Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodwork stuff

Options
  • 18-05-2005 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Need advice on wood working tools and costs etc.

Things i'll need are, electrical router thingy bob, sander, one of those woodworking desk things, clamps a plenty. And wood of course.

Does anyone know of decent websites for prices for these kind of things? Also does anyone know of wood suppliers? Woods like mahogany, maple, alder etc.

I'm new to this, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Welcome aboard Bonzai Bob,

Check out the stickies at the top of the forum page for Toolsuppliers and Timber.

That should point you in the right direction. Are you a complete novice at woodwork, or diy.

Have you had any experience in using power tools, or attended for any courses or evening classes in woodwork, and do you have a preference for hand or power tools.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

nothing at all, i did woodwork when i was about 12 and nothing since. Let's hope i don't kill anyone!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

kadman wrote:
    Welcome aboard Bonzai Bob,

Check out the stickies at the top of the forum page for Toolsuppliers and Timber.

That should point you in the right direction. Are you a complete novice at woodwork, or diy.

Have you had any experience in using power tools, or attended for any courses or evening classes in woodwork, and do you have a preference for hand or power tools.

How,s the saw Mr Kadman sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

bonzai bob wrote:
    Things i'll need are, electrical router thingy bob, sander, one of those woodworking desk things, clamps a plenty.

Bob, that electrical router thingy will whip your fingers off in a blink if you give it half a chance. I'd recommend taking classes before you start using this gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

gregos wrote:
    Bob, that electrical router thingy will whip your fingers off in a blink if you give it half a chance. I'd recommend taking classes before you start using this gear.
    nonsense!!:D

Are there classes widely available in South Dublin by any chance??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Nobody in south Dublin does manual work. Didn't you know that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Try the local schools for evening classes in woodwork. Definitely get some tuition for power tools. Gregos is right , that router is probably 750 w +, 1 hp or more, spinning cutter at 18-20k revs is a very effective diy amputation tool, GET TUITION. :eek:

Hi Carpenter,

Saw is luvly, jubbly. What,s with the sir, have I been knighted or what.

Advertisement