Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you secretive about your age?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Some people are very touchy and will even get annoyed when asked their age.

I don't really mind myself. I'm a 28 year old girl.

Would you reveal your age if asked in a conversation?

For the purpose of this thread "Gender not disclosed" is for the benefit of those who identify as neither male nor female or who are gender fluid.

You're a 28 year old woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Male - I'm very secretive
    If asked ill say it but im not where I thought I would be or would like to be at this age and feel a bit behind in life in lots of ways so I am often a bit ashamed to admit my age to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

As you can see from my username, I’m 35 and I’m gonna stay that way for a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gender not disclosed - I'm very secretive
    Did he remember to put his teeth in?

As long as he didn’t put anybody else’s in... “who swallowed my teeth” would be an awkward conversation to be having...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Life is so short and can be snuffed out in an instant

Be thankful for every day

The more years on the clock the better

The only ones I see trying to tragically roll back the clock are singles in their 40’s and 50’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Female - I'll be open to few people

The only ones I see trying to tragically roll back the clock are singles in their 40’s and 50’s

Kids these days *sniff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I couldn't give as rats who knows who old I am. The trouble is I don't always remember my age (give or take a year or so). Anyway's I;m male, 46 years old (or is it 47?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Not ashamed at all, I'm 13 and a half. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

I'm nearly 43 and I'd be lying if I said I don't feel self conscious about it, and will avoid bringing it up. But then again, another part of me is thinking "**** it, why should it be a secret?" It's just an age ffs - it's a bit crazy to feel shame about such a thing. And being all secretive about it is just helping perpetuate any prejudice (much of which is likely only in my head).

It's a good point that there are people with terminal illnesses or who have lost loved ones early, who view getting older as a privilege.

• Advertisement

Life is so short and can be snuffed out in an instant

Be thankful for every day

The more years on the clock the better

Even that's kinda prejudicial because you're bringing up their relationship status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭sporina

i'm v lucky as in I look much younger than my age - so I have no prob telling people what age I am - in fact, I get some joy out of it.. but if the situation wer the opposite I would prob b v defensive about it.. tis all in the genes though - defo not lifestyle (use to smoke, I worry a lot etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A very wise saying killed off any interest i had in lying about my age:

Never regret getting older. Its a privilege denied to many.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm not, I'm 37. I suppose I'm on the old side of young now. My perception of time had really changed as I've gotten older. I remember waiting impatiently for things as as child. When it was 2 months to Christmas it might was well have been 2 years. I'm watching Reeling in the Years at the moment and finding I'm surprised by things happening nearly 10 years ago that I would have said only happened a year or two ago. The years are going by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

No and what's this craic about women wanting to look younger. You are the age you are. My sister was on about a one she met on holidays who was 78 and she said she looked 50. I said there is no way she could have looked 28 years younger than what she is. Drives me fcking mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

coleen wrote: »
    I’m 58 and proud to say my age . My mother died when she was 43. Age is an achievement of a long life nothing to be ashamed of.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Female - I'll tell anyone who asks
    Not at all. I'm 43 and people often tell me I look younger, which is nice.
    I have an aunt who is 82 and I recently heard she won't use her bus pass if there is someone she knows on the bus. 😀😀😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Male - I'll tell anyone who asks
    I just hate that I have to scroll further down to check the age bracket box.

People tend to think I'm 10 years younger than I am.. and I get a perverse pleasure saying my actual age. I'm guessing that will happen less now that all the laughter lines are starting to show more clearly.

Male. 44. And I'm quite enjoying my age. Never really did like being younger... 20s were extremely awkward. 30's were fun, but the 40's are just brilliant. I expect the 50s to be even more fun, as I'll care even less about what people think of me.

All the people in their 40s. Oh I look younger. What if you don't though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Botox and fillers?

• Advertisement

Botox and fillers?

Nobody mentioned that but they would help you look younger definitely. I saw an ad for Trinny and her make up and she's in her 50s. She's had a lot of work done to make her look younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Nobody mentioned that but they would help you look younger definitely. I saw an ad for Trinny and her make up and she's in her 50s. She's had a lot of work done to make her look younger.

My 20yo niece has had fillers...it actually seems to be "normal" amongst the younger set.

My 20yo niece has had fillers...it actually seems to be "normal" amongst the younger set.

Ah no. She wouldn't need them but I suppose her body and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I don't care and probably never will. I don't understand why people care as well and get bothered as if it's their own business. I suspect it's because it's rooted in insecurity of not being seen as young and judged as old. Who cares for anyone who thinks like that, they're the sorts who need everything to fit in a nice square box.

A few people in this thread have commented that they look younger than their age or that people comment that they do. That could well be true. I don't know ye. But I gotta say, I take people saying I look younger than 37 with a generous pinch of sodium chloride. I think I look my age +/- a few years. But then I wonder, what does 37 or any age look like? What do people picture a particular age must look like?

Having said that, I was very surprised to discover that this lad from The Chase is 55. I would have said way, way younger. :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Labbett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I lie about my age on websites so that I don't have to scroll-down to the year that I was born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Not in the slightest, however, my husband often says that portrait in the attic is going to be found one day.

I got asked for id in off-licenses right into my 30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

I think the problem is that asking someone their age is a "Sizing them up" question and whatever answer they give will result in them being placed into a category, to see if they're either too young or too old to do something. Its not a question that has good intentions behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭sporina

gosh I think thats v sad if a 20 yo feels the need to have work like this done... and I mean that sincerely.. like - omg - if they are unhappy with their looks at 20, what are they gonna be like when they are 40, 50? :(

the issue here is deeper than skin I think.. insecurity, peer pressure and same from social media etc...

Yeah 20-year-olds getting cosmetic procedures - messed up. I don't care that it's their choice. Doesn't change my opinion that it's grim they feel that way about themselves at only 20.
    I get told it. I know I know - we could all say that, but I do. And my face just has fine lines on the forehead, otherwise no wrinkles.

My body is in sh*t though. That's where the ageing is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

sporina wrote: »
    gosh I think thats v sad if a 20 yo feels the need to have work like this done... and I mean that sincerely.. like - omg - if they are unhappy with their looks at 20, what are they gonna be like when they are 40, 50? :(

the issue here is deeper than skin I think.. insecurity, peer pressure and same from social media etc...
    It’s prevention rather than cure.
    It makes sense.

Would anyone ever actually say to someone ‘I thought you were older’?!

Addle wrote: »
    It makes sense.

No, but that doesn't mean those who say you look younger are lying. If I thought someone looked older or didn't look younger I would just say nothing, but I do say it when someone looks younger than their age.

Gosh fillers at 20 seems extreme as a preventative measure. Are they really thinking that far ahead?

No, but that doesn't mean those who say you look younger are lying. If I thought someone looked older or didn't look younger I would just say nothing, but I do say it when someone looks younger than their age.

Gosh fillers at 20 seems extreme as a preventative measure. Are they really thinking that far ahead?

I think he means lip filler. Fillers for the face are only used when it's gone so bad botox won't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I was standing in the kitchen yesterday thinking as I cooked burgers. My mother in law will be 70 next year and I'll be 40. A big birthday year bla bla bla what will we do. Then I thought again "I'll be 40". My stomach was gripped by an icy cold hand the more times I said it to myself.

It just doesn't fit. Every previous adult year has made sense, has felt right. Even turning 39 I was like "Oh yeah I'm 39. I am 39". 40 though. No. It doesn't fit. I reject it. It's not me. I don't want it.

I was the same. No birthday bothered me til 40 which traumatized me.

Worse, I look easily 10 years younger. Which I should feel good about. But it actually makes things a lot more tricky when dating. Women my age think I'm too young for them. Women who think they're my age then have to find out the ugly truth.

I should just start lying or keep it a secret but I'm an open book sort.

I didn't mind turning 40. It's not the height of middle age any more. 40-year-olds are fairly youthful nowadays.

But 50 - that's gonna suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turned 50 last year hated it at first but reaching a new decade is always a milestone and you move on. The alternative to getting older is death so best avoided.

So this Friday I turn 51 and I'd tell anyone that cares to ask.

Life is for living and aging should be admired and enjoyed and not sneered at or something to get upset about.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 greenfarm

Some people are very touchy and will even get annoyed when asked their age.

I don't really mind myself. I'm a 28 year old girl.

Would you reveal your age if asked in a conversation?

For the purpose of this thread "Gender not disclosed" is for the benefit of those who identify as neither male nor female or who are gender fluid.

I'm 31 and don't care if asked

What I would care about is calling myself a girl or boy at 28

You ain't a girl or boy at that age, far from it.

No matter how old you are
    The matter is how much you have !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It makes sense.

Heard people say it to others countless times. Lots of people are rude indeed, but usually not meant in a rude way necessarily and just thinking out loud without filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Male - I'll tell anyone who asks
    I’ll tell anyone my age but not my birth date.

I can’t stand the fuss around birthdays and would rather die than have card or a fuss made over me in the office.

I didn't mind turning 40. It's not the height of middle age any more. 40-year-olds are fairly youthful nowadays.

But 50 - that's gonna suck.

Shaking thinking about it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shaking thinking about it!!

Why?

What can you do about. Be alive and healthy and you'll be fine.
    Your life is not older and 40-50 is still young enough to do nice things.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why?

What can you do about. Be alive and healthy and you'll be fine.
    Your life is not older and 40-50 is still young enough to do nice things.

I suppose I'm not healthy so it scares me. Be grand though, got this far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

People always think I'm older than I am and I've always felt, particularly in the workplace I get more respect for it. Doesn't matter so much now I'm a bit older but it did in mid-20s or when moving into more senior roles. I'm a female in a very, very male world so any extra inkling of respect I can get, I will take.

Because people think I'm older than I look, they can be very curious about what age I am so I get a kick out of being a bit secretive about it.

So yeah, I don't care about age really, it is just the kick I get out of not satisfying the curiosity of others that makes me secretive. I'm only 33 but can't imagine I'd change my outset about not changing, my friends and partners are older than me in general too so I'm always young in comparison anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No big deal to me, if someone asked i'd tell them.

• Advertisement

greenfarm wrote: »
    I'm 31 and don't care if asked

What I would care about is calling myself a girl or boy at 28

You ain't a girl or boy at that age, far from it.
    "Girl" has two meanings though - young female, and slang/casual term for woman (the equivalent of guy, lad, fella).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I work in market research and the amount of people who get all antsy and protective when asked their age is ridiculous. Literally millions of people are the same age as you, get over yourself.

I don't mind people knowing my age, I just don't want you knowing my age.

It makes sense.

That kind of just strikes me as a sales tactic to upsell procedures. When you’ve captured all the people who already have the wrinkles, then where do you turn to drum up more business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Gender not disclsoed - I'll be open to few people
    I suppose I'm not healthy so it scares me. Be grand though, got this far.

Hey kiddo, I'm 51, have asthma, diabetes, bronchiectasis of the lungs, and some shít wrong with me colon, but i'm lovin life and hoping it lasts another few years, stop bringing yourself down with numbers and concentrate on yourself and you'll be a lot happier

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Hey kiddo, I'm 51, have asthma, diabetes, bronchiectasis of the lungs, and some shít wrong with me colon, but i'm lovin life and hoping it lasts another few years, stop bringing yourself down with numbers and concentrate on yourself and you'll be a lot happier

Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement