Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you secretive about your age?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Female - I'll tell anyone who asks
    xzanti wrote: »
    Give it a few years ;):pac:

That's exactly what I was thinking!

I was far from secretive about my age at 28 in fact I used to make sure people knew my age especially in work as people thought I was younger than I was and I wanted them to know I wasn't actually just out of college.

I'm a bit more secretive now I have reached a certain age!

I'd tell anyone who asks but don't go shouting it around.

I pm'ed Atlantic Dawn. To be fair, he's looking well for 73.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Not secretive about it and don't get why people are, it's just a number.

Although I don't actually give a **** what other people think in general, so that helps I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gender not disclosed - I'm very secretive
    I pm'ed Atlantic Dawn. To be fair, he's looking well for 73.

Did he remember to put his teeth in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Male - I'm very secretive
    A friend of mine has shaved about 6 years off his age. He even celebrated his "40th" a few years ago. Many of the people there knew it was a big fat lie.

I think it started with him lying to a girl about his age. About 8 years later they are still together. I don't think she knows!

It's very odd, but then he lies about pretty much everything, it's just how he is.
    I think it’s a sign of stupidity in a person if they lie about their age.
    It’s the 1 thing we have absolutely no control over.
    The truth always comes out (especially now that the covid vaccine is being administered by age!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Female and totally upfront about my age. Growing old is a privilege. My father died suddenly two months ago at 68. A lifelong teetotaller who loved hillwalking. I know he’d give anything for more time and currently I can’t hack anyone griping about their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lying about being older, seems a bit more understandable as it can help lend authority to your persona in a work example, or something.
    Lying about being younger though I find uncomfortable , it just comes off as insecure when inevitable you find out the real age through powers of deduction as you learn about them

I think it's all a waste of time though it's better to just be honest about it, people will treat you based on the age you look which you can't do much about anyway.

People who know me know my age anyway, and doesn’t bother me but know people getting botox in order to look younger.Can’t see the appeal but it’s popular enough and you’ve to keep going back apparently or skin will begin to sag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

No issues with people knowing my age....I'm always told I look younger, so why not bask in the adoration?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Haven't got a clue why some people are so touchy about their age. It is what it is. Embrace it. Lying about it only makes you look stupid when the truth comes out.

I was standing in the kitchen yesterday thinking as I cooked burgers. My mother in law will be 70 next year and I'll be 40. A big birthday year bla bla bla what will we do. Then I thought again "I'll be 40". My stomach was gripped by an icy cold hand the more times I said it to myself.

It just doesn't fit. Every previous adult year has made sense, has felt right. Even turning 39 I was like "Oh yeah I'm 39. I am 39". 40 though. No. It doesn't fit. I reject it. It's not me. I don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Female, I'm absoluty not touchy about my age, will tell anyone who asks, even some people who don't :)
    Being alive one more year should be a celebration, even if it's just for yourself.
    How old am i? I'm so glad you asked! Ahah
    I'm 41 now, it's a miracle I'm still alive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

gansi wrote: »
    People who know me know my age anyway, and doesn’t bother me but know people getting botox in order to look younger.Can’t see the appeal but it’s popular enough and you’ve to keep going back apparently or skin will begin to sag.

I'm 39, don't care who knows and get Botox once a year or so. Couldn't give a fiddlers about looking younger, it's because I have a frown line you could park a bike in and I'd rather not look like Brendan O'Connor unnecessarily when a nanosecond in the doctor's makes a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Female - I'll be open to few people
    Yes, I am.

Because, sad as it sounds, many would discount my valuable opinions if they knew my real age. I'd be dismissed as an old bat.

Especially on the likes of Reddit and Boards.ie, you crowd of innocent kiddies!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Ageism is rife in society. If you are a woman or a person of colour you can't conceal that to protect your self against sexists or racists. You can conceal your age to some extent though. So i can understand some people being secretive about it as they get older. Especially if they can pass for younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Female and totally upfront about my age. Growing old is a privilege. My father died suddenly two months ago at 68. A lifelong teetotaller who loved hillwalking. I know he’d give anything for more time and currently I can’t hack anyone griping about their age.

Oh and I’m 37. Forgot to say my age. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

I’m a 45 year old female and couldn’t care who knows. My sister will be 50 this year and she doesn’t want to celebrate as she doesn’t want people to know. My mother has always been very secretive about her age, never celebrated her birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭coleen

I’m 58 and proud to say my age . My mother died when she was 43. Age is an achievement of a long life nothing to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dinjo99

The Covid vaccine rollout has left a number of people where I work in a bit of a dilema.
    They are dying to tell everyone they have got the vaccine or an appointment but are reluctant to do so as it means people will figure out their age!

P.S. I’m getting mine on Monday and I don’t care who knows that I’m 56!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Some people are very touchy and will even get annoyed when asked their age.

I don't really mind myself. I'm a 28 year old girl.

Would you reveal your age if asked in a conversation?

For the purpose of this thread "Gender not disclosed" is for the benefit of those who identify as neither male nor female or who are gender fluid.

You're a 28 year old woman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

If asked ill say it but im not where I thought I would be or would like to be at this age and feel a bit behind in life in lots of ways so I am often a bit ashamed to admit my age to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

As you can see from my username, I’m 35 and I’m gonna stay that way for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Did he remember to put his teeth in?

As long as he didn’t put anybody else’s in... “who swallowed my teeth” would be an awkward conversation to be having...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Life is so short and can be snuffed out in an instant

Be thankful for every day

The more years on the clock the better

The only ones I see trying to tragically roll back the clock are singles in their 40’s and 50’s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Female - I'll be open to few people

The only ones I see trying to tragically roll back the clock are singles in their 40’s and 50’s

Kids these days *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I couldn't give as rats who knows who old I am. The trouble is I don't always remember my age (give or take a year or so). Anyway's I;m male, 46 years old (or is it 47?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Not ashamed at all, I'm 13 and a half. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

I'm nearly 43 and I'd be lying if I said I don't feel self conscious about it, and will avoid bringing it up. But then again, another part of me is thinking "**** it, why should it be a secret?" It's just an age ffs - it's a bit crazy to feel shame about such a thing. And being all secretive about it is just helping perpetuate any prejudice (much of which is likely only in my head).

It's a good point that there are people with terminal illnesses or who have lost loved ones early, who view getting older as a privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Life is so short and can be snuffed out in an instant

Be thankful for every day

The more years on the clock the better

Even that's kinda prejudicial because you're bringing up their relationship status.

Advertisement