Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Working" from home

• 13-05-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

As someone who works from home and has managed teams in an office and remote, I feel tools like this are badly needed: https://www.newstalk.com/news/remote-workers-should-be-really-concerned-if-employers-move-to-introduce-ai-monitoring-tools-1193582

I want to know what percentage of my employees are using their timely wisely vs those who are creating work for others. I want to know who needs to be called out in a good and a bad way.

This new working from home culture is creating an easy life for too many people and its high time management were given tools to hold those hiding in the living room responsible.

Ps. I'm on my lunch break.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

How can you tell if I'm dossing or if I am reading a highly technical scientific paper? I could spend 30 minutes with a pen and paper trying to make sense of one page of a technical paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

So how many times the keyboard is pressed and mouse moved is more important than what is done.

If you can't measure people's your work bar how many times they've touched a mouse and keyboard then you've bigger problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

JMNolan wrote: »
    How can you tell if I'm dossing or if I am reading a highly technical scientific paper? I could spend 30 minutes with a pen and paper trying to make sense of one page of a technical paper.

I can easily tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I can easily tell

I didnt ask if, I asked how

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It would be great if companies were candid about their use of such technology. Put them on the avoid list.

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    So how many times the keyboard is pressed and mouse moved is more important than what is done.

If you can't measure people's your work bar how many times they've touched a mouse and keyboard then you've bigger problems

You're thinking very small. We're talking about 10s of low paid people here. Their profitable inputs are quantifiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sales of Homer Simpson drinking birds to go through the roof.

A decent manager with good staff and open communication, something like this is definitely not required.

JMNolan wrote: »
    I didnt ask if, I asked how

Yeah man, I get it. I'm saying I can easily tell how..

gmisk wrote: »

A decent manager with good staff and open communication, something like this is definitely not required.

That's not a good use of their time.. these tools would make it easier to seek out the bad apples and resolve the issues. Why waste time insulting everyone with questions that are aimed at the few?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

If you come across as a manager like you do on thread it's not really a wonder your staff aren't motivated.

Low paid, not trusted, I doubt they do a lot in the office either.

• Advertisement

If you come across as a manager like you do on thread it's not really a wonder your staff aren't motivated.

Low paid, not trusted, I doubt they do a lot in the office either.

I don't have any attrition issues. Can we stay on topic please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

gmisk wrote: »

Did somebody mention Homer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

As someone who works from home and has managed teams in an office and remote, I feel tools like this are badly needed: https://www.newstalk.com/news/remote-workers-should-be-really-concerned-if-employers-move-to-introduce-ai-monitoring-tools-1193582

I want to know what percentage of my employees are using their timely wisely vs those who are creating work for others. I want to know who needs to be called out in a good and a bad way.

This new working from home culture is creating an easy life for too many people and its high time management were given tools to hold those hiding in the living room responsible.

Ps. I'm on my lunch break.

F*ck that for a game of cards. The restrictions will soon be at an end but home-working will probably remain as it can be more profitable. If you want to supervise your employees and micromanage them then you can buy or rent an office and ask them to attend it. What you shouldn't get to do is downsize your costs, tell people to work from home in order to boost your bottom line and then introduce a load of Big Brother tech measures to scrutinise people to the point of driving them demented. Where does that end up? Monitoring toilet breaks? Cameras peering at people in their living rooms? People getting a b*llocking for accepting a delivery or making tea?

There has been a horrible creep of work into people's home and personal lives; constant emails and phone calls, the feeling of never being switched off and the creation of a perverse competition whereby employees are in competition to be practically 'on call' all the time. You're paying people to accomplish tasks and do work that needs to be done - if you can't do that without peering into every minute of people's day you're a crap manager and a worse boss to be honest.

Serious bang of power trip off your post.

Ok, I get it, not just an authoritarian in the office - one on thread too.

I don't think my post was off topic, spying on your staff is not a good motivator, trusting them while expecting and evaluating results - works a lot better in my experience.

FTA69 wrote: »
    F*ck that for a game of cards. The restrictions will soon be at an end but home-working will probably remain as it can be more profitable. If you want to supervise your employees and micromanage them then you can buy or rent an office and ask them to attend it. What you shouldn't get to do is downsize your costs, tell people to work from home in order to boost your bottom line and then introduce a load of Big Brother tech measures to scrutinise people to the point of driving them demented. Where does that end up? Monitoring toilet breaks? Cameras peering at people in their living rooms? People getting a b*llocking for accepting a delivery or making tea?

There has been a horrible creep of work into people's home and personal lives; constant emails and phone calls, the feeling of never being switched off and the creation of a perverse competition whereby employees are in competition to be practically 'on call'. You're paying people to accomplish tasks and do work that needs to be done - if you can't do that without peering into every minute of people's day you're a crap manager and a worse boss to be honest.

Serious bang of power trip off your post.

The monitoring toilet breaks thing was done a long time ago. Have you ever seen the stats around productivity and savings when you cut toilet breaks in half for a few thousand people?

If anything that statement strengthens my argument, I'll probably use it as a comparable case study. Thanks man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Can you?

You have been asked twice how you can tell if someone is working and have evaded it twice. Thats pretty on topic tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Why does it matter as long as their work is on time and in good order?
    If you are in a volume job like customer services, their metrics will tell you - you do have metrics from the office days to measure against.

The monitoring toilet breaks thing was done a long time ago. Have you ever seen the stats around productivity and savings when you cut toilet breaks in half for a few thousand people?

If anything that statement strengthens my argument, I'll probably use it as a comparable case study. Thanks man.

What are they supposed to do with the other half of their shite? leave it on your desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Assuming you’re not trolling, and your extremely argumentative responses so far sugggest you probably are, why not assess whether staff are performing by their output rather than how much time they spend tapping their keyboard?

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Can you?

You have been asked twice how you can tell if someone is working and have evaded it twice. Thats pretty on topic tbf.

Baggly, no offence but choosing to withhold personal details in my right is it not? Unless you're telling me in order to keep this thread open I have to expose personal details around my business and work life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Not at all. I just dont see the point of having a thread open when the OP has raised a topic but isnt really willing to discuss it beyond flippant remarks. Maybe you can educate me via PM. In the meantime ill close this one up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement