Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self important people throwing their weight around

Options
  • 09-05-2021 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Any stories about truly awful and obnoxious people who think they're high and mighty?

I've taken a part time delivery job with a local small business recently because my own profession has been severely impacted by covid and will take some time to recover.

Today I was out on my rounds when one of my customers called me. Nice guy, explained that his house faces a one way street which has been narrowed by a new bicycle lane and he has no driveway. So he says I'm going to have to block the road to make the delivery. His delivery was small and it would take no time to unload so I figured there wouldn't be any major disruption caused.

So I pull up outside his house and within a second the car behind me beeps. I get out to see the driver has rolled his window down and the customer is telling him we'll be very quick. I open the back of the van and hear the customer tell the man "it's Sunday, relax". I have the delivery unloaded and passed to the customer within 30 seconds and am closing the van when the driver of the car gets out, phone in hand and takes pictures, possibly of me but definitely of the van.

He then says "I work in Garda HQ in the phoenix park" and goes back to his car. I got back in the van and drove off after wishing him a great day.

It's worth noting that all of this happened so quickly that the traffic lights ahead were red the entire time and I even had to stop at them when I got to them. So this man wasn't even delayed but he felt the need to threaten us, take photographs and generally be aggressive and throw his weight around about his position. All over being delayed getting to a red light.

I told the boss about the incident just in case anything comes of it and his reaction was "what an arsehole".

Anyway I'm sure karma will get back to this bag of misery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah, I suppose you never really know what other people are going through in life at that moment that makes them see red and act obnoxiously to people.

That's what I like to tell myself when interacting with people like that, but I know the truth is that some people are just a-holes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I misjudged coming out onto a T junction the other day. Thought I had more of an opening than I did and ended up causing the other car with the right of way to have to slow down to let me cross in front of them. He could have sped up or blew me out of it, but he recognised I wasn't being an arsehole and just got it wrong and let me through. I thought to myself, if this had been Dublin or Cork and not rural Kilkenny, it would have been a big hoo hah.

So moral of the story, move out of Dublin! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I misjudged coming out onto a T junction the other day. Thought I had more of an opening than I did and ended up causing the other car with the right of way to have to slow down to let me cross in front of them. He could have sped up or blew me out of it, but he recognised I wasn't being an arsehole and just got it wrong and let me through. I thought to myself, if this had been Dublin or Cork and not rural Kilkenny, it would have been a big hoo hah.

Arsehole driver behaviour is definitely not exclusive to Dublin. It happens in every corner of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You generally get more arsehole driving outside of Dublin, as people don't really care about rules of the road, and drive/park what ever way suits them best.

• Site Banned Posts: 36 Mr.Sir

Did the pizza go cold op?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

A guy rang me before in a call centre job (a now extinct mobile network). His daughters phone had been blocked for non payment and he called me every name under the sun with a smirk in his voice, “you’ll fix this now you ****ing phone monkey or so help me god”. I said you’d better hope god is listening to you because I’ll be at your house in 5 minutes and you can repeat all of that to my fist (I could see his address literally 5 minutes from where I worked). He rang back to my manager in a panic, ask did he need gardai at house, did I leave building yet etc - a real hard arse :rolleyes: Got fired but sucker punched them with the “I quit” and threw my badge at the HR manager, still my favorite customer service experience ever lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A guy rang me before in a call centre job (a now extinct mobile network). His daughters phone had been blocked for non payment and he called me every name under the sun with a smirk in his voice, “you’ll fix this now you ****ing phone monkey or so help me god”. I said you’d better hope god is listening to you because I’ll be at your house in 5 minutes and you can repeat all of that to my fist (I could see his address literally 5 minutes from where I worked). He rang back to my manager in a panic, ask did he need gardai at house, did I leave building yet etc - a real hard arse :rolleyes: Got fired but sucker punched them with the “I quit” and threw my badge at the HR manager, still my favorite customer service experience ever lol
    You sound rather self-important yourself ...

Good man. There’s no excuse for bullying call centre employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

"Coming up on this week's episode of 'Things that Never Happened'..."

El Tarangu wrote: »

Coming up on this weeks “people’s personal experiences but I wanna be an edgelord on the internet and refute them” El Tarangu explains how an incident that someone personally experienced didn’t actually happen because internet. Go **** yourself pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

El Tarangu wrote: »

That absolutely 100% didnt happen. Real life isnt that polished and movie- like!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That absolutely 100% didnt happen. Real life isnt that polished and movie- like!

I dunno. I've worked in quite a few call centres over the years, and I've witnessed things that you would think would be made up. I've personally witnessed one lad blow his lid and absolute blow the customer off the phone with a tirade of abuse. Granted, the customer started it, but even I thought he went a bit far at times. Threw the headset off, looked up, saw his manager darting towards him, shouted "I quit" and walked out. I've seen many similar but not as bad examples.

Call centres are horrible places for the most part, possibly some of the most stressful jobs I've had were in call centres.

When I was a Garda, we had a Sergeant who thought he was the dogs danglies. Always telling people what to do even if they were already told to do something else, always swanning around the place like he was the most important person in the country. He was always missing when things kicked off though. Anyway, I was given a permanent position which was indoors, a: because cushy, b: because no one else really wanted it (comms related). Different sergeant over me. I came into work one day, and within minutes the last sergeant said I was to go on the beat. I said no. He repeated himself, I said no. He said why, I said because you wouldn't ask any of the other permanent indoor members to go on the beat (keeping in mind if I was out on the beat, someone had to be in instead of me). I ended up point blank refusing until he said he was directing me to go on the beat. I said grand, I'll just run it by my sergeant and inspector. In the end, I had to apologise for not following orders, but he was told I was permanent indoors and he couldn't put me out. We didn't get on after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oooohhh handbags already and we're only on page 1 of the thread

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Username checks out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Any stories about truly awful and obnoxious people who think they're high and mighty?

I've taken a part time delivery job with a local small business recently because my own profession has been severely impacted by covid and will take some time to recover.

Today I was out on my rounds when one of my customers called me. Nice guy, explained that his house faces a one way street which has been narrowed by a new bicycle lane and he has no driveway. So he says I'm going to have to block the road to make the delivery. His delivery was small and it would take no time to unload so I figured there wouldn't be any major disruption caused.

So I pull up outside his house and within a second the car behind me beeps. I get out to see the driver has rolled his window down and the customer is telling him we'll be very quick. I open the back of the van and hear the customer tell the man "it's Sunday, relax". I have the delivery unloaded and passed to the customer within 30 seconds and am closing the van when the driver of the car gets out, phone in hand and takes pictures, possibly of me but definitely of the van.

He then says "I work in Garda HQ in the phoenix park" and goes back to his car. I got back in the van and drove off after wishing him a great day.

It's worth noting that all of this happened so quickly that the traffic lights ahead were red the entire time and I even had to stop at them when I got to them. So this man wasn't even delayed but he felt the need to threaten us, take photographs and generally be aggressive and throw his weight around about his position. All over being delayed getting to a red light.

I told the boss about the incident just in case anything comes of it and his reaction was "what an arsehole".

Contact gsoc and make a complaint if you have his reg, say you were harrased and made to feel threatened as he got out of his vehicle and used aggressive body language and tone.

Easy peasy

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I drive a lorry, most days I've to deal with some power hungry prick in a forklift or middle management who's aim in life is to show you who's the boss by making you wait

Mod

NoLuckLarry do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Northernlily

LOL, good for you. Fair play. Life's too short to spoken too in such a manner.

Mod

NoLuckLarry do not post in this thread again.

What you gonna do, ban me? LOL

:D

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    Contact gsoc and make a complaint if you have his reg, say you were harrased and made to feel threatened as he got out of his vehicle and used aggressive body language and tone.

Easy peasy

Jesus Christ.

Because he took a picture? What's gsoc gonna do? Tell Gardai (if he was one) not to tell drivers to obey the rules of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

What you gonna do, ban me? LOL

I'm starting to believe the story more and more. This fella NoLuckLarry is a bloody pit bull.

I'm starting to believe the story more and more. This fella NoLuckLarry is a bloody pit bull.

He needs to sucker punch boards.ie by deleting his account before they can ban him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Talk about self important people throwing their weight around, I remember a mod here years ago called dav...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Went on a run with a chap recently, some people are fcuking nuts in regards delivery drivers, we were being asked to unpack and setup stuff and everything, some of our streets really aren't setup for modern delivery vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Talk about self important people throwing their weight around, I remember a mod here years ago called dav...

What i have noticed here is the mods seem to have a vested interested in the topic their supposed to moderate so they be siding with their buddies....

What i have noticed here is the mods seem to have a vested interested in the topic their supposed to moderate so they be siding with their buddies....

Yea unfortunately there is confirmation bias on the forum, just persist with your views, you're entitled to express them openly

i had a kinda similar incident in a car park about a year ago. When in came out of a shop my car was just touching the bumper of the car in front.
    Now i am not saying i did not do this when parking as i drove in but i think its unlikely. He made a bit of a scene and said i damaged his 12 year old car and wanted my insurance details.
    I refused but i did give my name and he said who he was, i took pics of both cars just touching. i also took a pic of him and he kinda posed for it, i found out after who the person was and wonder if it was a try-on for a claim as if i had given insurance details i would have being confirming there was an incident.
    I never heard anything from it, it would have been easy get my address with car reg.
    Anyone who will not give a delivery person a break is a prrck...

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yea unfortunately there is confirmation bias on the forum, just persist with your views, you're entitled to express them openly

This is what oi do and am generally banned.
    I had a ban lifted yesterday and another one imposed.
    I cannot see the thread now but have a look if you want.
    Totally unjustified....

• Advertisement

This is what oi do and am generally banned. I had a ban lifted yesterday and another one imposed. I cannot see the thread now but have a look if you want. Totally unjustified....

Ah bans can be fun, it's always important to remember, boards is only an internets forum, having or not having access isn't all that critical in life. try argue as politely as you can, but do persist, you have the right as anyone else to express your opinions, and mods can be wrong to, they are human after all

Advertisement