Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best lucky escape you've ever had

Options
  • 08-05-2021 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

As the title says, have you had any or heard of some really good lucky escapes? happy accidents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

You go first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

poisonated wrote: »
    You go first

Ok, so years ago when I was in my early 20's there was a guy on my college course who was really interested me, ill call him Mark although its not his real name. He was really cool, everyone liked him, he was quiet and seemed really sweet, he was also a very talented guitar player and was in a local band.
    There where a few nights at college parties and nights out where he would walk me home or hang out with me and he was sweet and I liked him, I never saw him with any other girls but for some reason I just got this really strong feeling that I shouldnt go out with him or let things go further and I had a personal rule of not dating people from college as if we had a falling out/broke up it could make things really awkward. The course had a very small number of students and lots of interaction so no avoiding each other. I just wanted to keep things platonic.
    About a year or 2 later I started going out with this new guy who unknown to me happened to be best mates with Mark. As I got closer to my new boyfriend and started hanging around with him and his friends I learned that Mark was a sex addict, he had multiple girlfriends, cheated on every girl he went out with, treated his girlfriends really badly and was overall a complete d!ck who regularly slept with prostitutes and gave atleast one his exes and who knows how many others an STD.

He was a typical street angel/house devil that I could have got caught up with if it wasnt for my random 'no classmates' rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 L.driver12345

I always wanted to be a teacher and when i finished school I applied to undergrad courses in the subject I wanted to teach. I got into my chosen course and planned out the next 4 years. I was going to get my BA and then apply to the Hdip in post primary teaching, at this time to become a secondary teacher it was a requirement to have a 3 year level 7 to apply to the teaching course.
    In my first year of my undergrad everything was really difficult, I couldnt deal with the adjustments and changes, it was my first time leaving home and I had moved across the country. The tutors on my course were really mean and the students were clicky and unfriendly. I wasnt coping and failed first year of the course but I was determined so I went back and repeated first year. This pushed my plans back a year.
    I made it to 3rd year but shortly after this an announcement was made by the department of education and skills that it was now a requirement to do 4 years level 8 instead of just 3 years to get into the Hdip, justbefore i finally got into 4th year It was decided the Hdip was being changed to a full time 2 year masters. There was allot of annoyed students at the time because the fees for the new teaching masters had increased from 3k to 10k and new teachers pay had been massively cut. I knew that I wouldnt be able to afford it straight after college but I was still determined it was what I wanted to do. after my degree I saved all my money for 2 years and then applied to the teacher training, in the mean time I volunteered in special schools and worked in Summer camps thinking it would help me get into the course.
    Finally in 2014 I applied and got an interview. There were two parts to the interview, a written part where we had write a critical reflection of a piece of work within 20 minutes and a group interview. The group interview went well but when I tried to write my critical reflection the pen they gave me wasnt working. I always have pens in my bag, its one thing ive always never been without so took a pen from my bag but this pen to not work either, I tried everything to get it to work. I tried and find the interviewers to borrow another pen but they were no where to be found. I eventually had to leave. I didnt get a place as I hadnt completed the written reflection.

I applied for a postgrad dip in further education instead as a backdoor into second level teaching, with this qualification I worked in a few adult ed settings but couldnt get anything secure or in my subject and was still determined to get into secondary teaching but it just felt like there were always so many road blocks stopping me from getting onto the course and was beginning to think that maybe its not meant to be because anytime I even considered it something beyond my control happened to delay it or put a stop to it.
    I decided id give it one last try thinking my postgrad dip and experience would get me a place. I got my interview and felt really prepared but then Covid hit and the interview was rescheduled to take place over a zoom call.
    I downloaded Zoom, did a sound check, all was working fine. I was too nervous to sleep the night before but the interview was early the next morning so I knew id be feeling ok & not too tired. The time came for the interview and I logged in exactly on time for when the interview was scheduled, I was connected to the interview but my sound wouldnt work, I wasnt on mute, I have high speed internet and never had trouble with a live call before or since but on this occasion it wouldnt work. The interviewers became really frustrated and cut me off the interview. They rescheduled it for later that day but by that time id been awake for well over 24 hours and I was finding it hard to focus, I was feeling really tired, I was already stressed about the interview but now I was feeling sick with anxiety.

In the interview they asked me questions that by this stage I didnt have the mental capacity to answer. Instead of having a written part of the interview they asked me to critically reflect and describe a piece of work on the spot and talk about and criique a museum I had recently visited. I hadnt been to a museum in probably a year and a half or more. They didnt care one bit about the previous teaching experience id gained or my qualifications, all they cared about was how well I could articulate an on the spot critical reflection piece under pressure. Needless to say I messed it up and didnt get a place.

Forward on to when schools reopened I got some subbing work in a local secondary school teaching my subject after 12 or so years of trying to get into secondary teaching. When I started this new subbing position I was over the moon until I met the 4 other substitute teachers who were fully qualified and the 2 final year student teachers all teaching my subject. One of the substitutes was in her 40's and had been subbing for 15 years without any permanent job, another 9 years, another 6 years and the other one subbing for 10 years. I asked why they dont try and get a job in something else they said they cant get work in anything other than civil service jobs working behind a desk. One tried to get a job in a museum but was told she was over qualified.
    Then the reality of the job set in, it wasnt what I thought it would be like at all, the entire curriculum is so regimented it sucks all joy out of the subject, subs are forced to compete with each other for any hours available and the hours go to whoever the principal or vice principal gets on with best or sometimes hours are given to managements family members/family friends who trained as teachers, most contracts are zero hour and subs are at the beck and call of school management. We had to go to work everyday and perform for staff & kids, making sure everyone likes us so we get called back for more subbing. Management & staff constantly compare subs to each other, SNA's would undermine teachers infront of the kids and try to take over the class.
    I wanted to be a teacher to encourage teenagers, help them reach their potential, inspire and support them in more than their education, I cared about the students but theres no time for getting to know the kids, everything you do as a teacher has to be about results and if the kids dont get good results its a reflection on the teacher, if youre too kind to the kids other teachers and staff belittle you and theres school/staff room politics that all staff must adhere to its more draining than the job itself.
    Add to this behavior issues from students, monotonously repeating the same classes over and over and over, spending weeks filling out reports & correcting half arsed homework and planning lessons, dealing with parents and the teacher bashing in the media. In short the job was not for me in the slightest its just a pity it took so long for me to realise it.

I was never one for believing that things happen for a reason but I tried for 12 years to get into this profession and every time something outside of my control would get in my way to stop it from happening no matter how determined and dedicated I was.
    If I had gotten onto the secondary teacher training course not only would it have cost me 10k and fees and another 10k+ on additional costs I would have completed it only to end up stuck in an insecure job that I dislike for the rest of my working life making kids miserable forcing them to do work theyve no interest in and will never even have to think about once they finish school. I have a teaching qualification that means I can sub & earn money but its a side gig im using to fund the career I want and know im good at.

Never thought id see the day id say this but I am so happy I never got a place on the Post primary PME.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Escaping from Mammy's womb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm not surprised your pen ran out, L.Driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I’ve had a few, the one that sticks out the most was around age 9 or so we went to Clara Lara in the late 90s. Good collection of siblings, cousins, two uncles and my dad. On the way back we stopped at a waterfall, can’t remember the name of it but it took a while to get there and it was fecking massive. We were up the top and there was a wooden fence and signs saying do not pass this point and I think warning we were on private property and it wasn’t a tourist site etc. But the edge was a loooong way away from the fence and within minutes every one of us were on the grass/rocks further on.

Usual cries of be careful and no further than that etc. None of us were thick enough to even dare go further mostly because it would mean being bundled in the car and having to wait for everyone else in shame.

I slipped, and landed on my arse, but probably a good 18foot or more from the edge and water but everything between me and the edge was wet mossy grass or at least I thought it was. Noone seen me fall except my uncle who was at the fence a long way away. I landed on my arse but when I put my legs out to stand up I was already sliding, I ended up rolled over onto my belly and trying to get a grip on anything. It was all rock covered in a layer of moss that was like butter. Was pretty terrifying. My hands and feet were just stripping it to bare rock and I was in free slide for what felt like a year ha ha

I slid till I was about 4 foot or less from the edge, broke nail or two on the rocks and was filthy. I remember thinking how the wet rocks near the edge were way grippier than the mossy ones further away, but I must have been close to the edge and close to zipping over into freefall because it was all smooth as hell and eroded. The entire time my uncle was frozen roaring and gone a weird yellow colour and I remember thinking ‘I’m dead, this is it I guess’. All he could say was how I wasn’t stopping after we got back to the cars.

We packed up the cars and weren’t aloud mention it ever again ha ha. We also drive to Sally’s gap that day. That was probably the most disappointing destination I’ve ever arrived at. It was a crossroads and two sheep. Was cracking.

EDIT: can’t figure out where the waterfall was, Glenmacnass makes sense location wise (maybe not far enough away) but isn’t steep enough, powerscourt is too steep looking. Meh one to ask the folks next time I visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 White_hills

Was on one of those fast boats you get between islands in Indonesia. Safety records wouldn't be great. I'd been on them before so knew they were a bit dodge but felt grand. Anyways...

Boat breaks down whilst we're out at sea. Weather starts to change. Crew were fine at first and then start to panic a bit. They spend bones of an hour trying to get boat going as we just drift and what was a flat sea turns into a wavey mess with waves coming over the top of the boat and lashing rain/wind.

Some passengers are violently sea sick at this stage vomiting all around us and some English girl is crying and her boyfriend keeps shouting at the crew who now appear to no longer speak English.

They eventually get boat going but it can only go around in circles.... so we do this for a while.

Eventually got back to shore 4 hours later than planned going really slow. Checked to see if I'd phone reception a few times as I thought about calling home just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Ficheall wrote: »

I couldn’t read it, my lucky escape was when I started scrolling down, it just kept going and I’m thankful I didn’t invest the time into reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Danonino. wrote: »
    I’ve had a few, the one that sticks out the most was around age 9 or so we went to Clara Lara in the late 90s. Good collection of siblings, cousins, two uncles and my dad. On the way back we stopped at a waterfall, can’t remember the name of it but it took a while to get there and it was fecking massive. We were up the top and there was a wooden fence and signs saying do not pass this point and I think warning we were on private property and it wasn’t a tourist site etc. But the edge was a loooong way away from the fence and within minutes every one of us were on the grass/rocks further on.

Usual cries of be careful and no further than that etc. None of us were thick enough to even dare go further mostly because it would mean being bundled in the car and having to wait for everyone else in shame.

I slipped, and landed on my arse, but probably a good 18foot or more from the edge and water but everything between me and the edge was wet mossy grass or at least I thought it was. Noone seen me fall except my uncle who was at the fence a long way away. I landed on my arse but when I put my legs out to stand up I was already sliding, I ended up rolled over onto my belly and trying to get a grip on anything. It was all rock covered in a layer of moss that was like butter. Was pretty terrifying. My hands and feet were just stripping it to bare rock and I was in free slide for what felt like a year ha ha

I slid till I was about 4 foot or less from the edge, broke nail or two on the rocks and was filthy. I remember thinking how the wet rocks near the edge were way grippier than the mossy ones further away, but I must have been close to the edge and close to zipping over into freefall because it was all smooth as hell and eroded. The entire time my uncle was frozen roaring and gone a weird yellow colour and I remember thinking ‘I’m dead, this is it I guess’. All he could say was how I wasn’t stopping after we got back to the cars.

We packed up the cars and weren’t aloud mention it ever again ha ha. We also drive to Sally’s gap that day. That was probably the most disappointing destination I’ve ever arrived at. It was a crossroads and two sheep. Was cracking.

EDIT: can’t figure out where the waterfall was, Glenmacnass makes sense location wise (maybe not far enough away) but isn’t steep enough, powerscourt is too steep looking. Meh one to ask the folks next time I visit.

Powerscourt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I was driving to my then girlfriend's and I was late.
    It was her aunt's 60th and I was driving her and both siblings so couldn't be late.

Coming over the road I spotted a car with a puncture. I'd always stop to ask if someone needs help and they looked like the were struggling. But I really couldn't. Anyway as I was dithering the car behind me threw on the indicator and as I drove on I could see they stopped to help.

Anyway I drove on. Picked up my 3 passengers and headed to the party.
    Had to pass the same spot.

Blue lights everywhere!!!
    Bits of cars everywhere. Fire brigade, gaurds and 3 ambulances.

A car had driven at speed into the car that stopped to help. It was now mangled into the car with the puncture.
    (It was alsoa blue A4, just like mine)

Paramedics were dealing with 2 people on the ground near the tyre.

I rang the garda station the next day. Nobody killed but serious injury, that's all he could tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Ok, so years ago when I was in my early 20's there was a guy on my college course who was really interested me, ill call him Mark although its not his real name. He was really cool, everyone liked him, he was quiet and seemed really sweet, he was also a very talented guitar player and was in a local band.
    There where a few nights at college parties and nights out where he would walk me home or hang out with me and he was sweet and I liked him, I never saw him with any other girls but for some reason I just got this really strong feeling that I shouldnt go out with him or let things go further and I had a personal rule of not dating people from college as if we had a falling out/broke up it could make things really awkward. The course had a very small number of students and lots of interaction so no avoiding each other. I just wanted to keep things platonic.
    About a year or 2 later I started going out with this new guy who unknown to me happened to be best mates with Mark. As I got closer to my new boyfriend and started hanging around with him and his friends I learned that Mark was a sex addict, he had multiple girlfriends, cheated on every girl he went out with, treated his girlfriends really badly and was overall a complete d!ck who regularly slept with prostitutes and gave atleast one his exes and who knows how many others an STD.

He was a typical street angel/house devil that I could have got caught up with if it wasnt for my random 'no classmates' rule.
    Meh. You could get the clap off anyone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was driving to my then girlfriend's and I was late.
    It was her aunt's 60th and I was driving her and both siblings so couldn't be late.

Coming over the road I spotted a car with a puncture. I'd always stop to ask if someone needs help and they looked like the were struggling. But I really couldn't. Anyway as I was dithering the car behind me threw on the indicator and as I drove on I could see they stopped to help.

Anyway I drove on. Picked up my 3 passengers and headed to the party.
    Had to pass the same spot.

Blue lights everywhere!!!
    Bits of cars everywhere. Fire brigade, gaurds and 3 ambulances.

A car had driven at speed into the car that stopped to help. It was now mangled into the car with the puncture.
    (It was alsoa blue A4, just like mine)

Paramedics were dealing with 2 people on the ground near the tyre.

I rang the garda station the next day. Nobody killed but serious injury, that's all he could tell me.

We have a winner.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hi Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Not sure of the exact age but definitely under 10 years old. I fell from a treehouse into a clump of nettles. My head landed next to a concrete block. Only ended up with a minor fracture in my left wrist.

Also fell into a stream really young. Remember opening my eyes and seeing water rush past my face. Luckily my older brother plucked me out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Going to work one morning over the mountain roads took turn too bad with damp conditions "no excuse". Car went over the ditch into a fied onto its roof and only 2 windows in the whole car didnt smash - car broke up and wrote off. I was blessed really and came out without a scratch.

Another time a passenger in a friends car coming down mountain raods a few of us in the car - same again - onto its roof and over a ditch we all got out fine.

Both times cars fully insured taxed nct'd but that doesn't make up for careless driving on our part does it. Looking back we didnt have enough driving experience to be honest

Awwwww. I thought it was a good story L. Driver. Never mind the bollix! I liked it.

One escape I had was driving home one day and in the distance on the twisty road I could see three big bright yellow articulated trucks, one after another, and I thought odd to see them all like that in a row. As they came round the bend towards me I hit an oil slick, the steering wheel became possessed and wrenched itself from my hands and the car started to spin, completely 360 degrees, one time for every truck that passed me.
    Time was going really slowly inside the car, and I could see quite clearly as I spun round again to see the side flank of the next yellow truck.
    3 perfect spins, 3 trucks passed, and then my car shot off into the ditch and I had to climb out the window - not a scratch on me.
    The driver from the last yellow truck had by now pulled in and came running back towards me and he was absolutely frantic. Said he had never seen anything like it - how my car spun perfectly on the narrow road, never passing the middle line, missing each truck by a few centimetres.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

This was pure stupidity and dangerous
    Friday finishing work on site - only new to the job and starting out in the trade. Getting ready to leave for the day. I had to wrap up an extention lead. It was plugged in - i didnt know. So i couldn't un tangle it and thought - i know ill cut it and wire the plug back on monday. Well i cut the wire near the end but a bright spark appeared and i felt a zap in my hands. Nearly sh1t myself and left it altogether. Looking back it was so careless of me - could have blown myself up

I almost died from meningitis as a young adult. I felt the world dimming around me, and in me, and I wanted the darkness because of the pain. I wasn't afraid. But I recovered and here I am.

The experience changed me for the better, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Fella near hacked me to death with a hatchet. He went to jail a while later for GBH.

Edit: The GBH was for a different Incident on another person, I got away with minor scratches

Housefree wrote: »
    Fella near hacked me to death with a hatchet. He went to jail a while later for GBH.

That's awful :(

I hope he's away for a very long time.

• Advertisement

I too liked L.Driver’s story.

None of my stories are that great. At the age of 12 while visiting country cousins I was chased by a bull and basically had to dive into a briar patch, to not get gored or trampled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Bit OT, but - yeah.

For god only knows what reason I was discussing prostitution with a work colleague once, and I was of the opinion that 'you'd never know what you'd catch'. He quite reasonably pointed out that if you sleep with someone from a club, they could be quite promiscuous and you could catch something off them. Around the same time (about 15 years ago now) I read a short article stating that college age people were having so much sex and STDs were so rife, that you were a statistical freak if you were that age and hadn't had one.

Reminds me of that time I didn't go home with a lady from a Dublin nightclub because there was no johnny machine in the toilets. Always be safe people!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The one that haunts me is the far too close "encounter" with the speeding bin lorry on a blind bend on a Kerry lane.

Had I slammed on the brakes... at the speed he was going..I can still " see" the nuts etc in the huge wheel centre as I sped past into the ditch. Right against my window.

My fifty -plus years of safe driving in deep rural places etc saved me with that reflex evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

… then there was the totally insane landlady I escaped from when I came here.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

16 years old, desperate for money for summer I went handing CVs to all local restaurants and hotels. Thought a job washing pots or dishes or collecting glasses etc would be a good place to start off. Apply to one place and they stuck their nose up at me. 'Too young, no experience'

Apply to another and get the job. KP in a nice local hotel with a good boss and work colleagues. After a year, one of the other pot washers left and got a job at the first place i applied to. From what she told us, it was a horrendous position with no dishwashing equipment, one small sink, and an overbearing boss that had so many people on staff that people were competing for hours. She was begging to come back to work at the hotel. I like to think I dodged a bullet there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I once got offered a job as a labour inspector in Shannon but turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My friend nearly drowned me at Carlingford lake. We were on a school tour and our canoe capsised. We seemed to be miles away from anyone. Stupid b*tch couldn't swim, her parents were more interested in sending their kids to ballroom dancing and buying them grotesque gowns for competitions than they were in teaching them basics such as swimming. She panicked and tried to drag me down with her. I'll never forget it. Managed to not die but what amazes me to this day is the teachers supposedly looking after us didn't even notice and I had to tell them we'd almost drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 L.driver12345

No ones forcing you to read it. :p

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

Had a date a couple of years ago. Met up at a nice park with coffee. He showed up a bit late and I should have left because it normally shows a lack of respect. But things happen and I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We sat down and all he wanted was to go to a quieter park. I was scared but knowing how these psychos work they don't like people telling them no. So I sent a friend a quick message asking them to ring me and after the call, I made my excuses and left. The day after he sent me a message saying I was nice but I need to change my style and wear a dress and to give him my address and he will call around. Who was he to tell me to change and inviting himself to my place after a day. Well I spotted the red flags and I was right about him, he would have been too controlling. I instantly blocked him.
    A few weeks later he sent me another message from a new number and saying he fell off his bicycle and had no help. This was at midnight. I'm guessing he was hoping I'd save him. But that wasn't my job to. If he was bad, it would be a job for an ambulance. Either way, I ignored him and honestly didn't care if he died. A few weeks later, I saw him on his bicycle and he and his bike were fine. Thankfully he didn't see me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I always wanted to be a teacher and when i finished school I applied to undergrad courses in the subject I wanted to teach. I got into my chosen course and planned out the next 4 years. I was going to get my BA and then apply to the Hdip in post primary teaching, at this time to become a secondary teacher it was a requirement to have a 3 year level 7 to apply to the teaching course.
    In my first year of my undergrad everything was really difficult, I couldnt deal with the adjustments and changes, it was my first time leaving home and I had moved across the country. The tutors on my course were really mean and the students were clicky and unfriendly. I wasnt coping and failed first year of the course but I was determined so I went back and repeated first year. This pushed my plans back a year.
    I made it to 3rd year but shortly after this an announcement was made by the department of education and skills that it was now a requirement to do 4 years level 8 instead of just 3 years to get into the Hdip, justbefore i finally got into 4th year It was decided the Hdip was being changed to a full time 2 year masters. There was allot of annoyed students at the time because the fees for the new teaching masters had increased from 3k to 10k and new teachers pay had been massively cut. I knew that I wouldnt be able to afford it straight after college but I was still determined it was what I wanted to do. after my degree I saved all my money for 2 years and then applied to the teacher training, in the mean time I volunteered in special schools and worked in Summer camps thinking it would help me get into the course.
    Finally in 2014 I applied and got an interview. There were two parts to the interview, a written part where we had write a critical reflection of a piece of work within 20 minutes and a group interview. The group interview went well but when I tried to write my critical reflection the pen they gave me wasnt working. I always have pens in my bag, its one thing ive always never been without so took a pen from my bag but this pen to not work either, I tried everything to get it to work. I tried and find the interviewers to borrow another pen but they were no where to be found. I eventually had to leave. I didnt get a place as I hadnt completed the written reflection.

I applied for a postgrad dip in further education instead as a backdoor into second level teaching, with this qualification I worked in a few adult ed settings but couldnt get anything secure or in my subject and was still determined to get into secondary teaching but it just felt like there were always so many road blocks stopping me from getting onto the course and was beginning to think that maybe its not meant to be because anytime I even considered it something beyond my control happened to delay it or put a stop to it.
    I decided id give it one last try thinking my postgrad dip and experience would get me a place. I got my interview and felt really prepared but then Covid hit and the interview was rescheduled to take place over a zoom call.
    I downloaded Zoom, did a sound check, all was working fine. I was too nervous to sleep the night before but the interview was early the next morning so I knew id be feeling ok & not too tired. The time came for the interview and I logged in exactly on time for when the interview was scheduled, I was connected to the interview but my sound wouldnt work, I wasnt on mute, I have high speed internet and never had trouble with a live call before or since but on this occasion it wouldnt work. The interviewers became really frustrated and cut me off the interview. They rescheduled it for later that day but by that time id been awake for well over 24 hours and I was finding it hard to focus, I was feeling really tired, I was already stressed about the interview but now I was feeling sick with anxiety.

In the interview they asked me questions that by this stage I didnt have the mental capacity to answer. Instead of having a written part of the interview they asked me to critically reflect and describe a piece of work on the spot and talk about and criique a museum I had recently visited. I hadnt been to a museum in probably a year and a half or more. They didnt care one bit about the previous teaching experience id gained or my qualifications, all they cared about was how well I could articulate an on the spot critical reflection piece under pressure. Needless to say I messed it up and didnt get a place.

Forward on to when schools reopened I got some subbing work in a local secondary school teaching my subject after 12 or so years of trying to get into secondary teaching. When I started this new subbing position I was over the moon until I met the 4 other substitute teachers who were fully qualified and the 2 final year student teachers all teaching my subject. One of the substitutes was in her 40's and had been subbing for 15 years without any permanent job, another 9 years, another 6 years and the other one subbing for 10 years. I asked why they dont try and get a job in something else they said they cant get work in anything other than civil service jobs working behind a desk. One tried to get a job in a museum but was told she was over qualified.
    Then the reality of the job set in, it wasnt what I thought it would be like at all, the entire curriculum is so regimented it sucks all joy out of the subject, subs are forced to compete with each other for any hours available and the hours go to whoever the principal or vice principal gets on with best or sometimes hours are given to managements family members/family friends who trained as teachers, most contracts are zero hour and subs are at the beck and call of school management. We had to go to work everyday and perform for staff & kids, making sure everyone likes us so we get called back for more subbing. Management & staff constantly compare subs to each other, SNA's would undermine teachers infront of the kids and try to take over the class.
    I wanted to be a teacher to encourage teenagers, help them reach their potential, inspire and support them in more than their education, I cared about the students but theres no time for getting to know the kids, everything you do as a teacher has to be about results and if the kids dont get good results its a reflection on the teacher, if youre too kind to the kids other teachers and staff belittle you and theres school/staff room politics that all staff must adhere to its more draining than the job itself.
    Add to this behavior issues from students, monotonously repeating the same classes over and over and over, spending weeks filling out reports & correcting half arsed homework and planning lessons, dealing with parents and the teacher bashing in the media. In short the job was not for me in the slightest its just a pity it took so long for me to realise it.

I was never one for believing that things happen for a reason but I tried for 12 years to get into this profession and every time something outside of my control would get in my way to stop it from happening no matter how determined and dedicated I was.
    If I had gotten onto the secondary teacher training course not only would it have cost me 10k and fees and another 10k+ on additional costs I would have completed it only to end up stuck in an insecure job that I dislike for the rest of my working life making kids miserable forcing them to do work theyve no interest in and will never even have to think about once they finish school. I have a teaching qualification that means I can sub & earn money but its a side gig im using to fund the career I want and know im good at.

Never thought id see the day id say this but I am so happy I never got a place on the Post primary PME.

Fair play to you for your positive drive to not let anything stop you. That drive will definitely get you places in your new chosen field.

I have no doubt that if you had given up sooner it would have worked out worse as you'd still be thinking 'what if' - oblivious to how dissatisfying the teaching role actually is.

Advertisement