Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie should add their own version of Reddit's Gold.

Options
  • 21-06-2018 6:13am

Not sure how many of you know Reddit's Gold system, but it's basically an extra "Thanks" that costs $4 and can be bought for any user. It gives them extra features for a month.

It's a handy bit of extra revenue for the site and high quality posters like myself get some extra benefits.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

At its root, Reddit Gold is a premium membership to Reddit. Gold costs $3.99 a month or $29.99 a year, and it can be given to other Reddit members as a reward for good posting or just because you like them. You could probably give it to an enemy as well if you were looking to confuse them

On top of what a registered user pays now?

Registered or premium? Is it still 50e a year here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

It's a handy bit of extra revenue for the site and high quality reposters like myself get some extra benefits.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Would just encourage people to copy and paste shyte from reddit to boards and vise versa imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

An AH gone wild thread is something we could well do without.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: This is probably a subject best discussed in Feedback so I'll close this before moving it. Please note the change of forum and forum rules before posting.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread re-opened

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Thanks for the suggestion. Here's some Gold :)

Obviously there would be benefits for Boards if we were to offer something like this and have looked up what could be offered in return (more so for subscriptions than Gold). In that instance, some of what Reddit offers is useful, some things we offer by default to all users. There are some features that people have suggested / we'd like to implement, but then it becomes a question of what do you keep behind a paywall and what do you offer to all for increased functionality, etc.

Personally, I find it a little odd that people essentially pay someone for a comment; there are some very witty and creative people on the internet (here, Reddit, and elsewhere), of course, but am I going to pay them/a service provider for that? Maybe that's tied in with attitudes towards tipping culture (or maybe I'm just tight :D). But to each their own.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

One scenario where somebody might tip another poster, is if they say, helped them repair something like on Home Appliances forum, or somebody gave good help on building a new PC, etc. Things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Thanks for the suggestion. Here's some Gold :)
    Personally, I find it a little odd that people essentially pay someone for a comment; there are some very witty and creative people on the internet (here, Reddit, and elsewhere), of course, but am I going to pay them/a service provider for that? Maybe that's tied in with attitudes towards tipping culture (or maybe I'm just tight :D). But to each their own.

I don't get this attitude at all. If a stranger on the internet has enriched your life either by making you think about something differently, made you laugh or just given you the information you hadn't had before then surely encouraging that person to keep it up with the odd reward is a hugely beneficial thing to the site. When people do it by writing books, making films, music we generally try to show our appreciation by giving monetarily. It isn't that you are paying a service charge, you are just saying thanks in the way society has deemed appropriate to that person. In real life, we can show that appreciation towards people around us in many different ways but on the internet that isn't the case.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

I don't get this attitude at all. If a stranger on the internet has enriched your life either by making you think about something differently, made you laugh or just given you the information you hadn't had before then surely encouraging that person to keep it up with the odd reward is a hugely beneficial thing to the site. When people do it by writing books, making films, music we generally try to show our appreciation by giving monetarily. It isn't that you are paying a service charge, you are just saying thanks in the way society has deemed appropriate to that person. In real life, we can show that appreciation towards people around us in many different ways but on the internet that isn't the case.

No doubting that at all. Anyways, to each their own. If someone would like to tip someone for a comment I'm not going to campaign Reddit to not allow it :D

As for Boards doing it, obviously it could benefit the site; the key is to also ensure there are benefits for receiving such a tip for the end user.

No doubting that at all. Anyways, to each their own. If someone would like to tip someone for a comment I'm not going to campaign Reddit to not allow it :D

As for Boards doing it, obviously it could benefit the site; the key is to also ensure there are benefits for receiving such a tip for the end user.

I don't just mean though in immediate monetary terms. You encourage a better level of posting and you also encourage posters providing good content to continue providing that content. Boards is its users at the end of the day. Look after them and you have a better product which encourages more people to use it. It is a circle that feeds itself and works for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don't just mean though in immediate monetary terms. You encourage a better level of posting and you also encourage posters providing good content to continue providing that content. Boards is its users at the end of the day. Look after them and you have a better product which encourages more people to use it. It is a circle that feeds itself and works for everyone involved.

The scenario reminds me a bit of the system which prevailed in Junior & Senior Infants in Primary school...

Good behaviour etc got you a bronze silver or gold star to stick on a board with your name on it

Lots of stars meant you got to be teachers pet and were 'allowed' to clean the duster outside etc :D

Seriously though I do see how the proposed idea could have merit ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    The scenario reminds me a bit of the system which prevailed in Junior & Senior Infants in Primary school...

Good behaviour etc got you a bronze silver or gold star to stick on a board with your name on it

Lots of stars meant you got to be teachers pet and were 'allowed' to clean the duster outside etc :D

Seriously though I do see how the proposed idea could have merit ;)

Maybe we all just kids still at heart and a little more encouragement and a little less of the stick would make us all feel a little better.

Those pesky kids though where getting those stars for doing nothing of value :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would it be taxable?

Would it be taxable?

I presume it falls under how any creative content on the internet is taxed like youtube etc.

Before the smart ass gets there, so it's not :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think it would be a good system. The weather channel regulars are genuinely useful posters. For instance.

It's worth noting that Gold on Reddit doesn't even give any real features. I got it once and never noticed any differences. The real reason it's given is so posts have the symbol next to it.

Each forum could have a "gilded posts" history or something and the number of golds a poster has received can be displayed under their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

If a system like this was introduced, it could be used as a fundraiser, donating some or all of the money to charity. They could team up with a number of charities so the person paying can select who the money goes to, or just pool it all to Santa Strike Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I think it would be a good system. The weather channel regulars are genuinely useful posters. For instance.
    M.T. Cranium would be a millionaire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement