Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing - Rent Means Test

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What you think is irrelevant as you don't set rental policy for the LA's.

You know this is an internet discussion forum yeah?

You know the people on the Donald Trump thread aren't actually members of his administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

OSI wrote: »
    Should someone that is entitled to a medical card due to a lack of income be entitled to keep that medical card when their situation dramatically improves? Should you still be entitled to JSA or JSB once obtaining a job, just because you were once entitled to it?

You can keep your medical card for up to 3 years after returning to work.

Do they still do the Back to Work scheme for people coming off the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Those that find themselves in a position to live off their own efforts need to be looked after by the state that they fund. That is no happening currently.

This is a far more complex problem than taxation and how it is spent, we truly should be looking at the highly dangerous workings of our complex economic systems, including our financial systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

OSI wrote:
    Should someone that is entitled to a medical card due to a lack of income be entitled to keep that medical card when their situation dramatically improves? Should you still be entitled to JSA or JSB once obtaining a job, just because you were once entitled to it?

What's not to like about a bit of whataboutery.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The mask slips......

Ah, dont be like that.
    I could have worded it a bit more sensitively but essentially is that not the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    This is a far more complex problem than taxation and how it is spent, we truly should be looking at the highly dangerous workings of our complex economic systems, including our financial systems
    That would need to be a global effort. And will probably only be looked at after a profound global financial collapse. In the meantime, working families pay through the nose for everything with no hope of security of accommodation while subsidising other people's accommodation, income, healthcare etc. Look after everyone or else you build an imbalanced society in which some are infantilised and others are milked.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Citizens who are in social housing, who can afford market rates are basically bed-blockers prolonging the misery of more needy families through their selfish actions it would seem....

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

That would need to be a global effort. And will probably only be looked at after a profound global financial collapse. In the meantime, working families pay through the nose for everything with no hope of security of accommodation while subsidising other people's accommodation, income, healthcare etc. Look after everyone or else you build an imbalanced society in which some are infantilised and others are milked.

it actually requires both national and international approaches, but first we must actually accept this, we re no where near that yet, and i will agree with you, it probably will take another major economic crisis or two for true change to begin. i will also agree with you, working people cannot keep paying for this, but is the problem truly with the minority in society, and is it best to vilify them and ultimately blame them for these outcomes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Ush1 wrote: »
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.

True, its the system that needs changing - and its a problem that shouldn't be added to.
    My issue is with some of the attitudes expressed in the thread where its essentially a shrugging of shoulders and an 'I'm alright, Jack' while families sit in hotels etc.
    These people are part of the problem.

Diceicle wrote: »
    True, its the system that needs changing - and its a problem that shouldn't be added to.
    My issue is with some of the attitudes expressed in the thread where its essentially a shrugging of shoulders and an 'I'm alright, Jack' while families sit in hotels etc.
    These people are part of the problem.

It's much easier to bemoan the government should just build more and more homes for people, instead of saying that demographics of tenants are exploiting the social housing system in what is clearly not the spirit of it's function, also to the detriment of people who genuinely need to avail of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

El Weirdo wrote: »
    That's poorly worded. Turnkey does not mean that it comes with sofas, beds, white goods, etc.

Also, that's not local authority.

Also, as has been explained, very, very few (if any) tenants will be on the minimum rent.

Also, you haven't told me exactly which part of my first post in this thread is bull.

Last word merchants are a waste of time.

Read the links. Worship what you will.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Last word merchants are a waste of time.

As are those who bring nothing of substance to the conversation and refuse to debate the points made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can't blame anyone in the system just shrugging their shoulders. They played the game, they're going to look after themselves and their own. I cant and wont feel bad that I'm paying considerably less than market value, that a person renting privately is been rinsed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Read the links. Worship what you will.

I did. They make it clear that this is not the usual council home-for-life arrangement:

Speaking on behalf of Westmeath County Council, Cathaoirleach of the Council, Councillor Paul Daly stated “These homes were lying vacant and unfinished until the collaboration between Westmeath County Council, Túath Housing, the DECLG, Housing Agency and NAMA resulted in Túath leasing 12 new homes within this high quality development. The properties are leased by Túath for a period of 20 years and 9 months with an option to purchase in the latter stages of the lease. This development is a valuable contribution to meeting the needs of these housing applicants in Mullingar and I hope to see more similar collaborations between the Council and the affordable housing sector.”

I refer to the Dun Laoghaire apartments.

Fully furnished, brand new one bedroom some of which are €14.00 per week.

I know it is hard for some to believe.

I refer to the Dun Laoghaire apartments.

Fully furnished, brand new one bedroom some of which are €14.00 per week.

I know it is hard for some to believe.

Acquired thru a deal with NAMA, likely to be similar to the Westmeath situation. Not the council housing norm.

Income related rents FROM 14 per week. You'd have a very ****ty income eg the British pensioners I mentioned before, to be paying that little.

I've provided the links.

I take issue with €73 MILLON in local authority rent arrears. IMO the rents, enforcement of tenancy agreements and management thereof is a total sham. Walk through any of the estates and then report back.

I'm not going down the black is white road though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The problem with the perception of social housing is, people think putting people up in a hotel/B&B or the council buying a house to put them in or renting off a private landlord to put them is...better than building social housing the state owns and renting that out.

The problem is two fold, we've the ill informed spouting 'free house' and 'forever home' and a government loving it because they want a housing crisis to keep the industry heated and rents/sale prices high.

FYI: The social housing model is cheaper

We could enforce eviction on rent arrears, we could save the tax payer money by increasing social housing stock and renting out property the state owns....or we could continue using tax payer money to buy houses off the market, rent them out to those people anyway, fund B&B's/Hotels and subsidise rents which go to private profit.
    The problem is with a housing crisis we can no longer blame the unemployed or homeless on looking for a tax payer dig out. As it gets worse and people see friends and neighbours needing tax payer assistance, we'll run out of societal groups to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Ginger83

rob316 wrote: »
    You can't blame anyone in the system just shrugging their shoulders. They played the game, they're going to look after themselves and their own. I cant and wont feel bad that I'm paying considerably less than market value, that a person renting privately is been rinsed for.

Why not?

it actually requires both national and international approaches, but first we must actually accept this, we re no where near that yet, and i will agree with you, it probably will take another major economic crisis or two for true change to begin. i will also agree with you, working people cannot keep paying for this, but is the problem truly with the minority in society, and is it best to vilify them and ultimately blame them for these outcomes?
    Im not vilifying them, im vilifying the system. There will always be people who for whatever reason can not take care of themselves or their children.

• Advertisement

Im not vilifying them, im vilifying the system. There will always be people who for whatever reason can not take care of themselves or their children.

why not vilify the greater systems that are actually screwing us all, including the wealthy

I take issue with €73 MILLON in local authority rent arrears. IMO the rents, enforcement of tenancy agreements and management thereof is a total sham. Walk through any of the estates and then report back.

I'm not going down the black is white road though.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the arrears front.

But what do you do with the non-payers? Tossing them out of the house to sleep in the hedgerows is kinda frowned on these days. All it takes is one high-profile suicide of a tenant who was due to be evicted, and judged will be very slow to order eviction is that town for the next 20+ years.

Docking the rent from wages or benefits can work - but may just cause the kids to go hungry 'cos Man or Dad drank the rent money. And I'm not sure if it's constitutional or not.

But what do you do with the non-payers? Tossing them out of the house to sleep in the hedgerows is kinda frowned on these days. All it takes is one high-profile suicide of a tenant who was due to be evicted, and judged will be very slow to order eviction is that town for the next 20+ years.

Docking the rent from wages or benefits can work - but may just cause the kids to go hungry 'cos Man or Dad drank the rent money. And I'm not sure if it's constitutional or not.

if mammy and daddy have an alcohol problem, maybe mental health professionals are required to truly deal with the situation?

why not vilify the greater systems that are actually screwing us all, including the wealthy

When a better system has been invented show me where to sign up

When a better system has been invented show me where to sign up

we first must actually accept, what we currently have, is extremely dangerous for all of us, we re no where near that yet, then, democratically, we must decide what to move onto. there are some interesting ideas out there of how we might do this, and interesting ideas of how we might change our current systems. sadly, many of the ideas are no where near our political sphere

We used to try to get them onto a repayment plan by using the An Post's household budget.

In fact, if they were social welfare recipients, we encouraged them to sign up to pay the rent that way whether they were in arrears or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The tax payer is funding private profits of the construction/housing industry.

Every time we spend tax money on a hotel or private rental instead of a social housing build, the only people benefiting are developers and landlords.

Fine Gael are well aware of this.

We can continue this route or build social housing. Looking at it, the costs of emergency accommodation are increasing, the crisis gets worse and the tax payer takes an increasing hit.

But sure 'forever home'...something something.

Advertisement