Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This An Example Of Racism Or Not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I'm triggered, perhaps fatally this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

andrew wrote: »
    Ah, can't watch the video atm, you see. In any case, I don't think it make any sense unless it's in the context of a country with a lot of institutionalized racism (which would probably include Australians, given the whole Aboriginal thing). I don't really see how it could possibly apply to a white person living in Japan, for example.

Caucasians get treated very well in Japan. Black people don't but that's never mentioned by anyone for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Caucasians get treated very well in Japan. Black people don't but that's never mentioned by anyone for some reason.

Because Japanese are not Caucasian and therefore cannot be racist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I was going off some story I heard about Caucasians not being able to get jobs.

Hmm. I'm finding it hard to think of a country in which Caucasians aren't treated very well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I was going off some story I heard about Caucasians not being able to get jobs.

Hmm. I'm finding it hard to think of a country in which Caucasians aren't treated very well.....

True, But I know of no country that I can play the race card in either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I think it was in Baltimore where the police were accused of being racist and it turned out that a majority in the force, the police chief, the prosecutor, the mayor, senator and POTUS where all black. Even under the new definition of racism (prejudice plus power) people were claiming black people could not be racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Every race, nation and culture has done terrible things in the past. The Japanese murdered millions of Chinese in their go at ethnic cleansing. Africa had its fair share of empires that enslaved people, we only really know of the Egyptians, but there were other empires in the south (most of the evidence of their existence was wiped out by early white archeologists sure that there'd be evidence of an original white empire underneath all the black history).

Even Ireland has a history of being slave traders.

If it wasn't for the industrial revolution making slave labour ineffective we may well have ongoing slavery today.

Go back to sometime around 1000ce and you'd probably have white europeans complaining that privileged Muslim countries treat poor white people like mucksavages.

Go back to 30,000BC and you'd probably have neanderthals complaining of privileged Africans showing up taking all the good hunting grounds from them with their fancy flying sticks.

Swings and roundabouts. Hopefully in the future if black people end up being in a privileged position they remember these times and act better than humans have tended to act in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Whitey's on the Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

the Irish didn't enslave any people or nations

St. Patrick and anybody who knows where the name "Scotland" comes from would probably disagree.

mackerski wrote: »
    St. Patrick and anybody who knows where the name "Scotland" comes from would probably disagree.
    Ya, but we were so sorry for that one time we did slavery that we made him a saint as an apology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Caucasians get treated very well in Japan.

Try renting an apartment in Japan. Or applying for a job that isn't a typical 'foreigner' job (e.g. teaching English).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I met a Nigerian guy at a scientific course in Germany who had spent the last few years working in Japan and he was shocked at how normally everyone at the course treated him, he was just so used to life in japan as a black person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Turn down the volume and you would think it was an advertisement for an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

…the Irish didn't enslave any people or nations…
    Aside from the bustling pre-Norman slave trade, there was that spell as part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Plenty of the King's Shillings landed on these shores during that time, and it wasn't a time of isolationist policy either.
    Let me help: Zimbabwe and South Africa.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    …we only really know of the Egyptians, but there were other empires in the south (most of the evidence of their existence was wiped out by early white archeologists sure that there'd be evidence of an original white empire underneath all the black history).
    Extraordinary claim. Where can I read more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

The video definitely makes more sense if you live somewhere like the US or any country with a history of racial issues.
    Doesn't really apply to Ireland.

I thought it was decent video personally.

Being white and living in Boston, it's definitely a benefit, you're the same skin color as the "majority" who also have most of the money and power.
    It's always interesting to see videos that offer a different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adorable

Saying black people can be Racist is problematic and causes micro aggression.

Triggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The problem I have with American identity politics is that it uses "white" rather than euro-American. If it was the latter we probably wouldn't care over here.

But it's odd to have people from the world's dominant empire tell the Albanians how privileged they are.

I feel like unless you're in the USA, this sort of video lacks any context and appears more insane than it actually is. In the USA, seeing as racism against black people is far, far, far more of a thing than it is here, saying black people can't be racist basically means "the kind of racism a white person might experience from a black person is so completely different from the racism black people experience from white people that even calling them the same thing is a bit inaccurate."

The Irish sociology professors write and talk about white privilege as if the US, Ireland, Albania or Finland had the same history. White history is often generalised as European history, as if all Europeans were colonisers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I think it was in Baltimore where the police were accused of being racist and it turned out that a majority in the force, the police chief, the prosecutor, the mayor, senator and POTUS where all black. Even under the new definition of racism (prejudice plus power) people were claiming black people could not be racist.

Are you sure you are not thinking of The Wire now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

setting up a group based on skin colour sounds racist to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I thought of clouds and then a 99 ice-cream with a flake, the perfect coming together of white and brown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

vetinari wrote: »
    <snip>
    Being white and living in Boston, it's definitely a benefit, you're the same skin color as the "majority" who also have most of the money and power.
    It's always interesting to see videos that offer a different perspective.
    indeed,
    I was in Boston for my J1 summer, and seeing I was escaping the protestant marches in Northern Ireland, I'd often express how happy I was at getting away from a place scourged by rioting black b-tards

definitely something which got lost in translation .

Extraordinary claim. Where can I read more about this?
    Well there's emperor Mansa Musa who was so rich he destabilized the economy of mecca when he made a pilgrimage there he was so rich.

There's a bit of a problem with finding archeology in south africa because the white people are stamping out any finds because it could be used to counter their claim that south Africa was empty when they got there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

The problem I have with American identity politics is that it uses "white" rather than euro-American. If it was the latter we probably wouldn't care over here.

But it's odd to have people from the world's dominant empire tell the Albanians how privileged they are.

Exactly. These people are just showing their ignorance. How is a black person in NYC worse off than a white person living in total poverty in rural Romania or Albania?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

There's a bit of a problem with finding archeology in south africa because the white people are stamping out any finds because it could be used to counter their claim that south Africa was empty when they got there.

Not excusing SA apartheid etc but there is the question about where do you draw the line? didn't the Bantu migrations push out the "native" bushmen (who are genetically and culturally very different) and the Zulu empire expand its territories and push out other tribes at the same time as European colonialism
    Its definitely a thing where if "natives" or "native culture" is mentioned for a European country people will start talking about Normans, Saxons Romans (or whatever the local equivalent is) but will presume that if the locals are non white the population is native since time immemorial.

Racism and privilege are definitely useful concepts, currently though they seem to be most useful for those that want to gloss over their own class, economic and educational backgrounds.
    I'm guessing most if the black academics and media types have as much in common with the guy from the projects getting beat by cops as I have with an Irish traveller (when I am outside Ireland but in an area where there is travellers eg judged by those that are ignorant)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

True, But I know of no country that I can play the race card in either.

I can't help feeling you didn't think very hard about it. Clarkson probably feels that the UK is one country where you could 'play the race card'. The ' race card' cost him £100k today.

BTW 'race card' is a fairly dismissive term for, what can be, a serious issue in people's lives. It sounds scheming and devious. Sounds like you should feel sorry for someone who has the 'X card' played on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Well there's emperor Mansa Musa who was so rich he destabilized the economy of mecca when he made a pilgrimage there he was so rich.

The Mali Empire existed up until the seventeenth century. Archaeology would have had little to do with proving its existence. Is there anywhere I can read specifically about white people obscuring evidence of previous civilisations in Africa?

Not excusing SA apartheid etc but there is the question about where do you draw the line? didn't the Bantu migrations push out the "native" bushmen (who are genetically and culturally very different) and the Zulu empire expand its territories and push out other tribes at the same time as European colonialism
    Its definitely a thing where if "natives" or "native culture" is mentioned for a European country people will start talking about Normans, Saxons Romans (or whatever the local equivalent is) but will presume that if the locals are non white the population is native since time immemorial.
    I think there's no doubt black Africans were fighting each other and wiping out cultures we never knew about for time immemorial, and I'm vaguely remembering a documentary on ancient African cultures/empires.

But the story was about an archeological dig where they bassically tore away the archaeology they found that was clearly linked to black Africa in the assumption they'd find greek archaeology at the bottom of it, as black people wouldn't be able to just build these empires off their own bat and there must be a link to European cultures (and the treasure to go along with it).

I think the documentary may have had something to do with the early treasure hunting days of archaeology and the amount of damage and loss that occurred during that time.

There were certainly plenty of civilizations in the north of the country during medieval times that were at least as advanced as anything in the middle east and Europe.

I can't help feeling you didn't think very hard about it. Clarkson probably feels that the UK is one country where you could 'play the race card'. The ' race card' cost him £100k today.

BTW 'race card' is a fairly dismissive term for, what can be, a serious issue in people's lives. It sounds scheming and devious. Sounds like you should feel sorry for someone who has the 'X card' played on them.

Was he not penalised for hitting someone? Was the payout increased because of the ethnic slurs?

Btw nobody should be mocked at work, for being Irish, black, English, red headed, or Coldplay fans.

• Advertisement

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    Exactly. These people are just showing their ignorance. How is a black person in NYC worse off than a white person living in total poverty in rural Romania or Albania?

American supremacy. American privilege. That's what the Americans don't talk about.

Advertisement