Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your news from?

Options
  • 22-02-2016 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Personally my main source of news is The Journal.ie, but that's out of an addiction to the site rather than because of it being of value. It's atrocious. How exactly do you get a job as a "journalist" on that site, collect ten crisp packets and send away? I swear, most of their "articles" have been thrown together by their employees while sitting on the loo. I'd rather admit to working for The Sun than for that heap.

Next up we have Sky News. More trash, although the reporting style isn't quite as bad. But still, trash, and only good for a general sense of the main incidents throughout the world that day. Well, the ones Murdoch wants us to hear anyway, right after his minions have put their spin on it.

Finally, RTE News. It seems to be of a higher standard and less trashy, so I trust it more than most. Not that any one news source is to be trusted.

Where do you get your news from? I need recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Various sources. I hear about most big breaking news stories on here as I don't use things like Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

An oul lad in the pub. He even let's me know whether its a disgrace or a good thing. Usually a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The Guardian, huffington post, boards.ie and breaking news. In that order. I check the first two every morning first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

BBC News is number one usually. World news is so much better than Irish news, and they're one of the best at it.

RTE is the crappy Irish version of that.

Indo sometimes for the entertainment value, but I'm under no illusions - it's crap.

Then the Guardian, as long as I stay away from the opinion pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Intense dairy fuelled dreams. I'm not sure if I'm getting the news from this planet though. I had this dream last night that this fella called Enda called all his voters whingers and then laughed at them while nuking their planet from orbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Boards, Independent, and the Daily Mail (not sure which of the latter two I'm more ashamed of. :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The Daily Prophet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

All sorts types and sizes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That monolith, I touch it every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I generally stay away from the news, by and large, it's depressing. If something important happens, you tend to find out.

I read the Sunday Business Post every week and that's mainly work related.

After Hours answer: Your Ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

That monolith, I touch it every morning.

I hear those things are awfully loud

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I use the feedly app on Android. I get the news I care about and put all the celeb gossip and other nonsense on ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Twitter - various sources as I follow a lot of news media.

On radio - Newstalk and RTE.

On TV, RTE, BBC, CNN, Sky News, CNBC, Fox news, France 24, RT.

Then Google news, if I want to find out what is happening somewhere not in the news.

Yesterday on twitter came across a news item saying Saudi Arabia has nuclear weapons for the past two years, as it was said on Saudi TV.
    Yet nothing in the mainstream media.

By having various sources, you can come to a more balanced opinion. You often hear of stories before they break and become more mainstream news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

RTE and Newstalk followed by news feeds only get the papers on Saturday now, although I do and get a good English newspaper now and then and occasionally I get the Economist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭lc180

Diane from Accounts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Primarily The Economist. I also use the BBC and Guardian's websites.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

DareGod wrote: »

Next up we have Sky News. More trash

That's an insult to actual trash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

facebook and twitter mostly, I don't often visit any news sites.

on tv I have a glance at rte six one every few days.

for the major stuff its sky news, like world disasters, celebrity deaths etc.

I never read the paper nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

An poblacht and rt. Exclusively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

From various locations, on a wax-sealed scroll, delivered by a trusted associate on horseback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Local news RTE, Newstalk.
    World News BBC News, Sky, RT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

BBC sounds like it might be good.

I've heard a lot of good things about The Guardian, but are they true?

I'm trying to break my read+refresh+read+refresh habit, and keeping the junk sites away from my brain should assist with that.
    Akrasia wrote: »
    I use the feedly app on Android. I get the news I care about and put all the celeb gossip and other nonsense on ignore

Interesting! I'm going to check this app out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Oh, also, there's a news site called The Real News which claims to be completely independent and has no advertising, government funding or corporation funding.

It probably won't give you the news that your friends and colleagues will be posting about on Facebook or waffling on about at the water cooler, but it'll probably give you actual news that matters. Worth checking out if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I think Sky News is a lot better than it's being credited for. Sky News is every bit as good as BBC News. They have a 'tabloidy' look and feel to their output but for live events they are excellent. They are always very up to date with political events. I love their newspaper review and I quite like their presenters in comparison to other outlets that come across as a bit stiff and pompous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Guardian is great for analysis and context of events rather than breaking news. Sky news is only headlines without any analysis so you could pick up as much information by listening to propel chatting on the bus.

I have a financial times subscription through work. To be fair it's the best news source by a long way. Short and to the point. No celebs, no sport, no rubbish. News and analysis or gtfo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

My wife ........ she knows everything. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

reddit.com/r/news
    reddit.com/r/worldnews

mainly because the comments help me identify the bullpoop from the
    fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

colossus-x wrote:
    I think Sky News is a lot better than it's being credited for. Sky News is every bit as good as BBC News. They have a 'tabloidy' look and feel to their output but for live events they are excellent. They are always very up to date with political events. I love their newspaper review and I quite like their presenters in comparison to other outlets that come across as a bit stiff and pompous.

They give a tiny bit of information and repeat it so many times that you might think that's all there us to know about the story. In fact they barely skim the surface of any if the issues they touch. The newspaper review is an apt analogy fir the whole organisation. Imagine the headline was the whole story and they will explain that headline 5 times, but they won't go into any real detail.

It's not as bad as Fox News but the format is the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My mum.

She rings me anytime anything major is reported on the news, be it someone famous dying or some natural disaster etc although I have had to previously warn her not to ring me with political news as I simply couldnt care less.

Advertisement