Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever buy anything from an infomercial?

Options
  • 18-02-2016 5:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

You know the cr@p over enthusiastic poor actors and failed celebs plug on late night tv

I haven't - but wondering if anyone else has and was it cr@p?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Always vastly overpriced.
    The jewellery looks like something you'd win as a fairground prize.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've been tempted once or twice - but then I went online and read the reviews, that usually got me down to earth instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Firefox11 wrote: »

How to get a sweaty crotch without the effort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Advertisement

Aw yeah.

That's the morning horn sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

any time i am sick and cant sleep i wind up watching that crap in the wee hours. fantastic stuff, you APPARENTLY can get a 25 carat diamond gold ring for 4 installments of 99.99..sterling mind...not that crap euro stuff tho.

i mean short of going to the ivory coast and digging it yourself, wont get cheaper than that...

so to summarise...no, i have not...except in one case

there was a car polish that i saw. then saw it in B&Q and said WTF...why not...to be fair its actually pretty good. i use it on our cars and windows at home ...for the life of me i cant recall the name....oh and those high speed kitchen things, the magic bullet, they first made an appearance on those channels as i recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I am a fierce online shopper, but I buy from infomercials only every few years and/or when I'm loopy from pain medication in the hospital ;) They're good products about a third of the time, lol. I started 30 years ago with the "Hand Hammered Wok of China", which was a decent piece of kit. Since the rise of Internet reviews and Amazon reviews specifically, I am warned off a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MacTiarnain

My mother bought a Nutribullet once. Works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I always thought nutribullet was a kind of vibrator- fruitinvag so to speak...

• Advertisement

I wanted a H2O mop. I was totally convinced I need one. That thing was going to change my goddamn life.

Bought a Vax version in Harvey Norman instead. Effort of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

It cleans! With just steam!

mansize wrote: »
    It cleans! With just steam!

Heard they were good for taps,and grout and nooks and grannies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

JML products they just sound so compelling in fairness anything I have purchased form them has been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Was fascinated with the magic bullet when they first appeared about ten years ago (that long?).

Wife bought me one for my birthday that year. Wasn't cheap, but still going & used regular ally to this day. There's a good after market for blades etc on eBay. Most recent discovery was an ice crushing blade so margaritas all round !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Back in the 80's when Cablelink first added the Sky and Super channels there used to be an infomercial for a thing called a Gut-Buster which was a yolk for making sit-ups easier. We wouldn't have seen many infomercials before that and I think we were sucked in by the ad and ended up buying one.

Know someone who got one of these & swears by it

OU812 wrote: »
    Know someone who got one of these & swears by it

(chokes) Thirty dollars?

Speedwell wrote: »
    (chokes) Thirty dollars?

Nah, he said he got it for $20 in some store

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Speedwell wrote: »
    (chokes) Thirty dollars?

But wait!

Order now, and we'll include not one, but four additional Rollie brand products that nobody bought either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Someone bought me one of those JML pens with the supposedly titanium tip years ago. I was a teenager and had an obsession with fancy pens.

Of course I'd seen the ads and immediately decided to test the integrity of this apparently weapons-grade fountain pen. Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Wossack wrote: »
    But wait!

Order now, and we'll include not one, but four additional Rollie brand products that nobody bought either

Ah here - the secret is Vertical Cooking Technology. Sure that's better than nuclear fusion, easily worth $39.95.

And it's perfect for the office - did you not see yer wan with it sat on her desk, happy as Larry with her Rollie egg popsicle thingy? I'm sure her colleagues love it just as much, what with the cooking smells and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"I'm impressed" were the two most used words in every selling sketch

also i believe the audience were given ecstasy before filming began because nobody should get that excited about a mop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

maudgonner wrote: »
    Ah here - the secret is Vertical Cooking Technology. Sure that's better than nuclear fusion, easily worth $39.95.

And it's perfect for the office - did you not see yer wan with it sat on her desk, happy as Larry with her Rollie egg popsicle thingy? I'm sure her colleagues love it just as much, what with the cooking smells and all.

particularly like how easy it was to clean up

on one hand you've got some troglodyte who made eggs the old fashioned way = sink full of dishes and pans (though pretty accurate to how my mrs seems to cook; USE ALL THE DISHES!!)..
    and on the other, the magic Rollie, who only needs an ole rub off a dry cloth :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Bought a "TV license" once from one of those adverts .. seemed like a good deal.. never again.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The original nutri-bullet:
    The Juice Tiger!
    On Amazing Discoveries!

Then I really wanted the Europainter... even though I was only 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I found that my 20c disposable Bic biro wouldn't stab drinks cans or lodge in a dart board so I bought Penalli the wonder pen.

Would recommend

Wait, does Kickstarter count? I think Kickstarter should count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I bought the "ab blaster" when I was young thinking I could have a six pack in 3 days, it just shocked the life out of you. Only 120 punts.

Also bought the titanium 2 knife set. It was made out of some sort of titanium covered crackerbread.

Never bought anything after that. I see young lads in work paying hundreds for these nutribullshìt blenders, madness.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tazio wrote: »
    Bought a "TV license" once from one of those adverts .. seemed like a good deal.. never again.. :(

But you can now legally drive a TV so at least there's that.

Advertisement