Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian daughter convinced her Italian Catholic family to join ISIS

Options
  • 01-11-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

This story is absolutely astonishing horrifying and terrifying:
    Police wiretaps of their Skype conversations revealed how the jihadi bride, who changed her name to Fatima after the Prophet's fourth daughter, laughed about her husband stoning an adulterer to death and told her sister that non-believers should be killed in their own land.
    Her family are originally from the town of Torre del Greco, near Naples. Around ten years ago, in grave economic difficulty, they moved to Inzago near Milan to take advantage of a generous church and a local charity who helped them, according to reports.
    Under duress from their extremely determined daughter, the family allegedly agreed to leave Italy for a new life in the Islamic State at the end of June.
    But Italian DIGOS anti-terror police, who had been monitoring 'hours and hours' of their Skype conversations, swooped in to arrest them in. They were accused of terror crimes, imprisoned and refused bail for fear they would abscond to Syria.
    This week, in a unexpected tragedy, Fatima's mother Assunta died while awaiting charges in prison.
    Before her death, Fatima berated Assunta and the rest of her family for still living among non-believers, who she called 'animals', and insisted they abandon their lives in Italy to 'make hijrah' [pilgrimage to the Islamic State] or she 'would never love them again'.
    The phone-taps revealed her anxious mother innocently asking if she would be able to grow a vegetable garden in the so-called Islamic State and whether she could bring the family cat along.
    But the female extremist ordered her father to 'drag mum here by her hair' because she had 'no right to any opinion' and owed 'total obedience' to her husband.
    She did not shy away from telling her family of the brutality of the regime and proudly boasted that her husband stoned an adulterer, according to the wire-taps.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3264534/Revealed-Italy-s-Lady-Jihad-convinced-entire-white-Catholic-family-convert-join-ISIS-Syria-Fanatical-daughter-guaranteed-mother-terrorists-washing-machine-leave-pet-kitten-behind.html#ixzz3qHNOAxAZ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

How is it possible for people to go from being thoroughly Western to adopting Islamic extremism and going so far as to journey to Syria to join Islamic State?

There are numerous other stories of Westerners many of them educated who once drank, smoked dope, liked pop music, were educated, fun loving and apparently normal within the space of a few years not just converting to Islam but becoming a full blown raving religious lunatic and joining terrorist organisations.

Recently the controversial author Michel Houellebecq wrote a satirical novel called Submission in which France becomes an Islamic state as secular French society gives in and adopts Islam.

Could his comic novel actually be prophetic and that many more people will readily adopt Islam due to their disillusionment with Western society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know but it ****ed up beyond belief that someone can hate their own culture so much.

She must have had some kind of Hitlerish mesmeric power over that family for them all to abandon all reason in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There seriously needs to be sectors of the earth set aside for these idiots to reside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

This story is absolutely astonishing horrifying and terrifying:

How is it possible for people to go from being thoroughly Western to adopting Islamic extremism and going so far as to journey to Syria to join Islamic State?

Seemingly they were going to just move there for free land?
    So there claiming....either way the mail is after helping expose a Canadian informer on isis
    How did they get this info??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sociopath does what a sociopath does, regardless of what pretence they've latched on to today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There seriously needs to be sectors of the earth set aside for these idiots to reside.

AFAIK this is what Isis is trying to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 DrH Lecter

Maybe they weren't that bright to start off with, getting on in age and losing it a bit, and put huge importance on their daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

biko wrote: »
    I don't know but it ****ed up beyond belief that someone can hate their own culture so much.

It's not beyond belief, it is belief.
    IS believe themselves to be the purifiers of Islam and they are essentially a religious revivalist movement. Islamic scholars can argue the veracity of their claims with them but they believe they have the rights of it.

The culture they grew up in isn't their culture. It's ours. Western liberal democratic culture is the work of the devil to them. They believe that. They will die and kill for their beliefs. We better realize that. Ireland voted to let gay people marry: they throw us off high roofs. IS culture isn't Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

I once met a red bearded Dublin guy who seemed to have become a Muslim in a weird kind of Dances With Wolves transformation.
    He was hanging around with some shady Muslim guys at the GPO who were actively trying to convert people to Islam and he seemed like a complete loon. When I hear about Westerners who have gone full jihadi my blood runs cold thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

most countries in the west have a large number of people who hate their own cultures, generally on the extreme left of the political spectrum

but this case is different, here the cause is islam, which is also loved by many on the left

• Advertisement

nokia69 wrote: »
    most countries in the west have a large number of people who hate their own cultures, generally on the extreme left of the political spectrum

but this case is different, here the cause is islam, which is also loved by many on the left

The mad thing is that typical ultra-left wingers are pro-gay, pro-women's rights, secular, anti-war and deeply secular but seem to shout down anyone who points out that the agenda of Al-Qaeda and ISIS and Hamas is murderously homophobic, misogynist, violent intolerant, anti-democratic and seeks to impose Sharia on unbelievers. When you try to debate these idiots they call you an "Islamophobe."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Lot if it about. Loons, five-eighths of various kinds, disgruntled people with bullock's notions. Most of them wind up in Labour or Green parties, a handful go full spazbot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They blow up so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Pretty common though, this just happens to be a pretty topical and visible manifestation of it. Think of the amount of extremist groups, fringe cults and indeed radical elements of established ideologies that have spent years harvesting people when they're young, impressionable and/ or desperate (college freshers, recent migrants, the homeless or addicted, .....).

They may not always be as vocal in telling the world how much they hate their old life but believe me they do. Sadly it almost becomes a form of brainwashing where the person is essentially dead to those who knew them beforehand unless they agree to join them on the crazy train

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The mad thing is that typical ultra-left wingers are pro-gay, pro-women's rights, secular, anti-war and deeply secular but seem to shout down anyone who points out that the agenda of Al-Qaeda and ISIS and Hamas is murderously homophobic, misogynist, violent intolerant, anti-democratic and seeks to impose Sharia on unbelievers. When you try to debate these idiots they call you an "Islamophobe."

Oh be nice!

(maybe they saw the beards and assumed that IS were hipsters too).

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

I once met a red bearded Dublin guy who seemed to have become a Muslim in a weird kind of Dances With Wolves transformation.
    He was hanging around with some shady Muslim guys at the GPO who were actively trying to convert people to Islam and he seemed like a complete loon. When I hear about Westerners who have gone full jihadi my blood runs cold thinking about it.

I stopped to talk to those lads at the GPO one day a while ago around the time ISIS really started to get going

they never actually said they supported ISIS or any other similar group, but they were happy to say that they had no problem with killing gays, slavery, jihad, stoning women ect its was all OK provided it followed the rules in the koran, crazy people, one of them was a Dr working in Limerick, the other was a Polish convert

haven't seen them in a while would be no surprise if some of them joined ISIS

Are people like this comparable with misfits in the past who would have become fascists or communists?

The American writer John Reed and other American Communists flocked to Russia following the Soviet revolution and never came home. Many of them ended up wasting away in Stalin's gulags. Lee Harvey Oswald was an ex-Marine who defected to the Soviet Union and later returned to the US and shot JFK.

One of the aristocratic Mitford sisters became obsessed with Hitler and shot herself and some intellectual poets like T.S. Elliot, W.B. Yeats and Ezra Pound were supporters of right wing fascism. Pound ended up in prison after the war.

Cherie Blair's sister apparently converted to Islam.

When you look at the ranks of Irish republicans who find people who switched from lives of British privilege like Countess Markievicz, Roger Casement, Erskine Childers and Lady Lavery to becoming rebels. During the Troubles Rose Dugdale went from British high society to dropping bombs on RUC stations from a helicopter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Are people like this comparable with misfits in the past who would have become fascists or communists?

The American writer John Reed and other American Communists flocked to Russia following the Soviet revolution and never came home. Many of them ended up wasting away in Stalin's gulags. Lee Harvey Oswald was an ex-Marine who defected to the Soviet Union and later returned to the US and shot JFK.

One of the aristocratic Mitford sisters became obsessed with Hitler and shot herself and some intellectual poets like T.S. Elliot, W.B. Yeats and Ezra Pound were supporters of right wing fascism. Pound ended up in prison after the war.

Cherie Blair's sister apparently converted to Islam.

sure what about all those west brits poncing about in their arsenal jerseys, watching britains got talent and going on and on about making irish compulsory in schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

The poor mother was so innocent as to be asking about a vegetable garden and if she could bring the cat and appears to have been trying to please her daughter but not been planning any acts of terror, but has now died in prison. That is horrible and I feel so sorry for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I opened this thread to read it, then seen the dailymail link, and didn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Italian here, that news story is from a while back, but every time it comes up it gives me chills.

The thing is... if I think a bit more about it it's not surprising at all at the end. I've met my fair share of girls with those kind of beliefs and ideas. Maybe not the exact same ones, but as much extremist as those ones of the girl in the news story.

What's really heartbreaking is that her parents were probably manipulated by her into that sort of s***e. They already had issues and their world was their daughter. Knowing that the mother even asked if she could have made a little vegetable garden there, means that she was trusting her daughter that living there would have been just like home...

This girl made the news because in a way or another, maybe looking for something new, maybe looking for being above everyone else in her community, she crossed those IS recruiters. But there are so many girls out there being as much psycho, manipulative and extremist as she was. I hope this is not sounding too bad but really, just living there in some small or troubled communities you'll see all these signals from certain people, who are just looking for something better.

The Police did a great job, they are not new into preventing these sort of things way before them to actually happen.

The poor mother was so innocent as to be asking about a vegetable garden and if she could bring the cat and appears to have been trying to please her daughter but not been planning any acts of terror, but has now died in prison. That is horrible and I feel so sorry for her.

I don't.

She would have been able to inform herself about the nature of ISIS and Islamic State and she would have to be living under a rock if she didn't know about Islamic fundamentalism generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I stumbled across a documentary recently called "My Son The Jihadi" about an English family. A pretty bog-standard English middle class mother and her two sons, one of whom went off to Africa to team up with Islamic extremists. It seemed to have been recorded over a couple of years as they tried everything to get him back. In the end he was killed while carrying out an ambush.

It was fascinating, horrific, scary and sad all at the same time. Essential watching if anyone has an hour to spare.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-son-the-jihadi/on-demand/60654-001

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TommyRiordan

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

Yeah I'm sure that's a thing that's actually real and not at all made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A bit of Lebensraum, as it were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Girl I know in the southeast started dating a African Muslim in 2014 and has since converted to Islam. She had a lot of problems growing up. Father left her mother when she was a child, devout Roman Catholic family that she never fit in with.

She started wearing a burka posting up IS/Al Queda propaganda videos on Facebook it was at that point I blocked her.

She was bisexual in her late teens and supported the introduction of civil partnerships 2009/10. I heard before the Gay Marriage Referendum earlier this year she was handing out leaflets against this claiming homosexuality is linked to paedophilia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dial Hard wrote: »
    A bit of Lebensraum, as it were?

Well if a sector was setup that such people can move to and the rest of the earth didn't trade or allow any movement to it after a certain date that would be progress. They can have their own rules and punishment in their "zone" and nobody outside needs to give a flying fook what happens within as those within decided to go there and would not be a loss to humanity.

Advertisement