Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you secretive about your age?

Options
  • 13-05-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Some people are very touchy and will even get annoyed when asked their age.

I don't really mind myself. I'm a 28 year old girl.

Would you reveal your age if asked in a conversation?

For the purpose of this thread "Gender not disclosed" is for the benefit of those who identify as neither male nor female or who are gender fluid.

Are you secretive about your age? 305 votes

Female - I'm very secretive
    0%
    Female - I'll be open to few people
    0%
    Day Lewin1966Voguementol 3 votes
    Female - I'll tell anyone who asks
    2%
    AglomeradoseablueMeathlassTaurielSusie_TootsappledropbitofabindNothing surprises me nowshtpEdthePlum 9 votes
    Male - I'm very secretive
    20%
    sunbeamgogoPherekydesWitchierain onxzantiNew Homecoleenmariaalicecute_cowjukeLollipops23freckliermistress_giLobsterladyger vallelyabellewsporinaXxMCRxBabyxXeviltwin 62 votes
    Male - I'll be open to few people
    2%
    Crumbspeter4918fryuprobwen11wingnutFalse ProphetVologda69cumulonimbus 8 votes
    Male - I'll tell anyone who asks
    6%
    GreyfoxshockwavethebourkeFanny WankbeertonscherryghostdaheffstoneillDMcL1971perfectisthesome random drunkPete123456whatawaster81Junkyard Tomlostgoatpaw patrolJoe Don DanteSnails pace[Deleted User]riewomann 21 votes
    Gender not disclosed - I'm very secretive
    65%
    seamusednwirelandCalibos[Deleted User]ZhanelintdrummerBadly Drunk BoyZaphBubonicSheep ShaggerPyr0DoctorEdgeWildPadraig MorA Dub in Glasgokenmcconor222JupiterKidBraveDonutDave147Wibbs 200 votes
    Gender not disclsoed - I'll be open to few people
    0%
    uchFr_Dougal 2 votes
    Gender not disclosed - I'll tell anyone who asks
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ask me and find out...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Give it a few years ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

frag420 wrote: »
    Ask me and find out...

Thats mad, I was only thinking about you earlier Frag

Not at all. I'm 107.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Id as you why do you need to know my age? Ive no problem telling you if theres a good reason for you to know. Falls square into the 'none of your fcuking buisness' category for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

The issue is that as you get into your 30s suddenly it starts to mater more. If you’re 28 it’s almost an optimal age. As you hit your late 30s all that changes and people get judgemental about age in reference to relationship status, career point, starting new things and just start putting people in boxes.

That’s largely why people tend to just stop making a big deal out of landmark birthdays. Rather than something to celebrate, they become somewhat more negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Thats mad, I was only thinking about you earlier Frag

Hope you cleaned up afterwards...

39 and couldn't give two hoots who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I work in market research and the amount of people who get all antsy and protective when asked their age is ridiculous. Literally millions of people are the same age as you, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Eh I think the word is "forgetful", genuinely

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I work in market research and the amount of people who get all antsy and protective when asked their age is ridiculous. Literally millions of people are the same age as you, get over yourself.

I just don’t engage with market researchers. They’re far too nosey. Data mining apps already know enough!

FunLover18 wrote: »

All the data belong to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's not that I have a problem telling people how old I am, it's just I forget half the time and need to think about it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I always answer but hate been asked as everyone who asks is always a lot younger than me

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm so old, I forget. Maybe there's no secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's such a weird one. I know someone who is obsessed about this and has been her whole life. Her own children aren't even entirely sure what year she was born and she won't let her husband tell people HIS year of birth because then they'll have a rough idea what age she is.

It's not like she's in her mid-40s trying to pretend she's early 30s. She's in her 70s and nobody is under any illusion that she's younger than that.

I don't get it at all. It's not like aging is something some people get to avoid. There's no shame in it.

It works the other way too. I had an great aunt in law, who was quite blunt age but also quite fixated on knowing and discussing everyone’s age. My grandmother was the totally opposite and hated her age being mentioned.

“Hello there (insert name), how old are you now? 50 is it? No I’m 38. Yeah, you’re getting on. Are you not married yet? Pity. Yeah. Sure you’ll find someone eventually. Yeah…”

One day she introduced my gran to a friend of hers as “this is my sister in law, (name), she’s 78.”

There was a long …. silence.

Followed by: “well, some of us are just lucky age better than others.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I’m 46 and delighted I’m still here. A lot of people I went to school with aren’t. Couldn’t care less who knows what age I am.

A date was going well for me until she found out that I was near a decade older than she thought I was. It isn't my fault I have good genes. I hadn't gone to any effort to conceal my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I sometimes pretend I’m older so people can be amazed how good I look :D

Seriously though age is nothing to be embarrassed about, it’s a privilege to live long enough to be considered old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

What's the big secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd tell anyone who asks but don't go shouting it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I might have said but the whole what sex do
    you identify with option nonsense has totally put me off.

More f’ing boxes to be stuffed into. Lode of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Male - I'll be open to few people
    i'm getting to that age that i need to be economical with the truth about my age for employment and dating purposes

employers think you haven't got the physical energy anymore and ladies think your no good in bed once your past a certain sell by date - north of 40

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I was born at a very young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A friend of mine has shaved about 6 years off his age. He even celebrated his "40th" a few years ago. Many of the people there knew it was a big fat lie.

I think it started with him lying to a girl about his age. About 8 years later they are still together. I don't think she knows!

It's very odd, but then he lies about pretty much everything, it's just how he is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

46 years of age now and not bothered who knows it or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

For the purpose of this thread "Gender not disclosed" is for the benefit of those who identify as neither male nor female or who are gender fluid.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am 43 and a half

and proud of it

• Advertisement

Not at all. I'm 4 and I'm proud!

Advertisement