Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two factor authentication

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Text verification is widely acknowledged to be an insecure form of two-factor authentication because it's vulnerable to SIM swap attacks. A 2FA app such as Google Authenticator is more secure. Better still, a U2F key.

That all sounds great but, I'm afraid, means absolutely nothing to me. Ulster Bank send a text and I don't use apps, or the internet on my phone, or a U2F key thingamajig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

That all sounds great but, I'm afraid, means absolutely nothing to me. Ulster Bank send a text and I don't use apps, or the internet on my phone, or a U2F key thingamajig.

I'm just saying that a financial institution such as a bank should not be using an insecure form of 2FA, such as sending text messages. There are other ways to do two-factor authentication that are more secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

I hate 2FA, im currently stuck abroad with ****ty internet structure and also now my Irish Sim has stopped working, i had to turn it on periodically to log in the the AIB internet banking site, now i cant as i have no phone, Trying to do a bank tranfer and buy international evacation fligh..
    whats the best process to be able to have full access to my online banking with AIB, i already changed my verified with visa number to my local number here which is already tied to my wifes AIB account.., can i do the same for the AIB 2fa? completely lost in this matter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

SoulRock wrote: »
    I hate 2FA, im currently stuck abroad with ****ty internet structure and also now my Irish Sim has stopped working, i had to turn it on periodically to log in the the AIB internet banking site, now i cant as i have no phone, Trying to do a bank tranfer and buy international evacation fligh..
    whats the best process to be able to have full access to my online banking with AIB, i already changed my verified with visa number to my local number here which is already tied to my wifes AIB account.., can i do the same for the AIB 2fa? completely lost in this matter..

you can change which phone the push notifications come to for sure. Use phone banking if you need it sorted now either, or give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I hate 2FA

Yep. It's an absolute monumental pain in the hole.

hots wrote: »
    you can change which phone the push notifications come to for sure. Use phone banking if you need it sorted now either, or give them a call.

According to the AIB website..

"I have an international phone number, can I set up for SCA?

You can only set up SCA with your mobile device with an Irish or UK Mobile Number. However you can still access the AIB Mobile Banking App and set up for SCA with a Card Reader instead."

What the hell is someone to do, especially being stuck abroad?
    its bull ****.. and SMS authentication to log in to my bank online is ridiculous anyway, super unsecure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Tony EH wrote: »

Yeah security sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Tony EH wrote: »

Would you prefer if the bank gave you an option to have zero security on your accounts ?

Personally I dislike the fact that the bank has access to my phone (technical point but anyone who knows the amount of information carried by a person in their phone and access some apps require it can be scary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Would you prefer if the bank gave you an option to have zero security on your accounts ?
    "I think these five locks on the door are excessive."
    "Do you want to just leave the door open??"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

2FA is fine and really easy to use. I use 2FA on every service I use that allows it. The issue is with AIB reinventing the wheel for their implementation of 2FA. If they just let people use a code generator like Authy, it would be easy to implement and use and there would have been no problem. Instead they've developed a convoluted way of doing it which frankly just sucks.

According to the AIB website..

"I have an international phone number, can I set up for SCA?

You can only set up SCA with your mobile device with an Irish or UK Mobile Number. However you can still access the AIB Mobile Banking App and set up for SCA with a Card Reader instead."

What the hell is someone to do, especially being stuck abroad?
    its bull ****.. and SMS authentication to log in to my bank online is ridiculous anyway, super unsecure..

if you're abroad and don't have an irish number you should use a card reader by the looks of things. They're not using SMS authentication except for outlier cases, it's a push notification.

Yeah security sucks!

You think 2fa on Aib is secure? and i'd rather access to my account with my money.. Im stuck abroad and cant even access my funds.. need an Irish sim..
    mine just died..
    its a f*cking joke tbh

hots wrote: »
    if you're abroad and don't have an irish number you should use a card reader by the looks of things. They're not using SMS authentication except for outlier cases, it's a push notification.

Dont have a card reader with me.. been stuck here (Indian subcontinent) for months didnt think to bring it.. :(

Ficheall wrote: »
    "I think these five locks on the door are excessive."
    "Do you want to just leave the door open??"

Gas how for some people everything gets reduced down to a binary choice. :pac:

AIB rep said the only way i can transfer funds in to send to revolute or transferwise account then do the transfer from there... AIB's 2fa is ridiculous and please dont say its for security, 2fa through the phone is not the best way.. its a joke tbh
    thanks for replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

2fa is simple on Gmail, you go to security settings put in your phone no.
    If you use a new device or try and open Gmail
    In a Web cafe it just ask you to put in your phone no then it sends a code to your phone by sms.
    Since many people use Gmail to open accounts
    with banks or to setup apps I think it's important to use 2fa.
    Unless you lose your phone or your sim card I don't see how you could ot locked out of your account.
    If you get a new sim card you can also change the phone no in Gmail security settings.
    Of course in America there's a lot of sim card hacking where hackers use social engineering
    to take over someones sim card and then use 2fa to get access to their bank accounts

If I try to login to my Gmail account from a webcafe I put in my password, username, it blocks me and says please input your phone
    no to recieve a 2fa code by sms.
    Eg it presumes i, m a hacker cos i am using a new ip address on a new pc.

Dont have a card reader with me.. been stuck here (Indian subcontinent) for months didnt think to bring it.. :(

to be fair that's not AIB's fault...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

riclad wrote: »
    If I try to login to my Gmail account from a webcafe I put in my password, username, it blocks me and says please input your phone
    no to recieve a 2fa code by sms.
    Eg it presumes i, m a hacker cos i am using a new ip address on a new pc.

You trust hotspots or public WiFi? I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Well, why don't you just open an Indian bank account?

You do realise that AIB (and all other Irish banks) are intended for people who actually live in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Seems Google is now making 2fa mandatory. Sigh. So will need my phone to check my email etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why not just check your email on your phone?

No 2fa needed.

I don't want to write emails on a phone, for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's very frustrating, also AIB can Fook off with telling me I need a card reader when I've been transferring money fine for the last 15 years

It's a pain in the hole that I can't log in through my laptop any more.. it just keeps saying authenticating on my phone, if I want to log in with the app on my phone I'll do that but I should be able to just login on my laptop. I usually just use the aib app but the aib app won't let me add payees for sending money to new people

I've hated this shit since it came in. i still have trouble on occasion even trying to see my bank account because of it. But now the missus is having a torrid time trying to do anything online because of this authentication crap. See can't even pay her motor tax at the moment because of it. The BoI rep she talked to that they have inundated with calls because of it.

What an absolute bloody farce. Without a doubt, far more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i find it incredibility frustrating for online banking.

you dont need 2FA if using your phone, but you do if using a computer.

what are you more likely to lose?

If I try to read my email or look at YouTube on a pc, I get input password , OK, then I get click 2fa,eg click on your phone , yes to log in, I just want to watch videos on YouTube, it's annoying,

I understand its necessary for Gmail security 2fa as many people have email financial info receipts etc

I have no bank account linked to Gmail . I don't use online banking

I just go to a bank take out money or deposit it in person

No login needed to watch YouTube on my phone. 2fa is necessary cos hackers can get acess to pc passwords or send people phishing emails that look as if they are from a bank or credit card company

Some people are stupid enough to click on random emails that maybe look as if they from your bank finance app etc they set up fake websites just to get peoples login user name and password

Advertisement