Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18 year age gap with woman

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

professore wrote: »
    The main reason is because WOMEN comment on these things. Men generally couldn't care less. "Socially accepted" actually means "socially accepted by women".

Nope, both men and women commenting in the example I gave. And that’s not the only instance I’ve experienced in my life of men commenting on older women/younger men couples. It is most certainly not just women. Now now.

I’m always bemused by the general notion that men don’t gossip. LOL.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

professore wrote: »
    The main reason is because WOMEN comment on these things. Men generally couldn't care less. "Socially accepted" actually means "socially accepted by women".
    There could be something to that. Women are very much the backbone of social society and how such things are viewed. Thinking back when I was in "age gap" relationships the men I knew rarely if ever commented, I did get more comments, usually in the negative from women. To be precise women acquaintances, women friends no, they were supportive(and more openly so, as I have found women mates to be in general. Unless you've a limb hanging off by a vein, or need help with stripping gearboxes men mates tend to be meh about such things :D).

One time(in band camp) I was in an age gap relationship and she was 14 years younger, a woman mate of mine was also in an age gap relationship and he was 8 years younger. She got significantly more attention and stick about it than me and again nearly all from women, including some of her mates. Our respective partners families were different too in that hers had more oars in the water as far as opinions go. When the relationships went south and ended this difference was just as noticeable. I got support and sympathy, she got support, but there was more a sense of relief as "it couldn't have worked out you know".

So yeah in my experience anyway age gaps, particularly ones around the ten year or more mark, are much more readily accepted where the man is the elder than if the woman is and no amount of cougar and MILF memes seem to have made a difference. They seem to have made it more accepted in casual hookups though. That said I have known many more couples where she was the older one than I knew of 20 years ago, so that's progress of a sort. They also seem more resilient over time than older guy, younger woman setups, or at least in my small corner of the world. I can think of a few Boards couples where she's the older one and happy out they are and fair play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement