Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA quits UN Human rights council

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Creative83 wrote: »
    It is a cesspit... here are seven of the members...

Philippines 2018 Qatar 2020 Rwanda 2019 Saudi Arabia 2019 Afghanistan Pakistan Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) ...

It is an absolute joke!

If Trump came out and said exactly what you just posted, I'd have a bit of respect for him on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Hopefully this is the beginning of the End for the UN. Countries cannot protect their borders or deport people anymore due to its outdated rules. The human rights council is a lolz fest. A major embarrassment to this failing organization. Pull the plug

Because the world did so brilliantly when just left to their own devices without an international body like the UN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Well they way they are carrying on right now, they should leave!

Are you talking about the 'human right' to enter their country being denied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    So much for setting an example for the rest of the world

Damned if they try to be world police. Damned if they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Because the world did so brilliantly when just left to their own devices without an international body like the UN?

Like EU, the UNs original function was great but then they tried to meddle with domestic policies. It's supposed to deter war between countries. Then they got all powerful and decided who we can and can't deport.

We have the Saudi royal family and Mr Erdogan deciding to ideologically invade Europe, and we can't do a thing about it under the UN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

When Trump got elected, I posted on here the next day saying the best thing that would happen because of him would be all of America's shltty practices being brought to the forefront.

I couldn't have been more right. The no drama media during Obama's term has been replaced with coverage of what's really happening and I'm thoroughly enjoying the accelerated downfall of that country.

Weird post. Your enjoying the down fall of a country?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Now if the US would just cease all voluntary contributions to the UN and let it die.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

As the old saying goes, "if voting changed anything they'd make it illegal"

When voting can change anything (The UNSC) they have a veto. Funny, though tragic.

So in other words it doesn't change anything. Not funny, but yes tragic

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

There are many avenues Western countries could go down to put far more pressure on these countries with poor human rights records. Not selling Saudi the weapons they use to commit war crimes in Yemen might be one example.

Not buying their oil would be a better one, but neither is ever going to happen. I don't remember if it was Lenin or Marx (it really doesn't matter) who said the last capitalist left alive will gladly sell you the rope with which to hang him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I think you should review the list of members of the UN Human Rights Council and rethink your post..  
    Its membership is choc full of countrys that are up to their eye-balls in human rights abuses.

The US gave 12 months notice on this decision, and had been seeking reforms, but with none coming the US choose to depart. 

You seem to be happier the US has pulled out of this council. 
    Im sure you can relax now as Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, UAE and the Philipinnes (all members) can get down to talks on human rights without the destraction of the 'racist ' US prescence.

How do I seem to be happier for the US withdrawing from the council?

I've no need to rethink my post as it was completely valid regardless of what other states are in there.

The US threw its toys out of the pram because Israeli crimes, which the US bankrolls, were being exposed.

Funny how the countries you listed above are mainly US allies.

Showing once again the American disregard for human rights unless it's an excuse to have a pop at a country that isn't servile to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I think you should review the list of members of the UN Human Rights Council and rethink your post..  
    Its membership is choc full of countrys that are up to their eye-balls in human rights abuses.

The US gave 12 months notice on this decision, and had been seeking reforms, but with none coming the US choose to depart. 

You seem to be happier the US has pulled out of this council. 
    Im sure you can relax now as Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, UAE and the Philipinnes (all members) can get down to talks on human rights without the destraction of the 'racist ' US prescence.

All US allies. Gas that.

Odhinn wrote: »
    All US allies. Gas that.

Well, most of them would certainly like to gas somebody! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Bob Aiken for President.

Advertisement