Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This offer is a lot less appealing now with Vodafone and Meteor's new offers for a fiver more. Also no messing around with different numbers for roaming which I think is ridiculously annoying.

Well this offer is still very appealing if you do the trick so it ends up costing just €7.50 per month! That is incredible value for money.

How it works:

Month 1: Topup €15, get 10GB data + Unlimited calls + keep your credit
    Month 2: Use the €15 credit from the previous month to buy this deal, 30GB data + unlimited calls + texts
    repeat.

You basically pay just €15 every two months, so it averages out at €7.50 per month or more then 1/3rd of those Vodafone and Meteor deals!

Now obviously it isn't 4G, so if you watch a lot of youtube, Netflix, etc. on data, then those plans would be better. But lots of 3G data and unlimited calls is outstanding value for just €7.50 per month and probably suits the majority of users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

bk wrote: »
    Well this offer is still very appealing if you do the trick so it ends up costing just €7.50 per month! That is incredible value for money.

How it works:

Where do you see this? I can't see anything on their website about keeping your credit.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

webpal wrote: »
    Where do you see this? I can't see anything on their website about keeping your credit.

Screen_Shot_2017-04-19_at_10.47.54.png

https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/top-up-offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Except I never got any decent speeds ondata (even compared with Tesco who had much better speeds), texts weren't sending to certain numbers and phone wouldn't ring sometimes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheDriver wrote: »
    Except I never got any decent speeds ondata (even compared with Tesco who had much better speeds), texts weren't sending to certain numbers and phone wouldn't ring sometimes.

Speeds are fine, about 5 to 7mb/s for me, same as when I was previously on Tesco. It is perfectly fine if you just want to use whatsapp, email, facebook, etc.

If you do a lot of video, then yes, you would be better on a 4G service.

I've never had a call or text fail on me.

I'm not saying it is perfect, but I do think it is insanely good value for money. Just €7.50 for unlimited calls and a bunch of data is just insanely good value for money IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

How it works:

Month 2: Use the €15 credit from the previous month to buy this deal, 30GB data + unlimited calls + texts
    repeat.

You basically pay just €15 every two months, so it averages out at €7.50 per month or more then 1/3rd of those Vodafone and Meteor deals!

Now obviously it isn't 4G, so if you watch a lot of youtube, Netflix, etc. on data, then those plans would be better. But lots of 3G data and unlimited calls is outstanding value for just €7.50 per month and probably suits the majority of users.

This bundle has an asterix on it which basically states you can't use this data for roaming.

*The no roaming charges promotion does not apply to data for the above bundles. Customers will need to buy a special data bundle add-on for all roaming bundle

Is there special roaming data bundles or just one of the normal data bundles? I rang them but hung up after 15 mins on hold.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

None have their plans including data roaming, you need to by a specific data add on for roaming. Whether this changes after mid June is anyone's guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Dunno about that 2 month trick.I need texts mostly,dunno about other people.

Have on of the kids on lyca,can't get through on voice call ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ordered Europe SIM on the 12th April. No sign as of today. Need it for portugal next week. Rang twice. 20plus minutes waiting to speak to person on both calls. Does not inspire confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Data rates are ****e for Portugal though (€55 gets you 1GB). I'm planning on buying a Vodafone SIM in Faro airport - €15 for 15 day's unlimited data: http://www.vodafone.pt/main/visitingportugal/index

Slap it in a spare phone which I'll hotspot and keep in a bag I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

So if I buy a data add-on I can use it in the UK. Like I don't need to do anything else before I arrive? Suppose all I have to do once I'm there is make sure I'm on Lyca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

dodzy wrote: »
    Ordered Europe SIM on the 12th April. No sign as of today. Need it for portugal next week. Rang twice. 20plus minutes waiting to speak to person on both calls. Does not inspire confidence.

go to meteor shop, get brand new sim, get them to activate EUROPE package and topup enough (~20eur) to activate it. Every year i get this new sim only to travel across europe and use data. 1GB per month is the limit but it works for me for my work and to use google maps to navigate.

Dunno about that 2 month trick.I need texts mostly,dunno about other people.

Have on of the kids on lyca,can't get through on voice call ever.

What network are you on? I've no issues calling any lyca numbers!

Who uses texts anymore? Just use whatsapp, imessage, etc.

One or two months I checked how many texts I sent that month, turns out I averaged about 5 to 6 SMS texts per month! Basically just to my dad who doesn't have a smart phone. Everyone else is on whatsapp and that is included in data.

When I top-up by €15, I get €1.50 bonus credit, that easily covers the few texts I send per month.

You should check, you might not be sending as many texts as you think or it might just be a case that you need to switch to whatsapp.
    dodzy wrote: »

The Europe Sim isn't really suited to roaming. It is suited to people from other countries in Europe, who live in Ireland and who want to call their home country.

Roaming in Portugal with Lyca is very expensive, like €55 for 1GB. Better off with a Meteor SIM or Three UK sim.
    tp25 wrote: »
    go to meteor shop, get brand new sim, get them to activate EUROPE package and topup enough (~20eur) to activate it. Every year i get this new sim only to travel across europe and use data. 1GB per month is the limit but it works for me for my work and to use google maps to navigate.

I'd say that the Three UK data SIM is much better value for this sort of use.

About €25 gets you 12GB that lasts for 12 months and works in 48 countries including all of Europe + US + Australia, etc.

Who uses text?

All the kids soccer and Gaa is still organized by text for a start.

Who uses text?

All the kids soccer and Gaa is still organized by text for a start.

Some

Oh god, haha, they need to check out whatsapp groups!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Data rates are ****e for Portugal though (?55 gets you 1GB). I'm planning on buying a Vodafone SIM in Faro airport - ?15 for 15 day's unlimited data: http://www.vodafone.pt/main/visitingportugal/index

Slap it in a spare phone which I'll hotspot and keep in a bag I suppose.

Thanks, don't know how I missed that while looking at my options. I guess it'll be a VF sim from the airport in Portugal so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Oh god, haha, they need to check out whatsapp groups!

Not everyone has whatsapp plus you don't want to engage in group discussion either, just send a one way message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Seen this last week on their site but couldn't find a deal expiry date. Wouldn't be bothered moving if its going to be 25 or 30 in 2 months time.

Still better than Sky, I'm paying €60 month

TheDriver wrote: »
    Not everyone has whatsapp plus you don't want to engage in group discussion either, just send a one way message

Well if you are only receiving a text message, then it wouldn't cost you anyway.

The point is, of course it might not be suitable for all people. Nothing ever is. But I would certainly challenge people to check how many SMS they actually send every month, they might be surprised how few they actually send these days. I certainly was shocked when I checked.

• Advertisement

Well if you are only receiving a text message, then it wouldn't cost you anyway.

The point is, of course it might not be suitable for all people. Nothing ever is. But I would certainly challenge people to check how many SMS they actually send every month, they might be surprised how few they actually send these days. I certainly was shocked when I checked.

The messages are sent out for gaa/soccer anyway and they want a yes/no reply and sometimes a location for pickup enroute if there's a bus.

You could be replying to quite a lot of texts if you have kids and their activities

The messages are sent out for gaa/soccer anyway and they want a yes/no reply and sometimes a location for pickup enroute if there's a bus.

You could be replying to quite a lot of texts if you have kids and their activities

Haha, god that really is terrible!

But still, even at that, it still doesn't sound like more then a few text messages a month. Seriously, go count how many SMS you actually send, you might be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Something strange going on. I switched my phone off for two hours this evening. When I restarted it, it went into roaming mode. When I try to make calls it asks me if I want to add +353 in front and now I am also getting a message about a new SIM being detected . When I select setup it gives me a list of operators, but none Irish (screenshot below). Anyone else having issues?415953.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Zynks wrote: »
    Something strange going on. I switched my phone off for two hours this evening. When I restarted it, it went into roaming mode. When I try to make calls it asks me if I want to add +353 in front and now I am also getting a message about a new SIM being detected . When I select setup it gives me a list of operators, but none Irish (screenshot below). Anyone else having issues?415953.png

Never heard of the network with carrier name "my dads phone" :-)

That was a Dutch MVNO that stopped operating in 2010.

I still have the roaming problem. I can make and receive calls, but no data.

Something strange going on. I switched my phone off for two hours this evening. When I restarted it, it went into roaming mode. When I try to make calls it asks me if I want to add +353 in front and now I am also getting a message about a new SIM being detected . When I select setup it gives me a list of operators, but none Irish (screenshot below). Anyone else having issues?

I assume you are in the Netherlands? No issues, just select one of the networks and it should work.

The add +353 thing is I thing a new Android thing. Obviously when abroad you need to dial +353 first to call and send texts to Irish numbers from abroad. When entering numbers, I always enter +353 anyway.
    I still have the roaming problem. I can make and receive calls, but no data.

Did you buy a data roaming add on, Lyca doesn't have free data roaming, just free calls and texts roaming on some packages?

Also you need to turn on data roaming in your settings and maybe the EU Roaming option that some phones now have.

I never left Dublin, but I agree, the phone seemed to think I was in the Netherlands - and so did Hector (Lycamobile support on Twitter).

Anyway, chatted with Hector this morning, it took a while to check a few things but the phone is back working normally. I was unlucky that the problem started on a Friday night because otherwise I am sure it would have been fixed sooner. All good.

I seem to be getting occasional 'phantom' PayPal receipts for lycamobile topups or bundles.

They're genuine PayPal emails but there's no actual transaction or account debit and the description field on the receipt is blank.

Not sure what that's about,i have to login to PayPal for every transaction btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I seem to be getting occasional 'phantom' PayPal receipts for lycamobile topups or bundles.

They're genuine PayPal emails but there's no actual transaction or account debit and the description field on the receipt is blank.

Not sure what that's about,i have to login to PayPal for every transaction btw.

Are they once a month on the same day? What does the email say? Did you ever start setting up auto topup with PayPal?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Are they once a month on the same day? What does the email say? Did you ever start setting up auto topup with PayPal?
    Thats it alright.It seems to be an auto topup only it can't take the payment.

Presumably I'll have to login to lyca and remove the auto topup then.Its one of the kids accounts.

Is it possible to prevent PayPal auto logins across all browsers and platforms ?

Thats it alright.It seems to be an auto topup only it can't take the payment.

Presumably I'll have to login to lyca and remove the auto topup then.Its one of the kids accounts.

Is it possible to prevent PayPal auto logins across all browsers and platforms ?

Only way to stop with will be to log into their lyca account and cancel the auto renewal payment that is using PayPal.

I just checked the Lyca account and auto topup isn't enabled ?

Why would paypal be generating these 'phantom' email receipts then?

They are definitely paypal as they're identical to the receipts where i've actually paid except there's nothing in the description field and nothing in the paypal account recent activity ?

I just checked the Lyca account and auto topup isn't enabled ?

Why would paypal be generating these 'phantom' email receipts then?

They are definitely paypal as they're identical to the receipts where i've actually paid except there's nothing in the description field and nothing in the paypal account recent activity ?
    You'll need to contact lyca so to ask them to stop requesting payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

Hi folks

I've read through much of the thread at this stage and it seems that people have cooled towards the deal lately on account of changes Lyca have made. I'd still be willing to give them a go however so it'd be great if I could get some thoughts on the following

To copy/past from another thread of mine...

I'm looking for a call oriented plan. The destination breakdown would be something like 50% Irish mobile, 25% Irish landline and the remainder split across UK and Holland

1. Am I correct in saying the Irish mobile / landline calls are included and that I can use the credit to call the UK and Holland... or is the credit consumed when buying the plan?

2. On porting, if I port over and say it doesn't work out with them, can I port out a month later or is there a minimum time required between ports?

3. Finally, topping up. Do they allow auto topups from say a debit card? I recall reading somewhere that they don't

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

sat matt wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying the Irish mobile / landline calls are included and that I can use the credit to call the UK and Holland... or is the credit consumed when buying the plan?
    You use the credit to purchase the plan, so it's consumed
    Do they allow auto topups from say a debit card?
    I've always used my debit card for it without any problems. I uncheck the auto top-up box, though the option is there for me to use it. I don't because I use the €15 across two months rather than one.

I don't know anything about the porting. I would assume there wouldn't be a limit though? Could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Hi folks

I've read through much of the thread at this stage and it seems that people have cooled towards the deal lately on account of changes Lyca have made. I'd still be willing to give them a go however so it'd be great if I could get some thoughts on the following

To copy/past from another thread of mine...

I'm looking for a call oriented plan. The destination breakdown would be something like 50% Irish mobile, 25% Irish landline and the remainder split across UK and Holland

1. Am I correct in saying the Irish mobile / landline calls are included and that I can use the credit to call the UK and Holland... or is the credit consumed when buying the plan?

2. On porting, if I port over and say it doesn't work out with them, can I port out a month later or is there a minimum time required between ports?

3. Finally, topping up. Do they allow auto topups from say a debit card? I recall reading somewhere that they don't

Thx

1. Yes mobile/landlines are included.If you buy a bundle your credit is consumed but if you were to top up instead you get to keep your credit so a €15 top up gives you free Irish calls,free texts to lyca numbers only,10gb data and 10% extra credit.

€20 gets you the same with 5gb more data and 20% extra credit

2. No minimum time between porting that im aware of

3. I use a debit card for auto top ups, so fine there

NATLOR wrote: »
    1. Yes mobile/landlines are included.If you buy a bundle your credit is consumed but if you were to top up instead you get to keep your credit so a €15 top up gives you free Irish calls,free texts to lyca numbers only,10gb data and 10% extra credit.

so just top up by 15€ without bothering to purchase a bundle to get this.

Advantage of using the 15€ to buy the Ireland plus bundle is roaming only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

glasso wrote: »
    so just top up by 15€ without bothering to purchase a bundle to get this.

Advantage of using the 15€ to buy the Ireland plus bundle is roaming only?

Also texts to other networks aren't included in the top up offer

And yes just top up by the required amount

I've always used my debit card for it without any problems. I uncheck the auto top-up box, though the option is there for me to use it. I don't because I use the €15 across two months rather than one.

]

can you explain how you use €15 across 2 months pls?

so month 1 you top up by 15€ then you get calls and data access for 1 month using that I assume.

Month 2 you use the credit somehow to get a month - can you explain pls.

cheers.

can you explain how you use €15 across 2 months pls?

so month 1 you top up by 15€ then you get calls and data access for 1 month using that I assume.

Month 2 you use the credit somehow to get a month - can you explain pls.

cheers.

Yes, this is exactly what I do. Works out at a pretty awesome €7.50 per month.

Only thing you should set a reminder for the day that free calls and texts run out, as Lycq don't notify you that they run out and if you do you might end up using the €15 credit before you get a chance to buy the deal for the next month.

In terms of calls to UK and Holland, you would be better off using whatsapp or similar VoIP service if you can to avoid expensive calls to those locations.

• Advertisement

Yes, this is exactly what I do. Works out at a pretty awesome €7.50 per month.

Only thing you should set a reminder for the day that free calls and texts run out, as Lycq don't notify you that they run out and if you do you might end up using the €15 credit before you get a chance to buy the deal for the next month.

In terms of calls to UK and Holland, you would be better off using whatsapp or similar VoIP service if you can to avoid expensive calls to those locations.

will your phone work abroad at all with this method? (e.g roaming)

will your phone work abroad at all with this method? (e.g roaming)

It will, but data isn't free when roaming, it will come out of your credit at an expensive rate. You should buy one of their data roaming add-ons when abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

bk wrote:
    It will, but data isn't free when roaming, it will come out of your credit at an expensive rate. You should buy one of their data roaming add-ons when abroad.

Even then they are useless... Over €10 for 100mb I think I paid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭pjq

Data add-ons for roaming are ok value http://lycamobile.ie/sysimages/mediamanager/Home_April_2015_IE2.pdf?_ga=2.40144554.988742870.1494320209-1186451528.1490720434 , but can be tricky to use http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057712087&page=121 .
    Calls to UK and NL are cheaper than Irish calls 1c landline and 9c mobile ( text SAVE to 2525) , or buy 300mins for €10/mth.
    To be most economical with Lyca , you need to actively intervene each month;
    Top up in month 1 and buy a bundle 30 days later, then start with a top-up again in mth #3. Text "SAVE" each month, ensure auto renewal is off and watch for changes in terms and conditions! Buy data-addons for travel etc.
    You can see it as a challenge or simply not worth the €7.50 monthly saving ( $90- annually). Definitely worthwhile for a family where 1 person can administer monthly (data protection permitting!).
    pjq

pjq wrote: »
    You can see it as a challenge or simply not worth the €7.50 monthly saving ( $90- annually). Definitely worthwhile for a family where 1 person can administer monthly (data protection permitting!).
    pjq

Yup, that is what I do, set a calendar to do it once a month and do it for a few people.

An individual €7.50 saving might not seem like much, but doing so for your whole family can quickly add up.

Be equally careful with insurance, BB, electric/gas, bank charges, etc. and soon you can find that you are saving enough for a nice holiday once a year!

It is more of a mind set.

BTW I use a Three UK SIM, 12GB for 12 months for about €25 for data roaming while abroad, excellent value when paired with Lyca at home. Though it will be interesting to see what happens when the new EU roaming rules come into effect.

Thanks for the replies

I'm have a little trouble understanding your €15 over 2 months setup. Are you buying a bundle for €7.50 in month 2? I see the National Ireland Plus bundle is €7.50 at the moment but only for new subscribers I think. Only curiosity at me here as I'm switching someone else over so I'm not too interested in maximum savings. Cheap and plentiful calls will do nicely.

I think I'll try the €15 topup deal (no bundle) and use the "SAVE" text to get the cheap UK/NL calls. Is there a charge for this "SAVE" SMS?

Edit... See BK's post below

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnnyblues

Free of charge.

Free of charge.

Thx. Bit of a strange hoop to have to jump through so!

I'm have a little trouble understanding your €15 over 2 months setup. Are you buying a bundle for €7.50 in month 2? I see the National Ireland Plus bundle is €7.50 at the moment but only for new subscribers I think. Only curiosity at me here as I'm switching someone else over so I'm not too interested in maximum savings. Cheap and plentiful calls will do nicely.

Month 1: Top-up by €15 - Get 10GB data, Unlimited calls, extra €1.50 credit, keep the €16.50 of credit
    Month 2: Use €15 of the €16.50 of credit from last month to buy the Ireland Plus Bundle, which gives you 30GB data, unlimited calls and texts.
    Month 3: Repeat.

You basically pay just €15 every second month, which works out roughly €7.50 per month.

Two last questions...

Say I was on the €15 topup deal and then bought the €10 Europe Plus bundle. Would my unlimited national calls and 10GB data allowance of the topup deal be superceded by the 300 minutes and 3GB data allowance of the bundle?

Are Lyca abiding by the EU roaming rules? Will the €15 topup deal work in the Netherlands for example?

• Advertisement
Advertisement