Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning the Poppy - A thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The cognitive dissonance displayed in this thread every year never ceases to entertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

In 2159 will people still be wearing the poppy?

The British will always be involved in wars so they will always have veterans to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

Saw Louis Walsh wearing a poppy on tv earlier.

After the old knighthood eh Louis?

Louis has been wearing the poppy for years,did he and Westlife not launch the poppy appeal years ago?I see a lot of irish people with them on the telly,O Driscoll,Paul o Connell,wearing them during the rugby,Eamonn Homes,Norton,im sure i missed plenty more,feel free to add anymore.the thing that gets me is that do they have a choice or is it more forced upon them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Jesus, calm down, dude. It’s only a thread on a silly website. You’ll give yourself a hernia or irritable bowel syndrome or something.

I hope history isn’t a hobby of yours. You are so ideologically blinkered and bigoted that any attempts at analysis or nuance would be a complete folly.

He'll eventually have a fit or convulsion after working himself up into an apocalyptic rage , then recover in about an hour or two.

Your right it's a thread on a website, same ol' stuff each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Everyone says it’s for WW 1 & 2 but also covers the Boar wars where the lovely army created concentration camps which is where Hitler got the idea, they forget that bit of history

I with James McClean on this one

The Boar wars bother you?

What about British troops shooting unarmed British citizens in the back on British soil?

• Advertisement

Here we go again with the ignorance. The French remembrance symbol:

Bleuet_de_France

Here we go. A little history lesson.

“Artificial poppies were first sold in Britain in 1921 to raise money for the Earl Haig Fund in support of ex-servicemen and the families of those who had died in the conflict. They were supplied by Anna Guérin, who had been manufacturing the flowers in France to raise money for war orphans. Selling poppies proved so popular that in 1922 the British Legion founded a factory - staffed by disabled ex-servicemen - to produce its own. It continues to do so today.“ http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/why-we-wear-poppies-on-remembrance-day

“ The remembrance poppy is an artificial flower that has been used since 1921 to commemorate military personnel who have died during war. It represents a common or field poppy, Papaver rhoeas. The creation of the remembrance poppy was inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields" written during World War 1, and promoted by Moina Michael and the “Originator of the Poppy Day”, Madame Guérin.[1] Prior to this, Madame Guérin had been raising funds for French and American war charities throughout World War I for widows, orphans, veterans, the Red Cross, charity organization Food for France, U.S. Liberty bonds and other causes.

After the Armistice that ended World War I, the French government formed the charity "La Ligue des Enfants de France et d’Amérique", with the poppy as its emblem. Madame Guérin created the American branch, called the "American and French Children’s League". Many organisations adopted the poppy as their memorial flower, after World War I ended. In 1919, Madame Guérin began holding Poppy Days, under the auspices of her charity.

Today, they are mostly used in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, the United States[citation needed] and New Zealand, to commemorate servicemen and women killed in all conflicts. Small remembrance poppies are often worn on clothing leading up to Remembrance Day/Armistice Day,[2] and poppy wreaths are often laid at war memorials. In Australia and New Zealand, they are also worn on Anzac Day.

The Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal has caused some controversy, with some—including British Army veterans—arguing that the symbol is used excessively, is used to marshal support behind British military campaigns and that public figures are pressured to wear poppies.[3]”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

lawred2 wrote: »
    The Boar wars bother you?

What about British troops shooting unarmed British citizens in the back on British soil?

I reference the boar war just because everyone loves to point to WW2 and concentration camps

Never realising it was the British who came up with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Not really into the wearing of symbols, particularly political symbols. So I don't agree with the wearing of the poppy or easter lily etc

Nobody should be pressured into going along with this sort of stuff, leave the symbols to the symbol minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I reference the boar war just because everyone loves to point to WW2 and concentration camps

You should probably read up a little more on them , Spanish forces used them in Cuba prior to the Boer wars , before that Native Americans were regularly moved from their lands to reservations , no one likes the talk of that however.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,099 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I get the remembrance thing and even learning a new generation that we should never let history repeat itself.

But there comes a time when it's healthier for people just to move on. There's no disrespect intended but even the survivors of war kept as much as possible away from their family so that they could grow up without knowing and not be tainted by the true horrors of war and man's inhumanity to man.

If the UK Brexits they won't be able to sustain the spend on their military. More so if the UK actually breaks up.
    As the resurgence of the Poppy and any over the top celebrating of military achievements anywhere is essentially promoted to justify the huge spend (always follow the money) then you will see the wearing of it, fall away.
    This debate didn't happen when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's and only some wore on TV, and nbody bothered in football. It ramped up significantly after Maggie's debacle in the South Seas, it will probably reach kitsch peak as the UK bravely exits the EU and self destructs.

P.S. My ambition in life is to get on one of these threads before Mattser arrives with his edgy/cutsey (never sure which it is) attempt at censorship. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

https://allthatsinteresting.com/boer-war

A little history, the poppy is for the people who used concentration camps, look at the above pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Cazale wrote: »
    Without the sacrifice of thousands of young British soldiers we would be living in a 32 county Republic speaking our own language with a much larger population not decimated by the great hunger.

Without the sacrifice of 1916, many believe we’d be living in a 32 county Independent Ireland a long time ago. And been spared the horrors of the war of independence, civil war and the troubles. Stick that in your pipe and think about it.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Without the sacrifice of 1916, many believe we’d be living in a 32 county Independent Ireland a long time ago. And been spared the horrors of the war of independence, civil war and the troubles. Stick that in your pipe and think about it.

If only we had somewhere that the British stayed to test those theories. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Home Rulers wasted 40 years buying into that bull**** with SFA to show for it. Turned out the correct answer was shooting lots of Brits :)

How's independence working out for the Scots and Welsh BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They tend to be historically illiterate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Odhinn

To me the poppy represents those who died for our freedom, no matter what army or what war. That freedom allowed this uainseach do what she did. I hope that she’s proud of what she’ll be remembered for.

But it doesn't, it represents british soldiers full stop. If you think running a concentration camp in kenya is grand, or torturing greek cypriots and gunning down unarmed protestors is grand, then its the poppy for you, but spare us the "freedom" crap.

There will always be the clueless amongst us.

Joey Adams wrote: »
    Ok, boomer.

?

Odhinn wrote: »
    ?

It's what a millennial says when they cannot debate anymore apparently. The modern equivalent of 'whatever'.

Try and be hip, will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wear it or don't wear it. Fine.
    Just don't be a dickhead to people who choose to wear it or not as the case may be.

Video is attention seeking, not "shocking" as the DM has it. The burning of a small plastic flower is hardly beheading footage.

• Advertisement

But it doesn't, it represents british soldiers full stop. If you think running a concentration camp in kenya is grand, or torturing greek cypriots and gunning down unarmed protestors is grand, then its the poppy for you, but spare us the "freedom" crap.

Maybe if you knew, or at least researched the origins of the red poppy you’d not post such rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Maybe if you knew, or at least researched the origins of the red poppy you’d not post such rubbish.

The Royal British legion would disagree with you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I get the remembrance thing and even learning a new generation that we should never let history repeat itself.

But there comes a time when it's healthier for people just to move on. There's no disrespect intended but even the survivors of war kept as much as possible away from their family so that they could grow up without knowing and not be tainted by the true horrors of war and man's inhumanity to man.
    By 2159 the Poppy will probably be worn all year round and any that disagree will be labelled aberrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The poppy thing is really going over the top and not stopping

Watching the premiership today and each club are trying to make a bigger deal out of it.....

Go back 10 years and did they even do anything for it? Now it has to be a huge event

Load of bulls**t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The poppy thing is really going over the top and not stopping

Watching the premiership today and each club are trying to make a bigger deal out of it.....

Go back 10 years and did they even do anything for it? Now it has to be a huge event

Load of bulls**t

10 years ago it was literally just the weekend of Remembrance Sunday you'd see a poppy, now its literally 4 weeks before and everyone on TV is wearing now...Found it somewhat odd to see the Germany Womens team wearing a poppy last night against England

Also I know of a Company that allow their Staff to wear Poppy's, but Easter Lily was a big no...This was an English company operating in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Officially perhaps.

But to the people wearing it in the uk ..i doubt they are doing it to support the troops who ran concentration camps in kenya.

They wear them for their grandads ...for the decent men in ww 2.

I wish people would be sensible. To suggest the vast majority of people wear the poppy to support british emperialism is being sucked into the unionist dup mindset and who wants to be sucked in there.

That is not what it means to the vast majority of british people who are normal decent people.

The no of people OFFENDED by a poppy especially one who was driven to travel to the VERY country she is offended by to burn on is silly. They are missing the point.

There are other ways to call into question the actions of british soliders without insulting a very well loved symbol. And there are many many righteous reasons to criticize and question british soldiers. In fact doing so over this debate negates those arguments and makes them seem petty and not legit.

The whole ANTI POPPY thing undermines the legit grievances people have with the uk or its soldiers/govt.

I mean the UNION JACK represented the UK all during the empire is that offensive too? Or are the people waving it now slightly nicer people?

I mean honestly. You think of the colonization of our country the loss of our culture our language our impoverishment all of which was caused by british emperialism. The break up of our country the routed sectarianism that destroyed so many ..again all caused by british emperialism ...brexit ...them ****ting on us again! The famine. ( im serious blight my arse it was one crop! They caused that famine there was lots of food! )
    And all them tories asking for our passports the cheek!

All of that ..is any of that going to change by someone NOT wearing a poppy..?

https://www.thebattleground.eu/articles/2019/11/06/irelands-brit-hangover/?fbclid=IwAR3g-ZixNlum_3WxYdM5dyz8mOhahK4doZcdHa-KvHaWzVyl9TUmEpBrKt4

This actually made me really REALLY mad.
    “I’ve applied for Irish citizenship.” Pre-Brexit, this would have been amazing to hear in a cut-glass accent by a late-middle-aged upper-class British woman. But Brexit was looming and she didn’t want any hassle commuting to her country home, in France.

“Really? So you must have an Irish grandparent?”

“No, my father was born in Dublin. In 1920. He’s wasn’t Irish. He did not go to school there. Nothing like that.”

Not Irish in any ethnic sense, Cut Glass was anxious to make that quite clear.

“But Ireland wasn’t an independent country then. It was still under British rule. Why was your family there?”

“My grandfather was, um, part of the government.”

In a situation replete with ironies and contradictions, this was particularly rich to take part in.

The grandchild of a British official, stationed in Ireland during the final, brutal years of a centuries-long struggle for independence, was relying on the fact that her father was born in Dublin. Her grandfather was there fighting to uphold British rule and prevent the creation of the country she was now seeking to join.

But join only in the most superficial sense. She wasn’t going to live there. Nothing like that.

I think this is taking the piss.

I mean i am not even a republican ...but this is just taking the piss.

I mean honestly. You think of the colonization of our country the loss of our culture our language our impoverishment all of which was caused by british emperialism. The break up of our country the routed sectarianism that destroyed so many ..again all caused by british emperialism ...brexit ...them ****ting on us again! The famine. ( im serious blight my arse it was one crop! They caused that famine there was lots of food! )
    And all them tories asking for our passports the cheek!

All of that ..is any of that going to change by someone NOT wearing a poppy..?

I know you are trying to make a point...could you try again?

• Advertisement

I know you are trying to make a point...could you try again?

I am actually going to ..so you be will sorry. :D

This country at some point had almost everything taken away by colonialism. We weren't enslaved but we WERE colonized. We lost our language. Our culture. We were impoverished by that same colonialism to the point of disaster. Then the leave over of the same colonialism left us the troubles. The sectarianism was that was caused by colonialism. ( and it WAS caused by colonialism exists today). And finally when we have peace. The same Tory cranks are now breaking it all up again!

There is a WHOLE lot of legitimate grievances we have with the uk right now RIGHT NOW!.

None of them have anything to do with a poppy and they are really not served by arguing about a poppy. Whether or not people wear a poppy isn't going to make a difference.

In fact its just going to undermine any legitimate grievances recent or historical that Ireland has with the UK.

Not wearing the poppy won't change bloody Sunday. But the argument about it undermines our ability to stand up for our rights and demand our injustices be taken as seriously as they should be.

We are just expected to hand out passports to people who disrespect them.

Tories are treading on us right now. They are being dicks.

We should stand up for ourselves more. Right now. Our politicians should stand up for us more right now. Maybe we don't have the confidence.

As for the million of lovely lovely british people wearing a poppy ..bless them. They are doing it for the right reasons.
    I think we have bigger things to beat the british govt with than a poppy. And its the WRONG fight to pick. Its not noble. Its not honorable to attack the symbol worn by kind people with good intent.

Maybe we do it because we don't have the GUTS to fight the right fight, right now.

Rant over.

Advertisement