Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-11-2019, 03:56   #46
Better Than Christ
Bigger Than Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSurfer View Post
For sure. When did the mass wearing of poppies on British TV begin? I don’t remember it from my childhood.
As far back as 2006, Jon Snow (the Channel 4 newsreader, not the The Game of Thrones character) was complaining about the fascistic response to his choice not to wear a poppy (a choice consistent with his refusal to wear an AIDS ribbon, a breast cancer ribbon, a Marie Curie flower, a Red Cross, any other symbol) while reading the news.

It's a mad country, England... getting madder by the day.
Advertisement
10-11-2019, 05:26   #47
Raconteuse

Attention seeking eejit though. And I don't agree with the "I defend her right to do it" stuff. Well I suppose she can, but others have the right to criticise her.

Apparently her parents got harassed over it though - nut-jobs who'd do that over someone being disrespectful haven't a brain cell.
10-11-2019, 07:47   #48
BeerWolf

When you have privileged retards that take their liberty for granted, without strive nor hardships, this is what you get.
(2) thanks from:
10-11-2019, 07:55   #49
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
I swear, the loonbags out there. And plenty here too.

Are you ok? You could have quoted it just once. And what is so unbelievable about it? Oh yeah, nothing.
Edgy most have forgot to log out and log back in with his other sock
(2) thanks from:
10-11-2019, 08:13   #50
Irish Guitarist

Boy Georges lyrics have gone downhill.

I was going to reply to him with a bad poem of my own but I decided against it. So it doesn't go to waste I'll post my shitty poem here.

Boy George beat a man with a chain
He beat in his brain
He had little remorse
When it came to humans of course
But whined about a poppy made of plastic
Because he was a prick
Attached Images
File Type: png bg.png (34.4 KB, 463 views)
Advertisement
10-11-2019, 08:17   #51
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien360 View Post
Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.
That's not true. Everyone on TV wears them but normal people don't
tend to wear them. I've lived a d worked in the UK during poppy season and most people don't wear them. Some people wear 20 poppies of different kinds and almost none of the people I lived and worked with wore a poppy. It just doesn't arise in normal life - outside of TV or Twitter.
(5) thanks from:
10-11-2019, 08:24   #52
Alf Veedersane

Good article here on it here re the abuse James McClean and how it's becoming something it wasn't supposed to be
(2) thanks from:
10-11-2019, 08:31   #53
Shefwedfan

Everyone says it’s for WW 1 & 2 but also covers the Boar wars where the lovely army created concentration camps which is where Hitler got the idea, they forget that bit of history

I with James McClean on this one
(3) thanks from:
10-11-2019, 08:45   #54
Fr Tod Umptious

I was watching Strictly Come Dancing last night (stick with me on this)

In one segment of the show a contestant and his professional dancer were out on a race track driving a high performance car (all part of the stuff they put in the show as part of the background to what the pair did in preparation etc)
At the track a race car driver presented the contestant with a trophy for some race the contestant had won.
The race car driver in full racing gear was wearing a poppy.
For the 5 seconds he was as on it was made abundantly clear that he was wearing a poppy, you could not miss it, it looked so out of place on his motor racing outfit.

So someone in the BBC had to make sure that this person for this fleeting moment on TV had to be wearing a poppy, even though it looked daft, or else there would be a backlash from somewhere.

It's gone nuts.

However, it was refreshing to see Niall Horan not wearing one on Friday night on Norton's show.
I don't know or care about Horans politics but I'm guessing he was requested to wear one and declined.

Last edited by Fr Tod Umptious; 10-11-2019 at 09:01.
(6) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-11-2019, 08:47   #55
Alf Veedersane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post

In one segment of the show a contestant and his professional dancer were out on a race track driving a high performance car (all part of the stuff they put in the show as part of the background to what the pair did in preparation etc)
At the track a race car driver presented the contestant with a trophy for some race the contestant had won.
The race car driver in full racing gear was wearing a poopy.
For the 5 seconds he was as on it was made abundantly clear that he was wearing a poopy, you could not miss it, it looked so out of place on his motor racing outfit.

So someone in the BBC had to make sure that this person for this fleeting moment on TV had to be wearing a poopy, even though it looked daft, or else there would be a backlash from somewhere.

It's gone nuts.

However, it was refreshing to see Niall Horan not wearing one on Friday night on Norton's show.
I don't know or care about Horans politics but I'm guessing he was requested to wear one and declined.
What have nappies got to do with anything?
10-11-2019, 08:50   #56
Gynoid

What is outrageous is this - in order to see a 16 second video at that link of a girleen being a little bit silly, (lads thats pretty tame for being mad), I had to sit first through a 30 second advertisement, which had stunningly beautiful imagery, inviting me to consider being a tourist in Saudi Arabia. The same Saudi Arabia, funder of Wahhabist extremism in Europe, that is shunting missiles bought from US and European armaments suppliers, companies with respectable Tax numbers and govt subsidies, over their border to the jihadists in Yemen so they can rain down slaughter on famine stricken civilians. I swear to God, people, irony is completely lost in this mad world.
10-11-2019, 08:52   #57
Gynoid

Haha poopy
Thanks from:
10-11-2019, 08:53   #58
Achasanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
In our case i have noticed its more a case of freedom to be a dick.

Makes no sense. It doesn't matter whether it's an English person or an Irish person who burns a poppy. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to just the citizens of a country (or at least it shouldn't).
10-11-2019, 08:55   #59
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
Yeah the BBC makes sure nobody forgets to wear one. It makes sense given the climate where some people will go bananas if they're not wearing one. As long as nobody has to wear one, I'm fine with it.

I know you say Kelvin was on screen for 5 seconds in that scene but it probably took half a day to film so it make sense to just have the poppy on at all times. So any 5second snippet that is aired, everyone will have a poppy on. But it's not as if they put on a poppy, film for 5 seconds and take it off again.

Poppy is just part of every costume
10-11-2019, 08:59   #60
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino 09 View Post
Yeah the BBC makes sure nobody forgets to wear one. It makes sense given the climate where some people will go bananas if they're not wearing one. As long as nobody has to wear one, I'm fine with it.

I know you say Kelvin was on screen for 5 seconds in that scene but it probably took half a day to film so it make sense to just have the poppy on at all times. So any 5second snippet that is aired, everyone will have a poppy on. But it's not as if they put on a poppy, film for 5 seconds and take it off again.

Poppy is just part of every costume
But it wasn't Kelvin I was referring, it was the guy who drove up, with the racing helmet on, in full racing gear, to give him the trophy that was wearing it.

I'd expect Kelvin, the contestant, to have one visible all the, he is lots of air time.
But the other guy was just on for 5 seconds.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion