Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Oh would you just walk your f*cking legs please'

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Heading shopping to get some last bits tomorrow and I’m already livid from reading these comments. If anyone gets in my way god love them. Fed up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Heading shopping to get some last bits tomorrow and I’m already livid from reading these comments. If anyone gets in my way god love them. Fed up now

I hope I get in your way :cool:

Went into Grafton Street area earlier to enjoy the atmosphere, do a spot of shopping, meander about with a friend... It was jammers, but I was in stitches watching the pushing shoving meltdown approacheth OP types who couldn't deal with the fact that the world and rest of its inhabitants weren't behaving as they expected them to...

Then I stopped randomly in the middle of the street to send some texts and block doorways etc :p
    And was happy that 99% of the population do know how to enjoy and plan their lives on top of regulating their behaviour and moods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

You will be walking that slow one day while a youngin will be posting on a forum how annoying you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Charming. Happy Christmas.

You won’t know why people are walking slowly. Some will be dilly dallying, but some have good reason to be walking slow. Including some younger folks.

But sure, you’re just being a keyboard warrior anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Myself and a few others will be beating up Christmas shoppers on Henry St tomorrow if anybody would like to join in.

We're specifically targeting those who are barely moving. If you're walking normally or even at a brisk pace, you need not be alarmed. Women and children are not excluded I'm afraid. We meet at 9am. All welcome. Drinks in Grand Central after.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers.

To the Boardsie who brought the putter: You CAN'T use it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

You won’t know why people are walking slowly. Some will be dilly dallying, but some have good reason to be walking slow. Including some younger folks.

No ODB, I'll disagree with you for once, with respect to this sentiment. There is little worse than being in a shop or somewhere and getting stuck behind a couple of people who are just sauntering along, taking up the whole aisle without any regard for other people around them. Old people and infirm people are exempt (and usually obvious), but anyone else who does this is an absolute bell end.

They don't have to hurry up. They just need to get out of the f#cking way.

It’s called a bit of banter jeeeeez..... yawn

I hope I get in your way :cool:
    Loooooooolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's the people, women mostly, that decide to stop in a shop doorway or narrow corridor for a good old natter with someone they've bumped into, that annoy me the most.

Stand over to the side you ignorant fcukwits and stop inconveniencing everyone else, you self-centered idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Lads try driving a taxi this time of year .
    The same ones that are walking slowly getting in the way are the same women that aren't ready when you call to pick them up .
    They are head wreckers .
    Never ready / can't make up their minds where they want to go.
    Why can't most women make a decision ???.
    It's the same in the shops ... 30 minutes to decide .
    A man would have his Xmas shopping done before they get one item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I must've had this thought about, hmm, 750 times in Town earlier. Slow c*nts.

I don't mean mentally slow - some might've been because it was Henry St - but slow physically. They walked like they had sh*t their pants - and some might've, because it was Henry St.

They walked like they were walking to their execution. They walked like how you walk in Musical Chairs when there's only two of you left. They walked like people who had no real idea where they were walking to.

They walked with very little regard for the walkers behind them, the people like me, who did know where they were going and wanted to get there before the 24th.

Inconsiderate clowns.

Was heading out for Xmas drinks on Friday. Headed up Grafton Street. A lot of people were the same there, but I was only going for drinks and I hadn't been up Grafton St for a while. But the ones that really really pi55ed me off are the absolute clowns that are walking along on one of the busiest streets in Ireland, jammed with people, who suddenly stop, for no fcuking reason!! Generally to take a selfie or some other nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I found this annoying when I did a 10 k race. I started in the back half of the crowd in consideration for the faster runners. Then I spent the first ten minutes weaving through walkers who decided to ignore instructions start at the front.

Getting annoyed at people walking down the street is a bit much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I must've had this thought about, hmm, 750 times in Town earlier. Slow c*nts.

I don't mean mentally slow - some might've been because it was Henry St - but slow physically. They walked like they had sh*t their pants - and some might've, because it was Henry St.

They walked like they were walking to their execution. They walked like how you walk in Musical Chairs when there's only two of you left. They walked like people who had no real idea where they were walking to.

They walked with very little regard for the walkers behind them, the people like me, who did know where they were going and wanted to get there before the 24th.

Inconsiderate clowns.
    Some people plan their Christmas shopping and are not in a mad rush at the last minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What are your eyes for?
    Do you walk so far up the backside of the person in front that you cannot change direction if you see them slow/stop?

Myself and a few others will be beating up Christmas shoppers on Henry St tomorrow if anybody would like to join in.

We're specifically targeting those who are barely moving. If you're walking normally or even at a brisk pace, you need not be alarmed. Women and children are not excluded I'm afraid. We meet at 9am. All welcome. Drinks in Grand Central after.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers.

Lunch at Sbarro in the Ilac lads. See you in a few. Best to enter at the Parnell St entrance for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

What is with ye slow walk sympathisers. One would think that ye are guilty of being one of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Walking through local shopping centre the other day and it was like dodgems. Lots of em just walking straight out of a store without looking where they are going, staring down at mobile phone. Mostly teens. Had to do numerous course corrections to avoid being hit till someone finally walked backwards out of easons mobile in hand and banged into me. Well really they bounced off me. The good news is they dropped their phone and reckon screen was a goner. Twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Dear O. P,
    Don't take anything for granted.
    I used to be quick - proper race fit and won my share and did a very decent Dublin marathon time.

Woke up one morning with serious spinal cord injuries. Now my cousin who smoked and drank all his life and is grossly overweight is quicker than I am. Good job I never pissed any slow people off :)

• Advertisement

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Dear O. P,
    Don't take anything for granted.
    I used to be quick - proper race fit and won my share and did a very decent Dublin marathon time.

Woke up one morning with serious spinal cord injuries.

Someone knee'd you in the back for walking too slow is my guess.

I'm joking of course, I genuinely hope you're on the mend. Happy Christmas sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Flaccus wrote: »
    Walking through local shopping centre the other day and it was like dodgems. Lots of em just walking straight out of a store without looking where they are going, staring down at mobile phone. Mostly teens. Had to do numerous course corrections to avoid being hit till someone finally walked backwards out of easons mobile in hand and banged into me. Well really they bounced off me. The good news is they dropped their phone and reckon screen was a goner. Twats.

This annoys me way more than your average slow walker. Teens are the worst offenders. I walked straight through a chap the other day who was too busy answering his phone to see the human walking a dog in front of him. He won't do it again, not to me anyway. Not as bad as when its some twat driving while staring at their phone but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Or the drifters. The slow walkers who drift from side to side in a group, expanding as they walk along.

Then the sudden stoppers, right in the middle of the street, so they can check their mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Rufeo wrote: »
    I will tell you what's worse, a group of people standing on the footpath and blocking the street.

Yes - that is well dangerous of course, and requires even more lack of common sense than blocking the way off escalators, (It's just that as a Londoner I'm particularly alert to that, especially with those at the deep-level tube stations there being very long and steep. And I seldom get to stop in Dublin).

London's West End is great for crowded pavements of course, but then Londoners have evolved to form ad-hoc pavement streams for different speeds. There's still no lack of obliviousness there though. My hols back there usually include a targeted stretch of Oxford Street to get shopping out of the way quickly. Drifters and sudden stoppers are a real plague there, so I try to leave a little stopping/swerving distance in front (and wish people snapping at my heels would do likewise!). It's the same on escalators - I like to leave one free step in front, for a bit of elbow room (for both people), but usually the next person usually doesn't, and the impatience they exude defies logic, as if dropping back by a foot-length has made them late. And open-heeled flats are out (unless you fancy being abruptly projected forward, plus maybe an enforced hop/barefoot limp round the shoe shops). Another lack of awareness that always amazes me there is the number of strollers with their phones sticking out of their back pockets, as if on offer.

I'm 100% with those pointing out that you never know why someone's walking slowly. I have a bee in my bonnet about people making negative assumptions about someone they know nothing about, and/or using their body shape or other characteristic as an insult.

That said, some slow walkers are fairly clearly just unaware of the frustration they can cause. Like groups of slowly strolling holidaymakers clearly determined that they will enjoy themselves, making themselves broader with accordingly expansive arm positioning, and walking abreast right across the pavement like a police barrier. (A male speciality by the way, to whom it may concern!). In these and other blocking cases I find that a gentle 'accidental' nudge (with an errant shoulder bag, perhaps), usually does the trick (with an added 'Sorry!' if they need extra waking up). The fact that it works so often (with even a return 'Sorry!'), is a sign of how unlikely it is that blocking a fast walker is deliberate.

Equally, you don't usually know why someone is in a rush. (That's why I not only don't object to being overtaken on the pavement/road, but try to facilitate it).

End of my halfpenny-worth (if you got this far!). Wishing everyone a happy (and free-walking!) Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Or the drifters. The slow walkers who drift from side to side in a group, expanding as they walk along.

Then the sudden stoppers, right in the middle of the street, so they can check their mobile phone.

Or the group of slow walkers who spread out to create maximum annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I'm sure I've got more wrinkles around my eyes from smiling at people who stop and start in front of me so that I nearly collide with them, especially when they have trolleys or little kids running around in shops, often pushing the trolley, or on a bike, or those roller shoes. I want to let rip at them but I just grin and bear it.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the trolleys!

I try to keep me and my wheeled things in single file in crowds (and lift the light ones), but not many do in airports/bus queues.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This annoys me way more than your average slow walker. Teens are the worst offenders. I walked straight through a chap the other day who was too busy answering his phone to see the human walking a dog in front of him. He won't do it again, not to me anyway. Not as bad as when its some twat driving while staring at their phone but still.

Yeah that's annoying and all, but if the other person sees why can't they just move or do they have to stay in their path just to have a right old moan?

Oh, and nearly everyone stooping in the aisle for ten minutes as soon as the plane stops, so the rest of us can't get our bags & coats down and get ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah that's annoying and all, but if the other person sees why can't they just move or do they have to stay in their path just to have a right old moan?
    Probably because life is so stressful that sometimes the most trivial thing can be the thing that breaks the camels back. Look at what happened in France last week during the transport strikes, a pedestrian walked out in front of a car, the driver got out and the 2 women argued, 1 ended up knifing the other. I watched a grown man with headphones on looking down at his mobile phone walk out in front of a car in a busy car park at a shopping centre yesterday, the driver was lucky not to hit him, the guy didn't care but it must have pissed off the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You don't know about slow, erratic, stopping, swerving, inconsiderate walkers until you try to do some shopping in The English Market, Cork when it's full of tourists!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Probably because life is so stressful that sometimes the most trivial thing can be the thing that breaks the camels back. Look at what happened in France last week during the transport strikes, a pedestrian walked out in front of a car, the driver got out and the 2 women argued, 1 ended up knifing the other. I watched a grown man with headphones on looking down at his mobile phone walk out in front of a car in a busy car park at a shopping centre yesterday, the driver was lucky not to hit him, the guy didn't care but it must have pissed off the driver.

Yeah but if youre walking and see someone not paying attention, yet still keep on going regardless you're as much an ahole as they are imo. They're dumb and inattentive, but you(not you personally) doing that is no better

Exception for elder, infirm etc who might struggle to get out of the way, and for those asshats who are both not payign attention and all over the place so any evasion technique is doomed to failure

Pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

As someone with reduced mobility, there is nothing, absolutely nothing more annoying than a prick trying to pass you out in a crowd because you're going 'too slow '

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

At least you can bypass one or two slow people. It’s the moronic families, with multiple people walking next to each other, that really block everyone and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This ^^^

no problem with slow walkers but fücks in a line walking slowly oblivious to everything and everybody around them…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's no footpath etiquette here, it's like they've just been invented and people are clueless about how to use them. Groups taking up the entire width and expecting you to step off to make way or get around them, and then the cyclists, they're FOOTpaths, the clue is in the name.

Same with escalators. Plonking bags down or buddies standing beside each other as a immovable barrier for anyone who wants to get past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

The person at the supermarket checkout at the very very last minute decides that she needs to pay for the groceries. Searches through her bag to find her purse then decides that it's a different purse she needs. Eventually finds the second purse then searches through it for the €10 off Dunnes Stores coupons.....still attached to the till receipt......hands them to the cashier, who then has to go through each one to see if they are in date. Then searches for the loyalty card to scan.....then searches through a different pocket in the first purse for coins to pay.........then takes forever to put the voucher neatly in her purse until next time......then starts packing the groceries......deciding that each item has to be packed in it's special bag....just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

The secret is to not be within a 9 mile radius of town or a shopping center, from Dec 1st.

I'd avoid that place in December if it was for a transplant. The thoughts of it.

Advertisement