Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-06-2019, 19:29   #16
Clareman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMrBrennan83 View Post
I'd agree mostly except no C. You should be heading home for finishing last in anything.
Fair enough, figured keeping as many teams playing as long as possible would be the best solution for all involved.
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 19:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
Fair enough, figured keeping as many teams playing as long as possible would be the best solution for all involved.
It's like giving the little fat lad a medal at the sports day because everyone has to get one these days. There has to a be a line where teams need to be told, if you want more games then go nuts and actually win some.
29-06-2019, 19:36   #18
Clareman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMrBrennan83 View Post
It's like giving the little fat lad a medal at the sports day because everyone has to get one these days. There has to a be a line where teams need to be told, if you want more games then go nuts and actually win some.
Leitrim had a great day out with their win last, just because teams aren't the top tier (or even second tier) doesn't mean lads aren't putting in the effort.
29-06-2019, 19:40   #19

Quote:
Leitrim had a great day out with their win last, just because teams aren't the top tier (or even second tier) doesn't mean lads aren't putting in the effort.
That is not remotely what I'm saying at all, Leitrim won games to get that day last week. I'm saying if you're put in a group and finish last then you should be eliminated rather than getting some token games. And if they don't want to be eliminated then they shouldn't finish last.
(3) thanks from:
29-06-2019, 23:30   #20
recyclebin

The All Ireland series needs to be separated from the provincials, full stop. It's a lot easier for certain teams in Connacht and Munster to make a provincial finals every year compared to Leinster or Ulster. They need to go to four regions of 8 if they want a fair provincial type system.

In comparison the Hurling is nearly fair except for the rules around Kerry getting into Munster.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 23:35   #21
threeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
The All Ireland series needs to be separated from the provincials, full stop. It's a lot easier for certain teams in Connacht and Munster to make a provincial finals every year compared to Leinster or Ulster. They need to go to four regions of 8 if they want a fair provincial type system.

In comparison the Hurling is nearly fair except for the rules around Kerry getting into Munster.
Surely connaught is less predictable than Leinster?

The provincials should replace the fbd, o Byrne cup etc. Games and they should have no part in the championship. What's being proposed is total crap.
(2) thanks from:
29-06-2019, 23:39   #22
recyclebin

16 Teams involved
Rd 1: 8 Teams v 8 Teams
Rd 2a: 4 Winners Rd 1 v 4 Winners Rd 1
Rd 2b: 4 Losers Rd 1 v 4 Losers Rd 1
Rd 3: 4 Rd 2b Winners v 4 Rd 2a Losers
QF: 4 Rd 2a Winners v 4 Rd 3 Winners
Semi-finals & Final

This is exactly how it works for the senior club championship in Laois and it works well.

It could be used for both A and B championships. For the first year you put division 1 and 2 teams into the A championship and the division 3 and 4 teams into the B championship.

Then at the end of the year the winners of B get promoted to A. The 4 losers in the A playoff in relegation semi finals and finals to decide who drops to the B.

For year two you don't have any connection between league and championship.
29-06-2019, 23:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post

If they must keep them then instead of League > Championship, they could do something like Provincials > Championship (based on more of a league). Only problem is whether the suits would go for it as their provincial competitions would end up as no more than run-out competitions for the big teams. Maybe having some carrot for the championship draw based on winning or getting to the final of the province might help but the balance is still stupid.
29-06-2019, 23:44   #24
recyclebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeball View Post
Surely connaught is less predictable than Leinster?

The provincials should replace the fbd, o Byrne cup etc. Games and they should have no part in the championship. What's being proposed is total crap.
Yes, Connaught is less predictable than Leinster but there are only really three teams that are really in a chance of getting to the final and guaranteed a place in the 'A' championship under the proposal. In Leinster you need to avoid Dublin in the draw and beat two or three evenly matched teams to get to a Leinster final.
Advertisement
30-06-2019, 14:06   #25
grbear

I don't see why counties would vote for these structure changes.

There's a task force in place aimed at sorting out the fixture calendar and adopting this new structure before they issue some sort of findings just seems foolish. Why adopt changes that could be labelled outdated before they are even implemented?

I also don't see how these changes will generate more revenue for the GAA. Ultimately if we want to see the Dublin model replicated and put more games development officers in more counties then the GAA need to be making more money. Maybe I'm missing something but the proposals on the table look like they end up with less tickets being sold.

Maybe I'm being harsh here but they just look like a rush job to ensure Horans has some sort of legacy from his time as president. Massaging one man's ego should be well done the list of the GAAs priorities so I hope both proposals get chucked out.
30-06-2019, 14:44   #26
rossie1977

An additional prize for the winner of the final under both proposals would be a place reserved in the following year’s All-Ireland Sam Maguire Championship, irrespective of their league position.

So if reading that correct the prize for winner is a place in qualifiers following year.
30-06-2019, 15:15   #27
The_Honeybadger

Both proposals fall well short of the change required. The imbalance in the various provincial championships is the single biggest issue and there is no acknowledgment or proposal to address that. I just don’t see the point in any of the changes put forward. I understand the provincial councils would be staunchly against change but do the GAA want a proper marketable and fair competition or don’t they? It can’t be done without upsetting a few people I am afraid.

The ideal setup for me would be to move the excellent league competition to the summer and run off a seeded 32 team knockout championship alongside it. The championship winners would have max five games. Playing the best competition in the muck and rain in January and February is outdated. Perhaps the provincials could be played then as a warm up competition for the season.

Last edited by The_Honeybadger; 30-06-2019 at 15:23.
Thanks from:
30-06-2019, 15:18   #28
Clareman

Those proposals would mean that Cork would be in tier 2, there is no way Cork, Kerry, Tipp and a few more would vote in favour of thay
Thanks from:
30-06-2019, 16:17   #29
Coillte_Bhoy

Quote:
Those proposals would mean that Cork would be in tier 2, there is no way Cork, Kerry, Tipp and a few more would vote in favour of thay
Ya but by getting to the Munster final they would be into the AI series
30-06-2019, 16:31   #30
Clareman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coillte_Bhoy View Post
Ya but by getting to the Munster final they would be into the AI series
I don't think they'd be willing to take the chance

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image