Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of getting phone unlocked?

Options
  • 11-12-2019 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the cost of getting a phone unlocked? (unlocked from network) Specifically I want to get a Sony Xperia 5 unlocked from the Three network. I checked on an unlock site but they had a quote for seemingly every phone in existence except the Xperia5.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Edit: I haven't bought the phone yet, but when I do buy it I will need to also use it with a UK sim so need it network unlocked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

If its your phone and you have spent more than €130.00 with them you can ask them to send you the unlock code free of charge. All you need is the IMIE number.

https://www.three.ie/unlock-my-phone/

info here

https://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWeb,T=CaseDoc,varset_CatID=6240,Case=obj(6242)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

T-Bird wrote: »
    If its your phone and you have spent more than €130.00 with them you can ask them to send you the unlock code free of charge. All you need is the IMIE number.

https://www.three.ie/unlock-my-phone/

info here

https://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWeb,T=CaseDoc,varset_CatID=6240,Case=obj(6242)

Thanks, I haven't actually bought the phone yet, but when I do buy it I will need to also use it with a UK sim so need it network unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Don't mean to hijack, can post a new thread if it's preferable...

Bought a phone from Vodafone, going to move to GoMo. I see a lot of online sites & offers on Ebay for unlocking.

Anyone recommend a reliable one? Currently with Eir, have been for 5+ years, presume they won't unlock it for me?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

just go onto ebay & get an unlock code
    I paid €11 to get phone unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DareGod wrote: »
    Thanks, I haven't actually bought the phone yet, but when I do buy it I will need to also use it with a UK sim so need it network unlocked.

Why don't you just buy an unlocked sim free version on amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It's a fairly new phone on the market so unlock codes are not often available so soon. Not only that if you get it through Three, they won't give you the unlock code until a certain amount of the bill or credit has been bought and that could be months down the line.
    If you do need it in the UK, would you not be able to use roaming anyway with your current number?

ebay is the best place to source unlock codes

you send the imei number to them, pay the fee and they send you back the code

prices can vary from a couple of euro to 50 euro, depending on the phone model and the country network combination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Thanks for all the responses and advice. (I'll be using the phone longterm in the UK so will definitely be using a UK sim)

If anyone can recommend any trustworthy reputable places to get a phone unlocked online that'd be really helpful.

DareGod wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses and advice. (I'll be using the phone longterm in the UK so will definitely be using a UK sim)

If anyone can recommend any trustworthy reputable places to get a phone unlocked online that'd be really helpful.

ebay sellers as said.

you can see their feedback rating on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm with Eir for donkeys years, phoned & said I bought a phone, not from ye/Eir for Xmas present. Person on the phone said he'll unlock it for me.
    As it happened they didn't couldn't go it there on then, (didn't have phone unlock details for that model or something...) but said they'll do it & get back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭xraylady

Do you know if sellers stating Vodafone UK would work for Irish VF phone? Also ? Problems unlocking iphones this way?

xraylady wrote: »
    Do you know if sellers stating Vodafone UK would work for Irish VF phone? Also ? Problems unlocking iphones this way?

could be risky even tho a big price difference may be tempting. you could ask the seller a question on ebay about it.

Advertisement