Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing an unlocked Android phone

• 12-12-2019 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Apologies if I have posted a similar thread before.

I am looking to purchase a new Android phone as a Christmas gift. The person for whom I am buying for previously purchased their current phone (a regular Nokia) from Tesco, and are with Tesco Mobile.

Just wondering if I was to purchase an unlocked Android phone, could the existing SIM card for the Nokia just simply be inserted into the new Android for immediate use?

I'm not very tech savvy so please bear with me.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I am me123 wrote: »
    Hi.

Apologies if I have posted a similar thread before.

I am looking to purchase a new Android phone as a Christmas gift. The person for whom I am buying for previously purchased their current phone (a regular Nokia) from Tesco, and are with Tesco Mobile.

Just wondering if I was to purchase an unlocked Android phone, could the existing SIM card for the Nokia just simply be inserted into the new Android for immediate use?

I'm not very tech savvy so please bear with me.

Thanks all.

Yep, unlocked means you can use any sim in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭I am me123

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yep, unlocked means you can use any sim in it

Thank you. :)

the only issue could be if the sim card is an old one that it may well be of a fixed size (one of the older bigger sizes). there are 3 main sizes but most/all modern phones now take sim cards of the nano size

main-qimg-f8e1ad6034003e663d6848156b9ae836.webp

you can cut an older one down yourself of course with a scissors but you do risking screwing it up (particularly if going from the old mini to nano)

so if you need to do this to avoid going back to tescomobile to get a new sim card and then getting the number transferred over to the new sim you can cut it as I said.

if you follow a good guide it's actually fine to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

glasso wrote: »
    so if you need to do this to avoid going back to tescomobile to get a new sim card and then getting the number transferred over to the new sim you can cut it as I said.

if you follow a good guide it's actually fine to do

I thought that all sim cards were 3 in 1 now?

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    I thought that all sim cards were 3 in 1 now?

the OP mentions "regular nokia" (more likely to take the full-size old sim card) from tesco so there is a decent chance that this is an old sim card without the cutouts for all three options that they now come with.

If it helps here is the phone in question

that informs nothing tbh

what size is the sim card inside and does the sim card have the option to push out smaller sizes out of the original big size?

like this.

3-in-1-SIM.jpg

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Just wondering if I was to take my existing SIM to a phone shop, could they adjust my existing SIM to make it a Nano SIM size?

Or failing that, can they just activate the existing phone number on standard sized sim, and activate it on new Nano SIM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

If sim was purchased at the same time as that phone, it's likely to be pre cut - just judging by the age of the phone and when it became standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

I am me123 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Just wondering if I was to take my existing SIM to a phone shop, could they adjust my existing SIM to make it a Nano SIM size?

Or failing that, can they just activate the existing phone number on standard sized sim, and activate it on new Nano SIM?

In my experience, they can't cut to nano, but can cut to micro. You won't be able to do a Sim swap on the phone unless you are the registered owner

uchimata83 wrote: »
    In my experience, they can't cut to nano, but can cut to micro. You won't be able to do a Sim swap on the phone unless you are the registered owner

Cheers for the info. 😊

Thanks guys!

Everything worked out great switching over to new phone!

Many thanks.

Just in case I forgot 'Merry Christmas guys! :D:D:D

Advertisement