Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding at its worst in Current Affairs

Options
  • 20-06-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me why this is deemed as "attacking the post not the poster". I was carded and threadbanned for that post.

While...

This.

This.

This.

Are not.

I already know why, it's because Faceman is a mod.

This post, was the mods attempt at an Oprah Winfrey moment.

It's clear and admitted trolling of the whole thread, people reacted by calling out this mod and were carded, the mod only got retrospectly carded after they admitted to personally abusing people and saying they were leaving the thread.
    Thank you, finally someone said it.

My behaviour on this thread has been less than savoury, and anyone familiar with my posting style will know its very uncharacteristic.

I did it on purpose to prove a point. I knew that people would think my position as a mod would be interpreted as receiving preferential treatment. While many things I said on the topic are true, I was said things that suited the agenda of what I was trying to say. Re-writing history if you will.

Therefore when I said offensive things to you and others, you felt it was unfair and you were being treated less favourably than me. I expect some of my posts were reported and maybe or maybe not action was taken. But to you and the others, I continued to post, unscathed. Its interested in a thread giving out about censorship that when someone comes along with an opposing view and reaction, that my posts were reported and, as you said, my behaviour disgusting,

All of this is an analogy for white privilege, equity, fairness and equality.

I'm bowing out from here, Ive made my point.

FWIW, I don't agree with the TV shows or movies being pulled. But I am listening to the reasons as to why to better educate myself on why it's an issue. Everyone should.

Can anyone explain?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread moved

Not site-wide feedback. Forum specific and/or mod complaints are dealt with in Help Desk

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did you report any of the posts you had a problem with?

Just one point I would initially make - Faceman is not a mod or CMod of Current Affairs. In that forum they are treated as a regular user

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Can someone tell me why this is deemed as "attacking the post not the poster". I was carded and threadbanned for that post.

While...

This.

This.

This.

Are not.

I already know why, it's because Faceman is a mod.

Can anyone explain?

I wasn't online when the thread took that turn, and when I took a look at that thread yesterday too, and I have to admit, the mod actions do look disjointed. I don't think the mod team are at fault here - the thread became extremely fast moving and contentious for a period, and mods were actioning individual user breaches of the rules trying to keep up, without being able to look at the thread as a whole and mod it as a collective group of people engaging in a back and forth with each other, and generally being dicks. I had the benefit of being able to sit down that evening once the hue and cry died down and look at the day as a whole, and that's the only reason why I might have a different perspective than someone in the middle of it that day.

Nobody "got off" because they are a mod - I believe there were infractions and threadbans handed out there too, although not attached to the particular post you linked to. I'm also, on a personal level, pïssed that a CMod seemingly decided to troll the forum and make an already difficult task that much harder.

I would like not so speak further on it for now, but I have already brought this thread to the attention of the other admin for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mike_ie wrote: »
    I wasn't online when the thread took that turn, and when I took a look at that thread yesterday too, and I have to admit, the mod actions do look disjointed. I don't think the mod team are at fault here - the thread became extremely fast moving and contentious for a period, and mods were actioning individual user breaches of the rules trying to keep up, without being able to look at the thread as a whole and mod it as a collective group of people engaging in a back and forth with each other, and generally being dicks. I had the benefit of being able to sit down that evening once the hue and cry died down and look at the day as a whole, and that's the only reason why I might have a different perspective than someone in the middle of it that day.

Nobody "got off" because they are a mod - I believe there were infractions and threadbans handed out there too, although not attached to the particular post you linked to. I'm also, on a personal level, pïssed that a CMod seemingly decided to troll the forum and make an already difficult task that much harder.

I would like not so speak further on it for now, but I have already brought this thread to the attention of the other admin for a second opinion.

Mike I appreciate the feedback on this. The modding on boards in general is quite good and it’s one of the things that makes the site enjoyable.

However since you’ve reviewed the mods actions and deemed the mods actions disjointed because they couldn’t keep up I would like my infractions for this thread removed. I did not personally abuse people in the thread as stated.

And one more thing. I’d like to bring this to your attention once again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113828278&postcount=312

You yourself have given me this yellow card warning for “uncivil” behaviour. I can see what the mods of boards are at. It’s called death by one thousand cuts. You can’t get me on any actual rule breach so instead you’ll target me and the extremely broad rule of being “uncivil”.

It’s an extremely contentious discussion and I do not go overboard with my opinions. Have a look at that post you yellow carded me for. What you actually carded me for was “wrong thinking”.

I will not be perusing any more of these infractions but I will continue to post to this thread anytime I receive an infraction as a personal log of the continued shocking moderation of Current Affairs.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mike I appreciate the feedback on this. The modding on boards in general is quite good and it’s one of the things that makes the site enjoyable.

Thank you.
    However since you’ve reviewed the mods actions and deemed the mods actions disjointed because they couldn’t keep up I would like my infractions for this thread removed. I did not personally abuse people in the thread as stated.

I didn't 'review' anything - I took a look over the thread when I got online myself, after the onslaught of posts had died down. Which of course gives the benefit of hindsight. But yes, I stand behind my opinion that mod actions seem disjointed. I also stand behind my opinion that it wasn't down to bad modding, but multiple mods trying to keep a lid on a fast moving thread at the same time where a good subset of posters decided to push back no matter what. Do the mod actions seem contiguous in terms of what you feel should be a yellow card actually was a red? Possibly not. But were mod actions unwarranted? No, I don't believe so.

But if you do feel that your mod action was unfair, then you, like every other poster on the site, has the option of appealing it in DRP, with a CMod or admin unaffiliated with CA. Something that you haven't followed through on so far.
    And one more thing. I’d like to bring this to your attention once again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113828278&postcount=312

You yourself have given me this yellow card warning for “uncivil” behaviour. I can see what the mods of boards are at. It’s called death by one thousand cuts. You can’t get me on any actual rule breach so instead you’ll target me and the extremely broad rule of being “uncivil”.

I have to admit that when people go down the road of "they're out to get me", I start tuning out. Nobody's being singled out here. Frankly, I wouldn't have the time to, even if I had the inclination. The broad descriptor 'Uncivil' is one of a very finite list of options we can choose from when applying an infraction or ban, and what you left out in your post is that I have you a detailed mod note with the same card, outlining exactly what the issue was.
    It’s an extremely contentious discussion and I do not go overboard with my opinions. Have a look at that post you yellow carded me for. What you actually carded me for was “wrong thinking”.

I didn't mod your opinion, again, something I made clear in the card itself, and in the PM exchange afterwards. Your opening line in that post was a direct potshot at another poster. The remaining content of your post (your opinion) wasn't modded at all, and you are being disingenuous by implying that it was.
    I will not be perusing any more of these infractions but I will continue to post to this thread anytime I receive an infraction as a personal log of the continued shocking moderation of Current Affairs.

So, in summary:
    • Even though you feel that many mod actions against you are unwarranted, and singling you out (death by a thousand cuts), you will not be taking any of them to DRP to be viewed by an impartial party.
    • You will instead be posting all perceived slights WRT any cards issued to you in the help desk instead as a running tally of your unjust treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I completely expected that response.

Correct, I won’t be taking this further but rather keeping this thread as a log of one sided modding (you know what side). It’s especially prevalent in the current affairs forum.

You have the Ryanair approach to these things, you’ve purposely made the appeals process conveniently... inconvenient. I’d rather not have my appeals process buried amongst other frivolous appeals but instead I’ll keep an open log here of the one sided moderation of Current Affairs for all to see. I will link each of my supposed infractions as they arise...and they will as I’m targeted along with others with similar views. You only have to go back through the recent current affairs threads to see yellows and reds handed out for nothing and funnily enough they all seem to be on one side of the fence...

Boards is a place for discussion and debate. Constantly target those on one side of the debate and pretty soon you’ll be talking to yourself.

You have the Ryanair approach to these things, you’ve purposely made the appeals process conveniently... inconvenient.

Step 1: Go to DRP forum.
    Step 2: Post your grievance.

Aside from being oddly reminiscent of the BASIC programs I learnt as a kid, I can't imagine how we could streamline the process any further TBH.
    I’d rather not have my appeals process buried amongst other frivolous appeals but instead I’ll keep an open log here of the one sided moderation of Current Affairs for all to see.

So... in a thread started by you where you are adamant that everybody should be treated equally across the site and have the same rights and procedures afforded to every other poster, you feel your infractions are, in your words, less frivolous than everyone else's, and therefore should be more visible in their own special thread in the help desk? You can see how this might appear problematic in the face of your stance on equality.

Boards has procedures in place to deal with your grievances, and you are welcome to avail of DRP in the same way that every other poster can. However you don't simply get to make up your own policies and use the Help Desk as your own personal ticketing system because you don't feel the existing procedures in place apply to you.

As far as I am concerned, your original concern has been addressed and answered. Your other concerns can be taken to DRP.

/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement