Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses Kilcock

Options
  • 20-09-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I noticed a new housing development being built on the Maynooth to Kilcock R148, close to the Rye Water (Meath side). Does anyone know the name of the development?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I noticed a new housing development being built on the Maynooth to Kilcock R148, close to the Rye Water (Meath side). Does anyone know the name of the development?

Big sign at the new roundabout http://www.property.ie/new-homes/Millerstown-Maynooth-Road-Kilcock-Co-Kildare/90172/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

And if you need further info, I suggest having a look for the planning applications on Meath Co Co. This should give you almost every detail, from services, drainage, road and house placements right down to floor plans of every house type.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Thanks, I disregarded Millerstown as the location is marked incorrectly on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

That field was a known flood plain. Serious drainage issues. Builder has had to perform some major works to the river and drainage. Yet, today I drove by and after a days rain (constant but not extreme), water is pooling on the grass verge beside the river. That bothers me.

How will the area hold up to a rain event like in recent years? What will insurance be like? A lot of locals have raised concerns about this.

They are nice houses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I noticed that too ixus. I'd be concerned. We needed to be 100m from the nearest waterway to get insurance. I doubt they are.

On an aside, does anyone know when the back road opens again from the summerhill roundabout to the moyglare road (I don't know their official names)?

• Advertisement

On an aside, does anyone know when the back road opens again from the summerhill roundabout to the moyglare road (I don't know their official names)?

No idea but I think the link road is the R125, well most of it. I think the section from Summerhill Road (R158) to the T junction on the way to the Moyglare road is a local road....not aware of any name or designation but I'm sure someone does

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tespor

Does anyone know what, if any, measures the builder has taken to mitigate flooding in Millerstown?

tespor wrote: »
    Does anyone know what, if any, measures the builder has taken to mitigate flooding in Millerstown?

Part of planning, they had to do major works. Anyone who is interested in that development should really be looking at the plans and submissions on Meath CoCo website. Will edit with links when i get chance.
    Developer Sean O'Reilly (Maple 10) is doing it under the name McGarrell Reilly Homes.

Plans are on the Meath CoCo online planning site at: RA150205

If you go to "View Scanned Files" you can see the types of housing

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Buy a house at your own risk in that field, notorious for flooding, with the Rye river and Royal canal running in close proximity. I got blocked from the Millerstown facebook page for mentioning the field flooding in the past.

Launching tomorrow, headline price to get you in the door.
    "FROM"
    325k 3bed
    375k 4 bed
    500k 5 bed

Almost Maynooth prices.

• Advertisement

They are high prices alright. The new lower train fares have made the town more attractive as well. As for flooding, I went for a walk along the canal tow path this afternoon. I could see several sections of grassy areas beside pathways alongside the Rye within the Complex to be under several inches of water. Considering there's been no rain for a good few days, I'd be a bit concerned.

Yes, it hasn't drained off for a few weeks now. This is before Ophelia. You'd have worry what it will look like come Feb with a Winters worth of rain. Wonder if it will be remedied before launch...

Ophelia delivered very little rain. There had been a decent bit of rain at other times before and after but after a good few days of no rain at all, I would expect that surface water to have drained off.

highdef wrote: »
    Ophelia delivered very little rain. There had been a decent bit of rain at other times before and after but after a good few days of no rain at all, I would expect that surface water to have drained off.

But it hasn't drained at any stage and the crux of the point is this is brand new relief work and drainage. Is it fit for purpose, is that doing its job. If it is supposed to operate as so, fine but i seriously doubt it is. Council should be assessing and enforcing remedial works where required.

It does rain a lot around north kildare. You can't have an estate in a constant state of puddling for 6months of the year, especially on a flood plain with a new system. There should be no leeway on this.

Viewed them. Nice, as showhomes generally are. Plenty of interest, good few of front sold/booked already.
    ixus wrote: »
    Launching tomorrow, headline price to get you in the door.
    "FROM"
    325k 3bed 320, 325
    375k 4 bed 370, 375, 395, 400, 410
    500k 5 bed 500, 525, 565k

Almost Maynooth prices.

565k is a tough sell, only 1 left though. Is on the edge at what will be a main road with a tiny garden. Downstairs kitchen area is small. First and second floor great space though.

Struggle with 500k when boycetown was 400/410 recently. But then, I don't understand people at the best of times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't see how you can get Maynooth prices in Kilcock with the abject lack of services. SuperValu helps, a little, but it's still effectively a rural village core with insufficient transport.

North Kildare prices are insane now - households with solid dual incomes can't afford to buy now let alone single incomes

And there is going to be an explosion of housing with no facilities if Kilcock keeps going at this rate. That area is set for 3-600 houses going out around the back of Supervalue to Summerhill road. You then have the land in behind pub across from church (always for get name) sold for about 900k for housing, another field towards boycetown and the old factory has just been advertised for sale with planning for a huge amount of houses too. Place will be more chronic than Maynooth if facilities aren't managed.

The full bypass scheme around the whole town needs to be done before all those planned houses are built. The road network is Kilcock is of an ancient design, going back many hundreds of years. The centre of Kilcock is unable to handle any more traffic so it's essential that if any new housing estates are built, they can be accessed via a ring road and NOT have to pass through the core of the village.

And back to the flooding near the river. I was thinking a bit more about it. Not only does the lay of the land result in rainwater wanting to head towards the river but when the housing is complete, there will be a MASSIVE amount of tarmac and concrete surfaces so run-off will become a bigger issues.

Along the full frontage of the estate, the Rye river has been widened substantially. Whilst this looks quite nice from an aesthetic point of view, it means that this section of river has a much higher capacity than it did before. Whilst this sounds great, don't forget that once you move on beyond the estate, the river narrows back down to it's almost steam like dimensions. As a result, there will be a LOT of water in the widened area at the estate trying to flow into the original narrow bit downstream.....simple physics will not allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hijjins147

Are any of you from this area? Do you have anything from the past that would indicate that the field used to flood?

Was this actually a floodplain? I've been looking on floodmaps.ie and on the kilcock flood risk assessment and nothing is showing for this area.

I would like to be proven wrong. My gut says this place will flood.

• Advertisement

Why not read the planning conditions, flood analysis and objections for yourself? All the relevant information is there.
    ixus wrote: »
    Part of planning, they had to do major works. Anyone who is interested in that development should really be looking at the plans and submissions on Meath CoCo website. Will edit with links when i get chance.
    Developer Sean O'Reilly (Maple 10) is doing it under the name McGarrell Reilly Homes.

Plans are on the Meath CoCo online planning site at: RA150205

If you go to "View Scanned Files" you can see the types of housing

I have already looked in to those documents and I can see all the relevant information about flood risk. I have also seen the appeals scanned files but they aren't too clear on what the objections were.

I can't find anything around the place that refers to this area being a floodplain?

I have been researching the Meath and Kildare LAP documents for Kilcock and both of them pretty much say the same thing.

"Development should not itself be subject to
    an inappropriate risk of flooding nor should it cause or
    exacerbate such a risk at other locations. Development
    that is sensitive to the effects of flooding will generally
    not be permitted in flood prone or marginal areas."

DFBL Engineers carried out a Flood Impact Assessment and said the below:

"Proposals agreed with both the OPW and ERFB included the optimisation of the existing floodplain bounding the site and the diversion of the existing river, in part, to enable access via a new distributor road. A key element of the study / works was to ensure no detrimental effect on existing lands upstream or downstream of the subject site in terms of flood impact."

So there is an existing Floodplain bounding the site, but I am still to find that the site itself is a floodplain.

On the drainage issues, This would be due to the grass being new? It needs to mature and then the drainage will improve?

hijjins147 wrote: »
    So there is an existing Floodplain bounding the site, but I am still to find that the site itself is a floodplain.

On the drainage issues, This would be due to the grass being new? It needs to mature and then the drainage will improve?

The grassy areas that currently (and have done for some time) are covered in water are the same areas that were covered in water before any developments took place. There's quite a distance from the river to the first row of houses - I'd almost put on a wager that this distance (and slight height in elevation) was deliberately put in place so as to be a buffer in times of incessant heavy rains and consequential rise in river levels to levels greater than it's banks.

Now, I could be completely wrong on all of this and you could be correct about the grass being young being the reason for the flooding now but I don't think that is the case, based on observations of the land in the is area over the past 8 years that I have been living in the vicinity.

Yes you are right on that. The distance of the houses and the height in elevation is for flood mitigation. You will notice that the houses are higher, and that there are 2 raised banks of grass in the green area before the houses. I would say that the bottom section of the grass will flood and is supposed to flood. But the heightened grass banks in the middle of the green area will protect the houses. The houses are about 100m from the river and 500mm above the 100 year flood level.

Would you say a good part of that field was submerged in water or just the front before this was housing?
    There is a drain smack bang middle of the grass area towards the back for water drainage. Would the river have flooded the field in the past from what you have seen?

Construction companies engineers make direct reference to it:

Rye Water Flood Impact Assessment, Kilcock - DBFL — DBFL
    http://www.dbfl.ie/projects/rye-water-flood-impact-assessment-kilcock/

"Proposals agreed with both the OPW and ERFB included the optimisation of the existing floodplain bounding the site and the diversion of the existing river, in part, to enable access via a new distributor road"

hijjins147 wrote: »

Would you say a good part of that field was submerged in water or just the front before this was housing?
    There is a drain smack bang middle of the grass area towards the back for water drainage. Would the river have flooded the field in the past from what you have seen?

I can't remember too well as to what extent the flooding was before the development was built but I certainly remember seeing large areas of flooding adjacent to the river.

WRT the grassy banks, I would agree that their purpose is basically to be dams.

As I mentioned earlier, my main concern is that the run off from all the houses (shed rooves)and all hard surfaces (roads, paths, driveways, etc) will discharge into the widened and deepened river. Most of that water would previously have soaked into the ground where it fell but now will all be going into the river. This will be in addition to the natural flow of the river. During times of heavy/torrential rain, this widened and deepened section of the river will fill very quickly. This, combined with the fact that the river will narrow back to it's regular small size immediately downstream will mean all this extra water will have nowhere to go.

Whilst studies have been done with regards to the flooding habits of the river, these have all been based on the past, when it was in it's natural state. Physically, the river has been changed plus it will now have a lot more water flowing into it from the housing estate.....it's basically like a new tributary has been added to the Rye at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

I can't remember too well as to what extent the flooding was before the development was built but I certainly remember seeing large areas of flooding adjacent to the river.

WRT the grassy banks, I would agree that their purpose is basically to be dams.

As I mentioned earlier, my main concern is that the run off from all the houses (shed rooves)and all hard surfaces (roads, paths, driveways, etc) will discharge into the widened and deepened river. Most of that water would previously have soaked into the ground where it fell but now will all be going into the river. This will be in addition to the natural flow of the river. During times of heavy/torrential rain, this widened and deepened section of the river will fill very quickly. This, combined with the fact that the river will narrow back to it's regular small size immediately downstream will mean all this extra water will have nowhere to go.

Whilst studies have been done with regards to the flooding habits of the river, these have all been based on the past, when it was in it's natural state. Physically, the river has been changed plus it will now have a lot more water flowing into it from the housing estate.....it's basically like a new tributary has been added to the Rye at this point.

This is the flood map for the area

http://maps.opw.ie/fhrm_pdf_final/east/uom09/kilcock/01_ex/fluvial/e09kik_exfcd_f0_07.pdf

Anyone know if the houses will have a Meath or Kildare address? Although I'm geographically in Kildare, my postal address is Meath however when it comes to house selling, the houses in the village and surrounding area are put down as being in Kildare.
    I can only assume the vice versa would be in place for this development in Kilcock?
    IE: When it comes to selling houses, it's the geographical location that is used, not what An Post says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Anyone know if the houses will have a Meath or Kildare address? Although I'm geographically in Kildare, my postal address is Meath however when it comes to house selling, the houses in the village and surrounding area are put down as being in Kildare.
    I can only assume the vice versa would be in place for this development in Kilcock?
    IE: When it comes to selling houses, it's the geographical location that is used, not what An Post says.
    They are in Meath and while no surprise that Meath people would pretend that they are in Kildare that field would never ever have been rezoned if it were in Kildare. Hope they can swim (and fight when High Green Field goes in behind them).

• Advertisement

High Green Field?

Advertisement