Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Liverpool fan here...thanks...and well done. Spurs and city back to back. Decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Liverpool fan here...thanks...and well done. Spurs and city back to back. Decent.

No problem. Leicester May run you tight this year and I will pull up this post to show how everyone thought city and Liverpool were in a race and really it was B Rod all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

BDI wrote: »
    No problem. Leicester May run you tight this year and I will pull up this post to show how everyone thought city and Liverpool were in a race and really it was B Rod all along.

Stranger things have happened!

Stranger things have happened!

Yeah every year. Somebody bursts from the traps.

That team this year have to play two games in a foreign tournament during a busy Christmas period with a squad that seems to be on the edge of falling out with each other. Who knows. Pressure is a mother frucker and tiredness makes people silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Surely there is one of those WhatsApp messages going around regarding the contents of Wan Bissaka's pockets?!
    Thought he was outstanding today against one of the leagues most dangerous attackers.

Sterling absolutely roasted him early on but he recovered well in fairness.

United have now beat both Spurs and City (away!) n a couple of days and people still can't give credit in here. What's the point of supporting a team for some of you? They are much better teams than United and yet they won both games relatively comfortably. With better finishing neither game would have been remotely close.

Lingard had another great game and I notice very little praise of him too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,623 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Liam O wrote: »

Lingard had another great game and I notice very little praise of him too....

I'm sure your poster of him on your bedroom wall had a mysterious incident with ectoplasm caused by a spooky ghost lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just has a peek at their thread, amazing how many of them supported us today and cheered as we scored.

Thats the difference i guess, no matter what, i could never EVER want them to win a thing

Ah now, is it really that different to this gleeful post from yourself in the aftermath of the City game last April:
    scudzilla wrote:
    FIRST

Not like Liverpool

?

As you said yourself, you seem happy enough to root against Utd when required:
    scudzilla wrote:
    What a strange season, i've supported United, City and now Spurs

Great win tonight. Ole may have turned a few things around, certainly an excellent two games against quality opponents. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm sure your poster of him on your bedroom wall had a mysterious incident with ectoplasm caused by a spooky ghost lol

Well done, you're really good at noticing what actually happens on the pitch and not just making reactionary remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Credited, by himself.

He has also been here for the year we've been rubbish for.

How did his managerial career go?

Thought there was something along those lines.

I don't know to be honest. I was asking a genuine question not a passive aggressive rhetorical one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Beasty wrote: »
    I feel confident both the FA and police will be all over this. Given what went on with England and incidents elsewhere in Europe there is absolutely no way this is ever going to get brushed under the carpet

As always, it's the minority that are spoiling it for the majority, and City can expect a reasonably serious sanction. May not be points, but this is likely to be the highest profile "domestic" incident in recent times and they have to act

Racist chanting, objects thrown at opposition players. It SHOULD be quite a hit for that... quite a double whammy of appalling behavior. I think in instances such as this a big fine is fûck all use. What would focus the minds I think is a couple of points disappearing from their total. It would encourage their own fans their own genuine fans and the club to police their own in a more proactive manner. There didn’t seem to be much ‘self policing’ from stewards or fans there tonight.

Considering it would be interesting to see an empty Ethiad for one home game as opposed to a fine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Strumms wrote: »
    Considering it would be interesting to see an empty Ethiad for one home game as opposed to a fine too.

Without wanting to take away from the serious nature of the topic at hand, the "Emptyhad" already has a reputation for being "less than full" anyway.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Always great to beat city, i don't expect much to happen in regards to the fred incident, they will get a very small fine i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah now, is it really that different to this gleeful post from yourself in the aftermath of the City game last April:

?

As you said yourself, you seem happy enough to root against Utd when required:

Great win tonight. Ole may have turned a few things around, certainly an excellent two games against quality opponents. :)

LuckyLloyd, done for arson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Racist chanting, objects thrown at opposition players. It SHOULD be quite a hit for that... quite a double whammy of appalling behavior. I think in instances such as this a big fine is fûck all use. What would focus the minds I think is a couple of points disappearing from their total. It would encourage their own fans their own genuine fans and the club to police their own in a more proactive manner. There didn’t seem to be much ‘self policing’ from stewards or fans there tonight.

Is it, dare I say, typical of a small-minded Little-Englander club? We all know that a lot of the England international teams' trouble is the fact that fans from the lower league clubs follow them. Is it possible that Man City fans struggle to outgrow this? They refuse to believe they are at the top table, and must continue to slum it with your Colchesters and Exeter's etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That'll hit Noel and the 7 other fans hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Regarding the possession stats. It would be silly to get into a battle with a Guardiola team for possession. Peps whole modus operandi is to win the ball high and dominate possession. If you look at his post match interview today it gives you an insight into his mindset. He thinks City played really well. He’s convinced, and he’s probably right, that if they play like that and dominate like that then they win the vast majority of the time.

However, it is exploitable if you have the players to do so. Madrid punished his Bayern side badly and his Barca side were caught a few times too towards the end of his reign there.

Some teams are more than happy to gift them possession.

For what it’s worth United are not one of them teams. We are just not good enough to take it back off them and keep it.

Maguire, Fred, Rashford, Wan B and McTominay were exceptional tonight. Fred finally showing that there is a player in there. Some of his passing in between the lines was vital. His first touch still a bit ropey though.

I was watching Maguire a lot during the game as I was aware lots of people have been critical of him when I thought he was playing well. He was a leader today. Constantly organising the defence and midfield. He was talking Wan Bissaka through the whole game. He was my man of the match anyway.

Please just kick on now and put together a run of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One of the most enjoyable 30 mins of football in a long time. Spent the next 60+ minutes completely stressed but overall great result. I think what's great is that even if/when Solskjaer doesn't work out, there is a good foundation to build on for next manager

For all City's possession, they did very little with it. They had twice as many attempts as we had, 22 to our 11, but hit less than a quarter of them on target (5/22) where we hit over half of ours on target (7/11). Sure, our lads sat a little too deep too often at 2-1, and we've seen teams overturn/nullify deficits against us in such circumstances this season, but luckily City just weren't firing up front in this particular game. Somehow our lads saw it out and dare I say...they showed character and fight.

He might not have been out injured for months, but I'm very impressed with how quickly McTominay has settled back into the team as an important figure. Both against Spurs and especially City, he was well on his game. I don't mean this to take anything away from the improving Fred, but McTom seems to bring out the best in him or make conditions ripe for Fred to thrive. Fred can't play in CM with Pereira, because for one, it appears that Pereria can't play CM.

Rashford is in almighty form and it's great to see his confidence so high. That cheeky dink he hit the crossbar with in the first half demonstrates that confidence. All of our attackers impressed; Lingard showing how you have a top attacking performance without scoring or making an assist. Dan James showing that £15m was a steal in the current market. Martial showing us what he is really capable of, some hard work from him in the build-up to his goal and James was vital to the move with his touches too. This overhead, tracking angle of the goal at 0:56 in the following clip is a thing of beauty...

https://streamable.com/51goh

I'm quite content with these two unlikely wins after the two unlikely draws. It feels good right now and up until another ball is kicked, but unfortunately will mean fúck all if we can't get the win at home to Everton next weekend and capitalise on these two wins. Everton have their 'Ole' in charge now, like Arsenal, and seem to be having a bit of a bounce, unlike Arsenal. I hope our lads don't get over-confident after these wins and drop the heads against Everton.

Finally, those City fans who lost the run of themselves. Such braindead behaviour and utter petulance. Be it UEFA, the FA and/or clubs themselves, real punishments need to be handed down to dissuade all fans from this kind of shíte. Surely one of the 7 million HD cameras in the Etihad can identify the worst culprits and an example should be made of them. With repeated offences among fans, clubs in England should be docked points. We've seen many instances in the news from Italian football lately of what this can get like, it should be nipped in the bud in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

For all City's possession, they did very little with it. They had twice as many attempts as we had, 22 to our 11, but hit less than a quarter of them on target (5/22) where we hit over half of ours on target (7/11).

Their xG was 2.07

United's was 1.63

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

8-10 wrote: »
    Their xG was 2.07

United's was 1.63

Their goals scored was 1

Uniteds goals scored was 2

That's all that matters :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

McT at the end there. He is a wonderful ****house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Trigger wrote: »
    Their goals scored was 1

4dc.gif

8-10 wrote: »
    Their xG was 2.07

United's was 1.63

I dont understand this stat and never have. I watched it with my eyes and United had some massive chances first half.

City did not have as good chances, again from watching with my eyes, and how do you even quantify their goal itself in that type of stat.

City had one big chance as far as I remember. When Silva(?) had a chance of a volley on the far post and couldn’t change the direction of the ball.

Apart from that a few half chances. United should have been 4 up after 30 minutes.

I dont understand this stat and never have. I watched it with my eyes and United had some massive chances first half.

City did not have as good chances, again from watching with my eyes, and how do you even quantify their goal itself in that type of stat.

They also don't include Martials goal in that, he wasnt expected to score there. Like ffs he did score. If two goals are scored and your xG is 1.6 there is something wrong with using those stats to back up your argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Does anybody know where I can watch highlights from MOTD last night?

I misssd it as was out , dancing very badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Should be on full matches

RasTa wrote: »
    Should be on full matches

Is this the BBC app as that doesn’t work for me.

Edit, actually found one, thanks

https://highlightsfootball.net/video/motd-bbc-match-of-the-day-week-16-07-12-2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Their goals scored was 1

I know, you missed the point I was making relating to the post I quoted.

• Advertisement

They also don't include Martials goal in that, he wasnt expected to score there. Like ffs he did score. If two goals are scored and your xG is 1.6 there is something wrong with using those stats to back up your argument

And this is it. If a player taking a shot from 12 yards out doesn't count at all towards a goal in your calculations, then the thing is broken.

It wasnt some hit and hope from 40 yards, it was a shot into the corner from 12 yards out, those go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Throw the book at him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think they need to do what their own players want :D

https://twitter.com/BGinge8/status/1203636049785892865?s=09

I'd be at Anfield every week if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

xG is one of the stupidest created stats I've ever seen.

Some stats are actually useful others are just absolute junk created by stupid algorithm with no practical use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

pjohnson wrote: »
    xG is one of the stupidest created stats I've ever seen.

Some stats are actually useful others are just absolute junk created by stupid algorithm with no practical use.

Care to explain why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Care to explain why?

You're after watching your team lose 1-2 but the stats tell you they should have won 3-0, who cares?

Care to explain why?

Because last night United, through watching with my own eyeballs, had the better chances and the stat tells me that they didnt. The fact that a shot from 12 yards out that goes in is never expected to go in apparently.

It may have some uses iver massive datasets but it is incredibly flawed on a game to game basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

The company the individual works for tweeted last night about investigating the incident and he has been named on the replies the thread makes horrendous reading for his family and his future job prospects but if you make monkey chants and are involved in racist abuse you have to take the consequences.

Next few games league games will be interesting.

In spite of new manager bounce, if Everton play as attacking as they did this weekend you would fancy Uniteds counter attacking play to pick it apart. Question for Ferguson is whether he shuts up shop (if he can) or just try to outscore probably the best counter attacking team in the league. Its almost a shame the game isnt at goodison.

Watford, Newcastle and Burnley are games on paper we should win, but can this team learn to win games that are tight and the opponents are just sitting back? This I suppose appears to be Ole's biggest challange and may make or break his tenure. Going a goal up in these games may be integral (as opponents have to then go at you a bit).

Even if this next month is full of ups and downs, it does feel like the last two games have actually provided clear evidence that maybe there is something to be hopeful of from Ole. I know we arent much better off on paper from this time last year but you can see how devastating the football can be at times. It feels like maybe we just lack a bit of quality and a bench (some options).

I dont know if a Pogba fits into this squad (he doesn't want to be here anyways, so that wont be a problem) as it does seem more like a Leicester, with good players playing well as a team. I was dreading these last two games as whatever about my concerns about Ole, I didn't want to see him sacked on such a low. I hope he and this team continues to prove me and many others wrong. I really hope they dont undo all this positive work over the coming months.

With such a young squad, it is prob gonna be a real flippy floppy season. If we finish in top 6, with more signs like this that the team is on the up I can get behind that. Is it dreaming too much to think this week could be something we might fondly look back on like Mark Robins goal in Forret v United in 1990. At that stage there were banners at Old Trafford saying "three years of excuses" suggesting fans didnt have to confidence of Ferguson. Would love nothing more then it to happen with Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Colchester quarter final in the mix between these league games hopefully that's a good chance to rest some players but also a must win game to keep morale and team dynamics going a nice run of wins in the games between now and New Year's day would be great to see

Drumpot wrote: »

In spite of new manager bounce, if Everton play as attacking as they did this weekend you would fancy Uniteds counter attacking play to pick it apart. Question for Ferguson is whether he shuts up shop (if he can) or just try to outscore probably the best counter attacking team in the league. Its almost a shame the game isnt at goodison.

Watford, Newcastle and Burnley are games on paper we should win, but can this team learn to win games that are tight and the opponents are just sitting back? This I suppose appears to be Ole's biggest challange and may make or break his tenure. Going a goal up in these games may be integral (as opponents have to then go at you a bit).

Even if this next month is full of ups and downs, it does feel like the last two games have actually provided clear evidence that maybe there is something to be hopeful of from Ole. I know we arent much better off on paper from this time last year but you can see how devastating the football can be at times. It feels like maybe we just lack a bit of quality and a bench (some options).

I dont know if a Pogba fits into this squad (he doesn't want to be here anyways, so that wont be a problem) as it does seem more like a Leicester, with good players playing well as a team. I was dreading these last two games as whatever about my concerns about Ole, I didn't want to see him sacked on such a low. I hope he and this team continues to prove me and many others wrong. I really hope they dont undo all this positive work over the coming months.

With such a young squad, it is prob gonna be a real flippy floppy season. If we finish in top 6, with more signs like this that the team is on the up I can get behind that. Is it dreaming too much to think this week could be something we might fondly look back on like Mark Robins goal in Forret v United in 1990. At that stage there were banners at Old Trafford saying "three years of excuses" suggesting fans didnt have to confidence of Ferguson. Would love nothing more then it to happen with Ole.
    Said in here about a month ago that I was enjoying watching United play more than I have in years, even though we are drawing and losing stupid games. At the start of the season I said it was going to be all over the shop with the age profile and thin nature of the squad. You can see lots of green shoots, Rashford, McT, AWB, Williams, Greenwood, Fred to an extent, James etc. And they all seem to be trying their hearts out, despite the results not being where we want. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Until we sign more players, we are going to have massive highs and massive lows all season.

Colchester quarter final in the mix between these league games hopefully that's a good chance to rest some players but also a must win game to keep morale and team dynamics going a nice run of wins in the games between now and New Year's day would be great to see

A bit of Momentum would be superb, offload Pogba in January (as hes a problem we have to address at some stage and hes not been missed in the big games) and maybe get one or two quality/solid (not necessarily world class) signings. If they could finish the season strong it would really bring some joy joy feelings going into next season. . . Id be thinking aswell, just payoff Sanchez or try and sell him for anything using the fee to get rid of him. It would actually feel like this was the season of getting all the poison out of the squad and maybe the are onto something with this squad harmony strategy.

Having gotten so close to Champions League Qualification we are within four points of fourth and a stuttering Chelsea, I really hope the board make funds available in January, that we can get a striker in from somewhere to augment our attack... pointless doing the hard work and not trying to further inject the talent to complete the job.

• Advertisement

Said in here about a month ago that I was enjoying watching United play more than I have in years, even though we are drawing and losing stupid games. At the start of the season I said it was going to be all over the shop with the age profile and thin nature of the squad. You can see lots of green shoots, Rashford, McT, AWB, Williams, Greenwood, Fred to an extent, James etc. And they all seem to be trying their hearts out, despite the results not being where we want. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Until we sign more players, we are going to have massive highs and massive lows all season.
    Having gotten so close to Champions League Qualification we are within four points of fourth and a stuttering Chelsea, I really hope the board make funds available in January, that we can get a striker in from somewhere to augment our attack... pointless doing the hard work and not trying to further inject the talent to complete the job.

This now is imperative, that the club stands up and gives Ole a proper shot at making this work. I hope they win every game to January which gives him even more authority to knock on Woodwards door. Of course its vital to get the right players with the right mentality and ones that fit in with this squad but I would say we still need a fair few additions so surely one of these in the world is attainable in January. No Sanchos or any big names would be just fine, I am thinking the Leicester type model (or Liverpool) where you sign hungry up and coming players .

This now is imperative, that the club stands up and gives Ole a proper shot at making this work. I hope they win every game to January which gives him even more authority to knock on Woodwards door. Of course its vital to get the right players with the right mentality and ones that fit in with this squad but I would say we still need a fair few additions so surely one of these in the world is attainable in January. No Sanchos or any big names would be just fine, I am thinking the Leicester type model (or Liverpool) where you sign hungry up and coming players .

Yes, also we need to appreciate how fortunate so far we’ve been with injuries. As the season goes on we need to expect to pick up a couple. It’s a thin squad, again in an attacking sense we loose a couple it’s going to hit hard and fast.

Yes, also we need to appreciate how fortunate so far we’ve been with injuries. As the season goes on we need to expect to pick up a couple. It’s a thin squad, again in an attacking sense we loose a couple it’s going to hit hard and fast.

United have the most games missed to injury of any team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Haven't always agreed with your views Drumpot but would with all of the above. This week was the First time in a few years that I actually made sure I didn't miss match of the day. Really impressed with the creativity on the counter attack.. always looking for the forward pass
    Pogba is finished at the club. We should cash in and invest the money in 2 or 3 players who would give a **** for the club.
    Was dreaming the same thing 're Mark Robins...this might be just the week things turned into something beautiful.
    Interesting to see Ole had Keano into the players to give them a talk...shows he is not above getting people around him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United have the most games missed to injury of any team this year.

I say we have been in Top 2 or 3 every season for past 5 years in this regard

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement