Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Irish Olympic boxer Michael Conlan from Belfast at Team Ireland Boxing London 2012 press conf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Tickets bought in advance, for the men's boxing semi's on August the 10th today. It was a choice between session 1 :
    Men's Light Fly Weight (49kg) Semifinals
    Men's Bantam Weight (56kg) Semifinals
    Men's Light Welter Weight (64kg) Semifinals
    Men's Middle Weight (75kg) Semifinals
    Men's Heavy Weight (91kg) Semifinals

or session 2 :
    Men's Fly Weight (52kg) Semifinals
    Men's Light Weight (60kg) Semifinals
    Men's Welter Weight (69kg) Semifinals
    Men's Light Heavy Weight (81kg) Semifinals
    Men's Super Heavy Weight (+91kg) Semifinals

After much contemplation and analysis, I decided to go with the maths. We have 3 boxers who could possibly be fighting in a semi on the first session, and 2 on the second.

Paddy Barnes, John Joe Nevin and Darren O Neil, hopefully one of these will get to a semi!
    Can't wait should be great

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

i just seen somewhere that the boxing draw is on tomorrow between 2-4. does anyone know if thats right ?

i just seen somewhere that the boxing draw is on tomorrow between 2-4. does anyone know if thats right ?

First I heard of this. I doubt it's true, as surely this would have gotten some media attenion, what with the draw having a huge say in a medal chance, and every man and his dog saying the boxers are our best medal hope:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

buyer95 wrote: »
    First I heard of this. I doubt it's true, as surely this would have gotten some media attenion, what with the draw having a huge say in a medal chance, and every man and his dog saying the boxers are our best medal hope:rolleyes:

In fairness they are our best hope.

As a tiny nation we rarely make an impact in any sport. The Euros this year are a prime example. We box pretty well, so it's one of the rare times we get to stand up and be counted, rather than be ashamed. Hopefully the boys (and girl) do us proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

In fairness they are our best hope.

As a tiny nation we rarely make an impact in any sport. The Euros this year are a prime example. We box pretty well, so it's one of the rare times we get to stand up and be counted, rather than be ashamed. Hopefully the boys (and girl) do us proud.

I don't think we need to worry about Katie doing us proud.

Syferus wrote: »
    I don't think we need to worry about Katie doing us proud.

She will indeed do us proud, but it irritates me that everyone thinks she's guaranteed a gold. There is absolutely nothing between herself and Ochigava in the head-to-head stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

When are the draws being made?

She will indeed do us proud, but it irritates me that everyone thinks she's guaranteed a gold. There is absolutely nothing between herself and Ochigava in the head-to-head stakes.

I didn't say she was a cert. Win or lose I don't see Katie giving any less than 100% for her country.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

the draw is on friday. It was on the gb boxing website where i saw that the draw was today between 2-4 but today they changed it. I did read on another website today that the general weigh in and draw is friday so that must be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

hoping for four medals coming home

hoping for four medals coming home

Sounds a bit optimistic, imo, Katie and John Joe, I would fancy both of them, after that maybe one more boxer, but it would be a great success if we won 4 medals

Sounds a bit optimistic, imo, Katie and John Joe, I would fancy both of them, after that maybe one more boxer, but it would be a great success if we won 4 medals

probably is but i think katie is a dead cert and i reckon at least 3 of the lads can bring something home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

probably is but i think katie is a dead cert and i reckon at least 3 of the lads can bring something home
    It all comes down to the draws,get a favorable draw and it really helps to get into a medal fight.

yabadabado wrote: »
    It all comes down to the draws,get a favorable draw and it really helps to get into a medal fight.

yes and hope we dont get a local boy. we all remember a few local decisions...

yes and hope we dont get a local boy. we all remember a few local decisions...

Beyond Brits, though, we're far more likely to get a fair shake in the judging in London. If not home advantage, neighbours' visitation rights.

Beyond Brits, though, we're far more likely to get a fair shake in the judging in London. If not home advantage, neighbours' visitation rights.

Oh yeah, G.B will be very likely to favour Ireland, the country which Britain only begrudgingly agreed to be permitted to leave the commonwealth! Plus the whole IRA, London bombings don't exactly lend themselves to any " neighbourly love " when scoring close fights either. And up until 97, Ireland constitution under article claimed ownership of all 32 counties in ireland " The national territory consist of the whole island of Ireland, its islands and the territoriak seas "

But forget all that, didn't Britain give us 10 points for Jedward in the Eurovision this year!:rolleyes:

wouldnt have thought so
    But forget all that, didn't Britain give us 10 points for Jedward in the Eurovision this year!:rolleyes:

that was apologetic because they were the ones who gave them their stage

Interesting piece in the Times about Barnes, highlight has to be " He is more humorously irreverent than blind whinger. " In reference to his often outspoken views on judges, scorers etc... After he lost a fight he felt was scored badly at the worlds " It was not difficult to see clearly what he was doing despite wearing boxing gloves. The light flyweight from Belfast was defiantly making a crude gesture with his right hand right in front of the three men sitting behind a table to the side of one of the rings.
    No fear, Barnes was eyeballing the trio of officials, who he had to walk past towards the exit, Irish team head coach Billy Walsh dutifully marching side by side with him.It wasn’t in Barnes’ nature to walk away from Trabzon without the judges knowing precisely what he thought of them, which was they were, all of them, w***ers."
    Great stuff! http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0724/1224320708530.html

Oh yeah, G.B will be very likely to favour Ireland, the country which Britain only begrudgingly agreed to be permitted to leave the commonwealth! Plus the whole IRA, London bombings don't exactly lend themselves to any " neighbourly love " when scoring close fights either. And up until 97, Ireland constitution under article claimed ownership of all 32 counties in ireland " The national territory consist of the whole island of Ireland, its islands and the territoriak seas "

Unless you expect the boxing arena to be flooded by body-painted soccer hooligans and the adjudicating to be done exclusively by the British National Party then I think you can put your mind at ease.

I'd really wonder if you've every even been to London - to say the Irish are well liked is an understatement. There is very, very little animosity in mainstream Britain towards Ireland.

• Advertisement

Interesting piece in the Times about Barnes, highlight has to be " He is more humorously irreverent than blind whinger. " In reference to his often outspoken views on judges, scorers etc... After he lost a fight he felt was scored badly at the worlds " It was not difficult to see clearly what he was doing despite wearing boxing gloves. The light flyweight from Belfast was defiantly making a crude gesture with his right hand right in front of the three men sitting behind a table to the side of one of the rings.
    No fear, Barnes was eyeballing the trio of officials, who he had to walk past towards the exit, Irish team head coach Billy Walsh dutifully marching side by side with him.It wasn’t in Barnes’ nature to walk away from Trabzon without the judges knowing precisely what he thought of them, which was they were, all of them, w***ers."
    Great stuff! http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0724/1224320708530.html

i know how he feels, been there!

Unless you expect the boxing arena to be flooded by body-painted soccer hooligans and the adjudicating to be done exclusively by the British National Party then I think you can put your mind at ease.

I'd really wonder if you've every even been to London - to say the Irish are well liked is an understatement. There is very, very little animosity in mainstream Britain towards Ireland.

Because for many generations many Irish have hated the English, these same Irish assume that the English hate them. In reality the English are barely aware of the dislike of these Irish towards them, and most English are even unaware that Ireland was once a colony. They simply don't care. It's a nice hobby for the anglophobes though, to hate the English. It passes the time much quicker while waiting for their dole or the next Celtic match.

Because for many generations many Irish have hated the English, these same Irish assume that the English hate them. In reality the English are barely aware of the dislike of these Irish towards them, and most English are even unaware that Ireland was once a colony. They simply don't care. It's a nice hobby for the anglophobes though, to hate the English. It passes the time much quicker while waiting for their dole or the next Celtic match.

Barely aware Ireland was once a colony. Come off it, surely when the IRA, was blowing up Hyde Park in the 80's, trying to assassinate Maggie in a Brighton hotel.During the IRA's twenty-five year campaign in England, 115 deaths and 2,134 injuries were reported, from a total of almost 500 attacks.

Do you think British people are really that absent-minded? Even The Queen and McGuinness shaking hands there last month was the main news item on BBC for 2 days, reminding us all, how this man had been the Comandeer of the Bogside IRA army, when Prince Phillip's uncle(?) Lord Mount Batten was blown up, and how brave and diplomatic an act this was on the part of The Queen.

Hmmm, I wonder who the ignorant one is here:rolleyes:

Guess what arrived via the Fedex today?!
    It feels so real now!:D
    snapshotbz.jpg

/URL]

Barely aware Ireland was once a colony. Come off it, surely when the IRA, was blowing up Hyde Park in the 80's, trying to assassinate Maggie in a Brighton hotel.During the IRA's twenty-five year campaign in England, 115 deaths and 2,134 injuries were reported, from a total of almost 500 attacks.

Do you think British people are really that absent-minded? Even The Queen and McGuinness shaking hands there last month was the main news item on BBC for 2 days, reminding us all, how this man had been the Comandeer of the Bogside IRA army, when Prince Phillip's uncle(?) Lord Mount Batten was blown up, and how brave and diplomatic an act this was on the part of The Queen.

Hmmm, I wonder who the ignorant one is here:rolleyes:
    All that malarkey was done by the northies though.

All that malarkey was done by the northies though.

True, I'm not in the mood for a big argument now though, I have officially come down with olympic fever!

Guess what arrived via the Fedex today?!
    It feels so real now!:D
    snapshotbz.jpg

/URL]

Reminds me of when I got my Klitschko vs Haye ticket. Exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Best of luck to all the Irish Boxing Team. We all know you'll do us proud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Draw started at 2pm....anyone know if its online anywhere? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

MBC wrote: »
    Draw started at 2pm....anyone know if its online anywhere? cheers

Katie seeded 1 and has to fight Natasha Jonas or Queen Underwood for a medal.

Advertisement