Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing retailers and sites

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

thermo wrote: »
    ok folks can we get back on track?
    See they do work! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

thermo wrote: »
    ok folks can we get back on track?

Agreed, more tip rubbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

@ Danin, I've nothing against the sitrep lads (I think you know that though) and I was using that thread as an example of certain threads being left open as others are closed (I think they should all be left open), I mean if boards are "thinking of the community" when making these decisions then money shouldn't come into it at all but as with our thread it was started by someone else not affiliated and as with us they make money (through advertisement but they still make money). There isn't much of a difference.

They are offering a well made magazine which we haven't got since Take Aim got sick of all the **** over here and split to the states.

We are offering the world's biggest indoor site. So both are of equal importance to Irish airsoft, sure the lads themselves emailed me asking about the place to do a review or whatever. I love the idea of thier mag, the way they are going about it is great and they deserve to make a bit of cash (just to make sure my opinion of the mag is clear there).

On a side note its funny how the_syco posts a passioned response against what I was saying and then thanks a post saying he wasen't interested. Either have an opinion or don't post dude. Shiva already explained my stand point on it so I'm not gonna bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

To be honest, you cant really attach the same advertising and profit production rules from boards to a free magazine... Its like me having my sniper serial, or tactics guide threads closed because they offer something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭The_ChiefDUB

@AirsoftReloaded Firstly, I'm very glad to hear that you liked our first issue. And I'm looking forward to hearing about the new site so we can report on it to our readers - and also to visiting it when it opens so we can give people a review and presumably encourage them to pay it a visit.
    Issue two will be out at the beginning of next week and even more work has gone in to this issue so we're very proud of it. We were also delighted with the great response in general to issue one.

I would like to point out one thing though for your own benefit and for the benefit of everyone reading this. No one is making any money at all from SitRep magazine. While we did not have any ads in issue 1 we have will have a couple in issue two. The money which will be made from these ads (and we are charging a nominal rate on these) will go directly back in to the production of the magazine. As I'm sure you can imagine, it costs quite a bit of money in software, photo licensing (for images that we are unable to source ourselves), web hosting etc. to do a job like this. Any extra money that we manage to raise on top of this will be put in to paying back some of our contributors for expenses and petrol costs incurred when they do reports for us, improving our web hosting options (our plan is to develop dedicated iPhone, iPad and Android apps - which will cost quite a bit), and in the future we would like to produce promotional materials like banners, t-shirts, caps etc.
    We had at first looked at the prospect of doing this as a commercial enterprise but with a number of years in the publishing business I am fully aware of what this would cost and what we might get in return. Honestly, I don't think there is anywhere near enough of an Irish market to make this a viable decision without having to also extend your publication to the UK at least. We wanted to keep the magazine purely focused on the Irish Airsoft community, based entirely on input from the Irish Airsoft community. For that reason we simply don't look at this as something to make money out of. We really are doing this purely for the love of the sport. Myself and the other lads involved have put many, many hours in to this now and the only reward that we have gotten or are hoping to get is the satisfaction of promoting a hobby which we really love.
    Back on topic though, we chose not to use a sponsored thread on Boards as we are using Facebook, Twitter and other means of promotion quite effectively and I don't think Boards would have benefited us much.
    We were surprised and gladdened to see a thread on the magazine pop up so quickly here when we first published. That quickly turned to wishing it hadn't appeared as the thread turned in to an argument about peoples' views on Take Aim magazine. A magazine which I don't feel we are in any way trying to compete with or better. I have always been impressed by Take Aim, we are simply doing something very different. Something which I hope the community will continue to get on board with and enjoy.

• Advertisement

@AirsoftReloaded Firstly, I'm very glad to hear that you liked our first issue. And I'm looking forward to hearing about the new site so we can report on it to our readers - and also to visiting it when it opens so we can give people a review and presumably encourage them to pay it a visit.
    Issue two will be out at the beginning of next week and even more work has gone in to this issue so we're very proud of it. We were also delighted with the great response in general to issue one.

I would like to point out one thing though for your own benefit and for the benefit of everyone reading this. No one is making any money at all from SitRep magazine. While we did not have any ads in issue 1 we have will have a couple in issue two. The money which will be made from these ads (and we are charging a nominal rate on these) will go directly back in to the production of the magazine. As I'm sure you can imagine, it costs quite a bit of money in software, photo licensing (for images that we are unable to source ourselves), web hosting etc. to do a job like this. Any extra money that we manage to raise on top of this will be put in to paying back some of our contributors for expenses and petrol costs incurred when they do reports for us, improving our web hosting options (our plan is to develop dedicated iPhone, iPad and Android apps - which will cost quite a bit), and in the future we would like to produce promotional materials like banners, t-shirts, caps etc.
    We had at first looked at the prospect of doing this as a commercial enterprise but with a number of years in the publishing business I am fully aware of what this would cost and what we might get in return. Honestly, I don't think there is anywhere near enough of an Irish market to make this a viable decision without having to also extend your publication to the UK at least. We wanted to keep the magazine purely focused on the Irish Airsoft community, based entirely on input from the Irish Airsoft community. For that reason we simply don't look at this as something to make money out of. We really are doing this purely for the love of the sport. Myself and the other lads involved have put many, many hours in to this now and the only reward that we have gotten or are hoping to get is the satisfaction of promoting a hobby which we really love.
    Back on topic though, we chose not to use a sponsored thread on Boards as we are using Facebook, Twitter and other means of promotion quite effectively and I don't think Boards would have benefited us much.
    We were surprised and gladdened to see a thread on the magazine pop up so quickly here when we first published. That quickly turned to wishing it hadn't appeared as the thread turned in to an argument about peoples' views on Take Aim magazine. A magazine which I don't feel we are in any way trying to compete with or better. We are simply doing something very different. Something which I hope the community will continue to get on board with and enjoy.

Dude I sincerely apolagise if I was incorrect in what I said, I do know how much it costs from discussions with others who have done something simular.

I completely understand your point with boards too and i'm sorry if I mentioned take aim out of place.

I also think you should have a thread for free (which is my point) but I'm not trying to excuse my mistake. I am very sorry if I was wrong and well done with the mag :o

On a side note have you got a price list for the ads put together yet?

Dude I sincerely apolagise if I was incorrect in what I said, I do know how much it costs from discussions with others who have done something simular.

I completely understand your point with boards too and i'm sorry if I mentioned take aim out of place too.

I also think you should have a thread for free (which is my point) but I'm not trying to excuse my mistake. I am very sorry if I was wrong and well done with the mag :o

Absolutely no need for an apology, I took no offense at your post at all. I just wanted to make sure people didn't think we were doing the magazine for commercial reasons when it really does come from a pure love of the game. Which I'm sure is how the many people who have been helping us out feel as well.

Absolutely no need for an apology, I took no offense at your post at all. I just wanted to make sure people didn't think we were doing the magazine for commercial reasons when it really does come from a pure love of the game. Which I'm sure is how the many people who have been helping us out feel as well.

Ofcourse but there would be nothing wrong with you making cahs so you don't have to explain yourslef and eh do you have a price list available?

To be honest, I think we would go mad trying to make money from it so it's best not to bother really. It's just very rewarding to be able to put my skills to use on a project that I really care about rather than one that is about making money for someone.

Theres nothing wrong with making a bit of cash while doing something you love doing and are good at but cool.

For those prices I can go to sitrepmagazine.com though yeah lol
    To be honest, I think we would go mad trying to make money from it so it's best not to bother really. It's just very rewarding to be able to put my skills to use on a project that I really care about rather than one that is about making money for someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement