Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do genealogists present findings?

• 21-09-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

Sorry for such a basic question. I have done some of my own research into my own family and I have tried to write my findings in the form of an essay, from earliest records to the modern day. Just wondering how do professional genealogists prevent their findings?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm not a professional myself but I'd go along with your idea of an essay.
    I think a good narrative combined with a chart or charts is the way to go.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I write a narrative report, which usually traces a branch at a time from modern times backwards, cross-referencing where necessary with other branches. I use footnotes and appendixes to show the relevant certificates. There is also a family tree produced using software. If it was a large tree, I might break it into branches so a section would fit neatly on an A4 page (nightmare!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

patsman07 wrote: »
    How do genealogists present findings?

With a large bill I’d expect! :D

I’m not a pro either but have done a lot of research on my surname family and a few other unrelated families. For my own, I too am using the narrative format, structuring the content myself, largely helped by using inputs from my genealogical software (Ancestry/FTM). However, I’ve started at the earliest and work forward, the opposite of Pinky’s method. It’s still very much a work in progress as I have discovered some really interesting people on my maternal side and have lots more to merge/cut/paste on other individuals.

I believe a timeline is very important for each couple of generations to put people/places/events into the correct perspective and understand what was happening in their era (e.g. pre1650, Cromwell, early 1700’s Penal Laws, 1798, Emancipation, Famine, Fenians, Gaelic Revival, Land Acts, War of Indep., roles in building the new State, etc.) A sort of family history overlaid on a social one.

I’ve started with the origins of my surname, its earliest mentions and am working forward. I have included distant relatives where their stories are interesting e.g. during the 1840’s Famine one branch was very wealthy, another was nearly wiped out (PLG father who brought home “famine fever”) and another disappeared from Ireland due to death/emigration. Some were politically active and get a bigger mention due to availability of source material, as are stories about particular properties and how they came into or left the family. Events/people/places like that sometimes merit a “chapter” of their own and others in the individual’s family are mentioned briefly (they are covered in the Descendant Report – see below)

For the actual tree, I’ve proof to the late 1700’s so in the eight generations from then a descendant chart containing name and BMD dates is a scroll 22 pages wide using 10pt print so there is no way I could fit any readable tree on a single sheet. I (my FTM programme!) break it down into chunks on A3 in PDF format, where the pages are linked by letters/page numbers (e.g. after individual on edge of page is “A” and “Go to A on page x”). I also have a linked “Descendant Report” that gives dates, data and family notes on all. This contains the GRO or Church BM references for each individual. I don’t bother including scans of that data.

At the back I’ve chapters on each of the overseas branches I’m aware of, linking them where possible to the original emigrant or simply stating “X is supposed to descend from Y, eldest son of the family who lived in Z townland and left following foreclosure on their property”.

I have not yet decided what to do with photographs – insert them in appropriate places or put them all together in an album annex.

I hate footnotes, I find them very distracting so I use end-notes, not per chapter but continuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 contrary

Not a professional either; I compiled a booklet (A4) with narrative, photographs, charts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

a combination of sections mentioned above - general background history, narrative of key people (e.g. direct ancestors) and families with some certs, photos, newspaper extracts, family stories, parish records inline, along with map extracts, and smaller trees - e.g. family groups. In the following section, details on every person with their certs etc, photos, larger maps and a stuck together tree.

A professional report I have from a number of years ago was for a specific search of parish records, and the report outlined the steps taken, along with the film number, and noted the dates checked and a transcription of each the records found. Following that was suggested next steps, such as earlier records, adjacent parishes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

shanew wrote: »
    a combination of sections mentioned above - general background history, narrative of key people (e.g. direct ancestors) and families with some certs, photos, newspaper extracts, family stories, parish records inline, QUOTE]
    I am another non-professional. I am putting together my family history mainly aimed at having something for family members to read, I don't expect it to be of much interest to outsiders. With this in mind, I am actually doing 2 versions - (a) a simple narrative starting from furthest back records and mentioning only key people or ones of particular interest - this can be read by people including children/young adults with no interest in genealogy and (b) a more detailed version with notes of all the sources and explanations of any assumptions/alternative theories and evidence behind then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I am another non-professional. I am putting together my family history mainly aimed at having something for family members to read, I don't expect it to be of much interest to outsiders.

I agree that not everyone in the family, if any, are interested in the family tree, but I wouldn't agree that your genealogy work is not of interest to outsiders. I think the National Library or your local county library would be interested in a copy. Your work could be very useful to someone from a far out branch of the family that you don't know about - your work could allow someone else to break down a brick wall.

Of course, putting the family tree on websites like Ancestry.com can also help to break down the brick walls - I have managed to fill in a few branches from information from other Ancestry.com family trees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Always be very careful when taking information from other people's trees - do your own research to make sure it's right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am my own genealogist. I did my research backwards, but I am writing the story forwards. My family are not interested either but I want to do it anyway. I may have to bequeath my research to the NLI if they would take it. Does the NLI have facilities to store ordinary people's family trees, either in paper or digital form? That would be nice, as anyone in the future if they were learning to be a genealogist would just have to go to the NLI and see what they have. I am not terribly interested in publishing on the internet for all to steal willy-nilly. My Ancestry tree is still private. I have seen my own family on other people's trees only to find the most stupid mistakes where they have resorted to assumption instead of looking for evidence. I think someone here ages ago recommended leaving trees to local history or genealogical societies which I wouldn't be interested in doing, as nobody in a hundred years would know which society had the tree or if the societies still existed. Future generations wouldn't know. The very saddest thing for me is that as yet we do not have grandchildren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Always be very careful when taking information from other people's trees - do your own research to make sure it's right.
    Agree totally - I've been able to correct other family trees because I had the sources.

At the same time, other far out cousins have contacted me because we shared a name on a tree and their information, backed up by sources was instrumental in helping me break down the proverbial brick wall.

Example, a great great aunt who was born 1852 in Irealand, and I could find nothing else about her. Someone contacted me on Ancestry to say she thought we shared that same woman - turns out the bould girl had married in England, aged 15 and had ten children, and millions of grandchildren, one of whom was related to my Ancestry connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm still thinking my way towards the best way, and my supposition is that it is most likely to be a website (password-protected) or on CDROM using hyper-links.

I write mini-biographies of family members whose stories interest me and share them through a private group on Facebook.

Very recently I was asked to do a family history presentation at a family event. I'm wise enough to know that you can't talk to people for too long, and that you should avoid information overload. So I limited my piece to a 50-year window that was defined by two key events. I used a presentation program to put some facts on screen, and relieved the wordiness with some early family photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Just to add my two cents..
    Am not a professional myself..only on my ancestors ;)
    I think you have to keep it interesting and factual and above all I think it needs to tell a story. After all that's what we are doing,telling someones life story through what we've discovered.Hopefully during the process it might spur other family members to chip in.

I'm in the process of writing a family history book using my Alexanders mycanvas.Have found it great to work with and importing images,adding embellishments zooming in on census forms etc just makes so easy on the eye.Nearly had a heart attack when Ancestry said they were retiring it last year only for mycanvas to take it on.

Im just doing one section of my ancestors, their emmigration post famine and subsequent return from. Argentina. I think its good to concentrate on a branch or event and flesh it out with images newspaper articles and have your facts to back it up. And enjoy the process. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

The Kurgan wrote: »
    keep it interesting and factual and above all I think it needs to tell a story.

There can be a conflict between telling a good interesting story and keeping things factual. How do you strike the balance? Should you bore the reader by continually saying "it seems likely that.." or "an alternative explanation could be ..."? Or do you just aim for a free flowing narrative of what seems the most likely story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There can be a conflict between telling a good interesting story and keeping things factual. How do you strike the balance? Should you bore the reader by continually saying "it seems likely that.." or "an alternative explanation could be ..."? Or do you just aim for a free flowing narrative of what seems the most likely story
    I don't find a difficulty with that. I fully agree that it is important to be faithful to the verifiable facts, but I don't find it a problem to use cautious language when I try to find the narrative that makes a story of the catalogue of facts.

I think that most people are not distracted from the narrative by the use of expressions like "it looks as if..." or "my interpretation is...", and they can be drawn in to the story-making with questions like "why do you think she did that?".

Advertisement