Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing retailers and sites

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Poccington wrote: »
    With posts containing tripe such as this:

I'm gonna go right ahead and say the problems in the Airsoft forum are a lot more than solely Mod based.

If members feel a Mod needs to be taken to task over the job their doing, go to Feedback with it. Admins will look at it and if there's a genuine issue, it will be dealt with.

The quote above isn't tripe, it's actually true. If you've got evidence otherwise, I'd love to see it. I visit airsoft retailers and sites and interact and see a lot of people in airsoft. I do know what I'm talking about. If I choose to be colourful in how I say it, you don't get to barge in and be all OMG IMPOLITE AND THEREFORE WRONG.

As for 'Open a Feedback thread and it'll be dealt with" - No it won't. I've been told numerous times on feedback threads that issues will be 'dealt with', and when I eventually tried to follow up on the 'dealing with', I was told in no uncertain terms that my options were to wait out a ban or go **** myself.

Which is fair enough, feedback threads being moderator circlejerks where cmods and admins jump in and turn on the crocodile tears about how they do this FOR FREE and it is SO HARD. Which is a cop-out, just like 'take it to feedback'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

interested_lol_cat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

Personally we stopped posting in the paid forum about a year ago, well, when it became paid. Having €360 a year going out on a page that got maybe 3-5 posts a week was pointless; we have a massive customer base now and very few even post on Boards any more. We also have enough costs as it is.

Not to say that forum should not be paid, it just wasn't worth it for us. Our email inbox is full every day, if people want quick answers then what better way to contact a company directly than to email them or phone, with boards it was a very roundabout way of doing business and very few questions/requests actually turn into a sale, it was just a waste of time really. Its nice to speak with customers and answer questions sure, but its quicker, easier, more cost effective and productive to do business directly. And its free. :)

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

Personally we stopped posting in the paid forum about a year ago, well, when it became paid. Having €360 a year going out on a page that got maybe 3-5 posts a week was pointless; we have a massive customer base now and very few even post on Boards any more. We also have enough costs as it is.

Not to say that forum should not be paid, it just wasn't worth it for us. Our email inbox is full every day, if people want quick answers then what better way to contact a company directly than to email them or phone, with boards it was a very roundabout way of doing business and very few questions/requests actually turn into a sale, it was just a waste of time really. Its nice to speak with customers and answer questions sure, but its quicker, easier, more cost effective and productive to do business directly. And its free. :)

Steve
    Nice advert! You pay for this:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

how is that an advert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Firekitten wrote: »
    how is that an advert?

AirsoftEire was posting about a retailer :pac:

And this is the point where things havce gone too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

God what have I started now!
    Will a retraction do or is blood necessary!

reprieve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Firekitten wrote: »
    And this is the point where things havce gone too far.

THERE-IS-A-POINT-WHERE-THIS-NEEDS-TO-STOP-AND-WEVE-CLEARLY-PASSED-IT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I think its high time we locked this thread so we can start a new thread bitching about excessive thread locking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I'm fairly sure i've seen this type of thread before just with a different title. Everyone comes in, post's amazing ideas, everyone rubs tips together, Mods promise change, more tip rubbing. Then nothing happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

there was a point two pages back that it actually felt a bit like a community (the slagging over multicam and magpul) but what I will say is that I am newish enough to this site and I mainly use the private adverts here and if it wasnt for the retailers section I wouldnt have known about them even though I have usually gone to them direct but there is that personal touch of using boards and actually talking to people about stuff, which is the way it apparently used to be and ive never experienced.
    Now on that hand I may be a noob in your eyes but I am by any means not young in life and its experiences so when I say these things I actually hope that they are actually read for the words that they are and not the poster but these days we have to very careful about every single typed letter phrase or comment that is put to this internet.
    people love to qoute other people here but if we all wanted to say what we want anywhere there would be all out war. As it is in any community there will always be cliques, alliances and and enemies.
    So what I will say I am sad to hear that retailers are leaving this forum as I dont like using facebook anyway as its turning into .... dare I say it .... BEBO:eek::eek: and at least here I can talk about a hobby I enjoy with people who enjoy it also.
    thats my 2cents anyway

That spirit can return... too many people thought 'ugh this is ****' and left, or stopped entering into that spirit. Only we hold it back... its not like theres two or three users left, and its dead... boards airsoft has plenty of traffic.... Why don't we bother to do something? I asked this before, but we don't seem to want to address it. Why can't we return to that spirit?

As for slagging multicam, if that is apparently required to return the community spirit... I can happily engage in some spamcam slagging?

believe me fk im not saying its dead but there is newer posters here who arent mentioned aswell and as with all things they evolve.People say such and such left its not the same and Ive said that about people i have worked with and there has always been new people come in to fill that void.
    Now Im not saying push out the older posters but I am saying as a community open up more and leave people in and join in the craic and if new people join up then they need new kit so they go to retailers and sites, Kind of a knock on effect,
    Now as for Multicam, I was a great believer in Brit DPM for many years but i do think that multicam is its replacement, I can remember a conversation many years ago over Irish DPM and Brit DPM and why he thought it was better solely because its ours but it depends on the environment so on that point I would say thumbs up to Multicam and Burn that marpat crap even the marines themselves hate it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    ...Now as for Multicam, I was a great believer in Brit DPM for many years but i do think that multicam is its replacement...

th_funny-pictures-kitten-kicks-you-out.jpg

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    Now as for Multicam, I was a great believer in Brit DPM for many years but i do think that multicam is its replacement, I can remember a conversation many years ago over Irish DPM and Brit DPM and why he thought it was better solely because its ours but it depends on the environment so on that point I would say thumbs up to Multicam and Burn that marpat crap even the marines themselves hate it!!!
    What richie said... get out :P

British DPM is great. Multicam is great for Afganistan because of changing terrain types, its practical... otherwise its meh.

Anyway our replacement is mtp.. its very different and totally NOT multicam! *denial*

As for hating marpat... I thought the marines liked it? it works great? the two patterns are rather effective, the US army do hate UTP though maybe got the two confused?
    Multicam works in fewer terrain patterns than standard cam.

*errects thread diverted sign*

Do we need to start a new thread to hash this out or what??;);)
    pistols at dawn?
    ya the army hate the acu but the marines are getting rid of theres aswell but i will admit defeat if I am wrong as it is 2nd hand information.

As its the only camo the us forces have that vaguely matches the environment, id be suprised if they hated it.

A new thread? **** it, lets start up another spamcam debate! huzzar!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

ok folks can we get back on track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

All of the funniest people and the most knowledgeable people have left already sure. Other than the retailers and gun fixers (but sure they'll leave too if everyone keeps going).

I think most of us still post here out of habit, I know I'm active in a couple of other sections so its not boards itself, it has to be the mods of the airsoft section (funny enough the same thing everyone always said it was)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056210929

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056210929&page=2

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056245938

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056238835

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056207960

Theres a few that we're allowed to stay open (notice that mods have posted in some of them) and thats fine but how come only certain sites/people are allowed to do that and some are not?

I hope the people that opened these threads or own these sites understand that i'm just trying to make a point and have no problem with them or the fact that their threads were left open (kudos infact) but http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283868 how is it fair when one of our old customers was asking a question just like in the other threads mentioned thier old (and current customers in most cases) customers were asking questions or straight up advertising them and the one mentioning us got closed?

Brian I'd just like to point out a few things here, I'm in full agreement with you with regards to certain Threads being closed down and others being left open, this is something I first highlighted in a very open manner here on boards and the thread also encompassed the serious discrepancies in the moderation of the entire forum and highlighted the facts of certain posters being unaware of their posts being deleted or altered by mods.

all the Tigerland threads where the first to be closed months ago with no explanation to the general readership on boards or a pm to me which in turn gave the impression we had done something wrong but through PMs from mods we were told we hadn't, that it was just a new direction boards was taking at the time. From that point on we are still waiting on confirmation on our status after untold amounts of PMs with no answers a year later.

But

One thing I don't agree with is you highlighted a thread regarding Sitrep Magazine. This thread was started by an Airsofter with no affiliation to the mag and might I add that it is a free publication dedicated to the Irish Airsoft Community published by people who give up their time and hard work for free so therefore it is completely non commercial and therefore you are contradicting yourself by highlighting it because you've just done what you yourself are not happy about others doing to your "customer"

I have to say I'm guilty of being one of those people who does not post here anymore although I still visit the forum, the reason being is because for a long time after I highlighted the above I found I couldn't say anything on boards without upsetting someone and started to second guess myself, pluss i found every new thread that had seemed to have a bit of promise seemed to either diminish into pedantic bickering or it would be closed.

As for the retailers and sites leaving boards well all I can say is throwing a blind eye to a problem doesn't make it go away and these current events didnt happen over night, I'm sure the retails & sites in question have their valid reasons for closing their accounts, but in some way as a community we have ourselves to blame as IMO this forum has not been utilised in the right way for some time now weather it be the way it's moderated or the lack of follow through on changes by the powers that be or simply the content we as a community contribute.

thermo wrote: »
    See they do work! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

thermo wrote: »

Agreed, more tip rubbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

@ Danin, I've nothing against the sitrep lads (I think you know that though) and I was using that thread as an example of certain threads being left open as others are closed (I think they should all be left open), I mean if boards are "thinking of the community" when making these decisions then money shouldn't come into it at all but as with our thread it was started by someone else not affiliated and as with us they make money (through advertisement but they still make money). There isn't much of a difference.

They are offering a well made magazine which we haven't got since Take Aim got sick of all the **** over here and split to the states.

We are offering the world's biggest indoor site. So both are of equal importance to Irish airsoft, sure the lads themselves emailed me asking about the place to do a review or whatever. I love the idea of thier mag, the way they are going about it is great and they deserve to make a bit of cash (just to make sure my opinion of the mag is clear there).

On a side note its funny how the_syco posts a passioned response against what I was saying and then thanks a post saying he wasen't interested. Either have an opinion or don't post dude. Shiva already explained my stand point on it so I'm not gonna bother.

To be honest, you cant really attach the same advertising and profit production rules from boards to a free magazine... Its like me having my sniper serial, or tactics guide threads closed because they offer something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭The_ChiefDUB

@AirsoftReloaded Firstly, I'm very glad to hear that you liked our first issue. And I'm looking forward to hearing about the new site so we can report on it to our readers - and also to visiting it when it opens so we can give people a review and presumably encourage them to pay it a visit.
    Issue two will be out at the beginning of next week and even more work has gone in to this issue so we're very proud of it. We were also delighted with the great response in general to issue one.

I would like to point out one thing though for your own benefit and for the benefit of everyone reading this. No one is making any money at all from SitRep magazine. While we did not have any ads in issue 1 we have will have a couple in issue two. The money which will be made from these ads (and we are charging a nominal rate on these) will go directly back in to the production of the magazine. As I'm sure you can imagine, it costs quite a bit of money in software, photo licensing (for images that we are unable to source ourselves), web hosting etc. to do a job like this. Any extra money that we manage to raise on top of this will be put in to paying back some of our contributors for expenses and petrol costs incurred when they do reports for us, improving our web hosting options (our plan is to develop dedicated iPhone, iPad and Android apps - which will cost quite a bit), and in the future we would like to produce promotional materials like banners, t-shirts, caps etc.
    We had at first looked at the prospect of doing this as a commercial enterprise but with a number of years in the publishing business I am fully aware of what this would cost and what we might get in return. Honestly, I don't think there is anywhere near enough of an Irish market to make this a viable decision without having to also extend your publication to the UK at least. We wanted to keep the magazine purely focused on the Irish Airsoft community, based entirely on input from the Irish Airsoft community. For that reason we simply don't look at this as something to make money out of. We really are doing this purely for the love of the sport. Myself and the other lads involved have put many, many hours in to this now and the only reward that we have gotten or are hoping to get is the satisfaction of promoting a hobby which we really love.
    Back on topic though, we chose not to use a sponsored thread on Boards as we are using Facebook, Twitter and other means of promotion quite effectively and I don't think Boards would have benefited us much.
    We were surprised and gladdened to see a thread on the magazine pop up so quickly here when we first published. That quickly turned to wishing it hadn't appeared as the thread turned in to an argument about peoples' views on Take Aim magazine. A magazine which I don't feel we are in any way trying to compete with or better. I have always been impressed by Take Aim, we are simply doing something very different. Something which I hope the community will continue to get on board with and enjoy.

• Advertisement

@AirsoftReloaded Firstly, I'm very glad to hear that you liked our first issue. And I'm looking forward to hearing about the new site so we can report on it to our readers - and also to visiting it when it opens so we can give people a review and presumably encourage them to pay it a visit.
    Issue two will be out at the beginning of next week and even more work has gone in to this issue so we're very proud of it. We were also delighted with the great response in general to issue one.

I would like to point out one thing though for your own benefit and for the benefit of everyone reading this. No one is making any money at all from SitRep magazine. While we did not have any ads in issue 1 we have will have a couple in issue two. The money which will be made from these ads (and we are charging a nominal rate on these) will go directly back in to the production of the magazine. As I'm sure you can imagine, it costs quite a bit of money in software, photo licensing (for images that we are unable to source ourselves), web hosting etc. to do a job like this. Any extra money that we manage to raise on top of this will be put in to paying back some of our contributors for expenses and petrol costs incurred when they do reports for us, improving our web hosting options (our plan is to develop dedicated iPhone, iPad and Android apps - which will cost quite a bit), and in the future we would like to produce promotional materials like banners, t-shirts, caps etc.
    We had at first looked at the prospect of doing this as a commercial enterprise but with a number of years in the publishing business I am fully aware of what this would cost and what we might get in return. Honestly, I don't think there is anywhere near enough of an Irish market to make this a viable decision without having to also extend your publication to the UK at least. We wanted to keep the magazine purely focused on the Irish Airsoft community, based entirely on input from the Irish Airsoft community. For that reason we simply don't look at this as something to make money out of. We really are doing this purely for the love of the sport. Myself and the other lads involved have put many, many hours in to this now and the only reward that we have gotten or are hoping to get is the satisfaction of promoting a hobby which we really love.
    Back on topic though, we chose not to use a sponsored thread on Boards as we are using Facebook, Twitter and other means of promotion quite effectively and I don't think Boards would have benefited us much.
    We were surprised and gladdened to see a thread on the magazine pop up so quickly here when we first published. That quickly turned to wishing it hadn't appeared as the thread turned in to an argument about peoples' views on Take Aim magazine. A magazine which I don't feel we are in any way trying to compete with or better. We are simply doing something very different. Something which I hope the community will continue to get on board with and enjoy.

Dude I sincerely apolagise if I was incorrect in what I said, I do know how much it costs from discussions with others who have done something simular.

I completely understand your point with boards too and i'm sorry if I mentioned take aim out of place.

I also think you should have a thread for free (which is my point) but I'm not trying to excuse my mistake. I am very sorry if I was wrong and well done with the mag :o

On a side note have you got a price list for the ads put together yet?

Dude I sincerely apolagise if I was incorrect in what I said, I do know how much it costs from discussions with others who have done something simular.

I completely understand your point with boards too and i'm sorry if I mentioned take aim out of place too.

I also think you should have a thread for free (which is my point) but I'm not trying to excuse my mistake. I am very sorry if I was wrong and well done with the mag :o

Absolutely no need for an apology, I took no offense at your post at all. I just wanted to make sure people didn't think we were doing the magazine for commercial reasons when it really does come from a pure love of the game. Which I'm sure is how the many people who have been helping us out feel as well.

Absolutely no need for an apology, I took no offense at your post at all. I just wanted to make sure people didn't think we were doing the magazine for commercial reasons when it really does come from a pure love of the game. Which I'm sure is how the many people who have been helping us out feel as well.

Ofcourse but there would be nothing wrong with you making cahs so you don't have to explain yourslef and eh do you have a price list available?

To be honest, I think we would go mad trying to make money from it so it's best not to bother really. It's just very rewarding to be able to put my skills to use on a project that I really care about rather than one that is about making money for someone.

Theres nothing wrong with making a bit of cash while doing something you love doing and are good at but cool.

For those prices I can go to sitrepmagazine.com though yeah lol
    To be honest, I think we would go mad trying to make money from it so it's best not to bother really. It's just very rewarding to be able to put my skills to use on a project that I really care about rather than one that is about making money for someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement