Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place to buy fresh fruit & veg?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit tired of the fruit & veg in the supermarkets. They seem to be past their best when they go on sale and might have been sitting in freezers for a month or more, losing some of their nutritional value before appearing on the shelves.

Apart from the Milk Market on Sat. mornings, is there a good supplier of fresh produce in town anywhere?

Market on Sat morning is ok but if parking nearby isn't available, it's a nuisance hauling bags of spuds & veg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Theres Richardsons just off the Dublin Road dont know about there fruit but got 2 bags of potatoes off them there about month ago and they werent the best but they always seem to be busy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

O'Neill's at the top of William Street is the only fruit and veg shop that I can think of off the top of my head. They always have a fairly good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Pick of the crop in Kileely are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

sioda wrote: »
    Pick of the crop in Kileely are excellent

Very reasonably priced too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

the butchers on Parnell st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭893bet

Shop in Foxboro shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a fresh fruit and veg shop at Roxboro SC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

tippman1 wrote: »
    I'm a bit tired of the fruit & veg in the supermarkets. They seem to be past their best when they go on sale and might have been sitting in freezers for a month or more, losing some of their nutritional value before appearing on the shelves.

I used to think like that but I am not as sure any more. I saw a programme once where Brussels sprouts picked in Ipswich today for example will be on the shelves in Tescos in Southampton in the morning.

It really doesn't pay Tesco to leave stuff in fridges, costing money to cool and store, I believe supermarkets are getting so scientific, if its cheaper to send it straight from field to the shelf without storing it then they will.

As for the local fruit and veg shop, just as much chance of their produce sitting around for weeks unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I get stuff at Richardsons most weeks and have never had a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Theres Richardsons just off the Dublin Road dont know about there fruit but got 2 bags of potatoes off them there about month ago and they werent the best but they always seem to be busy in there.

is it possible to buy in small quantities in there? individual items?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

is it possible to buy in small quantities in there? individual items?

Yeah I'm nearly sure you can they have mulit buys offers for bulk but can buy small amounts as we'll.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

I've generally been happy with the fresh fruits & veggies I get at Dunnes (Harveys Quay), but I also started getting delivery from greenearthorganics.ie and have been really happy with the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

You might be interested in checking this place out. It's a community co-op grocery. I haven't been there myself yet, but I recognise the names of some of the farmers who are supplying it, and they're well known producers of top quality organic fruit and veg.

http://www.limerickcommunitygrocery.com/

Advertisement