Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2020, 11:58   #1
cdgalwegian

Freaks (2019)

Mentioned here before; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...&postcount=535

I'd add that it's in the same stable as Brightburn/Hancock/Chronicle in the 'subversion of standard superpowers genre' sub-genre. Came across it by accident, and I gotta admit, I was contemplating turning it off around the 20 minute mark; it was initally sluggish, and overly concerned with keeping the reveals to a drip-feed. However, once it overcame this inertia, it snowballed to a pretty good ending.
It's a low-budget affair that starts of as a drama that becomes an all-out fantasy actioner by the end, fueled by really good ideas, where all the acting is commendable, but the star- 7 year old Lexy Kolker- is fantastic.
If you liked the Brightburn/Hancock/Chronicle style, you should love this.
Advertisement
04-01-2020, 13:30   #2
Homelander

Really good film, best watched knowing every little about it - as mentioned above it's a little confusing at first but it really gathers pace towards the end as everything falls into place. I think it primarily works so well because the girl is such a tremendous and believable actor.

Don't want to say too much about it as talking about the general plot spoils some of the later reveals, but definitely worth a watch if you like indie sci-fi films.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion