Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaming Historian

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tchoin

Have you guys been watching? What do you think of what's coming for 2016? I'm looking forward to the different styles Norm will add to the show (interviews and such).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tchoin wrote: »
    Have you guys been watching? What do you think of what's coming for 2016? I'm looking forward to the different styles Norm will add to the show (interviews and such).

Been adding his vids to my watch later list, gonna binge watch over the summer when college is finished (same for SSFF)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Bit late to the party on this one. Just found TGH on YouTube earlier. Reminds me of the guy that does the voice on the wonder years. Very interesting vids all the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

I really like his videos! Very well researched, academic and entertaining.

My favourite episode of his is the one on the "Creation of the ESRB".

He made it so interesting I even went and watched the entire '93 Senate Hearing. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Inviere

One of my favorite YT'ers, always puts out top class material. Kim Justice and Norm kinda are out on their own imo when it comes to this type of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wish these videos were longer. it's the kind of channel that I find and binge through their uploads. I know he probably doesn't want long and boring dragged out videos but I feel like the topics are interesting enough :)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I wish these videos were longer. it's the kind of channel that I find and binge through their uploads. I know he probably doesn't want long and boring dragged out videos but I feel like the topics are interesting enough :)

I definitely think he could pull off the longer videos if he wanted to. I'd be all for it as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

It's more of a cost / time thing really. I don't think most people realise how much work is required in researching and editing videos like these.

Research, writing script and footage acquisition is about 3 to 5 hours per minute of videos.
    For editing alone, count 1:30 to 3 hours of editing per minute of final video.

So all in all, for a 10 min video you end up with 45 to 80 hours of work. that's between 6 and 10 full days 8 hours of work ... i'm actually being super conservative here because you need to add sound and color correction and final mastering. It's a TON of work, even for a simple videos.

Since it's his full time job now, he needs to make minimum wage per video and on longer videos he simply wouldn't be able to reach that. I think he's also got a researcher and someone making the drawings for him that he needs to pay.

LGR had the same issues a while back, that's why he's outputting a lot of shorter or far less researched videos nowadays. Same with Retromancave or the Nostalgia Nerd who slowly are moving away from those "history of " type of content to more casual, unscripted stuff. It's an inevitable consequence of going full time into youtube and realising you have to suddenly account for your minimum wage / hour salary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd much rather the well researched videos than the utter garbage quick fix videos like Did You Know Gaming. Latest one about the Saturn is out with lots of incorrect facts such as Sega adding a second processor to try and compete with the Playstation which has been confirmed as complete nonsense.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd much rather the well researched videos than the utter garbage quick fix videos like Did You Know Gaming. Latest one about the Saturn is out with lots of incorrect facts such as Sega adding a second processor to try and compete with the Playstation which has been confirmed as complete nonsense.

You get what you pay for & youtube is free content. You should never take a single video at face value anyway.
    If you like specific creators, you should support their work actively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

His 'Tetris' video is the best one he's ever done, and all of his are very good anyway. Some amount of research went in to that one.

it was amazing yeah. watched it a few times at this point.
    But I talked to him about it a while back and he essentially lost money making this one although he'd admit it brought and still is bringing a lot of subscribers to his channel

Corholio wrote: »
    His 'Tetris' video is the best one he's ever done, and all of his are very good anyway. Some amount of research went in to that one.

I think I read before he's an actual historian, and loves research etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watched his Mario 2 one.

Everyone knows about Mario 2 and what went on.

Still managed to learn a thing or two about it and very impressed with how factually correct it was. The guy has talent.

Now with a video on the history of Spyro The Dragon.

Amazing stuff as always!

^^ watched it there, brilliant as always. Having never played any of the Spyro games, I kinda 'get' the hype around it now after the video put it in context for me

Advertisement