Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a shared lease.

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Myself and two other workmates are renting an apartment in Dublin. I have yet to sign the lease, but we have forked over a sizeable deposit. It is 12 month lease. (We are moving in August 1st).

The only thing is, I may be leaving my job (and Dublin) in 3 months time. What is the worst thing that can happen to me? I've made my friends aware that this is a possibility. Is the worst thing that could happen is that we all just lose our deposits, or could we be made pay out the remainder of the lease?

Also, how difficult is it to get someone to take the room from you? Great apartment, D2/D4 area, parking, €450p/m, box room.

We are renting from an agency, rather than a landlord, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If the lease is joint and several (like mine was) you might be still responsible for the rent even after you move unless your housemates cover for you as you are all equally responsible. The deposit can also be held until all tenants vacate (so you might be waiting a while). If you can find someone to replace you, then you should be ok.

Advertisement