Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My HyperSpin Barcade Build

• 03-06-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

:rolleyes:

Hi all,

Long time...

I've have two weeks that will be hospital free so I'm finally getting around to cutting the wood for my barcade. I've a load of systems setup on the PC now. Over 30. It's looking pretty good. A first world problem I know but my issue now is what systems to fill the remaining space with. There are a few systems I've never played that I've on there already (like the AEE etc.) but I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Can anyone suggest anything I'm missing that would lend itself to arcade style controls / hyperspin?

Are pinball games worth setting up? And if so will standard buttons work as the flippers with another designated button as the ball release.. I could mount buttons on the side of the barcade as I've seen others doing.

It will be a two player setup... Should I go all out and give each player eight buttons each or will 6 suffice?

That's pretty much it... I have 750ish gb of space available to me and intend to setup the Atari lynx, Atari st and game gear over the next few days and maybe the Saturn (all thanks to simply austin tutorials) but here's what I have on it so far.

AEE
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Arcade Classics (Mame)
    Capcom CSP 1, 2, 3
    Commodore 64
    GTA PS2 Wheel
    MSX2
    PC Engine
    N64
    N64DD
    NES
    FDS
    GameBoy, Color, Advance
    3DO
    GameCube
    Dreamcast
    MegaDrive
    Master System
    32x
    Naomi
    Hikaru
    M2
    Playstation
    PSP
    PSP Mini
    SNES
    BSX
    Sufami Turbo
    Zinc

And more (just listing them as I think of them)

Thanks guys

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Would love to see pics as you go along!!

I have a raspberry pi 3 set up with retro pie but I don't have an barcade build, it's just in its compact shell.. Are you going to include light gun games, that's what I'd love for mine but would need a barcade for it

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Would love to see pics as you go along!!

I have a raspberry pi 3 set up with retro pie but I don't have an barcade build, it's just in its compact shell.. Are you going to include light gun games, that's what I'd love for mine but would need a barcade for it

Not much to show so far. The PC build is still in the corner of my room and this is as far as i've gotten with the cutting of the wood. Im going to change the "console" part as i want to put t molding along that to tie it into the rest. I have decals bought for the side and another for the marque. The plan is to drill and fit everything. Take it apart. spray it. put on all the decals. maybe buy a decal for around the monitor depending how it looks and then tmold it. i have an access hatch at the back and the console part with the buttons and joysticks will be accessible via the front because ive made it fully hingeable outwards so i can mess with the buttons controls etc if necessary. Even with the larger base Ive included itll be pretty cramped with the pc im using

re light gun games.... I bought a sensor bar the same as the one you use with the wii that connects directly to the pc via usb. Im going to try that out with "shooters" and the wii mote. If its good enough im going to try and take the wii controls from the wiimote and fit them into a childrens toy gun. Its might work. It might be a terrible idea. Il have to test it and see, If im not happy with it ill abandon the idea altogether.

I paper mached a locker unit for going under the barcade and that should be dry later. It it is ill put it in position and take a pic of the finished product.

Al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Interesting screen size, look forward to more pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Not much to show so far. The PC build is still in the corner of my room and this is as far as i've gotten with the cutting of the wood. Im going to change the "console" part as i want to put t molding along that to tie it into the rest. I have decals bought for the side and another for the marque. The plan is to drill and fit everything. Take it apart. spray it. put on all the decals. maybe buy a decal for around the monitor depending how it looks and then tmold it. i have an access hatch at the back and the console part with the buttons and joysticks will be accessible via the front because ive made it fully hingeable outwards so i can mess with the buttons controls etc if necessary. Even with the larger base Ive included itll be pretty cramped with the pc im using

re light gun games.... I bought a sensor bar the same as the one you use with the wii that connects directly to the pc via usb. Im going to try that out with "shooters" and the wii mote. If its good enough im going to try and take the wii controls from the wiimote and fit them into a childrens toy gun. Its might work. It might be a terrible idea. Il have to test it and see, If im not happy with it ill abandon the idea altogether.

I paper mached a locker unit for going under the barcade and that should be dry later. It it is ill put it in position and take a pic of the finished product.

Al

looking good so far, very interest to see how you get on, hopefully it isnt too much hassle for you and the light guns work, would love to have time crisis, point blank, house of the dead etc all running well on one of these with accurate light guns, something like this fella has below.

will be looking at options for setting up the pi 3 with the aimtrak guns eventually, just a bit too expensive for me at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-5zHwanB4

eddhorse wrote: »
    Interesting screen size, look forward to more pics.

It's a widescreen LCD. I've the chamfer cut to the size of the screen and not the TV itsel. I'll have the TV set to display / store mode so it will be always on and I won't need the remote to turn it on and off. It and the PC will be set to turn on when power is applied like a "real" arcade machine.

The unit it dry so I'll upload a picture in a while.

• Advertisement

This was originally an oak colored bedside locker that was sitting unused in our spare room. It was the perfect size for the remaining space I had in my "office" but as the rest of the furniture is white it looked out of place. I decided to paint it. My Swedish desk and storage units are also white and made the painted locker look out of place and well... homemade. My solution... photocopy and print out lots of stuff i had myself and stuff I acquired from friends and paper mache the freshly painted unit. the drawers are patents for nes products and the rest ranges from a signed mario 3 cartoon script, pages from distributor only books, nintendo fun club news atricles... to pages from the jc penneys Christmas catalogue from 1990. I'm happy how it turned out. The wood sitting on top is actually the base for the arcade machine i was testing for size as this will be the base and a handy way to gain more storage below my barcade and should hopefully bring it up to full standing height!

Advertisement