Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zelda Snes Conundrum.

• 07-10-2016 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi there guys hoping someone can shine some light on this little problem.
    Bought a bundle of snes games and 4 out of the 5 games would not load.
    So i cleaned the contacts of all games and opened up and cleaned out the consoles.
    Tried the 4 games again and the same thing none of the four games would work,
    so I took out two other consoles cleaned them and retested them and still the same nothing working.
    Here is what was happening,
    1) Zelda would load to the nintendo logo then play a second of sound then freeze (same on all 3 consoles)
    2) Zombies would not load at all no logo nothing(same on all 3 consoles)
    3) Ghoul Patrol would not load at all no logo nothing (same on all 3 consoles)
    4) Street fighter 2 would load the 1st logo then 1-2 secs of sound then freeze (same on all 3 consoles)

Any one have any ideas as to what is wrong as i'm stumped.

Thanks In advance
    Gary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Maybe the game backup battery needs replacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bad battery wouldn't cause the game to freeze(sf2 has no battery), all it would do is not save correctly.

If the games were dirty they would generally just display a black screen, are you using an original power supply with your snes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

I tried 1 original and 2 3rd party, games were given a thorough clean with isopropyl alcohol and cotton bud, took off a bit of dirt but left them spotless and cartridge slots in the 3 different consoles were clean aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Strange, you could pick up these to inspect the pcbs to make sure nothing funny is going on(assuming other games work fine). Would make cleaning much easier also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Game-Security-3-8mm-4-5mm/dp/B005C6KP1G

Can't think of anything else

I have a game bit and opened all carts up also checked ones with batteries for corrosion and checked for broken trace or some such but no all looked perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The power supply, is it original or a generic multi-volt jobie?

Three psu's were used one original and 2 3rd party ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any chance they're import games? If you were trying to run Japanese games on a stock PAL console you can run into issues like this due to the region lockout.

1st thing i checked, got them from a trusted seller on adverts, I sent them back and he has tested them on his system and sent me pictures showing them working.

So i am very puzzled as to the problem, could it be i have 3 faulty consoles even tho all my other games run 1st time on all 3 or is it that i just didn't clean them enough (unlikely but could happen i suppose)

Master of the Universe

Chances of you having three faulty consoles are slim to none when it comes to the Super Nintendo, they really are very hardy. Unless they were all stored in a damp area together and then shorted something when turned on. But you said one of the games runs fine so that's not the issue.

The likelihood of having that many games with booting issues is also unlikely and would usually be indicative of the console being at fault. I've about 100 -150 snes carts and none of them have given boot issues after a good clean. Plus your ones apparently boot okay in the seller's console.

So then the power supply would be the only thing left really, as you said you've only the one official one and two third party ones.

Are the third party one specifically made for the Super Nintendo or are they generic ones you bought in a shop?

I wonder is it possible that your official power supply is broken and the two 3rd party ones aren't compatible with the console?

edit - but then you did say your other games worked fine with them.

Hmmm. Get the rubbing alcohol out again :)

• Advertisement

One console came with a 3rd party plug and another i bought awhile back off of ebay and have had no problem with it, the original plug i have only had for around 1 month but there were no problems what so ever loading or playing games up until trying those 4 carts.

Games are on there way back to me so i will retest and see what happens, and if they all work then i wont ask any more questions.

I'l also keep en eye out for a good deal on original psu's and stay away from generic ones just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I would try cleaning the contacts on the games again.Sometimes ipa just isnt enough.A pencil eraser or some of that brasso wadding first then a lint free cloth with some ipa,usually does the trick.If your other games work fine in the three consoles it must be the new games.

Master of the Universe

Yeah those crumbly type erasers really do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Peek metal cleaner is what I always use for mine. Cotton bud and a dollop of it does the trick, as the guys said a deeper clean may work.

Can this be closed please got it sorted ages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭eddhorse

What fixed it?

Got desperate and tried brasso then cleaned the contacts with alcohol wipes, worked a treat but wouldn't do it again as I don't know if it could have any damaging effects on the pins or not

Advertisement