Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Cork

Options
  • 15-11-2020 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Broadband speeds have reduced considerably recently. Service is down at the moment and generally it's just shocking. Anyone else notice significant issues recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

More people wfh id say is causing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

rebs23 wrote: »
    Broadband speeds have reduced considerably recently. Service is down at the moment and generally it's just shocking. Anyone else notice significant issues recently?

Yes it’s up n down

Been brutal past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

My sky broadband has been gone for a few hours tonight. I'm in the Shandon area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pulling over 50Mb/s this morning via Eir fibre. It was running 95Mb/s back at the start of May. Definitely more people connecting. The technicians were round last week about running cabling for fibre-to-the-router, as part of general network upgrades in the area, so that'll be nice when done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

jimgoose wrote: »
    Pulling over 50Mb/s this morning via Eir fibre. It was running 95Mb/s back at the start of May. Definitely more people connecting. The technicians were round last week about running cabling for fibre-to-the-router, as part of general network upgrades in the area, so that'll be nice when done.
    I live close enough to the City Centre and can only get 7Mb/s max! Was getting 30 but now I can't even get a connection. Got connected recently to a different provider which lasted less than 3 weeks and now gone since the weekend, it's shocking. SIRO is available in some spots locally but not others.
    I'm pulling my hair out, can't work from home now, no TV streaming, no PS4 for the teenagers.....It's just such an essential service but broadband is simply not available in this part of Cork City. I know first world problems but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I live close enough to the City Centre and can only get 7Mb/s max! Was getting 30 but now I can't even get a connection. Got connected recently to a different provider which lasted less than 3 weeks and now gone since the weekend, it's shocking. SIRO is available in some spots locally but not others.
    I'm pulling my hair out, can't work from home now, no TV streaming, no PS4 for the teenagers.....It's just such an essential service but broadband is simply not available in this part of Cork City. I know first world problems but still.

I see. I'm in a quiet corner of Bishopstown, where presumably there isn't quite that density of demand. And you're right, first world problem or not, it is an essential utility these days in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I switched to GoMo with a 4G wifi router for broadband from VM almost a year ago now, don't think it's ever gone down. Speeds vary (in Shandon) from 10Mb to 60Mb but normally around 25Mb or so. Experimented with a 48 SIM as well but it wasn't anywhere near as consistent as it got dog slow at times.

I don't stream stuff so the 120Gb limit (before throttling) works fine for me but obviously wouldn't suit everyone, well worth it though to save €50/month.

Im in the northside get about 60mb/s with eir fibre to the cabinet.

ofcork wrote: »
    Im in the northside get about 60mb/s with eir fibre to the cabinet.

I’m in Carrigaline VF siro , speeds up to 650 but down to feck all at times ,of late

• Advertisement

Just signed up to Virgin after realising there is the old multi-channel cable installation in the house. Mortified I didn't know this earlier. Then checking the cable and someone cut/shredded it out the back so they will have to re-install it. The contrast between dealing with Virgin and Vodafone/Eir/Sky is night and day. Whatsapp connection service, box delivered within 24 hours, top class service. Hopefully the installation will be of the same standard but it might be worth checking if you're having trouble with the other providers to check if you can get their system installed as Virgin effectively have their own network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Am with virgin now too. Not bad. A couple of dropouts most evenings. Glasheen area.

What I couldn't understand is years ago I had eircom broadband. Moved and cancelled and when I moved back to the same house 15 years later was told by eircom that broadband wasn't available at the address ??

So went with virgin. Bit pricey (70 odd a month, BB and phone) should look at changing my plan. Don't need huge fast speeds.

Normally ~200 mbps on Virgin n Bishopstown
    (Speed test on phone via Wi-Fi)

Usually rock solid except for last week, out for 2 days, wonder were they fixing something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

experiencing internet outages lately with Vodafone. To be honest I'm fairly sick of them at this stage. Absolute nightmare to get in contact with (Passage area)

experiencing internet outages lately with Vodafone. To be honest I'm fairly sick of them at this stage. Absolute nightmare to get in contact with (Passage area)
    Completely gave up with Vodafone. Had their broadband for 2 weeks before I was cut off for no reasons. I literally spent a day on the phone between different people in their call centre, got them to cancel my order eventually so I could go with another provider.
    Nearly as bad as Eir.

Completely gave up with Vodafone. Had their broadband for 2 weeks before I was cut off for no reasons. I literally spent a day on the phone between different people in their call centre, got them to cancel my order eventually so I could go with another provider.
    Nearly as bad as Eir.

well, I've been with them for a few years now and up to last November 2019, it was all fairly good, to be honest. However, since then things have gone downhill. It's impossible to get in contact with a person and their 'network crew' are a joke when it comes to working on an issue.
    I'd switch to Virgin but they don't seem to be available in my area.

Heckler wrote: »
    Am with virgin now too. Not bad. A couple of dropouts most evenings. Glasheen area.

What I couldn't understand is years ago I had eircom broadband. Moved and cancelled and when I moved back to the same house 15 years later was told by eircom that broadband wasn't available at the address ??

So went with virgin. Bit pricey (70 odd a month, BB and phone) should look at changing my plan. Don't need huge fast speeds.

Buddy in Sheares park has no issues ref VM

well, I've been with them for a few years now and up to last November 2019, it was all fairly good, to be honest. However, since then things have gone downhill. It's impossible to get in contact with a person and their 'network crew' are a joke when it comes to working on an issue.
    Twitter/ always answer fairly quickly, and if they don’t tweet publicly as I did to get attention, worked
    PS yes vodaphone have gone down a bit alright

Twitter bud, if not replying within a few hours tweet publicly outlining your frustration over no interaction etc, they WILL respond

Twitter/ always answer fairly quickly, and if they don’t tweet publicly as I did to get attention, worked

• Advertisement

Serious problems in the Carrigaline/ passage areas for a long time,so bad last year we lost service during the Christmas period, got free broadband for 3 months as issues were ongoing, actually contacted SIRO themselves and captured their admission ( screenshots)to ongoing problems in the Carrigaline area despite VF customer care denying it

Worked in Romania years ago ( aid) for 12 years over n back a few times a year so was well used to comparing their speeds with ours( Internet) on really rural areas we were well behind even then , a country with basic infrastructure was light years ahead of us

Heckler wrote: »

Buddy in Sheares park has no issues ref VM

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

There are a few choices.

VDSL/DSL - Copper telephone line.
    Eir(Com) own the cables but other providers will supply like Voda/Sky etc. but at the end of the day you are on Eir copper and the distance from your local telephone exchange will determine what speed you get.

Fibre to the Home - FTTH - SIRO which is ESB/Vodafone do this install, normally only where VM are not installed.
    You then decide from a list of providers - max speed 1GB

VM - Virgin Media - (Princess Holdings/Cork Multi Channel/UPC)
    Their own Co-Ax TV network - speeds up to 1GB advertised
    (If you can get the cable installed)

Radio Network - Nova Broadband etc.
    They send a signal (over shared radio frequencies) to an antenna on your house.
    Speeds can vary

3G/4G router
    essentially if you can get speeds on your mobile then you can buy/install one of these which will give you
    'midband' - better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

With virgin and apart from losing connection for a few seconds at a time about 5 o clock , it's been good. Out of contract soon and units they give a good deal, thinking of switching to sky ( mainly for the tv package). We have fibre apparently , is sky broadband reliable these days? Working from home so need it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

65535 wrote: »
    There are a few choices.

VDSL/DSL - Copper telephone line.
    Eir(Com) own the cables but other providers will supply like Voda/Sky etc. but at the end of the day you are on Eir copper and the distance from your local telephone exchange will determine what speed you get.

Fibre to the Home - FTTH - SIRO which is ESB/Vodafone do this install, normally only where VM are not installed.
    You then decide from a list of providers - max speed 1GB

VM - Virgin Media - (Princess Holdings/Cork Multi Channel/UPC)
    Their own Co-Ax TV network - speeds up to 1GB advertised
    (If you can get the cable installed)

Radio Network - Nova Broadband etc.
    They send a signal (over shared radio frequencies) to an antenna on your house.
    Speeds can vary

3G/4G router
    essentially if you can get speeds on your mobile then you can buy/install one of these which will give you
    'midband' - better than nothing.

Don't forget Eir FTTH which is like siro and usually available in places outside a town and not served by siro or VM

I think with copper it depends how far from the cabinet you are too.

seefin wrote: »
    With virgin and apart from losing connection for a few seconds at a time about 5 o clock , it's been good. Out of contract soon and units they give a good deal, thinking of switching to sky ( mainly for the tv package). We have fibre apparently , is sky broadband reliable these days? Working from home so need it to be

Brother has sky in Bishopstown ( ****e)

• Advertisement

Twitter bud, if not replying within a few hours tweet publicly outlining your frustration over no interaction etc, they WILL respond

I did contact them via DM on Twitter and yes, they replied to me fairly promptly. However, their response was a token "we are looking into the issue" and then a few hours later I received a text from them with an issue ID for reference. Jump forward 2 days later and I receive another text saying they are still looking into the issue and further investigation is required. This is their form, I've had an identical experience last year, they pretend to act promptly but over time the texts stop coming and there's no closure on the original issue they raised.

I even asked them on Twitter to tell me what the actual problem is but I heard nothing back. I honestly feel they are doing nothing and have no idea about the problem, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Advertisement