Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-alcholic, sugar free cans of beer in Cork city ?

Options
  • 06-11-2020 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Bit of a long shot. But does anyone know where I can get 0.0%, sugar free beer in Cork city.

Ever since I gave up the booze a few months ago I've been drinking lots of 0.0%'s. Worried about the effects all that sugar is having on my body.

Bradley's on North Main Street sell some 0.0%, sugar free, but it's in bottles and they're quite expensive.

Tesco sell 0.0% cans for 0.54€ each. But there's 10 grams of sugar in each one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot. But does anyone know where I can get 0.0%, sugar free beer in Cork city.

Ever since I gave up the booze a few months ago I've been drinking lots of 0.0%'s. Worried about the effects all that sugar is having on my body.

Bradley's on North Main Street sell some 0.0%, sugar free, but it's in bottles and they're quite expensive.

Do you mean with no added, refined sugar or do you mean with no sugars?

Very few beers have added sugar.
    I can't see any beers not having any "sugars" in them.
    Beer is made, by converting starches in malted barley into sugars and fermenting them - whether alcoholic or no alcoholic, there will always be residual sugars.

I'm not sure what you are looking for actually exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The beer making process converts barley starches into a range of sugars, with the most complex sugars (like maltotriose and maltodextrin) surviving into the finished beer, while all the simpler ones get fermented into alcohol.

One way of making 0.0% (or 0.5%) beer is to make a regular beer and vacuum evaporate the alcohol away, so this style will leave all those complex sugars behind.

But they wont have table sugar/sucrose added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RINO87

Not cans, but the Perlenabcher 0.0 from Lidl is quite nice, 1.4g of Sugar per 100ml so 4.62g in a 330ml bottle, is as cheap as they come at around 3.50 for 6.

The Baltika 0% I find to be the best of the bunch tho - O'Donovans usually have it. Not sure of sugar content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

There are several transmitters of taste: alcohol, sugar and fat.
    Without alcohol, taste is transported by sugar instead. Fat in beer makes no sense.
    Closest you will get is brewdog nanny state.

https://steadydrinker.com/articles/calories-in-alcohol-free-beer/

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Harika wrote: »
    There are several transmitters of taste: alcohol, sugar and fat.
    Without alcohol, taste is transported by sugar instead.

This isn't how taste works, and the article you link doesn't go into further detail about the point you were trying to make.

• Advertisement

sharingan wrote: »
    This isn't how taste works, and the article you link doesn't go into further detail about the point you were trying to make.

That's from a different article and the details are not important here, the article is most interesting for the different beers with sugar alcohols. Nanny brewstate you definitely get in town

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Thanks guys.

There is this beer for sale in Bradley's... 0 sugar.

I only drink 500ml unfortunately...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

RINO87 wrote: »
    Not cans, but the Perlenabcher 0.0 from Lidl is quite nice, 1.4g of Sugar per 100ml so 4.62g in a 330ml bottle, is as cheap as they come at around 3.50 for 6.

The Baltika 0% I find to be the best of the bunch tho - O'Donovans usually have it. Not sure of sugar content.

Never knew Lidl sold 00 thanks

RINO87 wrote: »

Beck blue is gorgeous and not sweet in anyway but the nearest I’ve gotten to anything like alcohol since I stopped drinking years ago( worth a try)

Never knew Lidl sold 00 thanks

They also do alcohol free Weiss beer and an IPA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

Is there much sugar in the 0.0% beer? The label on Heineken Zero says 70 kcal per bottle. By contrast, the same volume of Coca Cola is 220 kcal.

Slightly off topic perhaps but a few of the brands mentioned above are not alcohol free. This ability to call it “alcohol free” if it is <= 0.5% is being abused. Depending on your reason for giving up alcohol, that level could be problematic.

Just to be clear, I’m not having a go at the posters who mentioned those brands! Just having a bit of a rant against the drinks industry.

cantalach wrote: »
    Is there much sugar in the 0.0% beer? The label on Heineken Zero says 70 kcal per bottle. By contrast, the same volume of Coca Cola is 220 kcal.

Yeah tons.

Anywhere between 10-20 grams per 500 ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Yeah tons.

Anywhere between 10-20 grams per 500 ml.

Heineken zero has 6.5g sugar per 500ml. Best of luck in your search but looking for beer without alcohol and an artificially low sugar content makes me wonder the purpose of drinking beer at all, but to each their own.

Heineken zero has 6.5g sugar per 500ml.

Yes, nutritional label attached. This works out at 4.29g sugar in a standard 330ml bottle. At very small weights, it’s easier for people to relate to teaspoons. 4.29g is almost exactly 1tsp sugar (4.23g). That’s not tons.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Yes, nutritional label attached. This works out at 4.29g sugar in a standard 330ml bottle. At very small weights, it’s easier for people to relate to teaspoons. 4.29g is almost exactly 1tsp sugar (4.23g). That’s not tons.

Yep, agreed. I understand everyone has their motives and all, and there are different types of sugar and all that, but a whole 6 pack of Heineken Zeros has roughly the same amount of sugar as a large red apple.

Also, if it’s weight gain/loss the op is worried about, sugar level is irrelevant, all that matters is the calories (albeit the two are likely closely linked in quantum per beer)

Slightly off topic perhaps but a few of the brands mentioned above are not alcohol free. This ability to call it “alcohol free” if it is <= 0.5% is being abused. Depending on your reason for giving up alcohol, that level could be problematic.

Just to be clear, I’m not having a go at the posters who mentioned those brands! Just having a bit of a rant against the drinks industry.

Correct - the "No IPA" in Lidl is 0.5% with about 11.8 grams of sugar per 330ml
    The alcohol free weissbier doenst say what alcohol content it is but sugar is 13.5g per 500ml bottle.

Looking at all this it seems the Perlenbacher Pils 0.0 has the lowest sugar content (and is the nicest IMO)!

https://steadydrinker.com/ handy resource for low/no-alcohol beers. I still enjoy "real" beers, but given the choice I would take an alcohol free beer any day over a soft drink, always have a bunch in the fridge.

Beck blue is gorgeous and not sweet in anyway but the nearest I’ve gotten to anything like alcohol since I stopped drinking years ago( worth a try)

Thanks corks finest. I've switched to becks blue :-)

I agree that this is misleading but they still have less alcohol in it than orange juice. https://lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/rhc/page30.html#:~:text=In%20reality%2C%20there%20is%20more,can%20be%20less%20than%20this.
    Tbh don't know the effect this low amount has on recovering alcoholics. Still in the worst case, you need to drink 8 pints of non alcoholic beer to get the effect of one alcoholic one. Consumed at the same time frame as the alcoholic one.
    What annoys me is that I can't buy non alcoholic beer before 10:30

I agree that this is misleading but they still have less alcohol in it than orange juice. https://lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/rhc/page30.html#:~:text=In%20reality%2C%20there%20is%20more,can%20be%20less%20than%20this.
    Tbh don't know the effect this low amount has on recovering alcoholics. Still in the worst case, you need to drink 8 pints of non alcoholic beer to get the effect of one alcoholic one. Consumed at the same time frame as the alcoholic one.

Yes, I read an article 15+ years ago about how much alcohol was in a bottle of M&S fresh squeezed OJ five days after opening. I forget the exact numbers measured at the time but the advice was that it was high enough for recovering alcoholics to avoid it.

Re opening hours, one of my kids works in a supermarket, and they require age ID to purchase Heineken Zero. Apparently the rationale is so as not to normalise consumption of beer, regardless of whether it is leaded or unleaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Re opening hours, one of my kids works in a supermarket, and they require age ID to purchase Heineken Zero. Apparently the rationale is so as not to normalise consumption of beer, regardless of whether it is leaded or unleaded.

I'm fairly sure that these policies are self imposed and not the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Sounds like you should try tap water...

Thanks corks finest. I've switched to becks blue :-)

I have it once in a while and each time it’s good , preferably watching a comedy with my 17 year old or a match, down time

Sounds like you should try tap water...

Yeah probably. I was never a hard drinker. But I drink way more non-alcoholics than I did beers.

Something about a cold beer in the afternoon gets me excited. Plus with covid and everything I think its good to treat yourself.

Can't believe that bars in cork charge 6€ for a bottle of 0.0%. Rip off.

Yeah apparently in prison they put a mixture of fruit juices next to a radiator for a few days and get drunk on the fermented sugars/alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Many soft drinks and fruit juices contain trace levels of alcohol, and they are not required to disclose the alcohol content at all. Especially those which use fermented fruit juice like Cidona and Fentimans Curiosity Cola are likely to have something closer to 0.5%.

Many soft drinks and fruit juices contain trace levels of alcohol, and they are not required to disclose the alcohol content at all. Especially those which use fermented fruit juice like Cidona and Fentimans Curiosity Cola are likely to have something closer to 0.5%.

Yes, agreed, and this was discussed already above. But at least Cidona and Fentiman’s don’t have “Alcohol Free” written across the front or market themselves by pretending to be something they’re not.

Tried the Becks Blue over the weekend. Really liked it! And only half the kcal of the HZ. Unfortunately though, herself found it a bit hoppy so we’re gone back to the HZ. One small complaint about the Becks is the tiny bottle: just 275ml vs the usual 330ml.

Tried the Becks Blue over the weekend. Really liked it! And only half the kcal of the HZ. Unfortunately though, herself found it a bit hoppy so we’re gone back to the HZ. One small complaint about the Becks is the tiny bottle: just 275ml vs the usual 330ml.

Yeah bottle small but if ice cold it lasts a bit had a bottle of Peroni. 00 at the weekend; nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Advertisement