Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

RobK is one of our most important players.
    Who would you play at 15?

We will beat Scotland with our pack and halves.

With Ringrose fit and likely to play 13 I suspect it will be Larmour who slots in. I think if Ringrose was unavailable or not selected we might have seen Carbery there.

Eitherway, the beating of Scotland will be done up front and unless Scotland have found form and learned to deliver away from home it could be a hiding, with or without Kearney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If the atrocious weather that is predicted comes then Kearney wouldve been in his element. However if it means one less game for him to get through unscathed before the quarters its not the end of the world. Assuming this knock is not serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It won’t be a hiding!
    Playing someone other than Kearney is now a weak point in the defensive cohesion, the loss for his aerial excellence and a target for the opposition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It won’t be a hiding!
    Playing someone other than Kearney is now a weak point in the defensive cohesion, the loss for his aerial excellence and a target for the opposition.

Conway is known for his ability in the air. Kearney is a bloody good player, but he's not unreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conway is known for his ability in the air. Kearney is a bloody good player, but he's not unreplaceable.

With the way Ireland defend, Kearney is absolutely irreplaceable.

We should still be ok as I expect our pack will out match Scotland's, but if there's parity and Scotland get quick ball there'll be trouble. Nobody covers fullback as well as Kearney.

Fair point on Conway aerial skills.
    I think the only player with enough minutes in the FB jersey for Ireland is Larmour. The other is at home walking a dog or something.

As much as I think the loss of Henshaw is minor; when you consider our strength in depth at centre, Kearney would be serious blow.
    Fatal to our chances v Scotland? No. But it’s most definitely detrimental.

EDIT: Not Roy Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Larmour is ahead of Conway at FB, whether people agree with it or not, seems pretty clear from previous selections.

AdamD wrote: »
    Larmour is ahead of Conway at FB, whether people agree with it or not, seems pretty clear from previous selections.

But then the likes of Cronin not even making the previous Six Nations squad throws a spanner in the works

AdamD wrote: »

Conway hasn't been playing FB for Munster at all really either, Mike Haley has in all their biggest games. I think the best educated guess we can make is Larmour to start at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Looks like we'll be naming something like:

Healy Best Furlong
    Henderson Ryan
    POM Stander VDF

Murray Sexton
    Aki Ringrose
    Stockdale Larmour Conway

Cronin, Kilcoyne, Porter, Beirne, Conan, McGrath, Carbery, Farrell

The back 3 would be a defensive concern, but also bring a lot to broken field attack. Would the team with the second worst defensive record in the 6Ns really want to risk kicking to them?

A slight dent to our chances but we should still be favourites with that 1-10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

By all account Larmour seems to be the chosen back up for Kearney.

Unless Joe wants to throw a real spanner. Stick Ringrose on wing, Conway at 15 and bring Farrell into the centre. Then have Larmour on the bench :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It won’t be a hiding!

Ya, I'd agree with Cookiemunster, Conway is as good as Kearney in the air and is probably a better counter-attacker. But Conway has played very few minutes at FB last season, so I'd expect Larmour to start if Kearney is out for the Scotland game.

I did a quick bit of number-crunching from this article, for anyone interested in that type of thing. It's based on the minutes played in this RWC cycle (only for players in the squad), % of total and % more than next in line.

Player | Minutes| % time| % more
    Murray| 2298 | 85% | 71%
    VdF| 948 | 74% | 62%
    Sexton| 1819 | 73% | 54%
    Healy| 1377 | 72% | 47%
    Kearney| 1726 | 69% | 53%

Top 5 above; unsurprisingly, Murray and Sexton pretty high up, Kearney 4th overall for % more minutes than his replacement (in this case Larmour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Where you seeing this?

Apologies I should have specified. Was posting on the sly at work so had to keep it brief. It was Ruadhri O’Connor in the Indo that I first saw with it.

Larmour at FB gives me the fear. He was all over the shop under the high ball against Argentina when we played him there. If it’s as wet as promised I’d imagine Scotland will bombard him.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Apologies I should have specified. Was posting on the sly at work so had to keep it brief. It was Ruadhri O’Connor in the Indo that I first saw with it.

Larmour at FB gives me the fear. He was all over the shop under the high ball against Argentina when we played him there. If it’s as wet as promised I’d imagine Scotland will bombard him.

Which was a game 12 months ago. Also his first cap at international 15 and the whole team that evening hadn't got the eye on the ball.....the wingers gave him zero support.

He played 15 against Italy and had no issues with the high ball.

aloooof wrote: »
    Player | Minutes| % time| % more
    Murray| 2298 | 85% | 71%
    VdF| 948 | 74% | 62%
    Sexton| 1819 | 73% | 54%
    Healy| 1377 | 72% | 47%
    Kearney| 1726 | 69% | 53%

Top 5 above; unsurprisingly, Murray and Sexton pretty high up, Kearney 4th overall for % more minutes than his replacement (in this case Larmour).

Nice Stats.
    I feel we missed a trick at FB in the WC plan. Injuries to Addison obviously didnt help.
    I'd bite the bullet on Robbie and get Addison over now. Give Kearney every chance to recover. if its minor.....who the hell knows anymore?
    Cant have this situation before a quarter final or beyond.

Btw Who is the back-up to VdF here. POM? Edit: just read its POM

Nice Stats.
    I feel we missed a trick at FB in the WC plan. Injuries to Addison obviously didnt help.
    I'd bite the bullet on Robbie and get Addison over now. Give Kearney every chance to recover. if its minor.....who the hell knows anymore?
    Cant have this situation before a quarter final or beyond.

Btw Who is the back-up to VdF here. POM? Edit: just read its POM

Well if required POM, Ruddock, Stander, Conan have all got a few mins at 7....all assisted by Nordiif required

Why would you dump Henshaw for a game against Scotland? at the end of the day the point is to win a Qtr, a game Henshaw will be required for

We will beat Scotland with our pack and halves.

With Ringrose fit and likely to play 13 I suspect it will be Larmour who slots in. I think if Ringrose was unavailable or not selected we might have seen Carbery there.

Eitherway, the beating of Scotland will be done up front and unless Scotland have found form and learned to deliver away from home it could be a hiding, with or without Kearney.

i also think that will be the winning of the game for Ireland. Butttt.....
    With the rain and free for all that will ensue at the breakdown with Barnes "in control" (ive said it!) im expecting a blood bath at the breakdown.
    They know exactly how we are going to try and beat them. Scotland are going to have Hamish Watson and Barclay all over the ball.
    https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/461093

Ireland by less less than a score. In a low scoring game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

With Earls and Kearney out I'd rather see Conway at 15 and Lamour on the wing.

I know Lamour has more minutes at 15 and if it was just Kearney out I'd have him there, but if himself and Conway are both required to start I would prefer Conway at 15 because I think he a better defensive full back, more in the mould of Kearney than Lamour is.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    With Earls and Kearney out I'd rather see Conway at 15 and Lamour on the wing.

I know Lamour has more minutes at 15 and if it was just Kearney out I'd have him there, but if himself and Conway are both required to start I would prefer Conway at 15 because I think he a better defensive full back, more in the mould of Kearney than Lamour is.

It is simple, if Kearney is out then the wingers don't play as high and drop back to assist the fullback. Even if Larmour or Conway is playing 15 they need to change the style to assist the fullback.

In the Argentina match the wingers played like Kearney was 15 and gave no assistance to Larmour, if I remember in the second half they finally did drop back and they made a complete mess of a high ball.....

We have some of te best catchers of the ball, why we have such a huge concern with one player out.....Conway is incredible in air, Larmour is good and getting better. Stockdale is a big lad as well and good in air....he has played 15 before.....

So all our wingers have played 15 at one stage in career. It would be different if we had a pile of players who never played before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t think it makes too much of a difference but think carty could be on the bench at the weekend from the way he was talking in his interview. Wouldn’t be surprised to see carbery get an extra week to recover and then possibly start the next three games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Don’t think it makes too much of a difference but think carty could be on the bench at the weekend from the way he was talking in his interview. Wouldn’t be surprised to see carbery get an extra week to recover and then possibly start the next three games

Carry might be more used to torrential weather conditions from the Sportsground.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Based on the report that Carbery is in training, but Earls and Henshaw are not,

I'd see a backline of:
    Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Conway, Kearney.
    Bench: McGrath, Carbery, Larmour.

Farrell could also start at 13 and Ringrose to bench instead of Larmour, but I'd see that as less likely.
    Or perhaps next best would be Farrell instead of Larmour on the bench, with Ringrose to cover any back three injuries.

Just as well we brought 4 centres though, Henshaw is a loss but we have enough to cover his absence even with Earls also being out.

If Kearney is also out I would put Larmour at fullback and put Farrell on the bench.
    If Carbery isn’t fully fit then Carty on the bench instead.
    If Ringrose isn’t on form in training could swap Farrell in at 13 and drop Ringrose to the bench, but who knows how training is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Although he hasn't had many mins at FB I would start Conway over larmour. Larmour still makes me nervous at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

If carbery was fit chuck him in at 15. Would love to see Sexton and carbery on the pitch together. Conway on the wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Although he hasn't had many mins at FB I would start Conway over larmour. Larmour still makes me nervous at international level.

Me too. So I would play him for Scotland. If there are any serious worries over Kearndog, Conway would be my first choice to deputise, and so should be held back.
    We have reasonable depth in the squad, and almost any one, and at a pinch two, first choices absent can be coped with. But not 3 or 4. A team with Farrel, Larmour, Conway, and Addison on the bench, is going nowhere. We arent at that stage yet. But with two doubts, the other primes must be shielded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It is simple, if Kearney is out then the wingers don't play as high and drop back to assist the fullback. Even if Larmour or Conway is playing 15 they need to change the style to assist the fullback.

In the Argentina match the wingers played like Kearney was 15 and gave no assistance to Larmour, if I remember in the second half they finally did drop back and they made a complete mess of a high ball.....

We have some of te best catchers of the ball, why we have such a huge concern with one player out.....Conway is incredible in air, Larmour is good and getting better. Stockdale is a big lad as well and good in air....he has played 15 before.....

So all our wingers have played 15 at one stage in career. It would be different if we had a pile of players who never played before

By his own admission, in an article I read recently, Conway didn’t think he was too hot in the air to begin with but worked away at it. I’m a big fan of his. Don’t think he has had a proper consistent chance to prove himself there yet. Seemed like for a while he might have been the obvious replacement for Kearney but then fell away a bit. But then Kearney has commanded that position for so long now. Even when Kearney had been written off by some and looked like his best was behind him a season or two back, he put in some great performances to show that he’s still No. 1 at 15.

I expect we might see great things from Conway in this WC if he gets a chance. Also feel the same about Ruddock. Kilcoyne already has form going into this and think Henshaw if injury abates could make a big impact again.

COYBIJ

By his own admission, in an article I read recently, Conway didn’t think he was too hot in the air to begin with but worked away at it. I’m a big fan of his. Don’t think he has had a proper consistent chance to prove himself there yet. Seemed like for a while he might have been the obvious replacement for Kearney but then fell away a bit. But then Kearney has commanded that position for so long now. Even when Kearney had been written off by some and looked like his best was behind him a season or two back, he put in some great performances to show that he’s still No. 1 at 15.

I expect we might see great things from Conway in this WC if he gets a chance. Also feel the same about Ruddock. Kilcoyne already has form going into this and think Henshaw if injury abates could make a big impact again.

COYBIJ

Conway has had bad luck with injuries....a number of times coming up to international window he was in great form and then would get an injury

If Kearney is also out I would put Larmour at fullback and put Farrell on the bench.
    If Carbery isn’t fully fit then Carty on the bench instead.
    If Ringrose isn’t on form in training could swap Farrell in at 13 and drop Ringrose to the bench, but who knows how training is going.

There is allot of if's with these injuries..
    IF Carbery, Henshaw, Earls & Kearney are all unavailable, we only have Farrell left! Which would be mad as they're only just off the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

There is allot of if's with these injuries..
    IF Carbery, Henshaw, Earls & Kearney are all unavailable, we only have Farrell left! Which would be mad as they're only just off the plane!

We have 14 backs, so if we have 4 injuries we only have 10 left which is 7 starters and 3 on the bench, we have no one else, all available players would be used in the match day squad.
    Any more injuries and we’d have to add Carbery to the bench but by the sounds of it he’s not ready yet.

From what’s been reported I would believe we are without those 4 for the first match, and might have two or three of them back by the second match.

We could really do without any more injuries in the backs before the 2nd match.
    Hopefully Earls and Kearney will be ready by then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

6-2 bench split, with POM covering wing, be grand. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yeah that ended well the last time it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

James Ryan*

We have 14 backs, so if we have 4 injuries we only have 10 left which is 7 starters and 3 on the bench, we have no one else, all available players would be used in the match day squad.
    Any more injuries and we’d have to add Carbery to the bench but by the sounds of it he’s not ready yet.

From what’s been reported I would believe we are without those 4 for the first match, and might have two or three of them back by the second match.

We could really do without any more injuries in the backs before the 2nd match.
    Hopefully Earls and Kearney will be ready by then.

...i meant for the 23 jersey!

re: Kearney
    “He’s got a bit of tightness in his calf,” said the spokesperson.” That’s going to be managed today. There’s no training today, it’s a down day, and it’s hoped that he will be out running on Wednesday, so we’ll be able to update again on Wednesday how he’s going.
    https://www.the42.ie/ireland-rob-kearney-injury-world-cup-4812310-Sep2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

At what point to do we stop waiting for players to 'maybe' recover and actually call someone up? Kearney is def worth waiting on as we have seen how we play without him....the others are maybe not so critical to our overall gameplan. I feel Conway is almost like a direct Earls replacement. I would have Addison loitering around Tokyo right now...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    At what point to do we stop waiting for players to 'maybe' recover and actually call someone up? Kearney is def worth waiting on as we have seen how we play without him....the others are maybe not so critical to our overall gameplan. I feel Conway is almost like a direct Earls replacement. I would have Addison loitering around Tokyo right now...

they are only going to call someone up if a current member is out for a long time

if Kearney is only going to miss Scotland they are hardly going to send him home to miss the entire tournament

the provinces are not going to be able to have more players missing to be sitting in Japan for 8 weeks just in case they may be needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Riskymove wrote: »
    they are only going to call someone up if a current member is out for a long time

if Kearney is only going to miss Scotland they are hardly going to send him home to miss the entire tournament

the provinces are not going to be able to have more players missing to be sitting in Japan for 8 weeks just in case they may be needed

The problem is the number of players injured.

If Earls, Henshaw and Kearney are all ruled out of Sunday, all it takes is an injury to another outside back for us to be in a bit of a crisis, because then you are looking at having two out halfs on the bench, and that's assuming Carbery is fit again. Alternatively you go with a 6-2 bench split. That's when Joe might start considering bringing Addison in.

It’s supposed to be lashing rain, ball will never leave the forwards....

it really is a great piece. Well done GT! & not one "assuredly" in sight!
    particularly like these two paragraphs
    Born in the Auckland suburb of Otahuhu, to his Samoan parents, Hercules and Sautia, and the second-eldest of seven children, Aki played rugby at Manurewa High School, one of the largest multicultural secondary schools in New Zealand. Rugby gave him opportunities in life that he otherwise would not have had. He and his family then made the difficult decision to relocate to the west of Ireland, where he has twice re-signed for Connacht.

No less than Stander with Munster, and unlike other Irish-born players who have moved abroad (and good luck to them), Aki has rejected much more lucrative offers, notably in the Top 14. Every time he plays for Connacht or Ireland, we can be sure Aki inspires young Irish kids to run with the ball on wintery Sunday mornings.

I truly believe that this is the most important point. Kids are the future of the game. They are blind to all of the nonsense and just want to watch & play - always looking for inspiration.
    Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s supposed to be lashing rain, ball will never leave the forwards....

According to the BBC the forecast is now for light rain, as opposed to the thunderstorms I saw forecast a day or two ago. Still a few days away anyway so we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I truly believe that this is the most important point. Kids are the future of the game. They are blind to all of the nonsense and just want to watch & play - always looking for inspiration.
    Come on Ireland!

My niece is from Roscommon. From the age of 18 months if I asked her what my name was, she didn't know. But if I asked her who her favourite rugby player was, it was Bundee Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

bilston wrote: »
    According to the BBC the forecast is now for light rain, as opposed to the thunderstorms I saw forecast a day or two ago. Still a few days away anyway so we will see.

Looks like Saturday might be a wetter day according to the last forecast I looked at. How will that leave the pitch after the NZ/SA match? Isn't there some concerns about the pitch quality already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

it really is a great piece. Well done GT! & not one "assuredly" in sight!
    particularly like these two paragraphs
    Born in the Auckland suburb of Otahuhu, to his Samoan parents, Hercules and Sautia, and the second-eldest of seven children, Aki played rugby at Manurewa High School, one of the largest multicultural secondary schools in New Zealand. Rugby gave him opportunities in life that he otherwise would not have had. He and his family then made the difficult decision to relocate to the west of Ireland, where he has twice re-signed for Connacht.

No less than Stander with Munster, and unlike other Irish-born players who have moved abroad (and good luck to them), Aki has rejected much more lucrative offers, notably in the Top 14. Every time he plays for Connacht or Ireland, we can be sure Aki inspires young Irish kids to run with the ball on wintery Sunday mornings.

Come on Ireland!

The worst point I see from some Helen Lovejoy critics is when they say, what does that say to any aspiring young children that a foreigner can play for Ireland rather than you. I automatically just think of being from the west as a kid and having no one regularly in the Irish squad. We’d get the odd token cap for Muldoon, Duffy, Keatley and Cronin. Even Johnny O’Connor got all his caps at Wasps.

Bundee might not born in the west but I’d hedge a bet he’s done more to inspire kids in the west of Ireland to pick up a ball than any Leinster (insert Henshaw joke here) or Munster player will have in the past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

When are teams announced? Is it Friday deadline for Sunday’s games and Thursday for Saturdays?

Surely time for the match thread also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

bilston wrote: »
    The problem is the number of players injured.

If Earls, Henshaw and Kearney are all ruled out of Sunday, all it takes is an injury to another outside back for us to be in a bit of a crisis, because then you are looking at having two out halfs on the bench, and that's assuming Carbery is fit again. Alternatively you go with a 6-2 bench split. That's when Joe might start considering bringing Addison in.

Its not a crisis for Sunday even at that. If POM has to start on the wing, thats fine, if it facilites keeping guys in tge squad, who are likely to be fit for the quarters, rather than loosing them from the squad just to have a needlessly 'best' team available fit the next 4 games. A loss against Scotlanzd is a non issue. Any selection can win the following 3 games. Its what selection can we field against NZ/SA that is the bigger picture here and that must guide all subbing decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Apart from the lazy and complete bollocks assertion that Aki gets more stick because he's not white. That p*sses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Looks like Saturday might be a wetter day according to the last forecast I looked at. How will that leave the pitch after the NZ/SA match? Isn't there some concerns about the pitch quality already?

The pitch in Yokohama International was relaid in the last few weeks, as the previous pitch was in a terrible state.

Here's what it looked like in August, before the replacement: https://twitter.com/crz_yaozakura/status/1162661293725106177/photo/1

Apart from the lazy and complete bollocks assertion that Aki gets more stick because he's not white. That p*sses me off.

Really? There was definitely more furore when he started playing for Ireland compared to Stander. The comments from Foster are surely alluding to his race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

errlloyd wrote: »
    Come on Ireland!

My niece is from Roscommon. From the age of 18 months if I asked her what my name was, she didn't know. But if I asked her who her favourite rugby player was, it was Bundee Aki.
    On a side note - the Dublin men and women teams were in Crumlin over the last few days.
    Talk about inspiring the kids! The parents and the brilliantly magnificent staff all got a huge lift.
    My two month old son is in there the last week and the place was buzzing.
    It’s the greatest tradition in Irish sport.
    I’m sure the rugby team will pop back in when they come home. It doesn’t matter if they win or don’t win. It’s great that they are from all different cultures, and religions playing for Ireland, reflecting our society. The inspiring and uplifting affect they have on our kids is what really matters.
    Come on Ireland indeed!!
    https://www.the42.ie/dublin-ladies-pictures-crumlin-4811396-Sep2019/

• Advertisement

Really? There was definitely more furore when he started playing for Ireland compared to Stander. The comments from Foster are surely alluding to his race.

I don't remember any bigger furore over Aki v Stander?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement