Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Paddy Butler training with Munster.

Where did you see this? Is he not still at Pau?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He was released along with Foley at the end of last season. There been no official announcement, but he's been seen in Munster training kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Paddy Butler training with Munster.

He was training with them in Killarney on Friday. Hes still looking for a new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Jed Holloway signing confirmed: https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/09/09/munster-rugby-sign-jed-holloway-on-short-term-deal/

"Known for his work-rate and strong ball carrying abilities" - good to hear :)

The above also says, "In other squad news, former Munster players Paddy Butler (back row) and Peter McCabe (prop) are the latest to join the pre-season training group."

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Jed Holloway signing confirmed: https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/09/09/munster-rugby-sign-jed-holloway-on-short-term-deal/

"Known for his work-rate and strong ball carrying abilities" - good to hear :)

The above also says, "In other squad news, former Munster players Paddy Butler (back row) and Peter McCabe (prop) are the latest to join the pre-season training group."

Not sure about this signing was hoping this would be the break out year for Josser and Coombes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Not sure about this signing was hoping this would be the break out year for Josser and Coombes

I think it's fair enough considering Munster are down back five forwards.

Are we though ? Would of thought JOD, TOD, Botha, Coombes, cloete, j O’Sullivan, Oliver and Wycherley would of been enough cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Munster are hardly playing the cream of Europe

Dragons - Home easy
    Southern Kinds - Away easy
    Ceetahs - Away easy
    Osprey - Home Easy

Sorry update, the connacht match is a preseason. These match's should be a chance for the Munster second team and academy to get minutes.....even if full team available

It baffles me why they need these signing.....

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Are we though ? Would of thought JOD, TOD, Botha, Coombes, cloete, j O’Sullivan, Oliver and Wycherley would of been enough cover

Well the management thought we needed an extra body and Nucifora and the IRFU agreed with them.

There's plenty of experienced cover for the back row, but it'd fairly light for the second row. It's risky relying on just Holland, O'Shea and Wycherley (of whom the latter two are still pretty green) for 5 games which includes a tour to SA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Will primarily be a 2nd row. Holland is approaching 35 and will be hopefully crucial off the bench in the latter stages of the campaign. With regard to Fineen and O’Connor, the way to develop them is not by flogging them with minutes, saying that both will get plenty now and when JK and TB go for 6n duty and Holloway is gone they’ll get even more. Ahern O’Connor and Kelly are all still u20 this year and that will be their main area of development. A sensible signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We've only 6 days from Cheetahs to Ospreys and that involves pretty much 2 days traveling home if they go the same way as last time ie via Dubai. Get home late Monday, fly to Wales Thursday. Will see huge rotation for that fixture I would imagine.

To use a phrase often used to discuss Schmidt's decisions, we don't see what happens in training. The management must have felt they needed a reinforcement and the IRFU, who aren't against telling provinces No, agreed.

It also pre-empts any possible injuries to the four RWC players.

We also don't know (yet) if other senior/academy players are injured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It baffles me why they need these signing.....

Bit of deja vu here, but what positions do you think it would be acceptable for Munster to sign an NIQ?

Personally, I think the signing makes some sense and is a result of both Kleyn and Beirne making the RWC squad.

Add to that JOD, TOD and Oliver have had their injury issues in from the back-row too. We could see Wycherly covering 6 which he did a number of times last season.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

No PJ in the traveling squad, so they can take Friday off now.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/476896/london-irish-confirm-squad-for-munster-rugby-friendly.html

London Irish squad:
    1. Harry Elrington / Will Goodrick-Clarke
    2. Dave Porecki / Ross McMillan*
    3. Lovejoy Chawatama / Patric Cilliers
    4. Chunya Munga / Barney Maddison ©
    5. Franco van der Merwe © / Sam Collingridge
    6. George Nott / Ben Donnell
    7. Conor Gilsenan / Blair Cowan
    8. Matt Rogerson / Izaiha Moore-Aione
    9. Rory Brand / Scott Steele
    10. Stephen Myler / Jacob Atkins
    11. / 14. Ollie Hassell-Collins / Ben Loader / Tom Fowlie
    12. Terrence Hepetema / Matt Williams
    13. Curtis Rona / Brendan Macken
    15. Tom Parton / Will Partington

aloooof wrote: »
    Bit of deja vu here, but what positions do you think it would be acceptable for Munster to sign an NIQ?

Personally, I think the signing makes some sense and is a result of both Kleyn and Beirne making the RWC squad.

Add to that JOD, TOD and Oliver have had their injury issues in from the back-row too. We could see Wycherly covering 6 which he did a number of times last season.

It needs to be remembered also that the A team are involved in the Celtic Cup until Oct 4th when the senior squad will be in SA. So most academy players won't be available to the senior squad until round 4 of the Pro14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good to see Cronin back in the mix. Hasn't featured since December 2018. https://mobile.twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1171386004709761024

No PJ in the traveling squad, so they can take Friday off now.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/476896/london-irish-confirm-squad-for-munster-rugby-friendly.html

London Irish squad:
    1. Harry Elrington / Will Goodrick-Clarke
    2. Dave Porecki / Ross McMillan*
    3. Lovejoy Chawatama / Patric Cilliers
    4. Chunya Munga / Barney Maddison ©
    5. Franco van der Merwe © / Sam Collingridge
    6. George Nott / Ben Donnell
    7. Conor Gilsenan / Blair Cowan
    8. Matt Rogerson / Izaiha Moore-Aione
    9. Rory Brand / Scott Steele
    10. Stephen Myler / Jacob Atkins
    11. / 14. Ollie Hassell-Collins / Ben Loader / Tom Fowlie
    12. Terrence Hepetema / Matt Williams
    13. Curtis Rona / Brendan Macken
    15. Tom Parton / Will Partington

Protest is going ahead. They're protesting his signing. They did similarly at Connacht last season

Caranica wrote: »
    Protest is going ahead. They're protesting his signing. They did similarly at Connacht last season

Maybe they should head over to Reading then..........

Maybe they should head over to Reading then..........

Don't shoot the messenger. I was delivering the news that people attending the game need to know ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't shoot the messenger. I was delivering the news that people attending the game need to know ;)

or perhaps don't need to know?

• Advertisement

or perhaps don't need to know?

Potential delays at the stadium? Why would you not want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Potential delays? Are you having a giraffe!? :pac:

carefulnow.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Considering the protests at Ravenhill at the first game post court case, when the social media storm was at full tilt, only gathered a crowd of around 50 people if even, I doubt there'll be any sort of delay or even noticeable presence of protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

You should take your agenda to another forum....one that caters for those who exist in a world entirely constructed of thoughtless and foolish hate. Like those two cretins who got sued for lying and defaming Jackson's father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Team out. TB captains. 8 Academy players in mix. https://mobile.twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1172126721044295680

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Munster: Darren Sweetnam; Calvin Nash, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin, Liam Coombes; Tyler Bleyendaal (C), Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Kevin O’Byrne, Keynan Knox; Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Can't remember Sweetnam playing FB too often before. Nice mix there tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

aloooof wrote: »
    Munster: Darren Sweetnam; Calvin Nash, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin, Liam Coombes; Tyler Bleyendaal (C), Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Kevin O’Byrne, Keynan Knox; Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Can't remember Sweetnam playing FB too often before. Nice mix there tho.

I'm not sure that he has but i've always thought he could have the makings of a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I'm not sure that he has but i've always thought he could have the makings of a good one.

I seem to remember him playing fullback for the U20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Alex McHenry replaces Sammy Arnold in the side initially announced. Hopefully that's not an injury to Sammy

Subs:
    Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Peter McCabe, Stephen Archer, Thomas Ahern, Seán O’Connor, Arno Botha, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Sullivan, Craig Casey, Nick McCarthy, JJ Hanrahan, Ben Healy, Shane Daly, Rory Scannell, Mike Haley.

Peter McCabe named despite not having a contract, no Paddy Butler though.

Would like to see Craig Casey get a bit of Pro14 gametime this year, probably got a senior contract quicker than most after Leinster approached him last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPu1GnXWPw0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

mogwai81 wrote: »
    I seem to remember him playing fullback for the U20's.

He was a fullback in the academy, changed to wing when played senior as far as I can recall.

Reasonably good at it too by some accounts.
    https://www.the42.ie/darren-sweetnam-rugby-munster-575736-Aug2012/?utm_source=thescore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Really keen to get a good look at Jack O'Sullivan.

Was an unbelievable talent at Under 20s. Himself and Doris were ball carrying machines.

Given they were on the same trajectory and Doris has bagged himself 16 senior caps and a contract in a very competitive back row I would have high hopes for O'Sullivan this year

A lot to be excited about in that lineup. Keynan Knox getting a run at tighthead, it's rare that someone gets a senior contract (though he's still in the academy for this season) without even appearing in the Pro14/Europe. John Hodnett fit and available in what should be a big few weeks for him with POM and Stander away. Calvin Nash who had a bit of a lost season in 2018/19 gets an opportunity.

I assume Munster are doing Paddy Butler a good turn by allowing him to join training and hopefully he gets a job somewhere. With Holloway arriving for the Pro14 I don't see a need to sign Butler.

Peter McCabe is getting a run as I assume Brian Scott and Ciaran Parker are both still unavailable.

Paddy Butler is on the bench in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Goggin powers his way over with the first try, great sideline conversion from Tyler too.

7-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Paddy Butler is on the bench in the end!

Is he back ?! I knew he left Pau, but heard nothing about him and Munster.

Edit: just read thomonds post above.

Munster running away with it in the 2nd half.
    31-5 with 15 minutes left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

45-5 at the end, nice run out.

• Advertisement

Josser set for a breakout year

Any update on how serious Coombes' injury is?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Any update on how serious Coombes' injury is?

JVG said no concerns bar Nash who he hopes is ‘not too serious’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Was anyone here at the game? How did our attack look? Could we see some plays or pullback passes at the very least? Nice to see another 7 tries on the board at least! Maybe we should play more games (especially big ones) in Cork - maybe the likes of Saracens, Racing, Leinster, etc. would send over weakened sides. Mind games! :D

🤪

Was anyone here at the game? How did our attack look? Could we see some plays or pullback passes at the very least? Nice to see another 7 tries on the board at least! Maybe we should play more games (especially big ones) in Cork - maybe the likes of Saracens, Racing, Leinster, etc. would send over weakened sides. Mind games! :D

Missed it but there's highlights video here if that's any good! https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/09/16/highlights-gallery-reaction-munster-v-london-irish/

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Was at the game. Munster's attack and overall fitness looked very good for a first hit out.
    The coombes flick up for his try as shown in the highlights was the standout moment of the evening for me.
    Not shown in the highlights was Kevin O'Byrnes pass out the back door as he was being tackled- Very impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Hope O'sullivan development gets priority over Jed Holloway, O'sulllivan is the best backrower Munster underage sides have produced since O'mahony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Munsters future backrow should be built around

O'sullivan, Hodnett, Coombes, maybe Whitcherly as a 6 and in a few years Alex Kendellen will be in the mix

Hope O'sullivan development gets priority over Jed Holloway, O'sulllivan is the best backrower Munster underage sides have produced since O'mahony

Arno Botha and Jack O'Donaghue are more likely to block O'Sullivan this season than Holloway is. He's only here for 2 months and is more likely to play second row.

Arno Botha and Jack O'Donaghue are more likely to block O'Sullivan this season than Holloway is. He's only here for 2 months and is more likely to play second row.

He's a bit slight though. He'll need to make some serious gains to play in the back row.

At a Q&A with ROG and Alan Quinlan hosted my Denis Fogarty
    Christ, you wont be hearing any of these stories in a podcast any time soon:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement