Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's on your "to-do" list for tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Good Luck with it. Hope it goes well for you. And enjoy the **** :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

@Realt_dearg_sec: Go n-éirí leat!

The best of luck to you Realt Dearg :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

get up in the morning and get to the day centre (centre for adults with autism)
    read my book when I get in
    do my cooking (I'm making apple crisp)
    have my lunch
    go to the library
    go back to my apartment
    have nap
    have dinner
    write for the evening
    and fall into bed

• Registered Users Posts: 13 randomgar

Work work and more work.

Hopefully fix my roof too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

This thread seems like a good excuse to have a bit of a vent.

This Thursday I have an interview for the job I have spent my whole adult life dreaming of. It's for a tenure track job as a professor of Irish literature in a US university. A job like this comes up, on average, once every five years or so, and has about 200 or so applicants. Every single applicant would be a PhD with a good track record of publications and teaching. I had an initial interview at the start of the month (maybe 10 people get this) and, against the odds, I've been asked to make a visit to the campus (maybe 3 people get this). An opportunity like this, in other words, comes up once in a lifetime, if you are lucky. The interview is Thursday.

So I've spent the last three days preparing material for a teaching demonstration and for a talk to the department about my scholarship and what makes it significant to the field. Tomorrow (and this is where I'm on topic) though, I have to teach five hours of classes in composition in my current job, and prepare lesson plans for the following day for literature classes. But I also need to cut about another 2000 words from my talk, and prepare answers for every conceivable question I could be asked by a platoon of college deans, professors, lecturers, and graduate students.

And every time I feel tired, I have to remind myself that this may be my last chance to get the job of my dreams, that if I don't grasp this chance, everything that follows for the rest of my days will be tinged with the regret that I left this opportunity behind.

I'll practice delivering the talk and the teaching demonstration about ten or fifteen times each, if I get a chance to do so. And when I go to bed, exhausted, there's a good chance I'll wake up every half hour or so with a million thoughts in my head about what I should change in the talk, what questions might come up in the interviews (they will last from 8 in the morning until 6 in the evening, with the talk and teaching squeezed in in between), how I might best approach the class, and how hard it will be to pick myself up off the floor if it goes wrong and I don't get the job.

I may also have a **** at some stage. You have to treat yourself.

Good luck on Thursday, hope you are not feeling too stressed today and the prep is going well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Purpletoes wrote: »
    Good luck on Thursday, hope you are not feeling too stressed today and the prep is going well!

Thanks! Today's not been too bad, got some reassuring feedback from someone I trust about the talk I'll be giving, and my own teaching is out of the way now so I can focus entirely on what needs to be done.

On topic: to-do list tomorrow -
    Make sure my suit is in proper order
    Get to the plane on time
    Pray they don't have any plan to bring me out for dinner or anything and will leave me alone to prepare
    Prepare answers to about fifty potential questions
    Boil them down to a few basic bullets I can actually remember
    Worry and fret
    Get to my hotel, practice my talk
    Practice lesson plan
    Practice talk
    Practice lesson plan
    Practice talk (repeat ad nauseam)
    Massive **** (for nerves and because I'm staying alone in a hotel, I'm pretty sure it's the law)
    Sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Drop kid to school
    Go to work ( long to do list there)
    Visit my sick mother
    Try and catch half hour of TV box set

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Will finish work at 8 in the morning then go to see florist about wedding flowers AND get first fitting for wedding dress... busy day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Give a no-slides talk to a room full of CEOs, including my own, and a Minister. Won't sleep a wink tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Thanks! Today's not been too bad, got some reassuring feedback from someone I trust about the talk I'll be giving, and my own teaching is out of the way now so I can focus entirely on what needs to be done.

On topic: to-do list tomorrow -
    Make sure my suit is in proper order
    Get to the plane on time
    Pray they don't have any plan to bring me out for dinner or anything and will leave me alone to prepare
    Prepare answers to about fifty potential questions
    Boil them down to a few basic bullets I can actually remember
    Worry and fret
    Get to my hotel, practice my talk
    Practice lesson plan
    Practice talk
    Practice lesson plan
    Practice talk (repeat ad nauseam)
    Massive **** (for nerves and because I'm staying alone in a hotel, I'm pretty sure it's the law)
    Sleep

DID YOU GET THE JOB??? 😯😯😯

No. They told me if the job was only about Irish literature I'd have gotten it, but there was also a "postcolonial" dimension that weighed heavier with some in the department. So I didn't do anything wrong. But between you me and the four walls I know through the grapevine that the guy who got the job was an ivy league bollocks who went to the college for his undergraduate, and knows as much about Irish literature as I know about pig farming.

Business as ****ing usual basically, but they might have saved me two months of work and three of getting my hopes up by just telling me to **** off when I first applied.

Good learning experience though. It'll stand to me. Thanks to everyone on this thread for listening to me vent in the run up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

No. They told me if the job was only about Irish literature I'd have gotten it, but there was also a "postcolonial" dimension that weighed heavier with some in the department. So I didn't do anything wrong. But between you me and the four walls I know through the grapevine that the guy who got the job was an ivy league bollocks who went to the college for his undergraduate, and knows as much about Irish literature as I know about pig farming.

Business as ****ing usual basically, but they might have saved me two months of work and three of getting my hopes up by just telling me to **** off when I first applied.

Good learning experience though. It'll stand to me. Thanks to everyone on this thread for listening to me vent in the run up!

I am sorry you didn’t get the job, you clearly put a lot of work into it. You must be so proud if getting into the final three or so. I hope an equal if not better opportunity comes up for you. You never know what is around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Get up in two hours despite not having slept yet :eek:
    Set up a new client trial
    Chase more annoying clients
    Go to a conference and network
    Few business calls
    Few training webcasts
    Set up team drinks for one of the NY bosses that's in town
    Drink multiple G&Ts
    Slept 563 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Get warm.

When it gets time he will be up, call my neighbour the ferryman who always goes over on Fridays ( pension day) to ask him please to cover the back of my poor drowned car.... (Deluged all night. If the wind was in that direction it will be flooded out.Gave me nightmares)

Call the bank to pay Westnet and set up standing order.

Envy the cats who have been fed and are curled up on my bed in contented furry circles.. well 2 of them are..mislaid the third but je is field wise

Try to organise new window for the car etc but depends on cost .

Endure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Parkrun. Hair, tan, nails. Go to a friend's birthday lunch. Go home to stepkids. Bite my tongue and repeat "they're teenagers, they can't help it" over and over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

wake up

brekkie

lunch

back to bed

wake up

ireland match

chinese take away

sleep

Graces7 wrote: »
    Get warm.

When it gets time he will be up, call my neighbour the ferryman who always goes over on Fridays ( pension day) to ask him please to cover the back of my poor drowned car.... (Deluged all night. If the wind was in that direction it will be flooded out.Gave me nightmares)

Call the bank to pay Westnet and set up standing order.

Envy the cats who have been fed and are curled up on my bed in contented furry circles.. well 2 of them are..mislaid the third but je is field wise

Try to organise new window for the car etc but depends on cost .

Endure.

amazingly all but one of these is done..

Tomorrow is an empty page,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Drop my kid to a birthday party.

Go to the gym.

Pick up dry cleaning.

Cook dinner.

• Advertisement

Neames wrote: »
    Drop my kid to a birthday party.

Go to the gym.

Pick up dry cleaning.

Cook dinner.
    Don't forget to pick up the kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Go to Aldi to pick up some fruit.

Then drink for the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

update new list with all the crap i was supposed to do today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Taking my son to his schoolboy football match in the morning

Take my ma shopping (she doesn't drive) in the afternoon

Watch a movie with my kids and wife early evening

Drink beer late evening

Thought for the day..Your tomorrow is my today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thought for the day..Your tomorrow is my today....

I doubt it very much.

Today, Vacuum the house from top to bottom, do the Times crossword, take a walk through the bog, then ad lib.

Tomorrow, mass, coffee with neighbours, visit daughter and family for dinner, home to a fire and TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Get to spend the day with my almost 10 month old daughter. Mam went back to work on Thursday for the first time so I've been minding her. Saturday was the first full day together with just the two of us and it was brilliant, so hoping Sunday is as good if not better.

As brilliant as it is, it is tiring. I have a new found respect for my partner.

Get to spend the day with my almost 10 month old daughter. Mam went back to work on Thursday for the first time so I've been minding her. Saturday was the first full day together with just the two of us and it was brilliant, so hoping Sunday is as good if not better.

As brilliant as it is, it is tiring. I have a new found respect for my partner.
    I know what you mean about it being tiring, just don't actually tell your partner it was so. Say it was handy, dunno what women are always complaining about.

Drives them mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sort that Blockers clip from popping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

work.

bastardin work.

off Monday though so theres that.

Advertisement