Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Card minimum spend!

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Went to buy some supplements from a shop in town, spent €30 on amino acids.

Forgot I needed multivitamins too so without leaving the counter I reached and got them from s nearby shelf, priced €9.99, went to pay with card and the guy said there's a €10 minimum charge.

I never shopped there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Jeez, taking it so personally!

When I have experienced this, yeh it's a bit annoying at that moment but it's not a case that the shop is out to get you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Jeez, taking it so personally!

When I have experienced this, yeh it's a bit annoying at that moment but it's not a case that the shop is out to get you!

It's a stupid business model from the shop. They may not make a big profit on this one sale, but by not accepting it they are just turning away all future sales from that customer. I wouldn't return to a shop again if they refused to sell me something for this reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

jester77 wrote: »
    It's a stupid business model from the shop. They may not make a big profit on this one sale, but by not accepting it they are just turning away all future sales from that customer. I wouldn't return to a shop again if they refused to sell me something for this reason.
    Refuse? You'd swear it was their decision. What's with people being so self entitled these past few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Refuse? You'd swear it was their decision. What's with people being so self entitled these past few years?

It is their decision. It has already been posted here in this thread and verified by AIB in their forum that applying a minimum purchase limit is against the merchants T&Cs. So yes they are refusing a purchase.

The sales assistant who has been instructed by their manager has no say. "Refuse" implies they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its against Mastercard rules anyway.

5.11.3 Minimum/Maximum Transaction Amount Prohibited
    A Merchant must not require, or indicate that it requires, a minimum or
    maximum Transaction amount to accept a valid and properly presented
    MasterCard or Maestro Card.

Only about 3 companies operate card services in ireland, Elavon(BOI) , AIBMS and Worldpay (Ulster bank). The merchant number of the store easily identifies which provider they are with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

If the customer was expected to pay an extra charge on small transactions there would be holy war. Yet they expect small retail businesses who are probably struggling in this day and age to suck it up. Nice one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ranchu wrote: »
    If the customer was expected to pay an extra charge on small transactions there would be holy war. Yet they expect small retail businesses who are probably struggling in this day and age to suck it up. Nice one.

I wouldn't have a problem paying an extra charge. I've offered to pay it a few times when I was stuck without cash, it was never accepted though. Would be well worth it for convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

boardzz wrote: »
    Saying I hope you take 2 sugars is the rude part as i'm sure you're aware.

I hope the assistant got counseling after hearing this, I mean what were you thinking saying something so utterly offensive to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I wouldn't have a problem paying an extra charge. I've offered to pay it a few times when I was stuck without cash, it was never accepted though. Would be well worth it for convenience.

the convenience of what? Paying for something? ... Cash/Card should make no difference. You make it sound like they're doing you a favour.

You pay enough in bank fees. Least you should have is a working system. The bottom line is retailers are breaching agreements by setting minimum charges and are preventing cashless transactions from really taking off

People who pay by card are looked down on and made feel awkward by others because they simply don't want to have pockets full of coins, notes, or maybe they're on the breadline with €5 till pay day, etc and its a bit over-dramatic and snobby judging by the reactions of some to pay with card

If the retailers feel the banks are fleecing them, the same way phone providers are wholesaling credit for more than its value, then go do something about it and stop putting the pressure on consumers because its the 'easiest' option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Yeh I know people are broke, but even just to ensure when possible that they'd have a fiver or tenner in case they need cash.

I'm not sure you understand what "broke" means.

For many people it's not just as simple as making sure that they always have a fiver or a tenner in their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

swampy353 wrote: »
    It's an idea, just to clarify our position we have an atm within 2 feet of the door, we waive any minimum spend on card if the Atm is out of service.
    We are not trying to gouge the customer by forcing them go spend more, we are a business that runs on very tight margins and when you have someone coming in to buy a freddo (30c) and try to use a card, we would be better off just giving the product away.
    We don't use aib merchant services

it doesn't matter - the CARD companies do not allow you to impose a minimum spend, you're still in breach of your merchant services contract regardless of who provides your card services

I'm not sure you understand what "broke" means.

For many people it's not just as simple as making sure that they always have a fiver or a tenner in their pocket.
    Not that I said it was, but anyhoo...
    I simply said that if you're broke maybe just see if you could ensure whatever money you have (even if it's feck all) is in cash, so that you don't run into this minimum spend lark with your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Not that I said it was, but anyhoo...
    I simple said that if you're broke maybe just see if you could ensure whatever money you have (even if it's feck all) is in cash, so that you don't run into this minimum spend lark with your card.

Scenario: Bank balance is €9.50, it's the weekend, no bank open, no ATM will give you €9.50

Having no minimum spend and/or contactless payments means you can still pay for food and eat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ukoda wrote: »
    Scenario: Bank balance is €9.50, it's the weekend, no bank open, no ATM will give you €9.50

Having no minimum spend and/or contactless payments means you can still pay for food and eat.

TBH even if your bank balance is €19.50 you'll be lucky to find an ATM that will dispense €10.

Advertisement