Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place in Ireland to live on the dole?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is this before or after rent allowance is taken into account?

I am not eligible to claim rent allowance. Just dole.
    I owned a house before, but lost it as I couldn't keep up with the mortgage repayments. You have to be renting for 6 months before you can claim rent allowance you see.

I would, without a shadow of a doubt, rather take my own life than spend a year in Galway. Easily one of the most miserable towns in Ireland (mainly because of the weather, but still). Always astounded every time I went there at the amount of foreigners from warm countries (or at least countries that get a great summer) who lived in the place.

Galway has the best and worst of Irish weather like anywhere on the coasts. I live in Malahide and we get just as much good and bad weather on the East coast as the West. True there are a lot of foreigners in Galway, but again its the same all over Ireland now. Its a product of the Celtic Tiger boom years when many Eastern Europeans flocked here for work. Many have now returned though as the economic situation here is no better than at home for them.
    One trend I am seeing though is the number of Brazillians in Ireland is increasing rapidly. The Brazillians are replacing the Eastern Europeans as the cheap labour force in Ireland, many of them prepared to work under the minimum wage in the black economy as they are not eligible to claim any social welfare.
    Nice warm weather doesn't put food on the table, so that's why they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

In a flat above a post office, massage parlor, and pub/restaurant with free wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Malahide, but planning on moving to Carrick-on-Shannon. The post Celtic Tiger property oversupply in Leitrim has meant cheaper rents.

You will get no dole if you move to Leitrim as moving to an unemployment blackspot cannot be construed as "actively seeking employment"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Where are you living yourself?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The Brazillians are replacing the Eastern Europeans
    Lads, you don't know how good you have it. There were no good looking Brazilians or Polish girls around when I was on the scratcher back in 80/90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

My family are all based in Galway/Leitrim/Sligo. But there is no work in my field in those counties. I moved to Dublin for work, but was laid off as the firm I worked for went bust due to the recession. I have working friends in Galway that are living in Celtic Tiger estates with most of their neighbours on the dole now. These people are in mortgage arrears and at risk of losing their homes; so I don't think their is much stigma to being on the dole in Galway these days. Its not about being a lazy git scrounging, when your firm goes bust; then you have no choice but to go on the dole to survive. I worked from 21 to 35 full time. I paid 14 years into the EU social fund, and now I am claiming dole; that's what its there for; I feel no shame in that.

Sorry. Wasn't getting at you, but maybe you could have included that info in your original post. Theres obviously no shame in claiming your hard earned entitlements and good luck finding a new job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ronin247 wrote: »
    You will get no dole if you move to Leitrim as moving to an unemployment blackspot cannot be construed as "actively seeking employment"

I construe this as "actively making stuff up".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well currently I am renting a room in Malahide for 290 Euro per month plus 70 Euro bills (internet/bins/electric/gas). So for 360 Euro per month I am surviving here. Dublin is better for jobs, but the higher rent costs make it harder on the dole. I am looking at other options locally like renting a cheaper room somewhere.

Cant you get rent allowance to cover with the cost? Also theres a winter fuel payment if you have been unemployed 1 year or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Enniscorthy,there's feck all left open to spend the dole on but the pubs are busiest on Mondays & Tuesdays so at least you can have the craic when you get 'paid'.
    Downside,there's feck all jobs & all the good looking foreign wimmins are married or in relationships.

zerks wrote: »
    Enniscorthy,there's feck all left open to spend the dole on but the pubs are busiest on Mondays & Tuesdays so at least you can have the craic when you get 'paid'.
    Downside,there's feck all jobs & all the good looking foreign wimmins are married or in relationships.

I was thinking of living on one of the islands, maybe the Aran Islands or Inishbofin? I like living by the sea in Malahide, but the rent prices are high here.
    I know someone who lived on Valentia island on the dole and they had a great time as it was cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I was thinking of living on one of the islands, maybe the Aran Islands or Inishbofin? I like living by the sea in Malahide, but the rent prices are high here.
    I know someone who lived on Valentia island on the dole and they had a great time as it was cheap.

Do you mind me asking what sort of work you do?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what sort of work you do?

Don't worry I am not a journalist!
    I am on the dole. I was a Hotel Manager.

Don't worry I am not a journalist!
    I am on the dole. I was a Hotel Manager.

Any of these? http://46.245.211.41/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1202038

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

That link provides no information about where the best place in Ireland to live on the dole is :confused:

• Advertisement

Off topic, but thanks; I already found jobs.ie by the way.
    I suppose you will give me a link to fas.ie next...

Off topic, but thanks; I already found jobs.ie by the way.
    I suppose you will give me a link to fas.ie next...

Was only trying to help, no need to get smart.

Enjoy Leitrim so.

Ronin247 wrote: »

You are mistaken. I am currently claiming dole. I can move to wherever I choose in Ireland and simply transfer my dole there. I simply walk into my local dole office with a utility and passport and transfer. Whether the area is an employment black spot of not does not come in to it.

jjbrien wrote: »
    Cant you get rent allowance to cover with the cost? Also theres a winter fuel payment if you have been unemployed 1 year or more.

I haven't been renting for the mandatory 6 months to claim rent allowance.
    I have only been claiming dole for a month you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I believe Western Australia has a big recruiting push for experienced hotel and catering professionals. A few years in the sun and a nice pile of savings sounds very tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

catbear wrote: »
    Lads, you don't know how good you have it. There were no good looking Brazilians or Polish girls around when I was on the scratcher back in 80/90s.

There was sod all great looking Polish women in Ireland during the tiger years either if truth be told. Irelands biggest export may now be people, but in the CT years our biggest import must surely have been frumpy tight arsed munters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

muff .
    near muff diving centre.so i could get muff diving lessons to kill time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

crazygeryy wrote: »
    muff .
    near muff diving centre.so i could get muff diving lessons to kill time.
    You called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

What you call Postman Man on the Dole?
    Pat

Advertisement