Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place in Ireland to live on the dole?

• 29-10-2012 10:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

Where do you think the best place in Ireland to live on the dole is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Id say some where like Waterford or Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Where are you living yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Beside a Dole or post office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A dole thread on AH.

What a novel and original idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How about moving somewhere you can find a job and stop trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Donegal where all the fit Polish wimmins are on the scratch and surfing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This will end well.

<gets popcorn>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If i was any good at surfing Ballybunion or kilkee..!! Killarney wouldn't be bad , plenty of national park on yr doorstep..(if your outdoorsy )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

London...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Rockall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Foxrock I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Poland................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Poland................:D[/

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Not on dole but recon its gotta be galway. Great town, loads happening without the expense of dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Go on DB and get it paid direct to your bank a/c then head for the Canaries. Make sure you can be back inside 24 hours if an inspector should call. So I'm told.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

Where are you living yourself?

Malahide, but planning on moving to Carrick-on-Shannon. The post Celtic Tiger property oversupply in Leitrim has meant cheaper rents.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How about moving somewhere you can find a job and stop trolling?

I already live in Dublin (Malahide) thanks. Dublin is probably the best part of Ireland to find a job, being the capital city.
    Its a serious question, not trolling. I am looking for somewhere with cheaper rent now I have lost my job; and I am on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

On the Aran Islands. You get double dole there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I already live in Dublin (Malahide) thanks. Dublin is probably the best part of Ireland to find a job, being the capital city.
    Its a serious question, not trolling. I am looking for somewhere with cheaper rent now I have lost my job; and I am on the dole.

If you're serious, then balance city life (more chance of work) with rents. I'd look at Sligo or Galway. Galway has a college in it so rents might be cheap if you can shack up with some students. Waterford for the same reason. Avoid Limerick but that is just personal bias (I grew up and escaped from there).

• Advertisement

Not on dole but recon its gotta be galway. Great town, loads happening without the expense of dublin.

Great choice. I was thinking Salthill would be a great place to move to now the rent prices have dropped in the recession. Its certainly cheaper than where I live in Malahide anyway. I think there are plenty of Galwegians on the dole now so there's not so much of a stigma about it as there was.

Or Innisboffin maybe? I was thinking on one of the Island's like Valentia could be interesting on the dole, just riding out the recession until it fades away a bit. Makes a change from the usual escape plan of Australia anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Go on DB and get it paid direct to your bank a/c then head for the Canaries. Make sure you can be back inside 24 hours if an inspector should call. So I'm told.

Ya...just Go on DB :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Foxrock I'd say

28067205.jpg

in a cabin in the woods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

My mistake. This is wrong. Someone told me this ages ago but it seems its not true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Back at home with your mammy.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Problem with Dublin IMO is it quite dear to be on the dole. I'm going back onto the dole now, getting bare minimum.

I'd still say though your alot better on the dole in a city or busy town with stuff on, than in a rural area. Tbh being on the dole rurally can be soul destroying and depressing. You've also got far less of a chance of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In scumbagville

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    In scumbagville

That is what you call where you live is it?

jobstown

DB10 wrote: »
    Problem with Dublin IMO is it quite dear to be on the dole. I'm going back onto the dole now, getting bare minimum.

I'd still say though your alot better on the dole in a city or busy town with stuff on, than in a rural area. Tbh being on the dole rurally can be soul destroying and depressing. You've also got far less of a chance of a job.

Agreed. For example; a 1 bedroom apartment in Dublin is 650 Euro per month, in Carrick-on-Shannon its 350 Euro per month. That's a huge difference in lifestyle when you are living on 188 Euro per week. I take your point about rural areas though, paradise until the boredom sets in. Things like being near a sports centre or cinema can keep you sane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

In scumbagville

Well, thats mature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

In scumbagville

Childish and unhelpful, but I guess even the mods can fail read the charter on how to be a better poster.

I was broke at one stage, not on the dole, survived on bike couriering and waiting, I found Dublin city offered a lot. I traveled by mountain bike, got cheapish shared inner city rent and got involved with an inner city youth group as a volunteer. Lots of activities and got around the country, met lots of really cool people from all sorts of privileged non privileged backgrounds and made serious business contacts. The ethnic influences (markets and eateries) can make the city a very very cheap place to live. I'd avoid renting in some of the suburbs though.

Like anything, it's what you make of it. There are jobs there, some of them can be tough on the ego, but if you've got a thick skin they can be good fun.

I'd imagine it's the same in any large town, but harder in rural areas.

Edit:.. forgot to say, great sex life waiting, cycling, volunteering and knocking around Dublin!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

bluewolf wrote: »
    jobstown

HAHAHAHAHA

• Advertisement

How about living on one of the islands? I think in remote areas you only have to sign on once every 3 months, but would you still have to collect the dole weekly from the local post office though?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

How about living on one of the islands? I think in remote areas you only have to sign on once every 3 months, but would you still have to collect the dole weekly from the local post office though?

need to go to the local post office once a week to get your money.
    you get a letter once a month just to sign your name and tick a box saying you didnt work in the last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Westmeath, seems like the place where all the Dolans live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Westmeath, seems like the place where all the Dolans live.

Ah but its Michael O'Leary land that could you immagine all the extra charges he would do

To be honest im from Mullingar myself I got out of it and went to Canada to get off the dole. Mullingar isnt a bad town to be on the dole in but the rents can be simular to any big irish town or city. I didn't have 2 cents to rub together at the end of the week there. Get of of Ireland if you can and get working or stay in Dublin you have a better chance there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Agreed. For example; a 1 bedroom apartment in Dublin is 650 Euro per month, in Carrick-on-Shannon its 350 Euro per month. That's a huge difference in lifestyle when you are living on 188 Euro per week. I take your point about rural areas though, paradise until the boredom sets in. Things like being near a sports centre or cinema can keep you sane.

I'm sure you can do better than that:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm pretty frugal, I was living on less than the dole when working during the property bubble. I spent a lot of money on travel though, I'd have to be able to still travel a bit so I reckon somewhere with a direct bus to Dublin Airport.
    Can't do Dublin or rural, I spent years in the early 90s on the dole on the Northside and I just couldn't do that again.
    I only need to get away for five or six days at a time, I'd go wherever I can get the cheapest flight. Generally money goes a lot further on the continent for buses, hostels etc and most of my interests are free cultural things. I once got flights from Dublin-Barcalona-Venice-Dubln for 120 including taxes, it was november and I shaped my itinerary around the cheapest flights. Still one of the best trips I ever took.
    One thing I'd definitely do is try to move my dole for three months to somewhere like tenerife to try to learn Spanish at the very least. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Warsaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Have you no friends or family where you live at the moment op.
    I think I'd prefer to stay where I'm known rather than try to settle in a town where no one knows me and I have a limited resources.
    Also, Galways not a cheap town and theres very limited free things to do.
    And whilst there is less stigma associated with being on the dole than there used to be, you wouldn't want to be known as a lazy git whose happy scrounging around on the dole rather than out getting a job. I'd imagine theres a lot of " stigma" still attached to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Better off staying where you are.
    If you're on limited means, the ability to borrow stuff as needed, from people you know is precious.
    Moving away from that makes life much more difficult.

Eathrin wrote: »
    I'm sure you can do better than that:confused:

Well currently I am renting a room in Malahide for 290 Euro per month plus 70 Euro bills (internet/bins/electric/gas). So for 360 Euro per month I am surviving here. Dublin is better for jobs, but the higher rent costs make it harder on the dole. I am looking at other options locally like renting a cheaper room somewhere.

swiftman wrote: »
    need to go to the local post office once a week to get your money.
    you get a letter once a month just to sign your name and tick a box saying you didnt work in the last month

Do you still have to sign at the dole office every 3 months though? Or just post back the monthly letter?
    I know you get extra dole living on the islands to cover your travel costs (ferry) to the nearest dole office to sign.

Have you no friends or family where you live at the moment op.
    I think I'd prefer to stay where I'm known rather than try to settle in a town where no one knows me and I have a limited resources.
    Also, Galways not a cheap town and theres very limited free things to do.
    And whilst there is less stigma associated with being on the dole than there used to be, you wouldn't want to be known as a lazy git whose happy scrounging around on the dole rather than out getting a job. I'd imagine theres a lot of " stigma" still attached to that

My family are all based in Galway/Leitrim/Sligo. But there is no work in my field in those counties. I moved to Dublin for work, but was laid off as the firm I worked for went bust due to the recession. I have working friends in Galway that are living in Celtic Tiger estates with most of their neighbours on the dole now. These people are in mortgage arrears and at risk of losing their homes; so I don't think their is much stigma to being on the dole in Galway these days. Its not about being a lazy git scrounging, when your firm goes bust; then you have no choice but to go on the dole to survive. I worked from 21 to 35 full time. I paid 14 years into the EU social fund, and now I am claiming dole; that's what its there for; I feel no shame in that.

somefeen wrote: »
    Better off staying where you are.
    If you're on limited means, the ability to borrow stuff as needed, from people you know is precious.
    Moving away from that makes life much more difficult.

I can't make my mind up to be honest with you.
    I moved to Dublin for work. Most of my friends and family have emigrated to Australia or the UK to escape the recession.
    Staying in Dublin is probably better in terms of employment prospects, but the higher rent prices make it tougher on the dole.
    I am reluctant to move to Leitrim though (where I have friends and family) as although the rent prices are really cheap, its an employment black spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

In scumbagville

I would, without a shadow of a doubt, rather take my own life than spend a year in Galway. Easily one of the most miserable towns in Ireland (mainly because of the weather, but still). Always astounded every time I went there at the amount of foreigners from warm countries (or at least countries that get a great summer) who lived in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Well currently I am renting a room in Malahide for 290 Euro per month plus 70 Euro bills (internet/bins/electric/gas). So for 360 Euro per month I am surviving here. Dublin is better for jobs, but the higher rent costs make it harder on the dole. I am looking at other options locally like renting a cheaper room somewhere.
    Is this before or after rent allowance is taken into account?

• Advertisement
Advertisement