Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPC, IPO, IDFPA etc.

Options
  • 20-11-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty rundown on the various associations, the differing rules, relative popularities, relationship between them etc, please and thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Join them all on facebook.
    • GPC is popular, well organised and does equipped and unequipped lifts (up to double ply)
    • IDFPA is the official drug free federation, again equipped lifts and unequipped lifts (single ply).
    • IPO is the new kid on the block. I'd say most lifters come equipped (single ply) a good cross over of lifters who also compete in the GPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Thats pretty much it..GPC Raw has taken off in a big way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

squod wrote: »
    Join them all on facebook.
    • GPC is popular, well organised and does equipped and unequipped lifts (up to double ply)
    • IDFPA is the official drug free federation, again equipped lifts and unequipped lifts (single ply).
    • IPO is the new kid on the block. I'd say most lifters come equipped (single ply) a good cross over of lifters who also compete in the GPC.

IPO's new?

Good run down on em tho.

I'd add this... Don't pick a federation based solely off "competition". The Irish pool is really too small to have any meaningful competition. So don't avoid the GPCs cos it's not tested and you'd get your ass handed to you, or don't do the IDFPAs cos the competition is shallow and you can win a medal. Neither's really representative of your quality nationally when results are taken in isolation.

Compete wherever is most convenient for you.

That being said, the wheels have pretty much fallen off the IDFPA at this stage. I'd lift IPO or GPC if I was to compete again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

What does single/double ply mean?

Actually, it'd be handy to have a thread where n00bs can ask questions... Cos I've been powerlifting for 9 months and I'm still braindead on many terms...

What does single/double ply mean?

Actually, it'd be handy to have a thread where n00bs can ask questions... Cos I've been powerlifting for 9 months and I'm still braindead on many terms...

Single ply = one layer of thick supportive equipment (typically poly)

Double ply = two layers of same...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    Single ply = one layer of thick supportive equipment (typically poly)

Double ply = two layers of same...

I vote for a stickie on equipped lifting! Explanations of the various types of gear: bench shirts, squat suits etc....

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I vote for a stickie on equipped lifting! Explanations of the various types of gear: bench shirts, squat suits etc....

Good shout. Let me write a fair and balanced view because as far as I know I'm the only person here who's done a substantial amount of comps raw and equipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Good shout. Let me write a fair and balanced view because as far as I know I'm the only person here who's done a substantial amount of comps raw and equipped.

Please do...ill sticky it and we can add to is as we go along then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

I don't want to complicate the thread, but IMO the IPO isn't really single ply, as they allow briefs (supportive boxer-type briefs made out of single ply material)

I don't know how much they give, but to me single ply = 1 layer only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Glad you said that and I kinda thought it when I asked the question. Perhaps expand the idea and have a Powerlifting sticky for terminology, federation descriptions, upcoming comps and what have you, then maybe similar for Olympic and Strongman? I know that's a lot of stickies, but maybe they'll save multiple repeat threads in the long run.

• Advertisement

IPO's new?

Good run down on em tho.

I'd add this... Don't pick a federation based solely off "competition". The Irish pool is really too small to have any meaningful competition. So don't avoid the GPCs cos it's not tested and you'd get your ass handed to you, or don't do the IDFPAs cos the competition is shallow and you can win a medal. Neither's really representative of your quality nationally when results are taken in isolation.

Compete wherever is most convenient for you.

That being said, the wheels have pretty much fallen off the IDFPA at this stage. I'd lift IPO or GPC if I was to compete again.

Oh I would, would I?? Them's fighting words! :pac:

Actually this post illustrates part of my question nicely - is there conflict involved in lifting in different associations? Competing in one rules you out of another, or rules you out for a time such as the calendar year, or anything like that? If I ever got a rush of blood and competed, I'd be doing it for pure enjoyment with no prospect of winning and I wouldn't like to think I'd rule myself out of an opportunity to enter one competition 'cos I'd entered another.

Oh I would, would I?? Them's fighting words! :pac:

Well if you weigh 90-100kg you need to be squatting well into the 200s and pulling 250+ to be competitive :D The top guys in those divisons are hitting much more, raw.
    Actually this post illustrates part of my question nicely - is there conflict involved in lifting in different associations? Competing in one rules you out of another, or rules you out for a time such as the calendar year, or anything like that? If I ever got a rush of blood and competed, I'd be doing it for pure enjoyment with no prospect of winning and I wouldn't like to think I'd rule myself out of an opportunity to enter one competition 'cos I'd entered another.

If you lift in the IDFPA you can't lift anywhere else because 4 or 5 people in that federation wanted to keep it parochial so they could win everything which has lead a vibrant growing federation into a one man band where the same dude had to spot, load and ref at a comp recently (or so I was told).

They do it because it's against their drug free ethos to compete, spot, load or help any other federation. This is despite the GPC/IPO supplying spotters and equipment for every major IDFPA comp in the last number of years, including world/european championships event. It's a f*cking hypocritical disgrace and I'm shutting up now or I'll dig a hole for myself.

Other than that, no one gives a crap who you lift with. And rightly so. The IPO and GPC run tonnes of comps during the year so you'd have lots of opportunities to compete.

If you lift in the IDFPA you can't lift anywhere else because 4 or 5 people in that federation wanted to keep it parochial so they could win everything which has lead a vibrant growing federation into a one man band where the same dude had to spot, load and ref at a comp recently (or so I was told).

They do it because it's against their drug free ethos to compete, spot, load or help any other federation. This is despite the GPC/IPO supplying spotters and equipment for every major IDFPA comp in the last number of years, including world/european championships event. It's a f*cking hypocritical disgrace and I'm shutting up now or I'll dig a hole for myself.

Other than that, no one gives a crap who you lift with. And rightly so. The IPO and GPC run tonnes of comps during the year so you'd have lots of opportunities to compete.

Brendan Behan was righ about Irish committees. I knew there'd be something like this in the background. Shame, helps nobody. Thanks for the rundown, 'preciate it.

Advertisement