Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 year old wants to run

• 18-09-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 9 year old son who's never been particularly into sport or up to now into competition at all. However, he's discovered that he's one of the slowest runners in his class and he's not that happy about it and wants to improve.

What do people recommend? I'd be quite happy to train him.

Would the couch to 5k thing be a good place to start or would that be inappropriate for his age?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If there's a juvenile athletics club in your area, it might be worthwhile getting him involved with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

My 7 year old is in a running club, they meet twice a week. Do you have a running club in your area. best place to start would be pitch running down the local GAA club couple times a week etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

greendom wrote: »
    I have a 9 year old son who's never been particularly into sport or up to now into competition at all. However, he's discovered that he's one of the slowest runners in his class and he's not that happy about it and wants to improve.

Would the couch to 5k thing be a good place to start or would that be inappropriate for his age?

Thanks
    5k is way way too far ,So I wouldnt go down that road. If you can get him into a local club they will have him mixing and running with other and make the whole thing fun. It won't even fell like training .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There is a club here, but I was thinking of getting him into some sort of shape before he went along, so he wouldn't be embarrassed and lose interest.

Its not running, they do all types of thing circuts etc, think jumping through hoops etc. My own lad sometimes stands in the middle and practices star wars light sabre fighting, (on his own) drives me mad but he's enjoying himself and you should see him run when he decides.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My Brother who is 12 now was pretty slow when he was about 8-9 think he used tell me he was 4th slowest out of 12-13 boys in his class.

Anyway he joined an Athletics club only did it once a week for two years but it helped him steadily over past few years. Now he is fastest in his class and goes onto counties etc. Not saying same will happen with your son but I think this would be good start and he should see good progress over few years.

It be hard explain to your son but he may not see much improvement for couple years gradual progress is hopefully what will happen and ya never know after that.

It did help that my brother is excellent swimmer, fastest in Ireland at his age level at present for one event think its butterfly, anyway. He not joined to Athletic club now but he still fastest and lot this down to his fitness from swimming number times a week.

The main thing is that he enjoys what he does. It does not matter if he comes first or last once he enjoys it that is most important thing (again I know how hard it is to drill it into kids brains). Him joining a club sure beats sitting down watching TV all day and healthy body is healthy mind they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

There is a club here, but I was thinking of getting him into some sort of shape before he went along, so he wouldn't be embarrassed and lose interest.

Hey just saw post there.

Maybe try bringing him down local pitch or park and jogging with him. Just something light at start nothing too serious. Let him build from there

If your near a college some do camps i.e. UCD Sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Thanks

Is he the slowest sprinter or the slowest distance runner or both? I've heard of studies that show that neither aerobic nor anaerobic training before puberty have no real lasting effect. However, anecdotally, the Kenyans who run to and from school seem to have an advantage.

For him to keep at it, he needs to have fun. So it depends on what he likes doing. If he'd like running with you, then running to school inthe morning and back in the evening together could work. If he likes being around other kids his age then the local club is probably the way to go.

The biggest improvement to his speed will probably come when he grows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ss43 wrote: »
    Is he the slowest sprinter or the slowest distance runner or both? I've heard of studies that show that neither aerobic nor anaerobic training before puberty have no real lasting effect. However, anecdotally, the Kenyans who run to and from school seem to have an advantage.

For him to keep at it, he needs to have fun. So it depends on what he likes doing. If he'd like running with you, then running to school inthe morning and back in the evening together could work. If he likes being around other kids his age then the local club is probably the way to go.

The biggest improvement to his speed will probably come when he grows.

Probably both but more on the sprinting side I would imagine. Think I'll take him for a few jogs and then see if he likes the idea of joining the local club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

completely off topic here but isn't it great to think that some nine year olds wants to be active and competitive rather than sit on there arse's and play PSP or X-Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Ah, memories of childhood. We all (back in the 70's and 80's) were in 'running clubs'. We had under 6's, 7's, 8's and all the way up to senior (over 16's!).

I still see some of the guys who were involved back then at the BHAA races. (this is around Cork).

Anyway, anything over 800-1500m is way to long for most kids. They want to do sprints, long jump, high jump and so on. We used to train on Tuesdays and Thursdays and then compete on Sundays. - no gels and lucozade. Just ham sandwiches and miwadi orange.

And it was all barefoot a la Zola Budd (because spikes were a complete indulgence).

Take him along to the local club if they are not too serious. It should be fun until he has confidence and the competition can come later.

mitresize5 wrote: »
    completely off topic here but isn't it great to think that some nine year olds wants to be active and competitive rather than sit on there arse's and play PSP or X-Box

OT indeed, its up to the parents to direct the children to be active and competitive, also the Xbox etc do serve a purpose as they are great for teaching problem solving skills, and team sports in some cases. its units like the nintendo DS etc that can cause problems where the child will get totally warped up in their own world with the DS. In the wrong hands they can be very dangerous for a childs mind.

Advertisement