Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with a DJ setup [Intermediate]

• 18-09-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

The setup I'm looking for is Intermediate I'm not looking to spend 6000 on a pioneer club standard setup ! :)

So basically I'm looking for an intermediate setup for Dj'ing !

I already have a macbook pro :)

I was thinking of something like 2 CDJ900's or maybe 2 technics 1210's with traktor scratch pro, but tell me what you'd buy I don't have a budget i'm going to work towards getting them !

Thanks ! Mixer etc please :)

-Luke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Not sure what your wages and costs are but that will probably take a while, but best of luck.

6000 will probably cover any Pioneer set up. Two points here are going to get people animated:

(1) Pioneer brand (but it's not worth it, too expensive, why pay this when you can do the same with a controller at this price, I'd rather buy a controller and put the rest of the money on.....etc.

(2) Technics (it's best to learn to on there, learn to beatmix and don't be a 'sync jockey', they're outdated so there is no point on spending money on them, if you are just playing dance music then use a controller, etc.

Here are my current thoughts (but are a bit variable from time to time)

Only buy Technics if you serious about scratching or just really want to have them/enjoy mixing on them. I have a set and now I use them just for mixing hip hop and scratching after using them for spinning house for 15 years.
    By all means, if you are interested or like playing with them, then get them.

I'm going to ignore the 'intermediate' bit in your post as it's your money and although some people recommend it, it isn't necessary to go the budget gear and slowly buy and sell gear to trade up. If you are dedicated and interested, have the desire and the money, it's up to you how to spend that money.

You stated Pioneer so my 'current' fave setup would be...

The new CDJ nexus players. (yes, they are uber expensive - €1900 each I hear, way too expensive if you are just using them as Traktor controllers, way too expensive if you only want it for USB, wait until they just come out with players with no CD slot as they will be much cheaper)

I have 1000s, I like the feel of them. I prefer not to sync so I like have decent jogwheels. I would definitely prefer a cd driveless player with the pioneer top. Also timecode and cdjs are a bit annoying to use. The HID mode with the 900s and 2000s like to be the job but of couse I'd rather a cheaper cd slotless version.

The 850 looks to be a nice mixer. Some say if you are going to spend that much then keep saving and get the 900nexus. Not sure really. If you are going to Pioneer route using the DJ link between players and the mixer and playing rekordbox edited music from USB then it would be a nice (expensive) setup.

I have the RMX1000 effects unit and I really like it. But the real skill is using effects properly without just creating a big noisey mess. It is absolutely a non essential piece of kit (depending on the music you play and your style of DJing I suppose), especially if you have effects on your mixer and if you are using an X1 or something else to trigger Traktors effects.

Riiiiight, read up about Rekordbox, if you are not going that route and usbs etc and are sticking with Traktor, realise that you are paying premium prices for your Pio gear to use them as controllers for Traktor...

OK, for me, CDJ 2000s (two of) if not using recordbox then the new nexus features won't be of any more use than the older models.
    Mixer - the 900 (I'd link it all up and give the rekordbox thing a go so I would be experienced with Traktor and the Pioneer way)
    Maybe a Traktor X1 although I'm not sure if it's necessary if you are using the HID mode.

Look at all the gear on youtube and the relevant websites and have a read of forums too.

*waiting for the wolves to come and rip my ideas apart....but it is best to get the best bigger picture you can get and go with what you like after that.

Good luck.

Advertisement