Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone use TCD's gym

• 17-09-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for anyone that uses TCD's gym. I've been informed they offer a 1 hr fitness assessment for €12. Does anyone know what this entails?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

They have a super pool which I use a lot, but I find the gym very pokey.

They usually have enough treadmills, but for everything else it is a real scramble.

They also have a separate stretching area, so at least core work can be done away from the gym floor.

As with every gym, going off-peak will make your experience better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Izoard wrote: »
    They have a super pool which I use a lot, but I find the gym very pokey.

They usually have enough treadmills, but for everything else it is a real scramble.

They also have a separate stretching area, so at least core work can be done away from the gym floor.

As with every gym, going off-peak will make your experience better.

Thanks for that. Have you ever done there fitness assessment.

In relation to busy times, have you any idea how it is at 7 in the morning, and does it actually get opened up on time. I'm likely to be on a very tight schedule. I've joined up anyway so I'll find out soon enough, but it would nice to know what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Regarding the opening times, they are absolutely always there. I know the guy that runs it etc and he's often there a six am and would open up specially for weekend morning etc. He's big into fitness. If he's doing the assessment, then I'm sure it will be fine.

As for the gym itself, I think it's rubbish. Nowhere near enough treadmills/cross-trainers/bikes and it's essentially just one big room - which btw has full length window facing out onto the street! Despite this, the windows are never open, and coupled with the swimming pool, it get's pretty warm in there and smells like chlorine. Not a big fan of chlorine, so that's probably my main reason for staying out of there.

Still, worth a look though to see for youself. There's a good enough atmosphere.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably give them a call today to enquire about the fitness assessment.

Any further opinions will be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I use it as its a stone throw from my office. The pool is great but very warm(changing area on the poolside) If you are doing a decent session in there you will sweat a fair bit while getting changed which I hate. At 7am the only people using the pool are swimming lengths and Ive never seen it that busy that early.

The gym itself is fine, has pretty much everything you need. Its pretty quiet up to 11 or so. During term it can get busy with rugby players in there during lunch. They mainly use free weights and benches. Quiet again till about 5pm and like most gyms gets busy after work.

Never done a fitness test with them. I would ask for the guy who runs it to do it for you. Some of the instructors in there look pretty bored working there....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

Hi, I never post on here, but I did get the fitness assessment in the TCD gym recently and I was really happy with it. The instructor incorporated issues I have with an old injury and has chatted to me in the gym from time to time to ask how I'm getting along with it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll think I'll get this done next week.

Advertisement