Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baselayers - The difference?

• 16-09-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a baselayer to keep me warm while running as the temperatures are getting cooler. I've not been running a long time, only a few months, so this is my first purchase of this nature.

I've been doing a bit of online browsing this afternoon and I'm wondering if there's much of a difference between this top - The Nike Pro Core Long-Sleeve Tight Mock Nike and this top - The Canterbury Base Layer Essentials Cold Long Sleeve Canterbury.

From the description the Canterbury sounds more suited to what I'm looking for, though this could be due to a poor description on the other website? I hope to buy one this evening, if they're both the same then buying the Nike one will save me a walk up to Stephens Green.

All help appreciated!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I have the Canterbury Cold long sleeve top and half-tights, and they're absolutely fantastic. Better than wearing a jumper and tracksuit pants.

It'll set you back 50 to 80 quid for a set though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I have the Nike Pro top and an Under Armour top that seems similar to the Canterbury one. The Nike one is lighter and gets used on cold evenings almost year round. The UA one is used for the coldest days of the year. If you check them out in a shop you should feel the difference. THere is also a difference in the collar, high or low. Both of mine have a high collar which usually gets rolled down as I warm up, but thats a matter of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Skins are the only way to go - Best quality and really long lasting...

http://www.skins.net/gb/en/Products/BioAcceleration_Technology/sport/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

As a cheaper option if you just want to try them out Pennys have them in stock for 15 euro a pop! Obviously the quality might not me as good but I bought a couple and they aint bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If you are in France go to decathlon - lots of cheap base layers and they work fine. The Icebreaker base layers are brilliant as well although they are very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I have a Helly Hannson top, it has a synthetic layer against the skin and then a merino wool outer... I have to say its the SH1T. Mine is 2 years old and still going really well!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have a full set of underarmour base, its good for when its really cold, I have skins, but theyre better at slightly higher temperature. I was told +6 degrees, use skins, sub 6, use underarmour.

And if you get underarmour, dont wash it with fabric conditioner.

I want a helly hanson top, everyone Ive asked says they are the one to have.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Oryx wrote: »
    And if you get underarmour, dont wash it with fabric conditioner.

You shouldn't wash any breathable clothing with fabric conditioner it ganks up the pores. (thats the technical term I believe:pac:)

For what it's worth of the ones I have the nike pro, adidas and under amour and cantebury stuff are 'compression' base layers.

Helly, North face, craft etc are active base layers concentrating on comfort, breathability, not being smelly and warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Hi, I actually have a nike top similar to that, and 2 canterury cold ones. The nike one's not bad providing its not too cold, but the Canterbury ones are far better when its quite cold out. I think they are fantastic. All u need is a tshirt over ur baselayer and you're good to go.
    Also, I find that the nike top doesnt soak in the sweat as well as the canterbury tops, and u may end up getting cold when out running esp when its v cold.

Cant go wrong with the Canterbury.

Another thing, I found the cantebury to be a little less restrictive than the underarmour when trying them on, but thats just my opinion..
    You get used to them anyway..
    gud luk with the running..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'd swear by the Helly Hanson baselayer tops myself. I wear them in all weathers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

under armour 4 way stretch so moves better with the body and oesnt stink after a while like canterbury does.
    Helly hanson great but very exspensive.
    Adidas tech fit very good also.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Where is the best place to buy helly henson?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Oryx wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy helly henson?

wiggle or start fitness online, available in 53 degrees north, great outdoors etc also.

Should be able to pick up long sleeve tops for €25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Aldi all the way. Shorts and T shirt.

Advertisement