Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options
  • 03-01-2012 12:20am

20091123164209!TIPP-GAA-CREST.png

The time is nearly upon us for the 2012 season. Got my season ticket in the post the other day and im raring to go.

Lets bring back Liam for starters and hopefully a few more in either code after that
    Án Premier Abú
    Inter-County Fixtures
    Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior hurlers include:-

Please note that the venue for these games are in (brackets)

January 29th @ 1:00pm - v LIT (MacDonagh Park Nenagh) - 2012 Waterford Crystal Cup Hurling Preliminary Round
    February 26th v Kilkenny (Nowlan Park) - 2012 Allianz Hurling League
    March 11th v Galway (Semple Stadium) - 2012 Allianz Hurling League
    March 18th v Waterford (Semple Stadium) - 2012 Allianz Hurling League
    March 24th v Dublin (Dublin venue) - 2012 Allianz Hurling League
    April 1st - v Cork (Semple Stadium) - 2012 Allianz Hurling League
    May 27th - v Limerick (Semple Stadium) - 2012 Munster Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final
    June 24th - v Cork - 2012 Munster Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary beat Limerick)
    July 15th - 2012 Munster Senior Hurling Championship Final (if Tipperary qualify)

Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior footballers include:-

January 8th @ 1:00pm - v LIT (Clonmel Sportsfield) - 2012 McGrath Cup Football Preliminary Round
    February 5th - v Roscommon (away) - 2012 Allianz Football League
    February 12th - v Antrim (home) - 2012 Allianz Football League
    March 4th - v Wexford (away) - 2012 Allianz Football League
    March 11th - v Cavan (home) - 2012 Allianz Football League
    March 18th - v Sligo (away) - 2012 Allianz Football League
    March 24th - v Longford (home) - 2012 Allianz Football League
    April 8th - v Offaly (home) - 2012 Allianz Football League
    May 20th - v Kerry (Semple Stadium) - 2012 Munster Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final
    June 10th - v Cork - 2012 Munster Senior Football Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary beat Kerry)
    July 8th - 2012 Munster Senior Football Championship Final (if Tipperary qualify)

Upcoming fixtures for the rest of Tipperary's Inter-County teams include:-

March 14th v Kerry (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2012 Cadburys Munster Under 21 Football Championship Quarter-Final
    March 28th v Waterford (Tipperary venue) - 2012 Cadburys Munster Under 21 Football Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary defeat Kerry)
    April 14th v Kerry (Kerry venue) - 2012 Munster Minor Football Championship 1st Round
    May 2nd v Kerry (Tipperary venue) - 2012 Munster Minor Hurling Championship 1st Round
    May 20th - v Kerry (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2012 Munster Junior Football Championship Quarter-Final
    May 27th - v Limerick (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2012 Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship Quarter-Final
    June 6th v Cork (Pairc Ui Chaoimh) - 2012 Bord Gais Energy Munster Under 21 Hurling Championship Quarter-Final
    June 10th - v Cork - 2012 Munster Junior Football Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary beat Kerry)
    June 24th - v Cork - 2012 Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary beat Limerick)
    July 18th v Limerick (Limerick venue) - 2012 Bord Gais Energy Munster Under 21 Hurling Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary defeat Cork)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Anyone know when the hurlers are back training and any new additions to the senior hurling panel??

Anyone know when the hurlers are back training and any new additions to the senior hurling panel??

I heard Gerry Walsh from Carrick was called up anyhow. Didnt really look at it much. Id imagine the likes of Buggy O'Meara and co need to step it up big time now as i feel there is places up for grabs in the forwards.

Id imagine the hurlers should be back training soon if they are not back already as they have LIT the end of the month in the Waterford crystal cup.

Sure Noel McGrath could nearly do with a break he was hurling u21 on Stephens day

Reading the Tipp GAA twitter page there. Shane Brophy tweeted
    On this foul night, the Tipp senior hurlers begin their journey to win back Liam Mac #kindofnightswhenallirelandsarewon

Apparently the hurlers were back training 'officially' on January 3rd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

they were training last night (5th).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

Tipp beat UCC today in a challenge match. Was played in 4 quarters.

• Advertisement

Reading the Tipp GAA twitter page there. Shane Brophy tweeted

Apparently the hurlers were back training 'officially' on January 3rd ;)
    Training in groups of 8 since November as far as I know. Rockwell college being used, the Dome in Thurles being used too. Not sure about where they used in the West and up North.

G S R wrote: »
    Tipp beat UCC today in a challenge match. Was played in 4 quarters.

Was up at it. Shane Maher had a decent game as did Adrian Ryan. also its good to see the bit of leanness in the likes of Buggy who this time last year looked out of shape. it seems there is a bit of determination behind the players this year. Still think the management could be offering more communication and encouragement from the sideline though. They are just not Sheedy and Eamon O'Shea in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Was up at it. Shane Maher had a decent game as did Adrian Ryan. also its good to see the bit of leanness in the likes of Buggy who this time last year looked out of shape. it seems there is a bit of determination behind the players this year. Still think the management could be offering more communication and encouragement from the sideline though. They are just not Sheedy and Eamon O'Shea in that regard
    How did Gerry Walsh go?

This time last year Buggy was still in college though so would have been spending more time in the Dome in WIT than the Dome in Thurles :).

Training in groups of 8 since November as far as I know. Rockwell college being used, the Dome in Thurles being used too. Not sure about where they used in the West and up North.
    Rockwell is in the West so I'd say it was South and West in Rockwel and Mid and North in The Dome, at different times I'd imagine.

looder wrote: »
    How did Gerry Walsh go?

This time last year Buggy was still in college though so would have been spending more time in the Dome in WIT than the Dome in Thurles :).

Gerry hurled a good game in fairness to him. He was on Shane Bourke and acquitted himself well. Held him to 2 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Another challenge match this Sunday (http://tipperary.gaa.ie/inter-county-fixtures)

January 15th @ 1:00pm - v Coolderry (Cloughjordan) - 2012 Senior Hurling Challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nice one Tipp Gunner! I was going to set up this thread but alas you beat me!

Bad news, Callanan has an ankle injury. He went under the knife and figures to miss the entire league. Although he has bounced back from injury before I was hoping to see him in a lot of action this year. Anyway, speedy recovery.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/callanan-to-miss-entire-league-campaign-2983517.html

Article also has bits on the UCC/Tipperary game. Actually isn't there a Tipp hurler in UCC? I thought I heard it before and I saw a lad in a Tipperary training top but I don't know if they're exclusive to the team.

Nice one Tipp Gunner! I was going to set up this thread but alas you beat me!

Bad news, Callanan has an ankle injury. He went under the knife and figures to miss the entire league. Although he has bounced back from injury before I was hoping to see him in a lot of action this year. Anyway, speedy recovery.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/callanan-to-miss-entire-league-campaign-2983517.html

Article also has bits on the UCC/Tipperary game. Actually isn't there a Tipp hurler in UCC? I thought I heard it before and I saw a lad in a Tipperary training top but I don't know if they're exclusive to the team.
    Shane Bourke of JK Brackens.

looder wrote: »
    Shane Bourke of JK Brackens.

Must have been. He was on crutches too.

Must have been. He was on crutches too.

Bourke lined out for UCC at corner forward. Must be someone else

Challenge result in Cloghjordan today - Tipp 2-21 Coolderry 1-18.

Best for Tipp were Donagh Maher (younger brother of Shane from Burgess) who was immense at number 5 and even chipped in with a point. Shane Bourke knocked over 3 beauts, 2 of which were from unbelievable angles. Gerry Walsh put in another solid shift as did Adrian Ryan who is an unbelievably accurate striker of the ball.
    Overall Tipp played very well and preparations for the waterford crystal and league are good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

https://twitter.com/#!/officialgaa
    Paul Curran is senior hurling captain for 2012; Padraic Maher is vice captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

ormond lad wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/#!/officialgaa
    Paul Curran is senior hurling captain for 2012; Padraic Maher is vice captain.
    Best of luck to both,well deserved.

Good wins for the Tipp Footballers and Hurlers today.

Anyone know how the 21 footballers are shaping up this year? There will obv be quite a few from the minors coming up but many of them are still underage again for minor this year.
    They've been training sundays in thurles for the past few weeks but does anyone know they are getting on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 monb

Decent first competitive game for the hurlers yesterday. Fairly experimental team but I thought Donagh Maher Adrian Ryan and John Coughlan hurled well. Buggy O'Meara won an awful lot of ball. If can manage to convert that to meaningful games later in the year then he'll be a great addition. I'd expect Shane Maher to nail down the wing back slot this year.

Good to see Shane Maher back on the Tipp panel this year,from what I hear his brother Donagh is doing fairly well with the team also.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Anyone know how the 21 footballers are shaping up this year? There will obv be quite a few from the minors coming up but many of them are still underage again for minor this year.
    They've been training sundays in thurles for the past few weeks but does anyone know they are getting on?

AFAIK only 6 of last years minors are overage this year Ormond. Quinllivan, Seamus Kennedy and Liam McGrath being 3 of them. Hopefully none of those will be rushed onto the senior team this year.

Totally agree about the comments re the Maher brothers and Adrian Ryan. Ryan in particular has sublime accuracy and seems to be full of confidence. Number 5 is Shane Mahers to lose in my opinion. Donagh is very versatile and can play wing or in the corner.

Hope Gerry Walsh gets a run out the next game. Also great to see Buggy back to the similar form which seen him explode onto the panel back in May 2010. Very unselfish player for a number 14.

Shane Brophy, journalist with the guardian in nenagh just tweeted that at a North Bórd meeting tonight, it was said the County Board are looking for a loan from the divisions and there
    Anyone know anything more??

Senior Hurling challenge game.
    Tipp 1-19
    Munster 1-13

Buggy missed a WIT game yesterday due to injury - apparently he got a nasty hand injury during the match Saturday.

rumours that 4 or 5 lads ave been dropped too (Festy, and Lillis included), nothing confirmed as of yet though.

Buggy missed a WIT game yesterday due to injury - apparently he got a nasty hand injury during the match Saturday.

rumours that 4 or 5 lads ave been dropped too (Festy, and Lillis included), nothing confirmed as of yet though.
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=161219

Kerwick chopped as Ryan swings axe

31 January 2012

Pat Kerwick is one of seven players axed from the Tipperary senior hurling panel.

Manager Declan Ryan has re-jigged his squad ahead of the Premier County's involvement in the Waterford Crystal Cup (they face UL in a quarter-final on Saturday) and 2010 All-Ireland winner Kerwick has failed to make the cut.

The Killenaule clubman played in the 2009 All-Ireland final but was a non-playing substitute as Kilkenny were beaten the following September. He has been blighted by injury in recent times.

Others deemed surplus to requirements by the Tipp boss are Stephen Lillis, Paddy Murphy, James Barry, David Collins, Gerry Walsh and Kieran Morris.

Replacing the seven, Shane Maher, Conor O'Brien and Timmy Hammersley are all recalled while Donagh Maher, Johnny Ryan, Sean Curran and Adrian Ryan come in.

Michael Gleeson has withdrawn for personal reasons, Benny Dunne has retired and Seamus Hennessy is injured.

Nice to see O' Brien and Hammersley fight their way back into the squad.

Extended reading of above post here.

What's Shane Maher like? He's getting quite the praise here. I'm only following the game since the beginning of last season, he's been absent so I'm wondering how good he is?

Ridiculous number of Mahers on this team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 monb

What's Shane Maher like? He's getting quite the praise here. I'm only following the game since the beginning of last season, he's been absent so I'm wondering how good he is?

Ridiculous number of Mahers on this team!
    Shane is a good solid hurler. Won't do anything too flash but won't be caught out much either. Its a pity he couldn't commit last year. I'd expect him to have put Henry Shefflin under a lot more pressure than John O'Keefe did.
    He has been in great form for Burgess in the last few years.
    It said in the match programme for the LIT match that this is the most Mahers on a Tipp team since the 1940's or 50's when there was 6.

Re. the players that have been dropped the only two that might have been borderline calls for me were Lillis and Kerwick. In fairness Pat hasn't been able to get back to form because of all his injuries so he probably doesnt merit a panel place at the minute but he could be drafted back in later in the year.
    Lillis has played very well for the Sarsfields but I havent seen much from him in a Tipp jersey. We're well served with hurlers who can slot in at wing back as it is.

Advertisement