Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl e-scooter this week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Thargor wrote: »
    Why do people buy these compared to a decent bike?

I'm a cyclist but the small storage space is a big plus. Not all houses/ apartments have a place for bikes. That's true for workplaces as well. You can ride this to a Luas and hop on with it. You don't have to have a shower after riding it to work (if work has a shower).

I can think of lots of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm a cyclist but the small storage space is a big plus. Not all houses/ apartments have a place for bikes. That's true for workplaces as well. You can ride this to a Luas and hop on with it. You don't have to have a shower after riding it to work (if work has a shower).

I can think of lots of reasons.

+1
    In this COVID-19 times, most workplace shower facilities are closed and could be for unknown period.
    Getting to work without the need to shower, clean-up is a big plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    Back to the original topic.

What's the warranty like on these?

That might make it attractive over the other options as Lidl are good at honouring warranties.

10km range is perfect for what I would use it for.
    A brief search on adverts told me there is far better value to be had from reputable brands with online reviews. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to buy this.

Not really the answer I was looking for.

Anyone know what warranty comes with these?

Also for the record, I cycle and drive, but sometimes I don't want to have to get my bike out for quick nip up to the shops to grab a bottle of milk, or when popping over to my local pool. The walk takes about 20 mins or about 40 mins for the pool.

This would be ideal for a quick pop out without having to change my clothes or protect my legs from chain grease etc.

As for the car, it's a diesel and I prefer to only use it when taking long commutes as constant short spins are bad for a diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FrDougal

If a vehicle goes by itself, it's a mechanically propelled vehicle and requires tax, insurance and licence under Irish Law in order to be driven in public. (ie an e-scooter)

If a vehicle only provides electrical backup to human power, it's legal (ie an e-bike)

Theoretically, driving an e-scooter in public you could be prosecuted to the extent of driving a car without tax & insurance (and a license if applicable)

In practice, the Guards will most likely just seize the vehicle unless they turn a blind eye.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Two_Three_Wheeled_Vehicles/FAQs%20on%20E%20Bikes%20and%20Pedelecs%20and%20battery%20Scooters.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Here's a roads policing Garda seizing two in Terenure last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G12b3kgDwRA

You'll also note the guard makes a lawful demand for rider to produce his insurance for scooter within 7 days. Seeing as no insurance is available for these scooters, the rider will ultimately be summonsed for no insurance and be fined/penalty pointed for same. Also liable for impound fee + daily storage. I think the scooters are useful, but I wouldn't be running the risk of using them on a public road until they are legislated for. The chance of being fined/pointed at the whim of a Garda having a bad day is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Del2005 wrote: »
    The solution to public transport restrictions isn't to use illegal vehicles though. If they change the legislation then these will be a viable option for some people,i still think that a bicycle is a better option, but currently they are not.

The other issue with these is that people are taking them into their workplace. How many workplaces have suitable fire extinguishers?

How would an e scooter differ from an electric car or electric bike in terms of a fire hazard? You could even argue phones, tablets and laptops also. All that said a standard CO2 or powdered graphite extinguisher found in every office floor for extinguishing electrical fires would put one of these out in seconds.

You are fairly intent on emphasising the ‘illegal’ side of all this, it’s a bit much. It was clear from earlier posts that legalising e scooters was in the pipeline and only a matter of time except that an election came and then months of waiting to form a government. While I would be reluctant to use or buy one without clear legal statute in place regarding their usage, it’s hardly crime of the century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'll stick to the bike as long as my legs still work, thanks. I wouldn't be seen dead on this glorified child's toy.

You'll also note the guard makes a lawful demand for rider to produce his insurance for scooter within 7 days. Seeing as no insurance is available for these scooters, the rider will ultimately be summonsed for no insurance and be fined/penalty pointed for same. Also liable for impound fee + daily storage. I think the scooters are useful, but I wouldn't be running the risk of using them on a public road until they are legislated for. The chance of being fined/pointed at the whim of a Garda having a bad day is too great.

Well that’s that decision made then for us until it is legalised. Thanks for posting this video.

I’m trying to find a reason for justifying buying one of these I think they are a great idea. Bikes require effort these don’t which is a major advantage, easy to fold up, easy to store, stick in the boot of the car etc etc. My commute is far too long to use but having own to shoot into town at lunch and back etc and that sort of thing is very appealing.

I wouldn’t go for this would think I’d stick to the well known models around the 400 to 500 euro mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thargor wrote: »
    Why do people buy these compared to a decent bike?

Because they are smaller. You can throw one into the trunk and use as a last-mile commuting device. Not possible with a bicycle.

grogi wrote: »
    Because they are smaller. You can throw one into the trunk and use as a last-mile commuting device. Not possible with a bicycle.

Trunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Heres him again managing to bullsh1t his way out of the same thing with a piece of paper he printed:

Trunk?

Whisky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Trunk?

Jaysus WG... he's just back from his J1 visa trip... It's the tail (or sometimes front hood) of a autobox or stick shift sedan you access when you pull up to the sidewalk after activating your blinkers when you leave the freeway.

EAT MA SHEEET.

Back to the original topic.

What's the warranty like on these?

I read in the comments of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzF0bPQ0b9g

that the warranty is 2 years ... not bad. I'd get my money's worth out of it. Also the comments say that it can be free-wheeled if battery runs out.

Won't be using it on public roads or anything... sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Stay off the paths please.

this is a bargain alert page not a busy body forum

Trunk?

That's where you keep the tires!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Del2005 wrote: »
    How many workplaces have suitable fire extinguishers?

All of them should have under the Fire Services Act and HSWaW Act.

So is the general opinion that this is not worth it?
    I do notice a lack of lever brake which would mean it’s a stand on the rear guard to slow down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

I'll stick to the bike as long as my legs still work, thanks. I wouldn't be seen dead on this glorified child's toy.

I must say I feel the opposite. Very handy getting up those big hills, arriving into work less soaked in sweat but still not taking up room on the road as a car or on a bus.

• Advertisement

Grabbed one of these there today.

First thing that surprised me is how solidly the whole thing is built. A mate of mine bought one off AliExpress last year and first thing I thought was how fragile it seemed. This one is welded perfectly and handlebars are tight. Has a nice solid weight to it all.

The height of the handlebars is also great and even though I'm 6'2 I won't need to lean over.

It has a thumb electric brake as well as the foot one as a backup.

Folding and unfolding is simple and effortless.

Charging her up now so haven't taken it for a spin yet.

2 year warranty and six months warranty on battery. Happy with that, thanks OP.

Out for a spin now on some back roads. Nifty lil bugger. Speed seems to be limited to 11mph but obviously it goes downhill faster.

Brake works great on downhills.

Went up a few 5% inclines and it slowed to around 7mph but did make it up.

But on flats it performs great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ooter

did they get many in each store, the one i was in had none at around 11 am?

flexcon wrote: »
    I must say I feel the opposite. Very handy getting up those big hills, arriving into work less soaked in sweat but still not taking up room on the road as a car or on a bus.

How do you, as a bus passenger, take up more room on the road?

How do you, as a bus passenger, take up more room on the road?

Less people taking the bus -> reduced frequency of bus route -> less buses on the road.

ooter wrote: »

I was first in queue at 8am. There were about 7?

This is in da Wescht so I'd say Dublin would have sold out in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loughleane

Reading the instructions, it says not to use on wet surface or in rain.

loughleane wrote: »

I'd say you could waterproof it easy enough.

I probably will only use it during dry weather though. Will take car if heavy rain.

And they sell this in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Less people taking the bus -> reduced frequency of bus route -> less buses on the road.

You ain’t no Aristotle.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

You ain’t no Aristotle.

Go on.

Edit: Never mind, just had a glance at your e-scooter rant on the commuting forum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd say you could waterproof it easy enough.

I probably will only use it during dry weather though. Will take car if heavy rain.

Whilst it needs to be waterproofed, the problem with the scooters in wet is that they are very unstable and the weeks lose grip very easily

antodeco wrote: »
    Whilst it needs to be waterproofed, the problem with the scooters in wet is that they are very unstable and the weeks lose grip very easily

Possibly though the grips seem solid and I was able to keep it stable on a gritty road going downhill at 20mph.

Now to see if I can change it to show kph instead of mph :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

And they sell this in Ireland...

They've previously sold Mole Repellents here...

Gotta remember, we're not a country to them. Just a checkbox on a stock delivery form.

You're probably looking closer to 8/9km max being honest. It's a 36v 4.8mh battery. This will also struggle up hill. Also to remember is that the solid tyres are quite lethal in wet weather.

Thing to be aware of, this isint like a normal scooter that you push along if the battery dies. They are very difficult to "scoot" manually. There is resistance in the wheel due to the motor, plus at nearly 11KG (plus your own weight) it takes ALOT to move

Just on all this....now that I've actually had a chance to use one...

Uphill works fine in general though if you get a steep incline you can actually pedal it along like a normal manual scooter to give it a boost.

In a lot of ways it's more akin to a e-bike since it needs human assistance to start.

I've used it on wet/gritty roads with steep inclines downhill and the grip is fantastic. No slippage here.

Regarding pushing it along, yes freewheeling is possible. In fact it's required when initially starting. You hold down the accelerator and it doesn't automatically move until you physically pedal it up to 2mph.

When finger is off the accelerator the wheels move freely and it can be pedaled if the battery dies.

Took it out for a spin today around a circuit of pathways with very steep inclines and declines. Whole circuit was 5km. Took 15 mins. 1/2 battery still left which is great considering the power used getting my 80kg frame up those hills.

It's light enough to carry around easily when folded.

Honestly can't fault this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

FYI - not sure if these are hard to get, but for anyone interested it looked like there were at around 5 of them in LIDL Leixlip this afternoon. They are after the checkout area.

markfinn wrote: »
    They've previously sold Mole Repellents here...

Gotta remember, we're not a country to them. Just a checkbox on a stock delivery form.

Whats your point. I bought those repellents and it took care of 13 moles.

Just back from a 12km roundtrip with lights on... Handy for a quick visit to the rellies...one bar of juice left so the 13km distance would seem pretty accurate... Still it had me going along at a steady 11mph throughout so no slowdown apparent apart from occasionally needing to give a bit of pedaling on steep inclines

ooter wrote: »

Glasnevin got 8. Sold out to people in the que there since 7am.
    Hanlon’s Corner in Cabra for 4. Sold to people in que.

I got one in Cabra on my way to work. Got there at 7.30. One in front of me. Then within 5 mins one after me.
    Lidl girl came Down and gave the 3 of us a coupon.

Then the que got to about 15-18. Girl came
    Back down at 7.50 and asked who was looking for scooter. Gave the last coupon to him. About 7 people then left the que so I can only assume they wanted a scooter too.

A few in the que for the €49 nextbase dash cam.

I also used the Lidl app and got €5 off the scooter.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Then the que got to about 15-18.

That's a lot of confused Spanish people!
    Gumbo wrote: »

I also used the Lidl app and got €5 off the scooter.

Same! Every little helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Peregrine wrote: »
    They can detain you if you don't have a licence.

There's some really bad advice and awful takes on this thread.

Lol whoosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

There was still 8 of these in Charleville yesterday evening

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

How are you finding the braking on it? My scooter the braking is ok, but not existent in the wet (thumb brake and rear stomp break aswell).

How are you finding the braking on it? My scooter the braking is ok, but not existent in the wet (thumb brake and rear stomp break aswell).

Seems good though as I mentioned before I won't be taking it out in heavy rain

The tires have good grips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just to chime in,
    we have 2 escooters in the house, one Xiaomi M365 and one Xiaomi M365pro.
    both tuned up a bit with the apps available to tweek the software.
    Dangerous at speed and ppe is really ness,, but great fun and really useful for short shopping trips.
    I only allow my teenage kids on the basic (not Pro) version and only if I am on the Pro with them.

once again, great fun!

• Advertisement

Yeah the speed of more expensive models over the limited ~15mph of the Lidl one would worry me a bit based on the size of these things.

The Lidl goes at a gentle enough pace that it's fairly easy to jump off in an emergency.

If I upgrade I probably won't go all in on souping them up speedwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

I would encourage anyone who owns one to pop an email to your local FF/FG/GP TD and Eamonn Ryan to check timelines for legislation on these.
    I did both this week and got a reply saying they'll get back to me. The more pressure put on this Govt to regulate, the faster it will happen.

Shane Ross dawdled and procrastinated for far too long on it.

As a Cyclist and Motorist, it's an absolute no brainer to get more people on these in our cities, particularly now, in a Social Distancing world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In a lot of ways it's more akin to a e-bike since it needs human assistance to start.

No it’s nothing like an E-Bike as per law an E-Bike requires continuous pedalling. If the pedals stop rotating the engine stops.

It’s more like a kick start on a motorbike

atahuapla wrote: »
    I would encourage anyone who owns one to pop an email to your local FF/FG/GP TD and Eamonn Ryan to check timelines for legislation on these.
    I did both this week and got a reply saying they'll get back to me. The more pressure put on this Govt to regulate, the faster it will happen.

Shane Ross dawdled and procrastinated for far too long on it.

As a Cyclist and Motorist, it's an absolute no brainer to get more people on these in our cities, particularly now, in a Social Distancing world.

Get them where?
    * On the sidewalks where they are far too fast and dangerous for the pedestrians?
    * On the patchy cycle ways, where scooter wheels cannot cope with holes
    * or on the road, where not only it cannot cope with discraseful road quality, it simply is too slow?

They are a brilliant idea, but this idea doesn't work... :(

grogi wrote: »
    Get them where?
    * On the sidewalks where they are far too fast and dangerous for the pedestrians?
    * On the patchy cycle ways, where scooter wheels cannot cope with holes
    * or on the road, where not only it cannot cope with discraseful road quality, it simply is too slow?

They are a brilliant idea, but this idea doesn't work... :(

wow so much wrong with this glass is half-empty post I don't know where to start

• Advertisement
Advertisement