Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia

Options
  • 18-05-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for help.

Has anyone had to go through this recently with their pet and where aloud to be in the room with them when it happened? If so could you send me the name of the practice? Or even a home service?

Our current vet isn't allowing owners in due to covid and we are not going to let that happen.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I cant believe that! So sorry you're going through this at this time. I am allowed to go into my vet for a standard check up!

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

Sadly we had to go through this with our beloved 13.5yr old golden retriever last Friday. It was devastating as he came before our kids and was an incredible dog, more human than dog to be honest.

If we were not able to be with him when he was put to sleep, it would have made the experience so much worse.

Our vet came out to our car with a nurse, he was put to sleep whilst in our boot being hugged and we were parked in a private area. We are based in the south of the country so if that location would work, then PM me and I will give you the name of our vet.

So sorry to hear you are at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry you're going through this.
    My vet is on the Dublin/Meath border, so if that's any use, PM me and I'll send you the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our vet in Dublin has allowed the family in the whole time. They have a separate room and you can have as much time with them as you want.

Look after yourself OP, it’s a horrible situation to be in but it’s the greatest thing we can do for our pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I went through this in March and I was there with her the whole time. I have been in and out of the vet a lot lately with different animals with different small complaints and each time I was allowed in with them. My vet is in Limerick, let me know if that is any use to you and I'll pm the details.

It's such a difficult thing to do and people seem to expect it to be traumatic. I don't know if you have been through this before but the experience is not as unpleasant as I expected it to be. Whenever I had to do this we were always treated with real sensitivity and kindness, despite the fact that I made an absolute spectacle of myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Thank you so much everyone for your replies

I think I was in shock that they would take this stance. We haven't been aloud in the practice since covid but I thought for this there would be exceptions. I emailed every vet practice in Dublin
    and its borders and thankfully all have come back to say that they will let both me and my partner in to be with her. So I'm glad refusing access is not an experience that's standard.

And in a way maybe it's better it's not happening in our local, she really hates going in there so hopefully if we go some where new there might be less fear.

I really do appreciate your messages, I instantly knew I'd get help here if I posted so thank you!

I went through this in March and I was there with her the whole time. I have been in and out of the vet a lot lately with different animals with different small complaints and each time I was allowed in with them. My vet is in Limerick, let me know if that is any use to you and I'll pm the details.

It's such a difficult thing to do and people seem to expect it to be traumatic. I don't know if you have been through this before but the experience is not as unpleasant as I expected it to be. Whenever I had to do this we were always treated with real sensitivity and kindness, despite the fact that I made an absolute spectacle of myself.

We had a wonderful experience with our last dog just 3 years ago in this practice, there was music, incense and blankets, honestly I came away thinking that's how I'd like to go 😅 so this really surprised and threw me.

Hopefully it will be just as caring in the clinic we book into, it's before our dogs time so might not be as easy to let her go but it's better for her. A spectacle will made of myself that day for sure.

tk123 wrote: »
    Our vet in Dublin has allowed the family in the whole time. They have a separate room and you can have as much time with them as you want.

Look after yourself OP, it’s a horrible situation to be in but it’s the greatest thing we can do for our pets.

Thank you tk123

jellybear wrote: »
    So sorry you're going through this.
    My vet is on the Dublin/Meath border, so if that's any use, PM me and I'll send you the details.

Thank you jellybear

Sadly we had to go through this with our beloved 13.5yr old golden retriever last Friday. It was devastating as he came before our kids and was an incredible dog, more human than dog to be honest.

If we were not able to be with him when he was put to sleep, it would have made the experience so much worse.

Our vet came out to our car with a nurse, he was put to sleep whilst in our boot being hugged and we were parked in a private area. We are based in the south of the country so if that location would work, then PM me and I will give you the name of our vet.

So sorry to hear you are at that point.

Thank you infoseeker

I'm so sorry for your loss but I am so glad you got to be with him, like you she's our first born 😅 and I can't think of life without her so we want to do our best til the end and that's being there with her. Thank god other practices are not operating the same way

• Advertisement

Ashbx wrote: »
    I cant believe that! So sorry you're going through this at this time. I am allowed to go into my vet for a standard check up!

Where are you based?

Thank you Ashbx

I still can't believe it but thank god it's not the case in other practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

So sorry you're going through this. I am literally doing the same thing this evening with my dog, the vet has said we can go in with him.

Its heart breaking enough without the thought of him being without us.

Advertisement